>Tom platz did high bar squats
>Arnold did high bar squats

b-but I thought they were a meme?

If you PL do low bar if you dont, do either

Lu Xiaojun. High bar squats.

Do whatever you want.

who fucking cares, do whichever style you like

it doesn't matter unless you plan to compete

Lowbar squats let you lift more so it' useful if you want to be a fat powerlifter who can meme lift a lot of weight.

IT LITERALLY

DOESNT

MATTER

lowbar developed my back like crazy. I actually got way stronger deadlifts from it and vise versa. It doesn't put nearly as much pressure on my knees. Plus i went from 180kg max to 220 in a few months.

If you wanna be a powerlifter: Do whatever you're stronger with
If not: Do whichever you like more

high bar pros:
>less stress on lower back
>larger range of motion
>more quad involvement
>less dangerous (only applies when you're strong enough to be lifting heavy weight, 4 plate+)

cons:
>you're gonna need squat shoes to do them proeprly
>more stress on the knees
>if you want to lift the absolute maximum weight possible on squats they aren't for you

>Lowbar squats let you lift more
Not true. There are lots of guys lifting in the IPF and even breaking records who squat High-bar. Most recent example is John Haack with 298kg in the 83kgs.

the exceptions that prove the rule

You need far more upper back strength for high bar squats

having a strong upper back is a good thing

any exercise that strengthens your upper back or encourages you to strengthen your upper back is a good thing

Anyone know why High bar really kills my groins? My form is fine, is it just my stance?

haack doesn't really highbar, he just has a super upright lowbar because he's a mechanically efficient turbochad

>squatting low bar

kills your groin as in works your adductors well or kills your groin like joint paint?

if it's the first one that's a good thing if it's the second one it's hard to work out what's from with someones squat without a video

Just do low bar and front squat. High bar is totally unnecessary.

Except that squat is not really an upper back exercise. Thats like saying that axle deadlift is better because it encourages your forearm strength.

Low bar is totally unnecessary

>low bar squats are great because they work more mussels, look they work your lower back more!
>high bar squats are bad because they work your upper back, you don't want that because they aren't an upper bar exercise

Its a leg exercise user. Your leg development will not be maximized. Ask anyone who does squats why they do squats. You wont find anyone who answers its bcs they want huge upper back. They do it for legs.

and the same thing for low bar:

It's a leg exercise user. Your leg development will not be maximized. Ask anyone who does squats why they do squats. You wont find anyone who answers bcs they want a huge lower back. They do it for legs.

pic related in the middle is tom platz, you know what kind of squats he did? high bar. Guess it really held him back huh

in reality unless you have a dangerously weak upper back it isn't a limiting factor to getting strong and big legs

wtf sort of logic is that? Row's are a back exercise, but also put some work onto the forearms and biceps and rear delts, nobody skips on them for them not "maximizing back development"

Rippertoads is a valuable source for many newbies but never, never follow his routine advice. Read his book and do GSLP, then move to PPL.
With that said, Front Squat is the ultimate Squat Pill. Less strain on your back, less but more effective load, less chance (actually, no chance at all) to good-morning-ize your squat.
Once you obtained wrist mobility and a good strength foundation you have no reason to back squat if not for ego lifting.

I never say that high bar wont give you huge legs. Its just that low bar is better.

You can say that biomechanically, high bar is a hybrid between low bar and front squat. Front squat requires the most upper back strength out of the three.

This is the exact reason why back squat is generally preferred for building legs than front squats.

I don't like low bar, I think its my long torso that makes them difficult. I've never trusted them and will always do high bar squats but just go deep for added diffiiculty.

Guarantee lots of the people on Veeky Forums who have big squat PRs dont go deep enough, atg is a meme but you should go fucking deep, its the best way to exercise your glutes and thighs.

low bar will give you more total muscular development but low bar will give you better leg development

the difference in upper back strength for front squats is vastly higher than high bar squats. it's completely false to say in terms of upper back strength that high bar is in the middle of low and front, it's MUCH closer to low bar in terms of upper back strength

High bar will give you better leg development*

>three people like high bar squats
woah... really makes you think

>succesful s&c coach that popularised 5x5 training
>bodybuilder known for having the best leg development of his generation
>most famous bodybuilder ever

yes, just three random people

I could have listed more but it's just to make the point

Enjoy your compressed discs.

>
>If you wanna be a powerlifter: Do whatever you're stronger with
>If not: Do whichever you like more
The best answer.

cool pic. this never occurred to me but it's obvious now

that said, tons of powerlifters talk about upper back strength for squats, so it's really a moot point with the same conclusion (do your rows)

can't stand this cunt

do low bar if you are stronger with it, or you have hip flexibility issues. do high bar if you are stronger with it, or if you have autism and enjoy lifting less weight

>an olympic lifter did a Weightlifting squat

Huh, I wonder why. Also Lu is a one in a million on buckets of literal horse steroids.

Are high and low bar squats truly the skub of lifting?

Oly lifters look pretty good dont they ?

Do whatever is comfortable for your body mechanics and allows you to progress

So that's why high bar squats hurt my knees.

Not my case, bro. I find quite hard lifting more weights when lowbar.

Does anybody perform hyperextensions here? Why everyone is whining about back strain? It's always useful to train your back for helping your squats, specially highbars....