What is the closest thing real life has given us to a legendary hero, like the ones from greek myths or movies?

What is the closest thing real life has given us to a legendary hero, like the ones from greek myths or movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kulikovo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_stand_on_the_Ugra_river
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alexander the Great

Well, he did lead his army from the front, and engaged personally in combat a lot, so I guess it's a good answer.

Harald Hardrada is a good example
> Exiled noble with kingly claim
> Adventures to Russia, fights all over Eastern Europe
> Gets a loyal following, goes to Byzantium
> Joins Varangian guard, fights everywhere, from Anatolia to Sicily, involved in tons of important battles and events
> Gets incredibly rich
> Court politics too hard/boring for him, goes back to russia (has to pull some cool escape to do so), visits buddies, marries a Rus princess
> Goes to Norway again, presses claim against his nephew Magnus
> Politics ensues, they reconcile as co-rulers with Magnus as lead
> Magnus ends up dead randomly, but names another fuck as heir of Denmark
> Harald fights this asshole for ages, epic battles etc.
> Doesn't work out
> Invades England eventually, we all know the story

I saw kings and generals latest video too :^)

How did the nords go from a warrior society to a traders society in less than 300 years? I will never know.

Marx and Lennon

>Lennon

Who?

Sully Sullenberger faggot

Alexander is probably the closest

I didn't even know this channel until now, I just took a course on Rus and such last quarter. Looks pretty awesome though.

Here's another: Babur
> Exiled prince when pre-teen in Ferghana
> Uzbek friend/godfather Shaybani takes throne and sister hostage, forces a marriage
> he's super close to his sister, but lets it happen and goes in exile to afghanistan
> Shaybani gets bored of her, marries her to some random officer, Babur gets real pissed
> as a teen, Babur survives on banditry and amasses a following
> Ends up in power in Kabul, a rich and literary city, learns poetry and botany
> tries about 3 times to take his homeland back
> all fail, but becomes a badass in the process
> the Iranians finally defeat his Uzbek nemesis, return his sister
> gets guns from the ottomans, decides to just leave central asia, the Uzbeks are still a big issue
> Ends up conquering North India in extremely short time in the process
> Still finds time to write tons of poetry

FPBP

john
famous musician

Except it's a shit post and you're retarded

Bernadotte?
Also not the closest but Arnie fits the bill for a modern version pretty well. Including hybris leading to his downfall

Genghis Khan.

This

>Babur

Now that's someone I hadn't heard of, he sounds like a pretty cool guy.

Fuck off Bolshevik scum. I will hang all commies I see IRL.

Me.

I don't recognize neither of those names desu

Was he amazing in personal combat?

this

He founded the Mughal Empire and was a pretty typical Timur-style brutal steppe conqueror. On the flip side, he abhorred his own alcoholism (he was attracted to ascetism), wrote hilariously witty and self-deprecating poetry, loved animals and flowers, and had a keen eye for modern technology.

He was also Veeky Forums, was shy and bashful around his first wife, even after they had a kid, and generally preferred being a celibate poet to married life. He made his older sister the first lady/empress, and spent most of his free time with her, to the dismay of his wives.

We only know so much because he wrote an autobiography, and ran across some guys who ended up as famous poets who wrote about him. But its fascinating to read about life in those times.

lemon

Is this a joke and my spelling is off?
The french general that got king of sweden and then fucked napoleon over?

Schwarzenegger? Tall guy, muscles, plays in movies?

Russian history's pretty romantic. Maybe there's someone there?

Besides people, the relation between the Battle of Kulikovo in 1380 - various Russian principalities, united, defeat a Mongol army near the Don river, the first major resistance against the Mongol yoke - and the great stand on the Ugra river, which ended mongol influence, exactly a hundred years and a month later reads almost like a fairy tale.

Wikipedia's got some decent articles on it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kulikovo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_stand_on_the_Ugra_river

pre-modern figures are basically mythological ya simps

Napoleon

Honestly when you conquer pretty much the whole known world and a pretty good chunk of the unknown world with just 40-80k guys, and you lead the charge yourself in attacks, that's damn impressive.

Anyone who writes these walls of "epic-ised" text outs himself as a redditor and everybody that reposts it outs himself as a redditor without knowledge of history

Look through the the recipients of different nations highest military honours
Some of those men sound superhuman tbqh

The American Civil War produced some battle hardened, iconic Generals that led attacks and bled for their men. Closest modern example of "legendary heroism" that I can think of.

>''epic-ising''
Hi r*ddit

fpbt

villain*

Heraclius

(((You)))

Wasn't he also a descendant of Timur?
He's known as the founder of the 3 turkic gunpowder empires together with the safevids and ottomans.

Probably the greatest human to have ever lived.

Yes, a Timurid from his father and a Chagatai (son of Genghis Khan) Mongol from his mother.

Babur himself hated his ancestry, calling them both savages.

The second I saw the thread I knew this would happen.

Reasonably, yes.