Give it to me straight Veeky Forums, I am currently bulking and according to MyFitnessPal...

Give it to me straight Veeky Forums, I am currently bulking and according to MyFitnessPal, find myself always going way above my macros, usually protein and fat. In addition, I'm always going way above my daily cholesterol and sodium.

How detrimental is this going to be to me in the long run?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vBtfzd43t8o&t
youtube.com/watch?v=OIZaZq5lUew
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig's_law_of_the_minimum
youtube.com/watch?v=8g8ASQZ0dZw&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

High sodium is a meme. I eat spoonfuls of it at a time

I would really watch the sodium more than anything.

pretty much this

also cut out some processed crap from your diet

I only eat clean. The things I eat are just naturally high in sodium. After eating eggs, chicken breast, beans, etc by the end of the day my sodium intake is way higher than 2500 mg

Eating eggs and chicken you may want to watch your cholesterol and saturated fat also. Under 300mg a day for cholesterol, and under 20 grams of sat fat a day.

is this actually true? I was told on here that dietary cholesterol is not a bad thing, and saturated fats are good. Eating just three eggs in the morning boosted all of that sky high

The science is pretty clear that dietary cholesterol and saturated fat is directly responsible for the heart disease epidemic in the West, particularly in the States. It also contributes to certain types of cancer, and even dementia and Alzheimer's later in life.

But don't take my word for it, research it yourself. It's equal parts sobering, scary, and interesting.

Why is your sodium intake that high?
Do you use a ton of salt? do you eat premade meals?
Canned food has tons of salt usually.

I eat that amount of eggs every day (now down to two because aggressive cut) and my cholesterol showed up fine in blood tests. Also the lipid density in my blood is low-normal.

Idk, I thought I was eating healthy but I exceeded my fat and my sodium, and cholesterol. Here is my entire diet from the other day; note I am trying to bulk, and I don't eat processed or premade foods, and I still wasn't even able to hit my calorie goal

imgur.com/a/zPB3R

Don't use scare tactics like that. News/media liked to publish that since along time ago till recently or today still, but the actual impact comes from:
>very low to zero daily activity
>obesity
>unblanced diet

But user, your food IS processed and premade.
Look:
>Special K
The fuck do you think it is?
>PF Whole Wheat
Check the nutrients man, also bread usually has a lot of salt, just because it says 100% whole wheat it doesn't mean it is good bread. Tip, if it comes in a plastic bag, don't.
>Sargento Cheddar
Again, wtf do you think this is? Cheese is already processed milk, and now it's your standard yellow murican stuff. What do you expect.
>Rotessiere chicken breast oscar mayer
Man, again, this will have TONS of salt. This is processed and premade food.
>Canned peas
same
>Sea Salt pumpkin seeds
Basically salt
etc. etc. etc.

Buy fresh meat, like RAW nigga, a butchered chicken, not slices for a sandwich, and cook it yourself.
Buy actual whole wheat carbs, like brown rice and brown pasta. Brown bread != healthy, it's usually just white bread with colouring.
Unless it's brown from a bakery and it tastes somewhat like cardboard to you americans.
If you want cheese... I don't know, find something with less salt.

Now I feel I jumped into a troll thread. Do this chart, but cook it yourself, if you buy it ready to eat, it's not raw (besides creme, cheese, etc.). Your sodium levels will be fine.

My intention isn't to scare him, just to recommend looking at both sides of the argument, especially since he admits to being told that saturated fat is actually *good* for you. That's all.

Studies have been done that corrected for the lack of activity you speak of. Sure, it seems to help to be active, but there's still a dire link between saturated fat and heart disease (and other things). No amount of jogging can correct for it. That's why you hear of 40-year-olds with amazing bodies keeling over dead in the gym.

the question then becomes is it even worth it for OP or anyone to clean bulk in the first place

what is the point? As long as you aren't eating like complete trash and you're an active, young individual, you'll be fine.

And there is nothing wrong with eating too much sodium, especially if it's less than 5 grams.

AND DIETARY CHOLESTEROL HAS NO EFFECT ON YOUR BLOOD CHOLESTEROL

what the, like who? eating saturated fat is fine, it's trans fat you need to avoid. I thought a million studies have come out saying sugar, especially added sugar, is the root cause of heart disease and most of America's problems?

cholesterol by itself will probably not be enough to give you heart disease, but it's good to be on the safe side

the research is mixed but it does point towards a link

i would worry more about saturated fat than cholesterol though, cholesterol seems to have a much minor impact

youtube.com/watch?v=vBtfzd43t8o&t

youtube.com/watch?v=OIZaZq5lUew

Yes, they're vegans. But that doesn't mean you can't listen to their arguments. Take them with a grain of salt, if you wish (haha).

I wouldn't attribute it still to a single nutrient. Otherwise it would manifest itself in a different way. There's no evil nutrient (other than poisons, extreme carcinogens) just bad balances.
People with terrible hearts comes usually from (besides a ton of other reasons)
>weren't active when young
>only now that they are old
>terrible diet, with, yes a lot of fats, but also very high glucose content and lack of other shit
I used to be very thin (I mean, I am low bf%, but when I was very dyel) and had a very high triglyceride content in my blood, which lead to high blood pressure and shit. Like I said, levels are very good now and I still eat white bread, pasta, rice, eggs every day, milk every day, etc.

No way, I wouldn't advise it. Think of it this way, imagine the body as a bucket made of planks of wood. It can only hold as much water as the shortest plank, pic related.
If you don't clean bulk, your carb or fat plank of wood will rise to the heavens and your protein one might stay low, in turn giving you low muscle built during the bulk. Same for every other necessary nutrient.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig's_law_of_the_minimum

I mean, no need to go batshit insane over diet, just don't completely neglect it. Calories in calories out is not enough for good health.

I agree that it's only one part of the puzzle, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't limit your intake.

Also, cooked meat is now considered a level-1 carcinogen by the World Health Organisation.

I'm afraid it's terminal user, someday soon you're going to die.

hi, OP here. Are the sliced chicken and sargento cheese really that bad? They are just super convenient for making foods and sandwiches which have been really helpful to make sure I get enough calories.

Both of them only have like 5 ingredients each:

>Chicken: Chicken breast meat, water, salt, carrageenan, turbinado sugar, baking soda, cultured celery powder.
and it says on the box raised without added hormones, no nitrates, and no nitrites

>Cheese: pasteurized milk,cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto

nigga what

A single egg seems to have around 373 cholesterol according to google. I eat anywhere from zero to four eggs a day depending on my diet and whether or not I need a quick source of protein.

The fuck? You can't even eat a SINGLE egg without fucking yourself over?

From what I can tell, that's about accurate.

youtube.com/watch?v=8g8ASQZ0dZw&

As a rule of thumb you should eat a variety of foods.

Also you should go easy on the cheese since it's packed with unhealthy fats and sodium.

Nice dubs though.

As an athelete you can probaby get away with eating a few eggs, but if you're an average guy 1 egg is the most you can eat.

Those videos are super biased although it's not like they are wrong, just biased in the interpretations.
Let's consider this:
>people with high cholesterol are either fat to obese and/or sedentary
>those people in turn are the main population dying from heart disease and related problems
Who doesn't have high cholesterol?
>Non sedentary people
>People with balanced diets
Eating eggs won't kill you. In order to reach a bad level of cholesterol you'd need to be eating unhealthy for a long time anyway, so you'd need to fix more than just that.

Nah, don't worry, it's not like that. Negro here is just from the vegan team with scare tactics.
Nothing wrong with vegan, but their way of spreading their ideology is just like that.

It's not that they are bad (I wouldn't eat them regularly though). But fucker, you asked about high sodium, and SALT IS SODIUM.
>chicken
>water, salt, carrageenan, turbinado sugar, baking soda, cultured celery powder
>salt, sugar, baking soda (salt)
check the amount of salt in that shit
>cheese
>pasteurized milk,cheese culture, salt, enzymes, annatto
>salt
check again how much salt

Check for the rest too, it comes up there in MFP, just click on display nutrients (on each foodstuff, not overall per day), you'll see your problem foods per day.

Cut out the cheese. Unless it's cottage cheese, it's doing next to nothing for you.

Don't by pre-sliced chicken. I know it's more convenient, but it's usually ultra-processed and not as good for you.

I like to buy frozen chicken breast very in bulk for very cheap. I toss about 5-6 pounds in my pressure cooker before the gym and by the time I'm done I've got grilled chicken breast for the week.

so cottage cheese is good for you? what determines if a dairy is good or bad? On a related note, I have heard so much now how milk is terrible for you is this true? I like to drink glasses of milk and add them to my smoothies also

numale

fuck you just made me realise how much I miss living up the street from a chinese bakery
their bread was so, so good best sandwiches i've made
now i have shit filipino bakeries and grocers that stock decent bread 1 in 10 visits

Doesn't matter what you're told here, you should be researching for yourself, eg. why saturated fat is bad, impact of dietary cholestrol. The thing about saturated fat is that it encourages your liver to manufacture cholestrol, my understanding of dietary vs. synthesised cholestrol isn't as clear as it should be, but that shit helps regulate hormones and is a precursor to Vit D

Saturated fat and dietary cholestrol are "bad" if you don't do anything with them, like how 2/3s of Americans are overweight or obese. If youre active, that shit turns into test

Research what you're eating more than you have been, and don't fall for the vegan alarmist bullshit - this is coming from a vegetarian

sodium is only ever detrimental if you already have high blood pressure. if you dont it has 0 relevance on long term cardiovascular disease

pretty much this, nice to see a vegetarian that isn't absorbed into that cult mentality.
My understanding is that high fat+high refined carbs is what is actually bad because having high insulin all the time means you dont actually get to use that fat, while high carb vegan or keto both have their merits since you don't have the issue of excess fat not being used. There might be the case of genetics which make someone fare better on one diet or the other or there might be one that is clearly superior, we can not know that for sure with the available research. I for one have tried both for over 3 months each and have fared better on keto. Energy levels were still good on veg but I didn't seem to have the same potential for long term mental focus.
Nowadays I do keto with very low meat ( about 2-3 times a week or so) and eat like 30-60g carbs 1h before a high intensity workout.
While both diets have brought great improvements to my health and quality of life the biggest impact has been by far intermitent fasting and periodic long term fasting which have solved all of my long term health problems such as permanent clogged sinuses(alergies probably), keratosis pilaris, and my general predisposition to infections and common colds.