How many years lifting did it take you to realize PPLPPLx is the best routine for naturals?

How many years lifting did it take you to realize PPLPPLx is the best routine for naturals?

Other urls found in this thread:

muscleandstrength.com/workouts/arnold-schwarzenegger-volume-workout-routines
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too many.

The shit is boss.

4 years for me. It is the greatest, muscles exploding in size

Tried it once and it was detrimental to my goals.

I'll stick to full body since I do gymnastic strength training.

why not PHUL?

It took me a bit over 5 years, and I've been lifting 6 years, here's what I did.

>5x5 Full body
>Upper/Lower
>Typical Bro-split
>Back to Upper/Lower
>Back to Full Body
>Spent awhile going from Upper/Lower to Full-Body to Bro-split every 2-3 months.
>Realized I had stalled on all 3 of those routines, couldn't make progress no matter what I did on those 3 routines.
>Decide to try PPLPPL
>Most comfortable I've ever felt with a routine
>Everything feels very balanced
>Actually making progress again
>Able to lift heavy AND able to get nice pumps
>Overall best I've ever felt and looked while lifting.

>gymnastic strength training™

Ftfy Mr Sommers

What the fuck is PPLPPLx?

My current routine is back day, chest day, leg day, then rest day then alternating between free weights, machines, and cables every consecutive week with drops, supers, and slow reps for muscle confusion. Should I switch?

Whats a good PPL template?

After I graduated from home gym to actual gym, I looked at the various programs and concluded PPL was best because it gave 72 hour rest between each muscle group, and didn't try to hit a muscle as support the next day that was abused the previous 1-2, with few exceptions. And it worked everything twice per week.

I havent hit the 3/4 standard but ive been at the gym for over 2 years, can i just start PPL? I have back problems

coolcicada or similar with dl

I do a PPLPPLx about 20 sets for each day. Do as much weight as you can to barely complete each set (so like 1 or 2 reps left int he tank at the end of the set) Move up or down in weight between sets as you need to. A lot of this is Arnold's "advanced lifting" plan, incorporated into my own PPL routine. Rest 1 minute in between sets

Push:
Incline Bench 4sets: 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps
Flat Bench: 4x10,8,6,4
OHP: 4x10,8,6,4
Incline DB Press: 3x10,8,6
Incline Flies 3x10,8,6
DB Pullovers: 2x15

Pull:
Pendlay Rows: 4x8-12
Romanian Deads: 3x10,6,4
T-Bar Rows: 4x15,12,8,6
Wide Grip Pullups 4x10 minimum
Close Grip chins: 4x10
Curls: 2x10

Legs:
Squats: 4x10,8,6,4
Front Squats: 4x10,8,8,6
Hack Squats: 3x10
Leg Curls: 4x20
Calf Raises: 2x15

Do abs every day, and Forearms (4x10 DB forearm curl, 3x10 reverse) 3 days per week

What’s a good PPLPPL routine, boys?

Done it for last year, works amazingly, but I'm going to have to switch up soon because I'm stalling out pretty hard. Already switched up my lifts a few times in the last year.

I'm getting sick of Veeky Forums and it's meme acronyms

PPL is not a meme you fucking degenerate it is probably the best intermediate lifting program available.

Same here.

PPL is push-pull-legs from what I understand but nobody fucking explains anything here so it's just a guess

I do that but it's more 3 day full body doing push pull and cardio

>bench and OHP on same day
Yeah, no thanks

I do Mondays heavy OHP and thursday heavy bench

It's literally fine, why not? Because rip said so?

How long do you guys spend in the gym doing PPLPPLx?

I'm a math student (muh 300k starting) and I do lots of homework and it eats up a lot of time. I have a tough time getting into the gym more than 4x a week. And when are you supposed to do cardio?

you can't get max on both if they're the same day, each should be the first set of the day

any results with that? looks like trash

That's a rip thing and it's not true. Look at weightlifters and powerlifters who do huge amounts of volume on the same lift every day and bodybuilders, who smoke bodyparts with high volumes

You can bench and ohp in the same day, it's fine, I assure you.

Because you'll be weaker on the second exercise. I guess it only really matters if you're going for strength.

If i use rack pulls in Coolcicadas additional to bb rows am i memeing myself? i cant do deadlifts due to lower back pain and rack pulls seem to be alright

same lift is not two different lifts?

doing bench, flyes, pecdeck, incline etc all on the same day is different

>rip thing
No, many starting programs have you do those as first lift of separate days.
>bodybuilders
Most bodubuilding programs look like this:
muscleandstrength.com/workouts/arnold-schwarzenegger-volume-workout-routines
There is a reason people are not doing Shoulders & Chest on same day

Of course you can do bench and press on the same day. You can also squat 6 times a week, or do 40 sets of deadlifts.

But you want to be as efficient as possible. You want to maximize your results. Doing bench before press will have a negative effect on the latter. The first exercise will affect the second, because they both depend on some of the same muscle groups.

>all these autist arguing about ohp and bench on same day

On PPL, you do heavy bench then light ohp, then on the 2nd push day you do heavy ohp and light bench, with other lifts like incline bench, flys or dips chucked in after that.

Fucking dweebs, use your brains.

just do an upper/lower split then. cardio after lifting or on its own day

This.

Lifted for 4 years and now im on PPL and loving it.

It's still inefficient if you want the best of both worlds. When you say light weight you actually mean volume right? Because it's retarded to do the same amount of reps but with lower weight just to save strength/energy for next lift. And if you do volume then either bench or OHP will still suffer as with heavy lifting because your not supposed to go easy on volume either.

PPL is retarded. Doing bench and OHP in the same day is fucking stupid and serves no purpose other than minimizing your potential gains. Same as pull day really.

Upper/Lower with shoulders on lower day is superior

meant to say
...next lift or because you went heavy on previous lift.

There's no such thing as having "best of both worlds".

You're not getting optimal OHP and Bench pressing strength on ANY program, not even the best power-lifting programs, so to use that as an excuse for PPL being "bad", yeah you're retarded.

Hell, most of the most popular powerlifting routines tell you NOT TO OHP BECAUSE YOU SHOULD PUT ALL THAT EFFORT INTO BENCH.

PLEASE UPLOAD UNCENSORED VERSION OF THIS

LMAO.

Upper/Lower has even MORE lifts on the Upper day...so your reasoning makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Upper = Chest/Back/Traps/Delts/Arms

Push = Chest/Delts/Triceps
Pull = Back/Traps/Biceps

GG you lose.

reverse search

>powerlifting
Of course those fat fucks don't care about OHP

I split it into
A= Chest and back
B= shoulders and arms
C= legs
Works really well for me

>why do people use abbreviations WAH
>why am I not being spoon fed WAH
>why do I need to learn board culture before I post WAH
Either lurk more or fuck off, read the sticky

>having a dedicated leg day
Seriously? I just do Push Pull 4 times a week and tack on 3x5 squats to push days and 3x5 deadlifts to pull days as the last exercise. If that's enough to make you t-rex, it's enough to give you big legs for aesthetics.

>Upper/Lower has even MORE lifts on the Upper day

So? You don't use the same fucking muscles like you do with bench and OHP. Chest/back on upper shoulder/legs on lower.

>isolating arms and traps

waste of time, basically proves PPL is a glorified brosplit

Brosplits aren't inherently bad for building muscle, they're just suboptimal, the worst aspect being, that every muscle is only hit once a week. PPL hits every muscle twice a week, just like a 4x UL split. Fatigue management on PPL is better because you don't have to use as much muscle mass on a given day. Believe it or not, but your heavy benching is affecting your rows later in the workout. Volume can be increased on PPL if so desired, because you gym sessions are shorter and you only have to focus on a couple of muscles on a given day so you can fatigue them more without having any adverse effects on the rest of your training and more volume means more muscle.

>Chest and tris
>Back and bis + squats
>Shulders and bis

Add various ab exercises and a jog after each workout.

I can see why people would consider to be one muscle group, because it pretty much is (pectoral major) but the back is a whole array of different muscles (superior, middle, inferior trapezius, latissimus dorsi, infraspinatus, erector spinae) that require different movements patterns to hit them properly.

So should I not start PPL if I'm new to lifting?

>t. lifting for 3 months
What a shit routine lmao

Whats a push and a pull anyway? Seems a bit arbitrary, any routine where you hit smaller muscles with higher frequency and bigger muscles with slightly less frequency is probably good. The idea of finding how much volume I need to grow and can do by just doing more and more volume until you need a deload has been more useful to me than trying to find the "perfect split" ever was. If you are doing 10 sets a week for chest and you could be doing 20 and still recovering its a lot more important to realize than to wonder if PPL is better.

I'm sure most people are saying PPLPPLx is better simply because they've come from brosplits and the total volume is just much higher.

>A widely used acronym
>Part of muh board culture
>Not just helping the guy out

i see absolutely nothing wrong with this routine

Post yours

bro you should drop leg day and youre fine
if you keep doing leg day they will absorb all your protein and youll never get swole come on bro this is common sense

>no standard deadlifts
Right into the fucking garbage

QTDDTOT exists for a reason bud

Yeah that's why you alternate m8. First push of the week, do heavy bench 5x5, then do lighter OHP for something like 3x8-12. And do the reverse the next day, heavy OHP and light bench.

PPL is a great beginner program, but the main downside is that you're in the gym 5-6 days a week, which can be overwhelming for a newbie compared to starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 where you're only lifting 3x a week. If you have the time and discipline, there's no reason not to do PPL as a beginner.

That's why I do PPLxPPLx but I do shoulders together with legs.

deads, pullups, rows and squats would be enough.

Shoulders would hit the rest of the back on dumbbell shoulder press and ohp.

Luckily, I started pplx first try.

Can you post your progress and your routine so we can compare results and others can decide for themselves?

I did pplx for 3 years and 10 months with the following exercises.

Push
DB OHP 4sets increasing weight 12-8 reps
Superset with DB front raise 12 reps
DB Incline fly 4 sets 12 - 8 reps
Superset with Db Lateral raise 12 reps
DB flat bench fly 3 sets 8 reps
Superset close grip Db to failure
Hanging leg raises 4 sets of 12
Superset with side crunches and Incline twists 4 sets of 20
Weighted dips 4 sets of 10, last set to failure with no weight
Finish with light pec deck 4 sets of 12 and to failure on last set
Or finish with Tricep push downs 4 sets of 12
Stretch

Pull
Pendlay row 4 sets of 12-8 reps increasing weight
Close grip pull down 4 sets of 12-8 reps
Superset with wide pull up 4 sets 12-8 reps
Preacher curls 4 sets of 12
Superset with reverse curls 4 sets of 12
Db row 4 sets of 12
Superset with rear delt fly 4 sets of 12
Finish on isolateral row machine 4 sets of 12
Or finish with bodyweight pull ups 4 sets to failure
Stretch and use wrist roller at home

Legs
Squat 5 sets, 12 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps.
Rigid leg deadlift 5 sets of 8-12 reps
Calf raises 4 sets of 12 reps
Superset with light Good mornings 4 sets of 12
Quad extension 4 sets of 12 reps
Superset Hamstring curl 4 sets of 12 reps
Stretch

>believes in a "best" routine
>not a beginner

The name of the game is staying ahead of adaptation. If you lift long enough, you won't be doing one single style of training for all that long. Eventually you'll reach a point where getting stronger will require you to do mass training or getting bigger will require you to get stronger, you'll find yourself isolating for strength/performance and even cardio kettlebell kipping backflips and what have you.

You'll do it all. There is no 1 golden training routine. Everything works but nothing works forever.

> not doing PPPPPPP

pleb

1,5 hours most of the time

How do people manage a PPLxPPLx routine?
Isn't it extremely annoying to have rest days moving to different days each week?

To add to the OHP + Bench discussion,

I moved shoulder iso's + OHP to leg day,
and diddly to back day.
Working well, so far

>not doing PPPFFT

You do PPLPPL starting on Monday and lift throughout the week including Saturday and have Sunday off. Only atheist neckbeards lift on Sundays.

Yeah, duh

What im asking is, how do people do it when they take the 8 day (or 4 technically) routine, that includes a rest day after every 3 days of lifting.
Or is it something just for NEETs who cant handle 6 days straight yet and all days are weekend days

Is this alright? I got back issues so im trying to avoid diddys

Push:
Flat BB BP
3x5
Seated/Standing BB Shoulder/OHP
3x5
Incline BB BP
3x5
DB Side LR
3x10-12
Rope Pushdowns
3x10-12
Overhead Dumbell Extension
3x10-12
Shrugs
3x10-12

Pull:
Rack Pulls
3x5
BB Rows
3x5
Kroc Rows
3x8-10
Lat Pulldowns
3x8-10
BB Bicep Curls
4x10-12
Hammer Curls
3x10-12

Legs:
BB Squats
4x5-6
Bulgarian Split Squats
3x8-10
Leg Extensions
3x10-12
Hamstring Curls
3x10-12
BB Hip Thrusts/ Glute Bridges
AMRAP
Calf Raises
AMRAP

6 months. PPL is fucking beast

Can anybody post current body?
Wanna check ppl results

Push- Anything with a pushing motion
Pull- Anything with a pulling motion
Legs- Squats and such

thats what i do shoulders+legs, mainly cos i want to develop huge delts so want to concentrate on them without any other exercise that uses them secondary

He said results not result

>the circle jerk that is this thread

PPL is dogshit. If you're doing PPL, you're not lifting heavy enough.

Sometimes I do this when I've had some really high intensity days. I don't really understand what issues you think there is though. You could have a ten day split, your body doesn't care how many days it is.

So why is there a focus on higher volume, then a drop in reps perset? Would this do anything for a natty?

I get you body doesnt care,
But if you're living a non-shutin lifestyle, isnt it logistically annoying to have your rest days be on different days of the week all the time?

And the reason you say that is?

>being nice to newfags
they have to learn to work things out themselves. they must lurk

DAILY REMINDER THAT PPLxPPL IS INFERIOR TO ULUxULU

Push pull legs is inferior to, push pull legs shoulders

>Push
>pull
>legs
>shoulders

Ppl cucks look like a failed bodybuilder

Post body

PPLS cucks look like failed crossfitters

I try to do PPL this week but i cant find a good routine.

>having an entire day dedicated to shoulders

If you want cannonballs either go to Somalia or start a cycle

Wtf is this reddit?

So no body?

If you do 30-40 sets over the course of your two workouts for a particular muscle group over a week, how much weight are you really moving at the end of those workouts? How much work are you really doing?

I go to the gym 4 days a week, I do full body four days a week. I do 30-40 hard sets, which are hard based off of my own fatigue levels, per muscle group 4 days per week, and I get more work in and get stronger (and by eating at a surplus, bigger) faster than you on your brosplit with lipstick.

Implying all crossfiters aren't failed humans

You do 10 sets a day per muscle group?

What?

9,000 pounds on chest tri day

I got an app that tells me cuck

Well it's more like 30, was just using like numbers.

I do push/pull 4x a week with squats on push and deads on pull. I dont have time to go 6x a week.
Works fine

>implying PPPFFT is better than BRRAAP