Swimming

Hey folks, time for a swimming thread.
I have a question about breathing in crawl, I usually breath at every second stroke on the same side but wanna switch up to every third. Anyone have any tips how to do it? I just feel winded and out of breath while doing it.

Every second stroke? How long have you been swimming?

Every third is basic, but you should aim for every 5th, 7th.

My tip would be to just keep at it.

The way to get better at it is to just do it. Yeah, you're gonna be out of breath but you get better at it and it gets easier.
Breathing every three (or any odd number >1) strokes is definitely the best way to do things, so this isn't something you should pass up.

I have been swiming for like 1,5 years. So I learned it as an adult. Breathing and kicking is for me by far my biggest weakness.

getting the kick in sync with the strokes can be a challenge at first for sure. getting a kick board to train the kick independently is a good idea

Sorry for being unclear, I mean the dolphin kick. Doing them on my back without fins feels like I am going to sink. But I guess, like breathing, it just takes a long time to develop.

im confused, where do you use a dolphine kick on your back?

swimming and running masterrace
i probably look better than all of you nerds and im definitely a lot healthier

In an actual stroke? Backstroke turns I guess. But just practicing dolphing kick while in streamline on the back is what I am talking about.

you dont really need to dollhpine kick while on your back for anything, but for butterfly it is key.

since dolphine kicks speed almost comes in bursts i can understand how its difficult to keep afloat on your back tho

every tumble turn, you should be doing dolphin kick on your back for as long as possible underwater before turning over in a frontcrawl turn because it's faster. Watch Ryan Lochte swimming and see how he stays on his back longer than other swimmers. Also, dolphin kick on your back is a good way to practice your kick and really work your core.

Post pics user desu

Sure, it is a matter of how far one wants to go with their swimming. But since crawl breathing was the issue, I see this as a less important detail.

yeah, it's definitely more one of those things that you work on after you have the basics down.

no cuz hairy nipples

i know this pain too well

I doubt your body completely now.

Any tips for doing dolphine kicks on the back in streamline without sinking like a stone? It is really disheartening when you 1) dont get anywhere and 2) sink

It's complete preference, some switch and do dolphin on front, some do it on back. I'd say that dolphin kick on back coming out of a turn will 9/10 slow you down compared to front dolphin kick.

You just gotta keep the speed up. Try holding your breath while you do it for as long as you can then when you need to breath, exhale quickly then breathe back in quickly so as to keep your lungs inflated which helps you stay afloat. It's one of those things that you won't be able to do at first but as you work at it you'll eventually get there. Just don't give up. I remember back when I was a kid I couldn't do backstroke kick with streamlined arms without sinking down but with some dedication I got there after not too long. Another thing you can do if you feel like it is to do a couple underwater then kick up to breathe and then do another couple underwater.

It massively sped my turns up, but if it doesn't work for others then I guess it's whatever.