Lower back pain general

got a bulging disc a while ago when diddlying and squating. Now I'm recovered and got a green light from my physician.
What is progression from here? Do I avoid squats and deadlifts? Or do I hire powerlifting PT to check if my form is on point?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SsT_go-oCcQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your form might be alright but if your lower back is weak as fuck it's going to tear no matter the form.
Build strong core first. Do leg press, rdl, weighted hypertension. Don't go too heavy. I know everyone is telling you that less than 3pl8 on squat is pitiful, but keep it smart. It's not worth messing up your spine.

Do hyperextensions with bands with high reps everyday.

Buy a powerlifting belt if you havent and learn how to brace your core if havent known how yet.

Buy foam roller and roll your back often.

Switch to sumo.

Stop sitting so much
Do more cardio
Go see a physio
Do your rehab
Stretch, foam roll
Relearn the lifts with lower weight
Eat better
Sleep better
Don't do drugs
Don't drink too much
Focus on lifting, think about it, watch YouTube vids, read books
Learn breathing technique during lifting
Baby steps are better than no steps
Trust me, I've made mistakes over the past 4 years during which my back was hurting, which you can avoid. Nothing bad happened, but my lifts are worse than they were these years ago. Only recently it stopped hurting, and the more I did the stuff I listed above, the better it got.

Don't fall for the squatting and deadlift meme. They are good exercises to build strength, sure, but they are very risky. You've had a close call and recovered. Even with perfect form, every squat you do will put stress on your spine. One day, you might pass a point of no return.

T. Person who used to squat and now has debilitating and seemingly permanent pain.

Post your form on Veeky Forums

You're going to get shit on, but take the advice

Nigga, if you fucked your back up squatting and deadlifting and you're asking when you should go back then your priorities are fucked up.

Don't squat
Don't dead
Machines are your fucking friend
Calisthenics and finding other stuff to strengthen your legs and body is key.

Get a strength coach with experience
Take medicinal doses of AAS (especially deca)
Wear supportive gear
Stretch, invert, and foam roll twice a day
Never surrender

These guys don't realize you have to get stronger to be in less pain and improve your quality of life. it used to take me months to rehab my back when I aggravated it, now it takes me a week.

>you're asking when
OP asks what to do to go back stronger, not when, that's a huge difference

>Never surrender
I-I won't. Thanks, user

I've had lower back pain for close to 10 years. I've seen many different doctors and physiotherapist and I always get the feeling that they don't take my problem seriously, maybe because I am not in constant crippling pain.

The pain is a constant 2/10, in the lower back always in the middle. it does not jolt down the butt or legs. it worsens gradually up to a 6/10 when I am running for more than 10 minutes, or doing anything abs related like planks, leg raises or rollouts (yes I have checked my form).

it's just always there, it makes normal activities like doing the dishes a pain because I feel like I have to stop and stretch every 5 minutes.

THIS

If you start lifting you're indebted for the rest of your life. You can either be weak and in pain or strong and in less pain. Either way, you're probably going to be in some pain. 90% of the population or something experiences back pain.

This is all really good advice

Tbh this is too

Are you guys seriously advocating squatting and deadlifting through a lower back injury?

Absolutely. 95 lbs squat laid me up 3 years ago the first time I tried to rehab it. I've squatted 534 in a meet and I'm working towards a 500 dl for my first strongman meet. I have ddd, lowered disc height and a severely bulging l5/s1 for the past 5 years.

I've got bulging disc pain which is almost completely gone after I do a set of deads. Start with baby weight and go up every week. Do NOT let your ego get in the way and start heavy.

You strengthen the weak region. Good mornings, stiff leg dead, reverse hypers, shit like that. You basically start over with them at low weight and strengthen the weak points. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

And bench and press. Don't be a pussy.

I guess it works for discs but i have si joint problems and deadlifting or squatting are guaranteed injuries for me

Fuck man. Trying to recover from a back injury from last summer from too much landscaping and deads and even when I try to get back into it with light weight it fucks up.

Legit just did 6 reps of front squats at 85lbs and a minute later get this shooting pain in my lower back. Here's my form but I think I need to just back off squats, deads maybe forever. What do?

Same boat bro. "It's safe" until it's not and then it's too late

Similar pain and I found good relief by laying on the floor on my back with my knees up to straighten my back. Not very comfortable but it felt so much better afterwards.

Dude wtf are you doing?

hey my dude, i was on your boat. took me 2 years to fucking recover. here's what you do:

1. drop the weight entirely, start from the bar
2. while doing this, workout your core 3x a week
3. don't forget lower back and hip stretches 7x a week

you want that spine to pop so that whatever tightness is pinching your nerve unlocks. you also need to have a super tight core now that you snapped your shit up.

planks and side planks are necessary here, you want to get up to 120 sec each.

Wut

Should I get physio?
I've been stretching 30 mins/day so I don't think it's mobility.
How do I pop my spine?

if you arent willing to technically perfect the deadlift and squat and any other barbell movements you should just do dumbbell and kettlebell work. its honestly not worth it unless you put in the time and dedication to try and achieve perfection.

i know the squat and deadlift are the best excercises for building strength and even hypertrophy, but if you cant or arent willing to squat like a chinese olympic lifter by pursuing technical perfection you should not do it.

if you actually have the fortitude to pursue training these movements, start with a broomstick. learn and perfect as best you can the overhead squat first. then the front squat, THEN finally the back squat. the problem if the backsquat is easy to perfrom incorrectly. you cant really overhead or front squat to a slightly lesser extent with bad form or technique because you will dump the bar as soon as you start adding weight.

if you cant overhead or front squat with good technique and form its likely your back squat sucks shit too. for most people, its a matter of when, not if, they get injured doing back squats. id say over 90% of people will never get their squat to a proficient level.

the problem with starting strength and other squat based programs and proponents of the squat is they assumed everyone has the will and dedication and foresight and aptitude to perform these movements correctly. most people dont, and they never will. its the sad truth.

do that stretch where you lay on the ground with your arms out, look left, then cross your left leg to the right and touch the floor with your knees while while keeping your shoulders on the floor.

or get a guy to lift you up and bend over back-to-back.

glutes and core strength stat!

Yeah I do this 3x day
youtu.be/SsT_go-oCcQ

what would you guys suggest for a shoulder injury (from poor bench form)? I've been in and out of PT

Honestly replace lifting with cardio, swimming, yoga, and body weight exercises

It's not worth the pain

Get your abs stronger then the Brooklyn bridge and see what happens to your back pain

Is correcting my forward head tilt/slouch going to do anything for lower back discomfort?

>then

Yes. These shilling or deeply fucking retarded imbeciles are in fact telling that dumbass to lift through the pain.
And here's their reasoning.
YOULL BE IN LESS PAIN LATER BECAUSE YOU CAN LIFT MORE WEIGHT
I shit you not.

This is the Rippetoe party line.

But you have to drink a gallon of milk a day to activate the healing genes.