/run/ - running

Ultra marathon is the ultimate sport edition

How are we doing /run/, achieving any goals?

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ran my first 10k today. Did it in 1 hour 6 mins. Eventually I'll get faster.

>Ultra marathon is the ultimate sport
that's faggot tier compared to the true warrior sport : DEATH MARCH

this sport is so hard guys SHITTING THEIR PANTS MID RACE is common place

People shot their pants in like 20-30k races as well, it's not exactly uncommon

My goal is to run sub 3 hr marathon. Been running 10 miles per day average, hoping to try again in October. Last time was 3:35

Nice one! Keep it up! Going under an hour is a good goal to set

Every single person who ran the boston marathon this year shit their pants. Spectators too.

Trying to do the same, using Nike's 18 week marathon plan. Good luck user!

Today's schedule. I don't really like speed training, I usually always run 10k at a slower pace but now I'm trying to add some variation.

Shooting for 5ks in under 24 minutes today.

Have a babby ultra coming up in October. Only 50k, really hoping to break 4hr 30min

Crosstrain, get on the bike and churn out the km on that. I run 2:48 marathon on around 50k a week but make sure to keep my joints from too much impact by putting in 100km+ on hilly routes on my bike. Really helps endurance and speed

23:51, but let's be honest I was next to dying at the end

>Ultra marathon is the ultimate sport edition
Speaking of which, Killian Jornet just won the Hardrock 100 (100 miles, 33,000 ft vertical) with a dislocated shoulder in 24:32

My fat ass will try to run 2.5 miles this morning, without stopping and in less than 25 minutes !
I'll do my best !

Shooting for 7 miles at 7 min pace. Currently around 7:30 for 8 miles

I also want to try to get a sub 5 mile, but that shit hrrd.

Xc training starts in 6 hours

Just bitched out of a long run I usually do. Couldn't take the pain. Shame me Veeky Forums

As a beginner just reaching 5k, what is a respectable time for 5k? When should I improve either speed or distance, and which should I improve first?

Good stuff man I'm on the same level
I'm about to go on my second run in over a year. Managed a 24:15 5km last week. Hopefully under 24 this time as I definitely started off too quick before

Only ran 2 miles :( I ran 2.5m yesterday morning and 2 miles in the evening so perhaps I was just tired
Oh well at least I got a good sweat

I've recently started running (I'm the fag doing cadence running on Strava) and I think the best feeling in life is when, after a long run, you sit and lean forward, allowing the sweat to drip on the ground, while caressing your face. In that minute of rest, that feels like an eternity, everything just makes sense. You sit there, breathless, wet and happy while seeing the sweat drops on the ground. You created that puddle, you deserve it. You just proved the world that your body works, that is capable of something. I don't know why, but running makes me feel alive. Can't wait for my next run.

I find it sad that such a basic physical activity can inspire such pseudo-poetic prose, how far the screen-addicted generation is falling into lethargy. Everyone bangs on about 'stay in school, higher education is the way to go', we need a comeback of encouraging athleticism instead of forcing the 'dumb meathead' meme

if you're completely new to running and are a former fatass then a 5k between 28 and 30 minutes is all right. you want to work toward a sub-20 minute time. anything around 25 minutes is respectable for a noob

What do you guys take before a run? I take 400mg of caffeine. Anything else I could take for better performance.

23:48
Happy days

i do mostly sprints and long distance once a week am i still welcome here?

just caffeine if anything at all. i'll hydrate well in advance because i don't like drinking anything right before or during a run

You beat me by three goddamn seconds you tryhard faggot

Going to start my training for my first semi but somehow my asthma is back, I didn't exeprience it in years...
It sucks because now I'm scared to have an asthma attack during a run or just after.
And if my Doc gives me salbutamol I will feel like I'm cheating

Met a college qt while starting my weekend jog. She offered to run with me and when we started he did just that and took off running. After I wiped away my bitch tears I explained I usually just jog 5 miles on the weekend to relax. She explained she runs for her school and finished her routine and then fell back with me for cool down. Nice person. Also ran into an old high school runner while running on the beach on Sunday. He explained him and 3 other guys usually hit a new nature trail the first Saturday of the month and I should join.

All in all, good weekend to run.

>this year

3rd week into c25k and right shin's beginning to ache
i'm not a fatass, and have a fairly active job, but i can feel it creeping up. if i prod inside of shin, 6in up from ankle, the area is tender. crouching down at work, i feel where the stress is.

should i just use a stationary bike until it stops hurting?
i'm just beginning to feel like i'm actually improving and this is very disheartening. might see a physiotherapist or something

:^(

Boy I used to run competitively in HS. If this is a pb pissing contest, 13 year old me would've shit on you let alone 16/17

Running is a great way to break down muscle and destroy your lower body joints all so you can brag about a number no one cares about.

sub 15?

You are everything that is wrong with this country.
Although I bailed out of the last 2km of my long run this weekend. feelsbadman.jpg

>while caressing your face
I do agree with everything else you said though.

Go to the physio. In the mean time bike works. I guess you could also reduce the running from 3 times a week to 2 or so. Or maybe repeat week 2

Where do you guys run? Should I stick to flat terrain to improve my running distances?

I usually run through a forest, most of which is a fairly steep incline, which means it takes me longer to finish and that by the time I reach the 5-6k mark I have litte energy to keep running.

It really depends on what your goals are.

I think the best idea to maximize your running ability is to maintain your aerobic base by running moderate mileage year round, and then to change your training to be more specific 2-3 months out from whatever goal race you have.

An aerobic base is good for any type of running, so it should be a part of any type of training you do. You have to breathe, and your body has to be able to get as much oxygenated blood to your legs and core as possible, and doing lots of longer, slower, easier miles in volume means that your body will build capillary beds and extreme aerobic efficiency in your lungs and heart.

Other than that, when you have a specific race goal in mind, then you should start training for that goal 2-3 months out from your race. There are plenty of training plans out there that will take you from having an aerobic base to being specifically trained for an event.

Thank you for the input.

You probably just need to run slower.

Threadly reminder
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

Well, maybe I should be more specific in regards to what you are wanting to do.

If you want to get better at running distances, then you should try running a flatter course at a slower pace. There is no such thing as too slow of a pace on a longer training run because the goal is simply to run for a longer period of time. It helps train your body to produce energy for running for longer. Speed in running comes from your shorter, more goal-specific workouts so you really shouldn't be running fast on your long runs that are simply meant to train your aerobic system to get used to producing energy for longer periods of time.

Do you have a specific goal? What do you want to be able to do? Trail running? Pavement running? 5k? 10k? A specific distance in a specific time frame?

Am slow, would expect Veeky Forumsizens to mercilessly heckle me. I'll pass.

I'd say there's actually quite a bit of diversity in the strava group. Would be easier to see if the fucking admin changed the leaderboards to running only.

Does anyone know of a good timer app that I can set to go off at multiple intervals? If I want to do something like 1 min 85-90% 2 min 50% for 30 minutes or whatever I don't want to be constantly looking at my phone in my hand. My form is bad enough as it is.

Hey runners!

I'm training for a half marathon in 14 weeks from now. I've been running short distances (between 5 to 10k) for the last year and a half.
Most 12 weeks progressions I've seen makes the last long run 10 miles~ one week before the race. Do you guys think I could go up to 12, considering the extra time, and not ruin my endurance for the next week and fail the race?

Also, trying to cut a bit for now (will have stopped by the time I do the race obviously), how much of a deficit can I keep while still performing good runs?

Thanks!

If I'm doing c25k, is it alright to double up and do 6 days a week instead of 3? Or will that just kill my progress?

trying to figure out if a anaerobic threshold of 160 bpm is too high.

I think you can still perform good runs on a 200 calories deficit. Try to eat well before harder runs, but it's possible to eat less before long runs and easy runs.

Ok, thanks. Since I'm not planning on really finishing in less than 2h, my training is only somehow short runs, with one long run per week, increasing distance every week or so (in the end, 8km for normal runs, and 19 for the last long run before the race)

Today I am doing 6x600 with 2min recovery.

Bike kills speed.

>started cutting in feb
>started running in march
>could barely run a mile in 14min
>down to about 8
>still feel like a slow ass snail
>still have a ton of weight to lose
I know it's an improvement, but I just get caught up in where I'd like to be instead of focusing on where I've been and how much things have changed.
Just tell my fat ass to keep running.

mo farah trains on the bike

>do couch to 5k
>struggle through it a first
>running 5ks well before final week
>run 5k without stopping
>lose interest

I only run now because I feel like it would be a waste to lose all the progress

feels ambivalent man

>400mg

You will actually risk injury doing so. If you feel the workout is too easy, i'd suggest skipping weeks instead. And if you really want to add days, do so progressively.

Grats user. I have the same issue. It can be pretty annoying but having a goal helps you not lose focus.
We're all gonna make it

I don't think so. And if he does it is a tiny % of his overall training and not done for speed.

Trying to lose weight for a wedding in a month that I got a last minute invite to. Used to be 310, now I'm down to 225, but want to get a little more in. Has anyone done the Lazyman Triathlon? It's an Iron Man, but you have a month to run 26 miles, bike 124, and swim 2.6. Since I normally run on off days from lifting, I was thinking this could help me squeeze in more cardio in a limited time. Thoughts?

>10k
>half marathon
>marathon
>ultra
If you don't care about distance then just train to run a 5k really fast.
But motivation has to come from within, user

Screw that. Triathlon is how I stay healthy and injury-free for running.

Mate are you a sub 2.50 marathoner? Bike no way kills my speed, it does stop me picking up injuries doing 50-60 miles a week

No body said for speed. Train running for speed and get your endurance cross training. Much better than putting countless miles in your legs on road and putting all that strain on your joints. Keep your running training for speed only.

Noot waaaalcome lol, anyone watch mountain outhouse with Jam Jam? Its mildly funny

The bike might make you faster overall on long runs simply by making you fitter. But I've never heard anyone say this is increasing their speed. It's just not how the word is used in this context (from my experience anyway)

Speed is your sprinting pace. Cycling too much kills this. If a distance guy says he has lost speed then he is referring to how fast he could run 400m.

Sorry we must have crossed wires then! I meant my speed over the entire race distance, so being able to do it quicker than most people. Sorry if that did not come across like that

yeah but you don't need to be flaunting your tri-peen around senpai :)

I think that's pretty good user, keep it up

Yes you are, all kinds of running is welcome

So I did this and some extra intervals and it ended up being fucking brutal. I only slept 4 hours the night before, and I had pizza for lunch so my body was not ready. Tomorrow I'll go for a recovery run, probably 6-7 miles

Anyone for the first part of the question?

You won't know that until you try it. If you feel like you can do it, there's nothing wrong with doing it. However, be careful. Sometimes recovering gives you more than working out.

Alright, thanks for the insight!

Fatass here, started running last week and finally ran 2 miles without stopping. 10 min mile pace

All progress is good progress. Just keep doing it and it will get easier every time

Oh yeah cycling will definitely help. Swimming is great too.

I used to run seriously and did 15:00 for 5km with 60 mpw training. Now I only do 15 mpw but can still run 16:30 mainly because I cycle 150 mpw too. But I am much slower in a sprint than I used to be.

is it in the bone of the muscle? if the soreness is in the muscle then stretch them by doing pic related.

if it's the bone make sure to take it easy and try not to get a stress fracture

this guy has the right idea. if you want to do some cardio every day then walk at a fast pace on your off days. i had a friend who got into the sixth week and decided to continue on with that three days a week while doing speed work three other days. he actually used the earlier weeks as a guide and just picked up his pace (essentially just sprinting for 90 seconds at a time or whatever)

Try changing your course wherever you go running. Hit up some trails if you haven't done that or maybe find someone to go running with.

>is 13 less than 15?
retard

I haven't run in like 8 months, and holy shit, I had to stop after every 500 meters or so. I also downloaded a 180 bpm metronome from youtube and put it on my mp3 player so I could make sure my cadence is right, and it was fast as fuck, turns out I used to have dogshit slow cadence before, which explains why I sometimes got pains after running (slower cadence -> higher impact). I have lost 15 kilos in the meantime though, so once I'll be able to run the full distance without stopping and with the right cadence, I will surely be faster than I was before (my 5k time used to be 24 minutes).

>thoughts?
stop being fat

I put together an mp3 in audacity for HIIT, you could do something similar, like a beep when you have to start running followed by a minute of white noise and another beep when you have to stop, then two minutes of silence while you rest, then another beep, and so on (you can get the audio from youtube). It's something anyone with reasonable computer skill could do in 30 minutes, you're just splicing audio tracks together.

Alright I'll try that, thank you for the suggestion!

>tfw have to take a break from running because of plantar faciitis

all my gains will be lost

f
maybe try getting those shoe cushion things senpai. dunno if you can use them for running but if you can theyd probably help imo
orthopedic inserts or whatever

i'd just do non impact cardio like cycling or rowing on the erg

or does plantar fascitis work different than i imagine it to be

>I take 400mg of caffeine.
>just caffeine if anything at all.

Is that in pill form or some kind of gel?

Do you take it with a meal of without?

After doing obstacle course races like Spartan Race, Bonefrog, etc, straight running is boring to me now.

ive been putting in an ice bucket, foam rolling my calves, and stretching the fuck out of it.

so hopefully i wont be out too long. last time i took 3 weeks off and gained 10 lbs because of inactivity.

it sucks because i was just starting to get used to running 6 days a week for 3 miles a day and feel like i still had more in the tank after.

i have been hitting the heavy bag in my backyard and i also have dumbbells to do some lifting as well. the heavy bag is intense cardio i can only do 7 rounds of 3 minutes with 1 min rest.

Just follow your own plan instead of some meme shit. If you need that wacky stuff for motivation then there's no hope for you anyway.

Keep running. As you get fitter run faster, run longer.
If you are going for a cycle just enjoy yourself. Don't worry about speed or distance.

so i started running in May my best run is 7.7k at 4:38/km and my average runs are ~4k at ~4:30/km pace which I try to do daily

is this good for a beginner and where should i go from here? should i run longer runs and take more break days or should i be running harder shorter runs?

This is ok for a beginner. Where to go depends on your goals, but overall you should probably run slower and longer runs if you do them every day. do 4:30 pace only twice a week or so

I am slow as fuck on there and random people give me kudos, quite nice tbqh senpai.