Running shoes

Do I need running shoes to run or can I use my normal shoes without sustaining am injury?

Depends how much you run and how much you're willing to spend. On a side note I've seen people run half marathons bare feet finish sub 2 hours.

You can use regular shoes like chuck's on a treadmill since it will compensate the shock. For outside you'll need running shoes.

So I won't fuck my knees if I use my regular shoes when running?

You probably will. Modern training shoes have little to no support for the inner side of the foot. This is okay for fit people, but for the majority it will bring all kinds of problems, starting from your foot to your ankle, climbing up to your knees and back.
If you plan to run regularly and/or on pavement, you should get running shoes.
And if you can, get them in a store where they will give you a proper running analysis and let you test them on a threadmill or a few blocks down the road.

If you want to minimize injury. Run on a rubberized track, run with proper form and with proper training and schedule. Go to your running store and talk to the sales person and try out the shoes. It should be comfortable right then and there. Some stores have treadmills. But no amount of preparation will stop your knees from wearing out from training.

Would biking be better since it's no-impact?

Yeah sure. If you live in a country or city with nice roads. Swimming is pretty good cardio.

My personal ranking of cardio:
>S Tier
Swimming & Rowing
These are the hands-down the best forms of cardio for a male human. Melts your fat and gives you good posture and maybe even dat V taper.

>B Tier
Biking
Ok, but can initially quiet expensive.

>Normie Tier
Running
A good pair of running shoes will last you about two years and you can have lots of variety.

>never gonna make it Tier
Zumba

>repetitive motion cuck
>being such a living meme you autisticly put yourself in a box
>doesn't meet /fit girls wile running
>doesn't get to show off god body to all the beach grills wile swimming
>misses all social gains of being a alpha male who can have fun and make new friends doing any sport or activity.

How the fuck is running normie? Normies hardley even jog.

English isn't my first language. What are you talking about? Is that even english?

When I do my 30min around the nearby lake, I have even grandmas running there with sports gear they probably bought in 1984.
Running is the most normie tier form of cardio.

Former running shoe store employee here, also former Division 1 track/XC athlete. AMA I guess.

OP, you should probably invest in a decent pair of running shoes. They will diminish impact as much or more than improving your form will do. Also, improving form to the point that it decreases impact takes longer than the arm-chair coaches on the internet will tell you. Good cushioning makes a big difference. You don't soft cushioning per se, but cushioning that will absorb impact. Mizuno running shoes are an excellent example of this. Mizuno have a firm plastic plate in the heel and midsole that absorbs impact, but is very firm. They will soak up impact more than a pair of cheap Sketchers from the mall which, while softer, do not actually disperse impact. You may also need some form of anti-pronation support. I discourage inserts; instead, get shoes with firmer cushioning built into the midsole of the shoe so your arch can still flex. A good way to test whether or not you need support in addition to cushioning is to look at your current shoes. If the center or the outside of the forefoot is worn the most, then cushioning alone is enough. The more to the inside of the forefoot the wear pattern is, the more you need support in addition to cushioning. Barefooting running should be a supplement to strengthening the feet, not an end goal. All that stuff you read about Kenyans who run barefoot and have great feet? The first thing they do when they come to the US on running scholarships is buy shoes. Shoes are good. You can strengthen your feet with very small amounts of barefoot running.

So my calves always feel tight after like 1 mile what an i doing wrong. And what running shoes do you recommend under 150 USD? How much should i run to lose weight? I only run 3 times a week cuz i hate running but i know i need more. I also have some adidas pureboost, are those okay for running?

>no jump rope
Never gonna make it senpai

OP, go to a running store and get a gait analysis. Sometimes your gait and foot strike require a more specialty shoe and running in mainstream running shoes will cause discomfort or injury. You may pronate or supinate and as the poster said above, you want to inspect the soles of your current shoes to see where you are striking the ground. You may need a cushioned neutral shoe, or one with support depending on how you run. Bottom line is that yes, you can cause injury if you don't buy the right type of shoe for your running style. Most running store do a free analysis, either on a treadmill or having you run outside.

Tight calves can be anything from soreness after working unused muscle groups, to comportment syndrome. Unless you feel pain that stops you dead in your tracks (not just discomfort) then you should keep running and stretch after your run. Give it a week and see if there is improvement. Most issues from poor running shoes is seen in ankles, bottom of feet, ,knees and all the way up to the hips.

I run in merrells in 1.20. Not quite barefoot but as close as im willing to go in UK without treading on an aids needle

>>So my calves always feel tight after like 1 mile what an i doing wrong.

Could be up on your toes too much, could be lots of hill running, could be sprinting when you should be running a more relaxed pace... tough to say to be honest.

>>And what running shoes do you recommend under 150 USD?

Depends on your foot type. If you can go to a running store and get fit based on your foot, that's best. Almost every brand I know of makes good stuff in the 100-200 dollar price point, so you shouldn't have trouble getting something good for under 150. I've always been partial to Nike and Adidas. My wife like Adidas and New Balance. I've had Asics and Mizunos and Brooks and I'm sure I'm missing some other stuff. It really comes down to personal preference, so trying a lot of stuff on is an advantage. Just make sure you have a full thumbnail of space at the front of the shoe when you stand up so your foot has some room to swell during exercise.

>>How much should i run to lose weight?

Caloric deficit, always. That said, running consistently is better than a few big days (ie. running 3 miles 5 days a week is better than 5 miles 3 days a week). Also, doing some lactic threshold training occasionally is a good idea both for weight loss and improving at running.

>>I also have some adidas pureboost, are those okay for running?

They're fine. A bit too much shoe for my liking but that's just preference. My primary trainers right now are the Glide Boost 8 and the Nike Pegasus 33, both of which are a bit firmer.

Cool thanks man. I am doing stadiums and sprints so that explains why my calves feel tight. I'll hold on my pureboostv until i find a good running shop

Stadiums and sprints will 100% hit the calves hard. I would attribute it to those two things, either separately or more likely in combination. Try doing just one of those for a while and see what happens. That's a lot of explosive work when put together.

Only if you are a retard. Try it, if your knees hurt you probably need running shoes or you are doing too much running.

I've run quite a lot with just my regular everyday shoes. I haven't had any pain in my feet or knees but in a casual conversation with a guy (who's not a runner) he told me that I'll fuck my knees in the long run if I don't use running shoes.

I've searched around the net and the general view seems to be that running shoes are good but studies show that people who use running shoes compared to normal shoes still suffer the same amount of foot and knee damages so I wanted to check with Veeky Forums too.

Looking for a pair of running shoes around $30 help pls

I don't seem to find the right pair for weight lifting. And all the shoes I buy (unless they're boots) feel very soft and I makes me feel like I'm bouncing (BTW I'm 180 lbs and 5'9)