Rowing for cardio

I'm a fat bastard trying to lose weight and my plan is to curb my diet and pick up a cardio exercise. Jogging gives me shin splints and stationary bikes.. I just don't like them.

Will rowing do the job?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a_uiJeBE9KE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rowing can also build muscle depending on the intensity. It works your entire body, so it's great. One of the best exercises you can do.

This. Enjoy impact-free cardio, my dude, but be warned: learn form from someone who rows in real boats or else you're gonna fuck up your back.

Swim, it's the easiest cardio exercise on your body, burns insane amounts of calories and it's easy to zone out and lose hour in the blink of an eye. Rowing is pretty good, but it's just too boring for me.

Also running in the pools is great for people who cant do it normally.

anyone know a good tutorial for rowing form?

Something something quick rundown

Yo guys i was rowing on saturday but i didnt really ever feel like it was testing my cardio. what was i doing wrong?

rowing is more low intensity

>Can't even ask for a rundown properly.
>Expects even a nano-rundown.
Mate, you're not even getting a pico-rundown, hell, not even a quantum rundown.

yes rowing is good
swimming also good, both will build muscles as well as being good cardio

if you don't understand how to use the rowing machine maybe. It is very easy to hit maximum heartrate if you know how to stay connected through the stroke so that you are actually working. It should feel almost like a hang clean

Solid state rowing, 45 min to an hour a day at a sustainable pace will get your cardio in check without straining your day self. It's how actual rowers train too, not just a fatty thing

so tell me what i was doing wrong senpai

Up the resistance

youtube.com/watch?v=a_uiJeBE9KE

Get a basic idea of what you're doing.

1) Extend legs
2) lay back
3) bring handle straight in under your boobs

After that you just do the exact opposite
4) send hands out straight
5) bend forward
6) bends knees

If you're doing it casually there's virtually no risk of injury. If you're doing balls to the wall for 5,000+ meters a day and your form is shit, you're likely to develop back pain.

Reminder to always keep your back straight (sit up). Another thing people over look is the fact that rowing is not as upper-body intensive as people think. Most of your drive is going to come from that initial push off of the foot stretcher.

wouldn't that just increase the muscle demand rather than cardio?

please explain like I'm retarded (I am)

>qt3.14 aussie rowing girl.....

the scale on the side tells you the drag factor. so you're right, it doesn't make the rowing more or less intense. I'm 6'4 220 lbs so I keep it at 6 and that seems like the sweet spot given my body structure. It should feel like you're keeping constant tension in the chain during the pull. Most put it between 3-5. Depends on your body. If it fails to 'catch', go up a little.

I think rowing is less likely to wind you because you're using more overall muscles and have a few seconds between pulls to get more oxygen. That changes quickly if you set a pace boat for your 2000m to a little over the same pace that you can reach for the average of 4x500 m intervals with 1min rest. e.g., if you average 1:50 for 500m with 1 min rest, and then you set your 2000m paceboat to 1:55, you are in for a very exhausting workout.

1:55/500 m split within the 2000m, I should say.

yeah ergos are really good for ripping off your body fat just don't turn into a fucking rowfag. Don't get me wrong actual boat rowing is really fun but its full of trex mode bitches that practically jerk off to "the boys in the boat" like an erotic novel

Thanks user

how do you run in pool when you are extra buoyant?
weights?