Lentils

Does anyone here still eat brown rice?
1 cup brown rice: 600 calories, 16g protein
1 cup lentils: 600 calories, 44g protein
They both taste like whatever you put on them, they both are cheap as shit, they both are a good source of carbs, the only difference is that lentils cook faster and have more protein.

their texture is shit and they're way more expensive

>Lentils
>Amount Per 1 cup (198 g)
>Calories 230

You know when people say cup it's a standard measurement not whatever big gulp you have in your kitchen

>What is cooked vs uncooked
My man pls stop being dumb.

They are insanely expensive where I live but I still eat them once in a while.

I usually prefer beans or chickpeas for the flavour and price.

Big bag of lentils = $3
Big bag of rice =$7

Hmmm

>eat a single lentil
>30 minutes later voluminous room clearing farts begin knocking on my asshole

One time when my buddies and i went on a road trip I ate as many cans of lentils as I could with tons of hot sauce right before just so I could gas them the entire ride. Great times

Lmfao are you eating dry rice

I tasted brown rice once, never again, tastes like shit. Lentils are great, especially brown (brown outside, orange, or "red" as they say, inside) and Le Puy green lentils.

what fancy pants rice are you buying? $2 a kilo for normal stuff

A little more information..,
1 cup of lentils (U.S measure) equals..,

192 grams which contains..,
678 calories
121g carbohydrates
-- 78g are complex carbs
-- 6g are simple carbs
-- 12.2g are RS1 carbs and cannot be digested
21g dietary fiber
48g proteins

A standard 1 pound bag (US) averages $2.42 and a 20 lb bag averages $17.42 which equates to..,
1 lb--> $1.20 per serving
20 lb --> $0.43 per serving

Lentils can cause flatulence if you eat a large amount at one time.

Drink plenty of water to prevent constipation.

Redpill me on cooking lentils

>not eating them raw
not gonna make it

I'm a vegetarian pajeet so 2 bowls of lentils a day is my main source of protein. Masoor dal (brown skinned lentils which are red inside) are the tastiest, in my opinion.

1 lb bags of lentils can be found for about $1 USD dollar here in Burgertopia.

How do you cook them?

Lol. I wouldn't eat raw dried lentils. Unless you like shitting Skittles. (Seriously, do not eat them raw, that would hurt coming out.)

The $2.42 was for standard red lentils in a 1 lb bag at waldemort. Your purchasing experience may differ.

I make an Americanized version of Dal Tadka with red and yellow lentils. The yellow lentils fall apart and make the soup thicker.

Here you go..,

1 cup red lentils (put em in a plate and check for rocks.., really)
1/2 cup yellow split lentils
5 medium sized carrots cut into 1 inch chunks
1 large white or yellow onion (I use sweet onions but whatever) chopped up
2 stalks of celery diced small
1 pound fresh white mushrooms cleaned and quartered
3 cups water (I substitute 2 cups vegetable broth for 2 cups of the water)
Black pepper to taste
Curry powder to taste (unless you can make that crap from scratch and, if you can, you don't need this recipe)

Rinse your lentils

In a 5-8 quart stock pot
Put the water/broth and then lentils in together and bring to a medium heat (let'em froth a little) then set the heat to Low or 2 or however you do it on your stove

Stir occasionally (3-5 minutes)

Cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender

Add the curry powder, black pepper, AND 1/2 teaspoon salt if you didn't use veggie broth

Add all the other vegetables

Remember to stir it a little

Continue cooking until carrots are very tender (you can stick a fork through them with little effort)

Taste it.

Need salt? Add just a pinch or two
Not. Enough curry flavor? Add some!
Want spicy? Add some red pepper flakes
Make so you want to eat it.

When you have it the way you want it, turn off the heat

Now, if you want to, take a stick blender or potato masher and slowly mash the soup up. Just a little bit though. You just want to scare it a little. (actually, it will make the dish a little thicker, like a stew)

Bring the heat back up to Low or 2 again and cook a little longer (5 min or so)

You're done.

So, this stuff may not look very appetizing but it's very tasty (to me) and you can serve it with anything or as a side dish.

If this doesn't do it for you.., Google "Lentil recipes"

Two things, I forgot..,

1. If the water doesn't cover the lentils, add some more until it does, they are going to absorb some of that

2. I could have had you sautée fresh aromatics with the onions first and add fresh basil which you can totally do. But, I figured, "this person doesn't know how to cook lentils, why confuse them with that other stuff too. I just wanted you to enjoy some lentils and maybe want to try other recipes too instead of getting board and tl;dr and shit.

Neat. I ordered some red ones since they're supposed to make soup better? I haven't had a soup in a long time. Could use a break from muh mexican rice.

I have made this but with chicken thighs, also.

Brown the thighs (still on the bone, skin too) With a little olive oil, salt, and pepper over medium heat and turning occasionally

(Just brown them) we're not going for well done here

Remove thighs from pot and set aside

Add onions and a little more oil

Cook until they get soft 3-4 min
if they start to burn (and you can tell) turn the heat down a little

Remove from heat

Now.., let those onions cool off 3-4 minutes..,

Add the water and the lentils

Start at the beginning of that other recipe

*** when you start putting the carrots and stuff in, throw those thighs back in too and let them cook with rest of the soup

You can pull the bones out of the thighs by hand later on or you can leave them in, your choice

Just make sure you simmer them for at least 30 minutes

Okay, that's all for now. Before the mods kick me to whatever the cooking board is here

>cooking with water adds calories

lentils are just the trendy food of the year. Who else remembers 3 years ago when pasta was the secret ingredient?

are you retarded?
they take up more volume cooked, making a cup of cooked lentils have fewer actual lentils vs an uncooked cup

The secret to what?

Interesting. Never thought of lentils as being trendy. Most people around here wouldn't touch them.

I think they just have a good protein to fiber ratio as well as being lower on the glycemic index.

Never understood the whole pasta kick. That's for carb loading. Unless you are using brown rice or spinach pasta

. These numbers were for dry weight/volume uncooked

Water is simply a medium through which kinetic energy is transferred into the food being cooked. This energy is not a part of the potential caloric energy of the foodstuff itself and cannot enter into that system. Therefore..,no, it does not

The closest you can come to truth with that statement would be to say that certain types of cooking can unbind non-digestable protein chains making them available as energy sources. But the water don't enter into it.

So it seems that the issue was cooked measure versus uncooked measure. Which is why you count servings with uncooked measures.

I've never seen them uncooked. But a couple of 150g cans is roughly 3/4€.

That sounds amazing, thanks user

>he doesn't know about the secret...