Is running a meme exercise that does more harm than good?

is running a meme exercise that does more harm than good?

Other urls found in this thread:

tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/4w375w/running-is-the-worst-way-to-get-fit
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5396190/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what harm would that be?

humans are made for running
do HIIT, long distance cardio is for fags

>long distance cardio is for fags
y tho?

because he's a fatty that can't even run 5k

lowers testosterone

tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/4w375w/running-is-the-worst-way-to-get-fit

yes, even hipster millennial websites agree.

Sprinting is good

Long distance cardio - more repetative impact on your joints , particuarly joggin. Maxing your cortisol gains.

No.

that article's mostly talking about fatties who try to become unfat by running which everyone already knows is bad

It's all around good. I've been running since I was in middle school (9-10 years) and lifting for the last year. My joints are a little rickety but it's usually cause I messed my form up on a rep or twisted an ankle while running.

Compare this to my brother who was an offensive lineman and wrestler, he has no cartilage in his knees. He lifts on par or lower than me and I'm 40-50 pounds lighter than him. His friends who was a linebacker and wrestler has hadn't three surgeries for his ACL.

So even the joint thing is overstated. With anything, as long as you train smart and hard, you'll be fine.

why do you run?
if you're training for a sport, or just enjoy it fair enough, but people needing cardio shouldn't force themselves jogging, there are better ways with less negative impact

>it's safer than football so it's fine!

i suggest hiit or some other form of high endurance training. Such as martial arts or dance.
Running hurts my knees so i try to stay away from it. No one has great answers to my knee problems so it never gets fixed

I ran a lot before I got Veeky Forums, got my 3-mile down to 17:56. I got sick of getting knee, foot, and hip injuries so finally dropped it.

A quality human should be able to run a 20-25 min 5K. Once you can do that, don't bother doing it more than you want to.

Also serious runners look like shit and are usually huge faggots.

Here's a quick rundown for you newbs:
>if you squat, cycling>jogging, since running uses the same muscles as squats
>HIIT stresses the same metabolic systems as weightlifting. So low-intensity cardio > HIIT if you also do weightlifting
>running is not good for weightloss, because it doesn't burn many calories, makes you hungrier, and injures your joints if you're a fatass
>any cardio slightly decreases gains from strength training, but it might be worth it if you don't want to run out of breath halfway thru fucking ur girl
>long-distance running (> 1 hour a day, say) will fuck up all your joints and hormones, which is why female runners and male runners both look androgynous
>in summary, you should probably do some light cardio in addition to weightlifting

Running will fuck up your knees, ankles, and low back.

Humans were NOT made for running. Four-legged animals with tails were made for running. None of our great ape cousins are good runners.

Humans were made for walking upright and being smart and having very evolved hands capable of making tools. As for athletics, humans are decent climbers. We hunted primarily by
>climbing a tree, then pouncing on our prey from above
>picking up rocks and clubs as weapons
>organizing hunting parties and using formations to encircle an animal and then pelt it with rocks
All of these methods are still used by chimps and baboons.

Some backward human tribes try to run down game, but these tribes are morons, not representative of how early humans functioned. Early humans hunted giant ground sloths, which couldn't run away. We then moved on to early bovines and reindeer, which travel in herds and don't run away from us once they get to know us.

The human heart is weak. Cardio doesn't just kill gains, it straight up kills you.

No but it should say something when someone who's done 100mile a week training for a month for a marathon On top of years of running has less joint issues than a person who played football for three years.

This is poor bait broscience.

>there are better ways with less negative impact

The only cheap cardio available to pretty much anyone on the planet whenever, where-ever has always been running. You can run barefoot, naked even or in minimal clothing. You don't need any accessories, equipment (cycling requires a bike and helmet), uniform, specific location to do it in (e.g. swimming requires a body of water, climbing requires a wall or rock-face). The only other easy accessible cardio I can think of is jump-rope (but then that requires a rope of some decency) and that can be considered 'impact' on the joints as well.

Of course, when I say running I mean over the entire spectrum of the sport from light jogging to actual running fast.

You're retarded.

>what is persistence hunting?

>Humans were NOT made for running.

>humans can out-run any animal on the planet when it comes to endurance races

>not made for it

>We hunted primarily by ...

>provides zero citation

What exactly is the Couch to 5k Program? I have read through like five pages on their official website and it keeps talking in circles. "Oh this plan is so great download our app", but it never actually describes the plan.

It's a running program where you practice running more and more until you can run a 5k. It assumes you live a sedentary lifestyle and are starting from there (couch) and goes from there.

I fell for the running meme for a little while and I never used it, I just kept running until I ran out of steam until I realized one day that I ran 5k at an average pace.

I've heard if you get good at squats you can run a 5K without training, but I haven't tried it.

Seriously?

Thanks for these, im just going to rely on these. Ive also read some of the US Army's exercise manual and I notice that their running program is slightly similar.

It used to be on their website but they've since removed the plan to push their app. Fuck them.
The pic here on the left seems to be the couch to 5k program essentially, but someone is a faggot and added anime girls and bullshit to it.

How can someone spout this much bullshit

best exercise
sprinting is all you need health-wise

yes but so is lifting so fuck it just do what you want it doesn't matter jesus christ

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5396190/

Tldr running helps your spine.

ITT: Broscience retards

>t. 160 lb lanklets

Long distance running is literally the only physical feat that humans are objectively the best at

The app is free and bretty good. I'm on week 3. It beeps to tell you when to run and walk so it's way easier than timing myself and trying to get it right

Anecdotal, but it helped a ton with my posture. Forcing yourself to keep your shoulders back and neck straight for an hour or so worked wonders.

Exactly. The walking speed of a human is faster than the walking speed of every other animal. We hunted by wearing animals down. It's one of the reasons why the "horror movie killer who just walks after you" like Jason Vorhees is scary to us, we know what that walking means.

running will only fuck you up if ur retarded.

Don't run on asphalt, run in the woods/mountains. no fucking pavement or concrete
run with proper technique! land on ur whole foot, activate ur legs.
Get proper shoes

if ur knees or back hurts when ur running ur doing something wrong.

>be caveman
>hunt animal
>animal starts running, because surprise surprise, animals aren't stupid and they don't just try to walk away from threats that walk faster than them
>gets couple hundred meters away from you
>ignore instinct to start running to catch up once it stops
Yeah, persistence hunting definitely didn't involve any running whatsoever.

>t. fat fuck """"powerlifter""""

every professional athlete in the world who competes in a real sport (aka not powerlifting), sprints. If sprinting to get the ball hasn't done harm to someone like lebron james who is surrounded by professionals to be as elite as possible it probably won't hurt some betafag on Veeky Forums

Woah that anime girl doesnt have legs

>he doesnt know about cripplefuckers 2012

Not unless you try to do too much, too soon. Some people get retarded and fuck up their heart/ankles/knees. Just keep adding miles slowly and vary between long + slow / short +fast.

Oink oink

sprinting is supposed to be better than jogging...
i realize running covers both these things, but OP is clearly not asking about sprinting

do you go for long jogs and have sore joints afterwards?
do you do other cardio - equivalent sore joints after?

i am not a self proclaimed powerlifter, just always have the body type everyone thinks i play rugby or football...

If you are very overweight, over a certain age, undertrained and have serious issues or joint problems then yes. Running is a bad idea

Helped me lose weight and transform my body while dieting an lifting.

However, is it a meme? My general stamina in low-intensity things like walking, standing for hours, etc... is nearly limitless. Dropped my resting heart rate down from 74 to 47-50bmp.

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos says yes

Not him but yes running is stressfull for the body so the body releases cortisol which is a katabolic hormone. But well HIIT does the same in lower amount... the best way for keeping your test lvls normal is walking.
Anyway if you want to be better at running well..

>Giorgio A. Tsoukalos
obviously i have google,
but i don't get the reference

brainlet

seriously a brisk walk for an hour if you are a big lad is like 500 calories, even more if legit hike

My sister danced competitively for 8 years but that also fucked up her knees.

That's actually fucking worse.
It really is.

Something like long walks, swimming, or jumping rope is actually less painful for your knees then hiit or martial arts.

Running is murder, but hiit is like really really stressful. That's why correctly done HIIT(correctly is the key word here) is effective for a certain section of people.

And let's be honest about something.
An hour long brisk walk is ten times more effective when it comes to losing weight, keeping it off, and does not cause or lead to injuries. As a matter of fact if there are no serious issues that would be worsened no matter what then it will do wonders for your body and mind.

This. One should be able to read and write to an adequate degree, but that don't mean everybody ought to go for an English degree.
Become a good enough runner to qualify as a person then maintain.

But athletes, especially of that caliber probably have exceptional genetics regarding joint health among others. A beta fag on Veeky Forums might not be so lucky

strength > endurance

Long distance runners are more likely to have heart problems later on in life.

>do HIIT, long distance cardio is for fags
Manlet spotted

HIIT may be good for those who can't build a decent amount of muscle, but for those of us over 180cm, we can lift heavy things to greater effect.