New /fitlit/ thread. we had one yesterday and it was pretty cool there

new /fitlit/ thread. we had one yesterday and it was pretty cool there

reading this right now. anyone wanna recommend books?
Also if somebody has the png where there are books recommendations in a grid, would appreciate if youd post it.

Other urls found in this thread:

columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/Blaut/diamond.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamond
nature.com/ng/journal/v47/n7/full/ng.3285.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3341646/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One of my favourite books, although homo deus is meh

I got that book as a present from my mother, it lacked depth and perspective imo, got a weird vibe from the authors way of writing

If you want a real history of humankind read The Outline of History by HG Wells.

It's got way more information from primary sources without all the academic nonsense and censorship that happens these days.

Recent favorites:

> "Tribe" by Sebastian Junger
Modern civilization has taken something from you that makes you very, very sad.

> "How To Fail At Almost Everything And Still Win Big" by Scott Adams
Goals are for losers, systems are for winners.

> "The Depression Cure" by Stephen Ilardi
Most cases of depression that end up in clinical psychiatrists' offices aren't biological but a disease of lifestyle and environment.

> "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Robert Glover
"Nice guy" behavior is predicated not on morality or charity but a false economic model that if I act nice you must give me what I want, which isn't very nice.

Recent reads
>SPQR by Beard
>Complete works of Plato
>The Phenomenology of Mind by Hegel
>Social contract by Rousseau
>Milk and honey by kaur
>Aeneid

recently read
>Mans search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
kind of a self help book, bu describes how one can make it through immense suffering

>The third chimpanzee by Jared Diamond
pretty much the evolution of modern humans and what differentiates us from other animals

>Keynes Hayek: The Clash that defined Modern economics
interventionist economics vs laissez faire economics

Books I am going to buy next:
>Richard Titmuss: The gift relationship - from blood donation to social policy
>Robert Gordon : The rise and fall of american growth
>sam Harris: The moral Landscape
>Richard Thaler: Nudge

Cool thread. I recommend suttree by cormac mccarthy

Also the myth of sysiphus by camus

I'm reading DUNE

Is this bait?
>unironically reading a "history" book by an Israeli kike and believing that it surely has no lies in it
Already the title is wrong, since different "human" races are not all Homo Sapiens. Europeans are Cro Magnon for example, never had any Sapiens ancestors.

Yeah no shit, it's propaganda from a Jew trying to rewrite history.

What single book would have the greatest tangible improvement in my life? I assume one regarding finance?

Philosophy

Any book about passive index fund investing. It will take 20-30 years to make a profit, but you and anyone can make millions, 100% guaranteed with no chance of failure - because that's how passive investing works.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
The Bible

Can second that. Wasn't a huge fan of Homo Deus in comparison.

>Mike Tyson - Undisputed Truth
>Tim Ferris - Tools of Titans
>Zlatan Ibrahimovic - I Am Zlatan
>Tom Wainwright - Narconomics
>Epictetus - Discourses
>Michael Lewis - The Undoing Project
>Norman Ohler - Blitzed: Drugs In The Nazi Regime

>100% guaranteed with no chance of failure - because that's how passive investing works.
Guess youre too young to remember 2008

(((Yuval Noah Harari)))

Guess you just don't understand how to invest passively. You would still make profit even if a crash occurred during your 30 year period.

Yep, kike. And look at the books name and content. Complete fantasy conjured by a Jew. Not a history book.

How much do you wanna bet that heebs "Brief history of humankind" book has a chapter about the holohoax in it?

About 3/4 of the way through this. It's a very good book, highly recommend

Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Lundt Fisker

>Jared Diamond
>very good
Holy shit is everyone on Veeky Forums retarded?
That's the moron who literally claims in his books that the reason Negroids never managed to domesticate animals for the purpose of using them as mounts is because it's not possible to domesticate zebras like you can horses.
It of course is possible, as white colonists in Africa immediately did it, proving that the reason why Negroes never did it in hundreds of thousands of years is that they are incredibly unintelligent by nature.

His books are worthless nonsense.

>the entirety of guns germs and steel is about beasts of burden!!

/pol/-tards are so fucking ignorant and stupid

How do I know you haven't read it? I doubt any of you poltards have even read a single book in the past decade

All based on a debunked line of thought. Please do not recommend people this book as it only makes you look like pseude who doesn't understand history.

Debunked by posters on stormfront?
Please provide some academic sources for your claim

Are you retarded? I didn't say Guns Germs and Steel is the book where he lies about Negroes not domesticating zebras because "it's impossible". I said that Jared Diamond is the retard who claims such a thing.
That disqualifies all of his books, no matter the context of them, because it proves that he is biased and can not write historical text objectively without letting his leftist political views influence the text.
Leftists are truly subhuman. Your lack of intelligence is like a bottomless pit.
Why would I read pseudohistory? I read actual history unlike you cuckolding enthusiasts.

It's a well known fact and the consensus in the entire historical community that germs were not used as warfare against the Amerindians, any spread to them was accidental.
Jared is a leftist cuckold just like you, who invents insane fantasies. He is not a historian, and you are a fucking colossal retard and the laughing stock of this thread for promoting his trash.
He's a joke around the worlds entire historical community.

Fuck off retard.
columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/Blaut/diamond.htm

>It's a well known fact
Stopped reading right there

You seem to be really willing to shit on a book you haven't read, are you a brainlet?

>Your lack of intelligence is like a bottomless pit.
>That disqualifies all of his books, no matter the context of them

Not OP here, but this language is so fucking stupid I just had to call you out for your fedora tipping, moutain dew sipping, vidya playing, masturbating, pathetic ways. Have sex, and maybe you won't sound like such a fucking virgin. I mean, seriously, listening to you makes me want to rip my eyes from my sockets with a rusty metal fork while drinking a gallon of xtra strength anti-freeze. Grow the fuck up or go the fuck back to voat.

This is your average leftycuck "argument".
>hurr durr but you habnd't read this book so u cant criticize it xDD
Knowing everything I need to know about its hack author is enough to know the contents are lies. Jared Diamond is a leftist clown who is infamous for making shit up.

been on my to-read list for a while. a history of the end of empires? neat angle, worth a read.

somewhat related is Vodka Politics, a history of the role of distilled alcohol in russian foreign policy.

But you haven't read that, you googled "guns germs and steel debunked" and posted the cleanest looking link that confirmed your pre-formed opinions
It's also an opinion piece

>try to retire in 2008
>cant because entire market crashed
>edgy kids on a lithuainian raquetball forum say i just dont know how to invest
Ok

Neat angle? There's not a single sentence of truth in Guns Germs and Steel. It's nothing but excuses from a cuck for why he thinks European civilization has managed to be superior for all this time - all the while avoiding the truth and the answer to that question: genetics.
It's that simple and it's been proven. It's because of genes.

You probably have 8 dollars to your name.

But at 7% annually ill have a million in 174 years

I have read that.

>Guns, Germs, and Steel is influential in part because its Eurocentric arguments seem, to the general reader, to be so compellingly "scientific." Diamond is a natural scientist (a bio-ecologist), and essentially all of the reasons he gives for the historical supremacy of Eurasia and, within Eurasia, of Europe, are taken from natural science. I suppose environmental determinism has always had this scientistic cachet. I dispute Diamond's argument not because he tries to use scientific data and scientific reasoning to solve the problems of human history. That is laudable. But he claims to produce reliable, scientific answers to these problems when in fact he does not have such answers, and he resolutely ignores the findings of social science while advancing old and discredited theories of environmental determinism. That is bad science.

The book gets called out for being shit in the last paragraph. Have you never read anything academic before? This is how you argue in anthropology and history.

*20 years

Hey, I only read the last paragraph too : ^ )

I looked him up, he's clean, just a "perpetual grad student" like Lenin it seems. Worth reading if only to disagree, because the thoughts will be well-formed enough for productive disagreement.

while we're on russian history, Stalin's Daughter is a good biography. not written by a historian but vetted by one.

That criticism completely ignores the fact that Jared Diamond mistakenly believes that there is no difference between races and that the success of some civilizations was due to other reasons. That's the real disqualifying thing about him, considering it's basic science that intelligence is genetic, and thus different races have different levels of intelligence. His entire book is refuted with a single word: DNA.

That looks interesting. I remember hearing on a history podcast about how stalin was a raging alcoholic, and how people suspect he was slow to respond to the german invasion in WWII because he was on a massive bender. I'll probably give that a read once I'm done with Guns, Germs, and Steel

It's a summary of the whole piece. The author makes specific arguments against certain ideas such as why Eurasia was more successful than Australia.

I was talking about Jared Diamond, not your book about Russia. I thought you were too since you were replying to the jackass who is promoting Jareds pseudohistory books.

Most of the time with these threads it all self help, how's about some fiction?

Any love for the Ol' boy Hemmingway?I seriously never though I could connect emotionally with a book that was written 80yrs before I was born. Just the way he describes his characters relationships with women is so spot on.

Boy, I sure hope this is some subtle trolling

post recs lads

i cried like a bitch with the last pages of "the old man and the sea"

>Once again implies he's read it, and taken the article based on the quality of it's arguments, not the conclusion it reaches

Guess you're too dumb and impatient to not sell back in 2008

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Diamond
>Diamond was born in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. Both of his parents were from East European Jewish families who had emigrated to the United States.
>Both of his parents were from East European Jewish families
>Jewish
OY VEY, THE GOYIM KNOW!!! Quick, hide the evidence Chaim! They know we made everything up!

Your math is fucking terrible

You know, usually kikes have the foresight to know their schemes will end up in goyim trying to root them out, so they change their names to goy names. Very common.
But somehow (((Jared's))) parents thought it would be wise to have a reference to the Jewish guild called the Freemasons in his name, and the word diamond, a jewel which kikes are known to be obsessed with.
They really did a bad job at hiding his nose.

You missed the entire point mate. People couldnt retire in 2008. Patience had nothing to do with it

whatever, the guy seems like a master of none based on his wiki, and a high-level theory proponent based on that review snippet. it's on the "maybe get to it" tier of my reading list.

even if we could affordably sequence the genome of multiple population-size samples, we'd have no way to interpret the endless base pairs of everyone, let alone aggregate the data and interpret *that* in a way that meaningfully explains "racial differences." if anything the unique history of the world largely determined the available pathways through life today.

The Bin Ladens is a solid history of the family

You're wrong though. There has been concrete evidence of genetic racial differences for as long as we have known about DNA and have been able to do DNA tests. Denying that just makes you look stupid.
Claiming that different human groups living in completely different environments for hundreds of thousands of years did not evolve differently, to have different racial characteristics and traits is equally stupid as saying that the world is 5 000 years old.
If you deny racial differences in humans, such as intelligence and strength and skeleton shape, then you deny the existence of evolution. Because that is exactly what it is. A group living on a barren wasteland will evolve to become a very different race than a group living in fertile fields.

this isn't really a literature question, but does /fitlit/ know any podcasts that can help me learn more about fitness? I wanna learn how the human anatomy and how muscles work and really important health knowledge that I could use.. Thanks anons

Not him, but Homo Sapiens really only started to diverge geographically in significant numbers around 60,000 years ago, not a large timeframe in the scale of human evolution

Seconding this

Shhhh. That doesnt fit stormfronts narrative

It's still pretty large. That's more than 2000 generations.
And from observation we know that speciation can take from 4000 to 25000 generations, depending on various conditions. So while 2000 is not enough for complete separation of species, it can still lead to some very divergent outcomes. As an aside, in a controlled environment (think domestication, agriculture and lab work) speciation can occur in as little as 10 generations.
Anyway, something that you'r ignoring here is admixture with the other hominids, which also increases genetic divergence.

>there are "humans" on fit that think development all just happened per chance

Do you unironically believe there is a huge following and user base here that goes to stormfront?
I would guess that stormfront MAYBE gets 10k unique visitors a day
Veeky Forums is literally more popular than the New York Times

Absolutely pathetic
I mean this sincerely.. go back to where you came from. Probably ICanHazCheezburger or some shit

>he doesn't know that he's just a pawn parroting the opinions of stormfags
cute

>Cauliflower is traditional

I fail to see why humans would evolve to be more intelligent in one area of the earth rather than another. Human civilisations of varying levels of technical and political sophistication independently popped up all across the globe, from Europe, to South America, to even the remote island of Hawaii. I find it hard to believe that Europeans have some distinct genetic advantage over the Incas, who independently reached the Bronze Age, in spite of the fact that Homo Sapiens only colonised the Americas within the past 11,000 years

You're on a milk drinking forum right now dude

You need to get your fucking shit together, holy fuck, this is an absolute embarrassment

>unironically being a proud white supremacist on a milk drinking forum
I think you're projecting with that second line of text there

More intelligent in ways that correspond to modern ways of thinking could be another way of saying it.
But your concept as a whole seems kind of stupid desu

I've made literally 4 posts. 2 to you, one saying I'm reading Dune, the other about Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Your brain is fucking rotted.
Take 48 hours away from this site, do it for your health.

isn't me bby, I think you're paranoid

48 hours my friend

Do it for your sanity

Did that insincere ideologue image trigger your or something?

It's standard evolution, really.
First of all it's undeniable that cognitive traits are heritable, and I don't mean just intelligence, but also all the personality and emotional stuff.
This is a meta study showing this:
nature.com/ng/journal/v47/n7/full/ng.3285.html
And inteligence is between 40% to 80% heritable.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3341646/

Given all this, certain environments will favour a greater preponderence of certain traits, including intelligence. The standard example is that temperate environments, with changing seasons and lack of food for more than half of the year, favors long term planning, which is a part of intelligence.
And then you need to add to this that humans form societies which value different things, and put cultural pressures on reproduction, effectively awarding success depending on the adherence to those values. So environment shapes culture, which shapes humans, which in turn shape culture which shapes environment again.
Standard evolution.

48 hours. You've rotted.

to add to
European Jews have the highest IQ of any ethnic group because their culture places strong selection pressure on intelligence, it's a specific example of what has played out on a global scale between racial groups. IQ gap between Asian, White, Black, Hispanic populations definitely has a genetic element.

I think I'll stay

Peoples all around the globe showcased long term planning, even relatively simple civilisations in polynesia had large-scale efforts to build terracing to allow them to maximise their agricultural grow. I think you would need some pretty convincing evidence if you wanted to make me believe that one peoples are genetically superior to another

Any good studies to look at on race and IQ? Preferably something from people raised in similar circumstances, with no variables outside of the race of the participants

>genetically superior
That is not my position, though. My arguments were for genetic diversity, as in different populations have different distributions of traits.
And I guess if you want you could order them based on one trait or another, but that isn't very useful, since those populations are adapted to their environments and cultures.
I think I understand people's reticence in recognizing these facts, since we're now facing with all these populations interacting and competing in the similar modern environment. There seems to be this desire to distance oneself from the supremacist dogmas of the past, and that is definitely understandable, but I think one shouldn't allow that to lead into outright science denial. That can be just as dangerous, as it builds another dogma instead of looking for truth.

Personally I don't believe there are inherently large genetic differences between peoples, there are many similarities in the environments and cultures of peoples across the globe, but that's a very reasonable position to take. It is definitely a field that needs more study.

nigger do you even know what definitions of speciation exist?

biological speciation indicates we aren't at all divergent in the way humans and neandertals are. if its ecological speciation or niche speciation all a bunch of nonsense too.

you are confusing gene frequencies with hard speciation. sure there may be less light-skin genes in africa vs. asia and europe but that itself doesn't constitute a different species.

I never claimed speciation for humans. In fact I admitted the opposite.
Please read more carefully.

Sapiens is good, can confirm. As a medfag I recommend you to read about the inevitable from Atul Gawande's Being Mortal and to lighten up Heyerdahl's travel journals KonTiki

nice, Herbert is awesome. Continue with Asimov's Foundation

"How to begin with woodworking"

Woke

Pleb

Cro-magnon=sapien/neanderthal mix retard

(((Diamond)))

everytime

Why is fit, pol, sci obsessed with anthropology?

They sit around and jerk each other off over the colour of their skin because they have nothing else to be proud of in their pathetic little lives

is this bait

because "social" "science" is a thing. DNA is like the machine code of life. saying that "blacks are less intelligent because of genetics" is like trying to reverse-engineer the differences between software versions using only the precompiled binary. it's even harder than that because you'd need to repeat the experiment at population scale for such generalizations to make any sense.

another book that has its moments. sometimes boring/overly poetic, but the experience and the way the author describes it is eye-opening. rich blacks in segregated america. fascinating.

this also comes highly recommended for the armchair ethno-bio-anthropologists among us. turns out that plant amino acids really are better for you than pre-synthesized animal protein chains, btw.

I'm not the dude you're replying to but.. you're a fucking idiot.