Jump rope

Anyone else on Veeky Forums jump rope? Its such a great cardio exercise, not only do you burn more calories per minute then by running as it is much more intense and uses muscles from your whole body, but its also actually quite fun. Training for boxing so this exercise is great to help me build up my speed and co-ordination, but I imagine its great for anyone who wants to get some cardio in.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Hqwku_iHRv8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yup, 20 minutes a day. So much fun, especially when you can do tricks (can do one legged double unders and triple unders) and gives beastly calves

Why does he have painted nails??

nvm i forgot op is a faggot

I just got a rope and am getting into it. My plan is to do 20 mins every morning, 10 mins warm up, then 10 mins HIIT. Is that a good plan for skipping or should the warm up to HIIT ratio be different on the rope?

Sounds good

It is a great form of cardio. When I do it I do 30 - 40 minutes at a time fasted in the morning. 3 - 4 sets of 10 minutes with 1 minute in between for rest.

I want to jumprope as my cardio so bad, but every time I try it my kness ache about a week in. I've made sure my technique is right, I have the right shoes, jumping surface has a slight give to it, none of it prevents either tendonitus or aches. Feels bad man.

Build it up?

I had the same (or rather, still do). I do it twice a week now, coming from once every two weeks, due to shinsplints/pain.
I started out by doing it 30min twice a day for five days until my legs pretty much broke. So yeah, building it up is everything.

I skip a lot. If you are getting knee or shin pain, i'm sorry, it technique (unless doing high knees or something like that).
Using the balls of the feet it is a very small bounce, an inch of the ground is enough. There is no reason for your sole or heel to touch the ground skipping. Balls of the feet, tiny bounce, move from foot to foot.

I currently do step for an hour a day, basically running in place at about 70% max pace. This and pistol squats 3x10 twice a week, so I have to think my legs are in pretty good condition. Tried 3 times and failed switching to rope, and last time I tried I worked up to 30 minutes straight over the course of a week. Do you think that was still to aggressive?

What's a good type of jump rope to buy?

My technique was spot on, still had aches in my left ACL. So frustrating.

$2 speed rope from Walmart. Allows for good, consistent, and quick rythm. It will break, especially if you jump outside in the winter. You can try taping the rope by the handles to prevent it (never worked for me). I got pissed after blasting through 6 or 7 ropes in a year so I took a safety pin, put it through the bottom of the now snapped-at-the-handle rope and wrapped it in enough tape to make a ball that can fit comfortably in my hand and still turn. That lasted until the top wore thin and broke. I've heard leather ones are more durable but I've never gotten the chance to try it. Don't go for nylon, shit doesn't have enough weight to produce good rythm. Beaded are ok but when they break at the handle (as all ropes will of you take it seriously) it will make a mess

Is there a Starting Skipping or what should I read to get started?

i love jumping rope. i hated it with a passion when i started, but it's super fun when you finally git gud. i love improvising, doing doubles, crossing over, alternating feet. i feel like a cool boxer when i beast out some jump rope at the front of the gym.

Literally just keep jumping, it's pretty self correcting as any form of fucked up form means you're snapping your ankles or your back with the rope. Once you get good you can start adding tricks but those are self explanatory too. Unless you like your calves feeling like they're going to explode avoid concrete/asphalt at first. I time my jump by listening to music (jump to 5 songs which I estimate at 4 minutes, if a song that I know is less than 4 minutes comes on I skip, if a song over 7 minutes comes on I skip, anything in between I round down to 4, anything 8 or over I count as two) and do specific things for each song. First song I alternate one legged jumps in a pyramid fashion starting with 10 each leg and finishing with 10 each leg and do one legged double unders at the end. Second song I sprint for as long as I can, do regular pace when I can't go anymore, and then sprint again when ready. Third song is double unders (typically 50 in a row sometimes more) ended with either a double under cross over or a triple under. Fourth is just standard and last song is more double unders in a row followed by sprints. I started out just jumping (and hating it because there is a learning curve).

It's a great workout, improves cardio, coordination, agility, strength to a degree, is fun, and easier to pace yourself with than running (at least to me). Nothing beats the thrill of jumping rope during a thunderstorm. Few things feel better than jumping on a cold day and warming yourself up with a shower after. And it's incredibly peaceful to jump rope and watch the stars, thinking of the endless possibilities the cosmos holds

Not that I know of.

Just my 2 cents though.
If it's your first time ever jumping rope your going to suck dick at it, and it's going to take a while to commit the motion to muscle memory.

I advise the first few weeks just getting your counts up by making it into like a challenge game.
For example try doing 3 sets of 20 jumps consecutively, if you mess up on the second or third set that resets you to the first set of twenty.
If you do 3 sets of 20, bump it to 3 sets of 30, and so on until your consistently doing sets of 200+ jumps (approx 1min).
From there start focusing on time intervals Use a stopwatch and strive to hit a 3 minute interval. By the time you hit a 3 minute jump you should be pretty comfortable changing tempo and correcting slightly botched jumps. You can start adding variations and tricks right around this mark

What I do now is 2 warm ups by going for the longest period I can without fucking up (personally have never made it over 5 mins) with 2+ minute rests, then I simulate a boxing match so I do 3 minutes of jumping (if i mess up I just start jumping again), then 1 min rest anywhere from 10-15 rounds depending on how much energy i have.

Jump ropes changed my life. I went from a 270 lb slob who couldn't run down my road without dying, poor financial control, drinking nightly, ect. After reaching a goal of 1000 ropes in under 15 minutes for 7 straight days my life turned around. I now run a mile or more daily, work out almost daily, read daily, started learning a new language, got control of my finances, rarely drink, ect. I wasnt easy, or an over night process, but it was tje best thing to happen to me. Learning to set a goal, and build a plane to reach it has made me a different person.

Less Sugar Ray Robinson.
More Roy Jones Jnr - Look at how light on feet he is, on balls of the feet, tiny tiny jump.

youtu.be/Hqwku_iHRv8

Fuck yeah. good work user.

It feels good honestly. Never really typed out or talked about it to much. Just typing that out and reading it gave me a little extra boost. We gonna make it!

When you guys say you do 30+ minutes what kind of sets are you doing? Started out and doing 5 sets of 3 minutes. Is that good for beginning?

Why do Americans say "jump rope" instead of skipping?

Damn Veeky Forums looks like crossfit got something right again they love to jump rope

When will you just accept them as perfect

Hop rope would be more accurate since one is not really jumping over the rope or skipping.

With shit form like everything else they do.

seems like a difficult exercise to monitor your HR, and for that reason, i'm out

You literally just jump. Jesus fucking christ.

Depends, most styles involve skipping.

Because we aren't faggots

This is the same justification you lot give for wearing shorts that go below your knees, not cleaning your self properly, not brushing your hair, and dressing like shit. If anything this justification makes you seem like the faggots.

Tell me why I should start doing it, I'm a runner and it's certainly peaked my interest.

>peaked my interest.
What?

I will give you everything else you are talking about but skipping is gay as fuck bro