If I do a set of 12 in 12 seconds, is that the same as me doing 12 reps in 45 seconds?

If I do a set of 12 in 12 seconds, is that the same as me doing 12 reps in 45 seconds?

>This question must be discussed

Time under tension is king!!!

I like 2 seconds down 2 seconds up.

Time under tension is a strength meme.

Watch Jay Cutler, he'll do seated incline press at a break neck tempo WITH shit RoM

Of course it isn't.

This is worth discussing indeed though because the entire reason for the "8-12 reps for hypertrophy" is based on a consistent tempo of repetition.

Blasting out 12 reps in 20 seconds will not give as good results as doing it over 45 seconds for example.

It all boils down to time under tension (TUT), and "8-12" being a good number to achieve the TUT necessary for optimal growth. The body doesn't actually count reps, it just recognises stress and responds accordingly by growing stronger.

Also this is why you see skinny bros in gyms doing their incline DB press for 8-12 with fast reps and never growing.

Cutler was on enough steroids to kill a lesser man, and he has the best genetics for responding to them. What he does is not relevant.

And TUT is not a meme, literally every routine, training methodology and rep range is all made to achieve the necessary TUT for growing.

>Time under tension

euphoric.

I hate the "steroids change everything" mindset. No they fucking don't. They will make you gain more. If you're doing some absolutely bullshit routine you will gain little, steroids or no, in the longterm.

Steroids won't turn a shitty program into a good one.

OP here

So what if doing 2 reps takes me 45 seconds?

Serious question, you said over 45 seconds. How many over is too much

You're arguing a point nobody is contesting.
And you're wrong too. Steroids absolutely can build a monster physique with terrible training.

when it becomes an aerobic endurance exercise it is too much, this generally means over 20 reps, though probably more.

Doing super slow reps for only two is not ideal, because you aren't getting as much TUT through the full ROM. ROM is important in building balanced strength.

Fuck, you just described me

No one has ever told me to count the time!!!

Wtf!!!

How do I count/set tempo? I can hardly count fucking reps.

time under tension is a fucking meme. tempo work has its place as assistance, but you should focus on moving weight to build muscle

Just count seconds per up/down of each rep.

For example on bench press, one second down to chest, two seconds up to lock out. Or two down two up. two down three up, any really, just keep it consistent or progress can be hard to measure.

If you can do 225 12 times in 12 seconds...I don't even know. Your probably a monster or have a broken wrist.

its describing you because you do 12 rep incline dumbbell work instead of getting you bench up to 3pl8. its not because you arent following some fitness fad, its because youre weak

2 up 2 down sounds nice. Just did it with push ups and it's pretty much a nice, controlled tempo.

this should be stickied

You're not wrong. I didn't say to focus on TUT, just that the methodology of everyone's training is, at the core, all about achieving the necessary TUT to progress.

"Moving weight" is simply getting that TUT through the means of using intense weights. The body doesn't know the difference between 100kg and 120kg as a number, just as the stress it feels under it, and generally the TUT achieved working with a strength progression routine will be enough to make progress.

The issue here is that pushing out 12 reps in 20 seconds will yield less results than doing it in 40 seconds.

I inclined 90s

Sure weak, w.e. curl bro.

Good man.
Slow controlled reps actually open up a lot of possibility for "feeling" certain muscle groups working.

For example I feel my chest working a lot better with slow bench reps than if I press explosively, which tends to bring my triceps in sooner and more dominantly.

Wtf op, are those yoga pants

and whats your bench 1rm?

it has very little difference. if you can do X amount of slow reps, you would be better off doing more reps at a faster pace

>you would be better off doing more reps at a faster pace

Not necessarily. There are arguments to be had for both ways of doing it.
Faster pace can impact muscle activation for example. Slower pace ensures that all muscles are working as they should through the entire ROM.

The body does not make progress based on an arbitrary number of reps or kilograms lifted. It responds to stresses, and slower paced reps can provide certain stresses better than faster pace reps.

Just because these factors haven't been a part of your progress yet doesn't mean they won't ever be.

Not who your replying to but I incline 75 and flat bench 275

unless youre a novice with shit form, muscle activation is the same on the concentric, and the benefit on the eccentric is outweighed by weight/rep reduction

the stress from greater weight and more reps > increased TUT

I have used it in my training, in tempo work as well as paused work like spoto press, but its certainly less beneficial than increasing volume or intensity