So Veeky Forums, do you high or low bar squat?

So Veeky Forums, do you high or low bar squat?

Other urls found in this thread:

board.crossfit.com/showpost.php?p=404418&postcount=93
youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I front squat

High.
Just feels more natural and comfortable to me, and I'm not interested in powerlifting total.

Ah, the bitchboy cop out to avoid hard work.

>b-but its just as effective as back squatting!
no

Neither.

I Leg Press for the front part of my legs and Conventional Deadlift for the back part of my legs.

Back a few years ago when I did actually squat, I did high-bar, but I found the combination of the Leg Press and Conventional Deadlift to be superior to the Squat/Deadlift combination in regards to recovery, muscle building, etc.

Front squats can be hard work if you put enough weight on the bar. Front squats and back squats are two different exercises - by your logic, you may as well call incline benching a 'bitchboy copout' to avoid the hard work of the flat bench, which is stupid, because they are two different exercises that work the body in different manners, though having a similar mechanism.

Nope. You're making up a point I didn't make.

I didn't say front squats were bad.
Just that people who do front squats as a "replacement" for back squats and act like its just as good are bitchboys. Which they are.

let me take a wild guess, long limbed tall guy?

squats are gay. you aren't doing hard work. you are a fucking pussy trying to substitute hard work with a pansy ass lift. real men get paid to work. your fluffer ass is in a gym seeking validation by conforming to a pre approved subset or movement patterns. kys you colossal faggot.

I didn't say that you said that front squats are bad. And now you're making up a point that I didn't make. I didn't say that front squats are a "replacement" - why would I say that when I bluntly stated that they are two different exercises that work the body in different manners? I front squat, not as a "replacement" for the back squat, but because it better suits my goals as an athlete. The back squat can too be effective for an athlete, mind you.

Nope, I'm actually a manlet (5'7)

Then we agree.

My point was that people who say they do front squats but not back squats, then try to claim front squats are just as good as back squats, are mental gymnasts looking for a way to avoid the hard work that comes with back squatting. Back squats are objectively harder than front squats, physically and mentally, and a lot of people will find ways to justify not back squatting.

If someone exclusively front squats, that isn't a problem until they try to say it is better or as good as back squats.

I'm glad that we sorted this out, because this could have got ugly and heated very quickly. I completely agree with everything you have said here.

I have to leg press cause squats make me knees crackle.

I think front squats are much harder tbqh famalam

lets see you front squat 3pl8 let alone 2pl8 bitch. dont drop your elbows cunt. keep your chest up too

I started out high bar, once I got closer to 3pl8 I couldn't do it without a goodmorning and my knees caving in. I switched to low bar and had no problem and have been doing it ever since.

used to do lowbar and always had problems with lower back and squat mornings.

moved over to high bar and haven't had any problems. one thing i would say is that squat shoes are basically mandatory for high bar

I think judging whether or not front squats or back squats are more physically or mentally taxing is totally subjective. For me personally, front squats are much more difficult because they require much more core and torso stability. I prioritize front squatting over back squatting, but that's mostly because I do the Olympic lifts. Ideally, any strength trainee should do both.

You were probably losing tension in your hammies or having issues externally rotating at the hip. Good to hear you solved it though.

High bar. It's comfy.

>I Leg Press

d'aww, you dainty widdle bitch.

I am transit from shit-ass form low bar/morning squat to high bar. In low bar you can lift bigger weights or you can do same weight?

>high or low bar squat?
I alternate high bar and front squat, 6-7 days per week.

Low bar is retarded shoulder cancer unless you're specifically training for a powerlifting competition.

we'll need to see your body to judge if squats have been effective for you

you will post your physique, right user?

First off,,, I don't squat in "squat shoes".... I went from socks, to flat soles, to "weightlifting shoes", and back to flat soles.

I lift in Adidas "tennis" sneakers with no squishy ness no air no cushion. Even from heel to toe.

Anyway.... Low bar all day. First hips, then knees. Back and not down. High bar looks far too constrained, and lacking leverage.

>could be wrong, but 25+ years in the iron game

I do high bar simply because it feels more natural to me. The low bar just never felt right (especially the bar placement) no matter how many times I tried to incorporate it.

I used to be like you. Do you remember when you first started squatting how the bar would hurt your traps, then it stopped after like 2 weeks? Same with low bar, just keep doing it and I promise you will get used to it. I forced myself to and now my squat is shooting up, way heavier than with high bar. Low bar is far superior if you are trying to put up maximal amount of weight.

you gotta admit high bar is far more AESTHETIC though

High bar unless you plan to compete in gear

My shoulder mobility is so bad that I have trouble even getting under the bar low-bar, so I switched to high-bar. I'm a noob though, only been lifting for two months.

I know which I prefer.

Agreed.... One of the first things I tell new squatters is to "make a shelf" with your traps... however they may be..... keep that head up, look at a point on the wall,,,, keep chest up,,, and drop.... BUT then,,,, push up with your legs... just don't "stand up".

>pay me

>low-bar feels awkward
>still working on wrist mobility for front squats
high-bar default race

LMAO

That meme is so true

Low bar squats gave me a wide waistline

>not grasping Jeff Lewis squats 600+ and lives in the Land of the Free and Rice Boy is a Commie Slave with his family held at gunpoint.

>Low bar squats gave me a wide waistline
Considering that core activation is quite low when performing a squat (around 20%), they're not going to give you a "wide waistline." Please stop spreading misinformation.

high bar and front squat. Good morning squats are for memelifters

180kg high bar squat here (top set of 1x5). Used to lowbar but I got fed up of constantly getting tendonitis on my elbows. Yes I know LB squat is better for general strength development, but who cares, the difference isn't as big as you'd expect.

I'll let Glenn Pendlay illustrate my thoughts on this

board.crossfit.com/showpost.php?p=404418&postcount=93

the TL;DR version of that post is, in general, doesn't matter a great deal. Just fucking squat.

>tfw long torso, short leg master race
Highbar atg all day

I lift for hypertrophy, so I need a movement that's gonna give best bang for the buck for hitting the legs - that's always gonna be high bar

(you)

Low bar.
>Less knee travel is easier on your knees
>Low bar strengthens your posterior chain
>Quads look good, but aren't as important for athletic ability as the Hamstrings and glutes.

I tried squatting ATG but now my knees are fucked. You motherfuckers told me it would be ok.

This is natural selection in action. we hope you enjoy life, cripple.

>Protip, your form was shit.

Squatting is for geeks

>leg press and diddly ubermensch

What's even the point of low-bar squats if you do deadlifts anyway. Aren't you doing the same thing twice?

I use low bar for all sets, but I also do high bar for all but the last warmup set (doing SS).

There shouldn't be anywhere near as much knee extension in the dead lift. Your hips are probably too low.

same for me, it just feels more right

also this

i squat low bar with hip DRAHVE just to train my fucked up lower back more

whenever i did high bar my disc bulge would always be noticable, even with "perfect" form, but when i started doing low bar squat with focus on the hips, the pain went away and i feel better everyday

i think most ppl stay away from low bar because it's harder, at least setup wise. most ppl can setup correctly the first time they do high bar, but low bar actually takes a few workouts to get right, and that's just the setup part

While we're at it:
Is hip or ankle mobility more important in order to squat to depth?. I find that I can barely bend at my hips below 80 degrees

fat powerlifter detected

DYEL?
(You)
This is retarded. Yes, front squats are easier. That means you can program them at higher volume and still recover. If you're running a hypertrophy block, it's stupid to program a lift with the intention of making it harder on your CNS
Weak bait.
Correct
Yes. Both are important. Touch your knee to a wall, and shoot your foot back as far as you can while keeping your heel on the ground. When you've reached the maximum distance, if you can fit a closed fist the long way between your big toe and the wall, you have enough ankle mobility.

DYEL nulifter detected
>m-muh front squats are funcitonal

>DYEL?
I probably lift a lot more than you friend.

>it without a goodmorning and my knees caving in
no core strength, no hip mobility and no hip abductor strength

>you may as well call incline benching a 'bitchboy copout'
it is

Which has better carryover to sports, like MMA?

low bar. it feels more natural to me but I'm a noob (~1mo) so it may be because I don't really have traps to rest the bar on. it does hurt my shoulder a bit (at time of and sore next day, sometimes two) but I'm pretty sure I'm not putting weight on it and it is a mobility issue that will work itself out?

obligatory video

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

pic related, the average powerlifter

if it hurts your shoulder it's a bit too low in most cases

Whatever you can get the strongest with.

"Sports"