I'm not sure if this should go here or on Veeky Forums, but how do you solve this? Is there a way out?

I'm not sure if this should go here or on Veeky Forums, but how do you solve this? Is there a way out?

I "solve" it by pointing out that it only really applies to a very narrow band of Christian conceptions about God, and that Christianity has numerous other theological problems disqualifying it from possibly being true. Then I ignore it.

Epicurus solved it himself by manipulating the definitions of good and evil.

How so? How did he manipulate those definitions?

Epicurus probably never even formulated it. The trilemma is attributed to him in De Ira Dei by Lactantius, some 600 years or so after Epicurus died. Given that Epicurus lived in a society that was

A) Polythiestic
B) Clearly acknowledged that most if not all of their gods were both limited in power and knowledge AND horrible dickholes

it doesn't seem like something he would say.

Goodness is subjective.

The only paradox I see here is that any thinking bean could think Epicurius is convincing and not a blabbering retard.

>all that ass hurt but no argument

God is a fucking cunt who hates people

Epicurus argues that the highest good is pleasure, defined as a tranquil state absent of any pain and fear. A perfect being would exist in such a state of pleasure and tranquility that it would be completely uninterested in the world beneath it and would refrain from interfering.

Epicurus sort of has his cake and eats it too, because he both allows for the existence of a god and argues for him being irrelevant.

The actual trilemma may very well be misattributed, but the Greeks did grapple with the concept of evil. Philosophers increasingly rejected the stories of gods as anthropomorphic and petty and imagined them as more abstract, perfect and just, and so had to contend with the obvious imperfection of the world around them.

I’m not a hedonist. I haven’t done anything to make my ass hurt.

>Evil exists
No. Case closed.

He then put the question, "Why has God not made man just as He wanted him to be?" "For the very reason," was Akiva's ready answer, "that the duty of man is to perfect himself."[2][76]

you solve it by recognizing god doesnt exist.

*nods respectfully towards you*
my lady

how sisyphean.

not an argument, friend

you didn't provide one

the premises assume there's a god. there's no paradox if there's no god. paradox solved.

Is that A.C.? It's clearly BC but what the fuck kind of B is that.

the a probably stand for ante which means before

this, but the funny part is
>Epicurus probably never even formulated it
this.
It's just ironic and kind of a blackpill.
The man who defeated the argument before it was created was attributed with the creation of the argument itself which is seen as undefeatable.

So Nazis persecuting innocent Jewish civilians were not evil?

Daily reminder that God is a reply to the problem of evil, and consequently, not the reason why the problem is posed.

Learning about Epicureanism in College. He contributed a lot to Hellenistic culture, and was the standard religion until stoicism