Veeky Forums Book Thread: Republic of China Edition

Previous Thread: Veeky Forums Book Thread; come discuss what you're reading, ask for recommendations or recommend some books to your fellow anons, ask for opinions on some books you've been thinking of reading.

>Hundreds of book lists for research into numerous topics, with explanations of each recommendation
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2/1

>Compilation of Recommended Reading Charts from previous threads:
imgur.com/a/7YLKv

Mega libraries of free e-books suggested by kind anons:

>2,000 World History Books
mega.nz/#F!dlZlDbqL!TXG5bGvWufONkrQAL7b7jA

>Mysticism/Occult Books
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

>Introduction to Buddhism
mega.nz/#F!8yoXVK7A!TC52QPsBJcfjDyVVsy06wA

>Some 150 pdfs of history, religion, philosophy, and other stuff
mega.nz/#F!flYQGbzI!p1AFjtMuCLHQqocJqxV7rg

>45gigs worth of mostly Military History
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

>Philosophy Collection
mega.nz/#F!MQBRHBJA!L_on3h-XUrtbc719UaMygw

>Some drawing and art guides
mega.nz/#F!2RARFaLA!VTiQb6eRXfV4V6mYQ6FJTA

>Warfare
mega.nz/#F!x4JD1RzD!4_nIFmI2sBdSYg14j7pIdA

>8GB of Books
mega.nz/#F!51Q0waSI!4Ut-eePQr9YSjHJJTQs7Ew

>Mesoamerica
mega.nz/#F!msA0Xb5Y!1t9OYAkkx0PUG8haYYiITw

>Moundbuilders/Mississippians of North America
mega.nz/#F!GwolDKTS!YeQjR65-xy1WCItk-A90dA

>E-book/Audio book sites:

librivox.org/
b-ok.org/
gutenberg.org/
archive.org/details/audio_bookspoetry
loyalbooks.com/
digitalbook.io/
etc.usf.edu/lit2go/
audible.com/
goodreads.com/
gen.lib.rus.ec/

>Other Recommended Reading Resources:
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Charts
reddit.com/r/history/wiki/recommendedlist
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Literature_by_origin

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/History-US-Thirteen-Colonies-1600-1740/dp/0195327160
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=23A002913E767E169C23F2E2B9C8DB6B
youtube.com/watch?v=xqSByvPtYOQ
cambridge.org/core/series/armies-of-the-great-war/02B69320768352C2E7146827B24B1114
pastebin.com/TahG61rv
pastebin.com/raxBsL2h
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195393361/obo-9780195393361-0063.xml?rskey=mRzcX4&result=1&q=ugarit#firstMatch
pastebin.com/Nx7H2LtF
pastebin.com/7vUiiqeX
pastebin.com/1Zzys57Y
pastebin.com/QUFvPXik
academia.edu/32923104/Korotayev_A._Pre-Islamic_Yemen._Wiesbaden_Harrassowitz_Verlag_1996
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Both of these are pretty good

Reading now

anyone have a list for books on political theory?
>inb4

This is the best argument I've ever read for a realist foreign policy. I don't agree with everything, and I think he at times fudges history to fit his argument. However, it does a good job of explaining why realism can be a valid foreign policy. I'm trying to find the equivalent in liberalism, the foreign policy school, but nothing has been recommended.

thank you user

I would add Hsi-Sheng Ch'i's "Warlord Politics In China" to that, but all in all that's a very good recommendation. 10/10 filling up my library now.

Im getting my ass in gear and I'm going to dive head first back into reading. Based on what I just picked up, what should I start next?

Trail of Tears. Cherokee history is pretty obscure in general, beyond the base facts that they had their own alphabet and they were expelled to Oklahoma.

I'm about 20 pages into it now. Really enjoying it. Any other books on Native American history I should be aware of?

Cambridge History of China is nice but the Wade-Giles makes your blood boil after a while.

Why?

taken from the last thread

Wade-Giles is a fuck retarded way of spelling Chinese names of people/places/things,

Does anyone know about any history books that are about the Himyarite Kingdom/Himyar?

Thats already on there bottom row senpai

Oh, my mistake, Hsi-Sheng Ch'i's book is in there. Upgrading appraisal to 11/10 everything I've always wanted in a Republic of China overview.

Thoughts on this purchase? Should I pull the trigger?

donate that money to a charity instead

Thats awesome if you have the money to blow on it. But as the chart creator be warned I havent read most of those bit collected them together from the pastebins and some research so i camt guarantee theyll al be good. Matbe start small kek

I also forgot to add one work by some indian author who writes on china but its more about civil governance in warlord china

I'm about 3/4 of the way through this thicc book and not sure what to read next. I really liked The Best and the Brightest which I read before this one. Any more cold war suggestions that vein?

That book was awesome. I read that and then read Sleepwalkers which was also very good.

Highly enjoying this. Any recommendations of what to read next in relation to it?

Maybe cortes memoirs on it (composed by a lawyer from his notes and in consultation)

nice thumbnail

good but no source on first half of 17 century when Pilgrims arrived on the continent.

First British colony established in 1607 according to Wikipedia. Puritans came in 1620. Independence declared in 1776.

That period is very meaningful to me.

amazon.com/History-US-Thirteen-Colonies-1600-1740/dp/0195327160
Can anyone recommend this one?

Hype or Max too pop for you guys?

What's a definitive book on overall World War II history?

Also does anyone know of any books on Ancient Iberians/Spain?

Any book on the training of roman armies?

Anyone have any books that have criticised Needham's history of china? any general blogposts or whatever is fine too

would also be interested in some recommendations on first half of 17th century/Pilgrims period of America

I dont know if those books were translated to english, but ill give you some good ones:

"Iberos, los españoles como fuimos". Writed by Juan Eslava Galán.

"Breve historia de los íberos", writed by Jesús Bermejo Tirado.

We have a lot of literature about our ancestors, but I dunno if you can get them in your country. Look in Amazon.

anything on the spanish civil war? esp. the cnt-fai

already have bookchin's book

I thought John keegan did a fine job doing a summary of the Second World War. It’s clear he’s more of a tactics kinda guy, but he delivers much of the background effectively at each front.

Pic related and Osprey's book on them are the only two I've read.

Any good entry-level books on Alexander and his successors?
The Hellenistic period seems fascinating, but I know very little about it.

Read the wikipedia. Seriously, that era is well-done on wiki.

Is this book in the mega archive? I can't find him.

When in doubt, check libgen.
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=23A002913E767E169C23F2E2B9C8DB6B

There's the two Alexander biographies by Robin Lane Fox (positivist) and Peter Green (negative view)

"Ghost on the Throne" is about the wars of the Diadochoi immediately post Alexander's Death. Apparently its really good

If you want to try some entertaining primary sources, the Landmark Arrian and Plutarch's "Life of Alexander" are surprisingly readable, and engaging.

If you want a book dealing with the Roman conquest of the sucessor kingdoms, there is "Taken at the Flood: The Roman Conquest of Greece" by Robin Waterfield

Do you guys buy the books or do you read them on computer?

ereader

what are the advantages over reading on a computer?

Nice lectures
youtube.com/watch?v=xqSByvPtYOQ

not the user youre replying to but its probably the fact that you can take it where ever and the screen probably doesnt hurt the eyes as much. that would be my guess. i dont have one though

Pastebin in OP has a bibliography on the “needham question”

>you can take it where ever and the screen probably doesnt hurt the eyes as much. that would be my guess
thought as much, thanks for answering me mate

checked.
and no problem, friend

just finished this. it's about sikkim, a himalayan buddhist kingdom next to (and heavily related to) bhutan and it's struggle to stay independent and build recognition during the cold war, centred around their king and his american wife.

it's narrative-driven pop history but it's a cool niche subject matter and it also has some decent insights into nehru, the chinese invasion of tibet, cold war politics in asia, indira gandhi, the dalai lama and sino-indian relations among other things. definitely worth a read.

Is this as good as Heart of Europe/Holy Roman Empire?

>A Military History of Modern China 1924-1929

i actually used that. it's a bit sparse on details though. my paper was done on pre-1940 foreign aid to china. my favorite was researching the trade relations between china and germany/russia. two books i used were Borodin: Stalin’s Man in China and Germany and Republican China

it feels weird but when you actually speak chinese you can understand how the romanized pronounciation works.

>the coldest winter

man, i loved that book. great writing and actually had readable military maps. is it the definitive book on the korean war?

What are some good books on the French Revolution up to Napoleon?

Is this as good as his Hitler bio?

Requesting anything an Ugarit. I'll trade any books on naval powers in return.

>Juan Eslava Galán
>Libtard author

bump

I already asked but here we go again. I'm looking for a book detailling the training roman soldiers went through

made and posted this one a while ago, anyone want to make some additions?

I remember reading one of Mearsheimer's journal articles on why NATO's constant expansion post-coldwar despite promising Russia not to box them in is to blame for the Ukraine conflict. He was very convincing from what i remember

>liberalism

You mean the Liberalism of the early 20th century (In the context of international relations, meaning Wilsonian stuff like the Fourteen points) ? or Neo-Liberalism ?

Doyle's "Ways of war and Peace" (1997) is a decent overview of the former kind of Liberalism and he splits it up into different types like Liberal Pacifism and Liberal Interventionism (think Blair and Iraq/Kosovo). For Neo-Liberalism try R.Keohane's "Institutions for the earth", it covers the general idea of Neo-liberalism in international relations and provides case studies of the international 'institutions' that they advocate

'Neo-Realism and it's critics' by Keohane is a good book that provides a defence of realism in general rather than specifically advocating offensive realism like Mearsheimer does. I can't recall if there's Liberal equivalent of Mearsheimer's book that covers all though but i don't think there is (if i recall correctly some people even dispute the idea that the early 'Liberal' school of international relations ever existed but i can't remember who wrote that). The books should be right but ive not read them in years so the stuff i'm writing about them is very general

>What's a definitive book on overall World War II history?

Beevor's The Second World War was alright. Doesn't really cover many battles in detail though and it's lacking in maps (specifcally battles) imo. But, it is written for a wide audience and is easy to understand and well written and not at all hard to read.

Beevor also wrote a book on the Spanish civil war, never read it though.

i mostly read physical when it's non-fiction simply because i find footnotes on kindle annoying to work with.

Chistopher Hibbert's The French Revolution is a good intro, post-1795 feels like an afterthought though so you end up knowing fuck all about The Directory period. Schama's Citizen's is probably a better intro but i could never get past the fact that he can't get beyond seeing Robespierre's dictatorical actions as a precursor to Hitler (or something similarly dumb about 20th century dictators). But Citizens is decent if i remember right but Schama clearly hates the revolution. You can read Lefebvre's books if you want to know the old fashioned Marxist view of the revolution that lost alot of it's popularity after Furet released 'The French Revolution' that rejected the idea that the revolution occured due to long term structural factors for a more complex view of the causes (he also wrote a book called Interpreting the French revolution if you want to know specifically about how the historiography of the French Revolution has changed. My knowledge of the Revolution becomes quite sparse after Robespierre dies desu

can anyone recommend any books about medieval irish history?

This book is good. Got ridiculed by a lot of people because he called everyone savages during this time period.

I had meant liberalism as a school of thought. Sort of why nations should adopt liberalism over realism.

Anyone got any book recommendations about the Chinese revolutionary movements in the late 1800s and early 1900s? I'd strongly prefer an ethnic Chinese writer, and one which is fluent in Mandarin. Westerners often have too much cultural baggage.

Sup Veeky Forums, it's me the architect user with the history hobby. I went ahead and started a guide to World War I that has some books that I think are a good look into the hows and whys of the conflict. There are definitely tons of books that I missed that I could add in here, so feel free to provide input and summaries so I can add them in here.

also, I just finished reading Maximilian and Carlota last night, and added it into this chart. It was actually excellent and explains why the failure of the French intervention and execution of Maximilian was bad for Napoleon III, French morale, weakening of the French military, screwed up diplomacy between the French and Austrians in the years preceding the Franco-Prussian War (and earlier defeat of Austria in the Austro-Prussian War), and lack of unity to beat Prussia, and eventual relationship before World War I.

Add "The Eastern Front: 1914-1917" by Norman Stone, pretty much core reading if you want to know about the Eastern Front. It starts off by explaining the state of the military in Russia before the war, then it goes on to explain the philosophy behind Russia's military, what sort of problems it faced during the war, how it tried to overcome them, what was the Russian General Staff doing and of course all the battles and tactics and whatnot.

I like it, but it seems pretty similar to your old guide content-wise. The "seeds of war" section seems like kind of a stretch.

Yeah, I have said previously that my chart is as close of a guide to WWI chart due to the number of books I had. In my reasoning, I see WWI as a chain of dominoes that arguably starts falling into place in the French Revolution with the toppling and destabilization of the Old World Monarchies and the introduction of liberal ideals and not really with the system of alliances and July events. Napoleon adds to this by introducing a system of meritocracy in his conquests and is the first to unify many of the Italian and German city states, while introducing mass conscription and new warfare tactics.

The rest of the 19th century has the rise of Prussia and the German Empire which leads to conflict/rivalry with France that is one of the motivations for War in 1914. The Crimean War further influences the views of Western Europe about Russia. The Sleepwalkers is a great look at why war started but the books in the Seeds of War section give a lot of background on European politics that pretty much lead to War.

In my eyes, World War I is fascinating due to the machinations that fell into place that led to the eventual War, and it's really a story best understood as how and why.

Is the best thing to do is to start learning about WWI by reading a general overview, or start with reading about root causes? I am going to finish Livy, but I wanna take a break from classical history to move to the First World War, and I was gonna pick up “A World Undone”

If you want to know about the War as an overview, A World Undone is your go to. The Sleepwalkers will be supplemental reading. This chart is what I think almost fully explains how we got to the conflict, but it's not necessary to understand the important points of the war.

ty OP

"A World Undone", "Fall of the Ottomans", and "The Russian Revolution: A New History" by Sean McMeekin are the three WW1 books that I recommend to everybody. I've read other books on the war, but those 3 are like an unofficial trilogy.

Thanks loves

Famous history books i might find in a south american library?

Philosophy And psychology for dummies please

I thought the 'armies of the great war' series published by Cambridge university press was good. Strangely despite there being 4 books in the series already out neither the German or Austrian army has been covered, i'd of thought Germany would've been the first or second out. It's mostly intro tier military focused stuff though (the bits about how the French army tried to innovate at every turn was interesting desu e.g trying to use harpoons to move barbed wire)

cambridge.org/core/series/armies-of-the-great-war/02B69320768352C2E7146827B24B1114

"the Philosphy book" and "the Politics book" are what you're looking for

Is there a Walter Benjamin for dummies?

fall of the qing 1860-1912
pastebin.com/TahG61rv

check the imgur in OP there are three charts on medieval ireland

bibliograph on the roman military
pastebin.com/raxBsL2h

see pic related also and:
Phang, Sara Elise. 2008 Roman military service: Ideologies of discipline in the late Republic and early principate. Cambridge, UK, and New York: Cambridge Univ. Press.
>Phang’s definition of disciplina goes well beyond simple military discipline, which does get its chapter, to look at the army’s training in areas that include combat and unit solidarity either on campaign or in times of peace. There is an extensive discussion of the army as a labor force when not at war.
DOI: 10.1017/CBO9780511497872

this would be best but it's not in the OP pastebin
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195393361/obo-9780195393361-0063.xml?rskey=mRzcX4&result=1&q=ugarit#firstMatch

these pastebins have books on it just ctrl f ugarit
pastebin.com/Nx7H2LtF
pastebin.com/7vUiiqeX
pastebin.com/1Zzys57Y

thank you lad

pastebin.com/QUFvPXik

found this on the wiki page:
academia.edu/32923104/Korotayev_A._Pre-Islamic_Yemen._Wiesbaden_Harrassowitz_Verlag_1996

Bowersock, Glen W. Throne of Adulis: Red Sea Wars on the Eve of Islam. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
>With its political capital at Axum (present-day Ethiopia) and its commercial capital at Adulis (present-day Eritrea), the Adulite-Aksumite Kingdom was for the seven centuries of the Christian era a potent regional force with far-reaching alliances. This book revives the discussion about its military operations in Yemen when the Arab-Jewish ruler of Himyar massacred Christians at Najran in 523 CE.

some works are also in french i think

I need a books about Kazan khanate, who know some?

mostly found books on russian conquest

Martin, Janet. “Muscovite Relations with the Khanates of Kazan’ and the Crimea (1460s to 1521).” Canadian-American Slavic Studies 17.4 (1983): 435–453.
>Unraveling an extremely complex period in Muscovite relations with the Kazan’ and Crimea, this article explores the military, diplomatic, and dynastic relations that crisscrossed between these two successor states to the Jochid ulus and Muscovy.
Martin, Janet. Treasure of the Land of Darkness: The Fur Trade and Its Significance for Medieval Russia. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1986.
>Examines the various kinds of fur trade, in particular the squirrel and sable fur trade, carried out by Bulgar, Kievan Rus, Novgorod, Muscovy, and Kazan from the 9th through the 16th centuries and its connection to state formation under these different civilizations.
Romaniello, Matthew P. Elusive Empire: Kazan and the Creation of Russia, 1552–1671. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2012.
>A rich analysis of how Muscovite administrative policy responded to the exigencies of administering the territory of the newly conquered Khanate of Kazan, populated by non-Slavic non-Christians, and gradually integrating the middle Volga River region into an imperial framework.
Pelenski, Jaroslaw. Russia and Kazan: Conquest and Imperial Ideology, 1438–1560s. The Hague: Mouton, 1974.
>Russia’s conquest of the Kazan Khanate was no accident but the product of decades of effort. Muscovy claimed sovereignty over Kazan on a variety of historical, legal, juridical, and religious grounds. The annexation of Kazan was supported by members of all social classes and was central to Muscovite imperial ideology.
Halperin, Charles J. Russia and the Golden Horde: The Mongol Impact on Medieval Russian History. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1987.
>Overview of Mongol conquest of the Rus’, as well as later conflicts with the waning of Mongol power.

Any interesting books about the neolithic period?

thanks

"Psychology" Grey

Does John Keay's "India: A History" discuss the history of Buddhism at all?

Also what are essential Buddhist literature to read? Like the Diamond and Heart Sutra and The Dhammaphada?

Also does Keay discuss the history of Jainism as well?

What's a good general book on the Dutch republic? Looking at getting The Dutch Republic by Jonathan Israel but it's pricey for me right now.

Almost done reading this. So far all I have to say is..."Meh".
It's a fairly nice introduction book on the "indecisiveness" of America during the interwar period, specifically this sort of conflict between Isolationist congress and "Pro-league"/"Pro-interventionist" presidents, but nothing too special or outstanding. I'd say read this if you want to get a general look on the foreign policy of the United States in the interwar period, more suited for a leisure reader rather than an academic.