Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/strong-case-for-the-rounded-back-deadlift
youtu.be/_aqYYhM7CrU?t=7m59s
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/28130627/
suppversity.blogspot.com/2017/02/pyramid-training-drop-setting-both.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You might be retarded if you hurt yourself doing OHP

Seriously, how do you hurt yourself doing OHP?
It's hard to get the form wrong unless you're trying hard.

not going hurt as much as my throbbing cock up your ass, bitchboy op

well you can hurt your lower back from arching it instead of the thoracic spine.

I honestly don't think you can label an exercise as inherently risky without considering the individual who's doing it.
If you don't have the mobility or technical proficiency to do something that's going to be a problem. If you try to do that thing with a huge amount of load or for a million reps it's going to be an even bigger problem. But other people may be just fine doing it.

flat bench

wrong pic

Deathgrips

There is literally no evidence to prove deadlifts are dangerous to the spine.
Not even trolling. Try and find some.

>t-nation.com/training/strong-case-for-the-rounded-back-deadlift
It's perfectly fine to *KEEP* a *slightly* rounded back when deadlifting. It's awfully wrong to **CHANGE** your lumbar flexion/spinal rotation during the lift. See youtu.be/_aqYYhM7CrU?t=7m59s as well.
Deadlifting with correct form does not hamper your spine. Deadlifting with poor form hampers your spine. There's plenty of evidence for it. Why do you keep perpetrating this asinine question?
On top of it, if you're not moving the weight but it's the weight moving you, you're on a one-way trip to snap city.

The evidence is that webm.

Dumb motherfuckers who have no idea what safe dead form is, fuck their backs in half doing shit like that, then get on the internet and act like it is the exercise's fault.

Driving a car is "worth the risk", but if I take may hands off the wheel and floor the gas pedal, bad shit will likely happen.

>The evidence is that webm.
? the guy finishes his 1RM attempt and leaves the barbell fine and dandy.

behind the neck press. inb4 klokov, arnold, {insert professional roiding bodybuilder here}
barbell upright rows too.
and sissy squats.
and l hope you guys don't use the leg extension machine.

m8 if anything the webm proves the oppoisite.
The guy looks in no pain at all.

Spoken like a true SSlord.
>hurr everything has to be 5rep max effort so that means these exercises are dangerous

flat bench, back squat, leg press

front squat, snatch grip deadlift and db bench will get you far more ripped with less chance of injury

What are you basing that on? I say few people have the mobility to safely perform snatch grip deadlifts.

Not worth smashing my collarbone into pieces.

i'm always scared i'm doing deadlifts poorly. should i be able to "feel" bad form?

like most reps i don't really feel it in my back, but for the last rep or so i can feel it in my back, but it doesn't really hurt.

but then afterwards for the next dozen or so minutes my lower back is sore as fuck.

your comment doesn't even make sense.

>exercises are what gets you ripped

DYEL?

Having lifted for 9 years now, give or take, these are the things that I've found increases risk of injury: (in no particular order)

Low exercise variety
High training volume
Close proximity to failure
Exercises you don't have the mobility for OR only just have enough mobility for
Exercises that force your joints into positions they're not comfortable in (sort of related to the above)
Poor function of core
Poor function of glutes
Poor function of feet
Extremely high resting tone in certain muscles (typically pectoralis minor, rectus femoris etc.)

I've had so many damn injuries and nagging pains that I became a physiotherapist.

What I meant was, none of those exercises you listed are inherently dangerous when performed properly.

You're a DYEL with shitty mobility.

i literally dont understand how you do front squat without snapping your clavicle or suprasternal notch.

No, and no.
All of them are inherently dangerous even when performed properly.

i don't think OHP is inherently injurious, but the only two injuries i've suffered in my 6 year lifting career were doing OHP

i think anyone claiming it's in any way safer than bench press is full of shit, of course you see less people getting hurt doing OHP - less people do it to begin with, almost everyone with a gym membership does flat bench

which kind of injuries?

Call me a retard then. I've Injured myself Lifting 40 fucking pounds, after almost 3 months of progression. To this amount and plenty warm up.
It's been almost a month now, and the pain when I lift my right arm up feels the same.

got some pretty bad tendonitis in my right wrist early on (like first 6 months of lifting), some sort of weird shoulder strain later on (like 3 years into lifting)

I don't do OHP much these days because it's a real bench press volume goblin (and I get a lot more out of bench and close grip bench), but I rotate it back in occasionally because it's fun

>All of them are inherently dangerous even when performed properly.

No they aren't. "performed properly" is the problem here. Most people don't.

>deltlet detected

what do you mean by "high resting tone in pec minor and rec. femoris"?

>>No they aren't.
Yes, they are. Unwarranted shear forces on the patella are there on both sissy squat and leg extensions, for literal no benefits over any other exercise targeting the same muscle groups. Subacromial impingements are there for both BTN and barbell upright row. Why someone would even defend barbell upright row is beyond me. A very wide grip in both these would meet a more natural ROM for your scapula and your rotator cuffs, still there will be additional strain. No one will actually defend upright barbell row. db lateral raises, db raises or at least db upright row are all superior. yet you'll see some know-all faggots suggesting Barbell Upright Row, Close Grip (because that's how "it's a classic!®" and it's Proper Form). I saw a 30-something barely ottermode faggot suggesting them to a newbie no more than a week ago. Thankfully the newbie noticed that the guy had quite a hunch and reversed to a different exercise when he left.

tightness/shortness

oh, makes sense. I share the same conclusion/observation then.

40lbs? So you were doing it with dumbbells?

isn't it supposed to rest on the muscles of your shoulder? Like how in back squats its not supposed to rest on your neck

most people don't have the strength to do them with ego weight and are unwilling to stop chasing numbers like they're the be all and end all
better posterior activation, less weight so no need to use under over grip

do you? this is about meme exercises
I named the lifts everyone knows which can be replaced with better results and greater safety

but keep sucking rippetoe off if you like

it's all about frame

I've a massive ribcage and short upper arm bones and thick collarbones which means i'm essentially built for OHP, yet if I try to BB press I fuck up either my back or collarbones

I'm only 26 and my shit is all snapped up. I have constant pain my right forearm along a tendon from all these meme exercises.

That's a crossfit power clean and a terrible demonstration of form
>Hips too low at start
>frames 2 and 3 are ok
>frame 4 shoulders are going back instead of up, and ankles are not extending
>frames 5-6 are the worst offenders.
>Elbows are moving up while knees haven't started dipping in frame 5, which means this is a muscle clean, not a power clean
>yet in frame 6 he front squats, pretending to have dipped as you would in a power clean
>frame 7 doesn't look too bad

You left out CrossFit

Yeah, dumbbells.

Real talk, the bar is going to partially rest on your clavicles. Your delts should support it primarily but depending on your build the bar is going to put more or less force on your clavicles. Just stop being a pussy and lift through it. The pain goes away after a couple workouts or weeks.

Imo squats are dangerous if you have very long femurs

you wont be able to hit depth without butt wink or excessive forward knee travel

FUCK YOU AND DELETE THIS WEBBUM

>>Hips too low at start
Stopped reading there. If you don't know what individual differences in leverage are you have no business critiquing other people's form. I bet you're the type of dumbass who tells people to sit their hips back and to not let their knees go past their toes at the bottom of the squat.

I can't even bend my back that much on purpose.

Fun fact, nobody ever broke his clavicle doing cleans and pretty much every male at the Olympics, world championships or continental championships is cleaning more than you can deadlift.

This thread again, faggot ?
We told you your form sucks.

>High training volume
Do you mean high training volume in general or too much training volume to recover from? Because the former is necessary for progress, the other is just following a training routine you're not yet ready for.

>got some pretty bad tendonitis
Weird. When I had pain in my wrist I was not able to bench because of the angle of my wrist but I could OHP without any issues.

You are an idiot.
Getting ripped is about diet, not exercises.

>40 pounds ohp
>Injuring yourself

Are you a chick or?

Yes, and yes.

I did 90 lbs OHP 5x10 the other day. The next morning I woke up with sick pain in my left lower back that lasted for several hours. I almost cried from the pain, eventually I passed out on the couch and woke up completely fine an hour later. Then I woke up at 4:00 last night, took a painkiller and went back to sleep and felt fine in the morning.

I might be the OHP, it might be the 4x20 laying leg raises or might be my sleeping position, but I am scared of doing OHP now. I haven't worked out in 2 days now.

Anyone know what I might be? The pain is in the lower left side of the back, radiating out from the spine. Movement doesn't affect the pain, its just a constant pain.

Oh, a child. How cute.

You huge pussy. That's a muscle strain in your erector spinae. The left one to be exact. If you snapped your spine, the pain would change depending on your position and it would radiate from the center of your lower back.

Alright, do you know how long it lasts?

What happens? I can never watch these videos. Can see the occasional gore, but not these...

Why is it every single half decent powerlifters I know has injuries from deadlifts?

>it couldn't possibly be me doing something wrong, it must be the lift that's bad

100% chance that your bench arch is indistinguishable from flat back, you kyphotic fuck

This pearl being cast before these swine.
user, you're wasting your time here.

Depends. When I started out I had a pretty bad muscle strain in my hip flexors which lasted a couple of weeks but only because my dumb ass kept on squatting which aggravated it further. So if possible at all, try not doing any exercises where your core has to stabilize your upper body. If you do bench for example, don't arch or use leg drive. You'll notice yourself what aggravates it and what is okay. If the pain gets worse and stays for a prolonged time it might be good idea to visit a doctor on the off chance that there's something substantially wrong with the muscle.

A few days. Put some heat on it, and work on bracing your core next time.

Oh, a dyel fag. How cute.

Probably a competitive drive to just force their way through a heavy lift, even if they know that it's not the safest way to do it. So they do it, it feels great to have done it, and then it starts to hurt later. Like that guy who deadlifted 1200 lbs. He did it, and he was gettin ready to celebrate, until he fuckin passed out on the ground for a minute.

Dude, I'm not even against you but if you want to shut someone up on Veeky Forums just post your body. They're most likely dyels themselves.

Without necessarily disagreeing with you, please note that there is a humongous fucking difference between training for good health and training for maximum performance. And that's got nothing to do with the exercise.

>"Not worth the risk of injuries"
not worth the risk?
Op's a little bitch

>Do you mean high training volume in general or too much training volume to recover from?
Well "high" training volume is always going to be a relative term of course. Unfortunately, the amount of volume that's indeed needed for maximum results is always going to be close to what you can recover from, and as such will be associated with a general higher risk of injury. I'm not saying that volume is bad or that you shouldn't necessarily try to get as much progress as you can - as long as you're aware that whenever you're trying to push the envelope you're also increasing risk of injury.
See

REMINDER

anthropometry plays a huge role in any exercise, i wholeheartedly agree

a deadlift might as well be a completely different exercise to someone with relatively long limbs than it is to someone with relatively short limbs as far as stress on the lower back is concerned

it really hurt when i made a key turning motion with my right hand, supporting weight on it was actually not a problem so i wrapped the fuck out of it and continued lifting as a meathead 16 year old (in 2011) is apt to do

maybe he means just training near your MRV constantly with no working up to it or deloading from it

they are inherently more stressful on the lower back and knees if you are not built for them, if your proportions are fucked enough you actually can't even hit depth even if the individual mobility in your ankles and hips is sufficient

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk

>no u
that's pretty childish tbqh. Everything he posted here is pretty much agreeable. You don't have to be contrarian just to spout your inner sense of failure on a mexican forum for inexpensive limb extension surgery, you know.

He isn't on his way to Snap City, he's the fucking myor.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that's terrified of benching heavy with a bar.

Dumbbells are good enough for me.

Why dont you try it with a barbell then? Im up to 105lbs and have no problems

I would like to know this as well, as I always have a feeling I am doing the lift with extremely shitty form, because while I am okay the whole lift, then my lower back feels bit tingly for few hours.

If you hurt yourself on the leg extensions you need someone watching 24/7 to make sure you dont drown in puddles/sinks

>powerlifting
found the problem

>Dumbbells are good enough for me.
and better in literally every way than BB flat bench

I usually do a hamstring excercise before the deadlift. Like hamstrings curls just to activate the hamstrings and feel them. After I started doing this I always feel my hamstrings working more than my back. But feeling your back after DL isnt anything weird. But tingling sensantion isn't right. I used to have this problem. Lower weight, focus on bracing and activating hams

Go on then, give us all of these advantages of db over bb

good luck benching with two 50kg dumbells, faggot

Pretty much all the bodybuilders I know just use dumbells.

Why is dumbell bench so controversial on Veeky Forums?

yeah they are great for bodybuilding as you can do drop sets/super sets a lot easier, dont see how that makes them 'better in literally every way than BB flat bench'

I doubt they bench with two 50 kg db bro
drop sets are a meme tbqh
it's a tool, like a failure, that could make sense
but not for bench
for something like rear delts and all those little tiny fucking muscles which require a lot of volume and ain't afraid of anything
this would require a quite long post so take it or leave it, I just come back from the gym and I'm heading to bed

>drop sets are a meme tbqh

stopped reading there tbqh

I'll just relink the whole thing here, it has been discussed in different threads
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/28130627/
>suppversity.blogspot.com/2017/02/pyramid-training-drop-setting-both.html
have a read
you won't? your loss
'night

That picture is so stupid. The pictures with the red crosses are not "wrong way to lift", that's push press. That is how you are supposed to do push press. It's a different exercise than OHP.

I was doing chins and hurt my foot when I landed after I was done. You can get injured in the most ridiulous of ways, propper form and programming will prevent most.

That and also not being retarded.

No shit, Silly Sherlock.