Is training for "hypertrophy" a real thing? Do you essentially have fake muscles that are only for show when you do...

Is training for "hypertrophy" a real thing? Do you essentially have fake muscles that are only for show when you do? Like, they're just bloated and without any real density, strength or explosivity?

Other urls found in this thread:

docdro.id/vds9A30
docdro.id/cipUhzV
docdro.id/1mrzW34
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hypertrophy is for overall muscle development.

in contrast to strength, where the goal is to get strong at certain lifts, hypertrophy is at higher rep ranges, less weight and focusing on form. When you train hypertrophy, you want 10-12 reps 4-5 sets, focus on the muscle contractions and build that mind muscle connection.

For strength, you are better off training at higher intensities, about 5 reps or so on the main compound lifts, for 3-5 sets, as heavy as you can.

Strength is mostly neurological adaptation, as well as proper form. You don't need to be huge to lift heavy, you just need the muscles involved in that particular lift to be strong, the nervous system to be firing at the correct frequency (proper neural pathways need to be built).

That isn't to say bodybuilders can't be strong, or that powerlifters can't be muscular. However certain types of training are optimal depending on what results you are looking for.

Also roids will get you big and strong no matter what you do, so theres always that if you want a shortcut.

Yes training for hypertrophy is a thing, but just because you're main goal is size doesn't mean you aren't going to gain some strength in the process. You're still training your cns and muscles and will get stronger, just not at the same level as someone training specifically for strength.

Genuine hypertrophy, as in a measurable increase in the cross-sectional muscle fibers and not a sac full of injected oil, generally accompanies at least a marginal increase in the collective potential strength output. Denser type II fibers lower the chance of injury, and in some organized contact sports, having a higher muscle-based weight is necessary to avoid getting manhandled. Greater skeletal muscle weight on the bones, in moderation, can condition them to be less prone to breaking down with age

It's not equivalent to training that is specifically aimed at more explosive power or collective muscle fiber recruitment, but it has its uses.

Mileage may vary depending on how many sips you take

>Do you essentially have fake muscles
WHOA DUDE! Chill!

It's not fake muscle, but yes it's real

and that's why I call bodybuilders meat cows
Because that's essentially what they're doing, just becoming a show cow by getting bigger muscles so they can show it off.

I also call the aggressive bodybuilders puffer fish, because they're just puffing up by flexing.
I mean these guys can't walk up stairs without sweating and running out of oxygen.

They can't win any fights, they're so fucking weak they will lose to anyone and everyone in ANY sort of competition because most competitions are bodyweight based.

They do not train for performance, not skill training, not explosive training, not anything. They just want those ratios like the fags on movie screens.

This girl looks like how cat piss smells

(You)

>fake muscles
whooaa

holy fuck please be copypasta this is the most autistic thing i've read in years

You still become stronger. Just not at the same rate as strength training.

fuccboi bodybuilders spotted

And the award for dumbest post on Veeky Forums goes to......

This guy

>real density
density is density, what would "fake density" even be?
>strength
they are far stronger than an average guy.
>explosivity
explosiveness is genetic and you can't train for it all that much, no matter how many power cleans you do. It's the reason why nobody can noticeably improve their vertical jump, and why the vertical jump is such a good indicator of explosiveness. Yeah you may be able to add a few inches, but you won't go from an average vertical to a world class vertical, it's genetically impossible.

The biggest problem that bodybuilders have is that they don't do cardio or sprints. An NFL workout is basically a bodybuilding workout with more barbell exercises and way more running work.

I'm pretty sure a 6'6 bodybuilder is going to BTFO any small guy without problem.

Enjoy your 2D waifus

Partly. I'm weak as shit compared to some CBT posters, yet I look better.

If you think someone who trains their muscles for bodybuilding could beat anyone who trains their muscles for fighting in a fight

or anyone who trains their muscles for olympic lifting

or every other possible competition

then you're retarded. period.

You know what's the most hilarious thing about bodybuilders?
They say "I do it to see the best version of me"
That literally applies to EVERY FUCKING POSSIBLE SELF PROGRESSION. Which means it's not even a real reason. Bodybuilders do it because they're fucking pussies who want to be pretty. No different than bikini bitches. Oh wait.. female bodybuilders ARE bikini bitches. So.. same shit.

>I'm pretty sure a 6'6 bodybuilder is going to BTFO any small guy without problem.

Uh, no. Not really. a 6'6" bodybuilder will run out of oxygen if he goes above his walking pace within 20 seconds (and that's being generous). Has tight ass everything so they can't even attack properly.

what are you gonna do run in circles like a fairy until he gets tired? that's gay as fuck and if you wanna hit him you're gonna have to get close anyway

Your trolling getting weak son

>That post was not a copypasta
>It wasn't written in a ironic way

I feel sad for you

please be real

If you think anyone who trains their muscles for fighting can dodge my katana teleport move then youre the retarded one. nothing personnel kid

>That isn't to say bodybuilders can't be strong,
Yes, people talk about fake muscle, but pic related was a bodybuilder who won Mr. Olympia twice, in 1976 and 1981... he was still strong as fuck, nothing "fake" about those muscles

>bodybuilder gets hyped to fight
>starts huffing and puffing raising his heart rate flexing
>pushes the other guy because he's a retarded bodybuilder
>been 20 seconds, bodybuilder sweating and needs his 2 to 5 minute rest

Your a fucking idiot if you think muscle sways outcomes of fights. I do bodybuilding and also box and I could drop any powerlifter(fatfuck) in my gym. Muscles don't mean shit when your tossing hands. I stand by what I said earlier, your a fucking autist, also please show us a picture of your physique because I bet your a fucking 250 pound manlet who claims to """powerlift""" cause you cant fix your shitty eating habits.

>I do boxing and bodybuilding
>I can drop powerlifters
>never mentions he can't beat any boxers
lul

Listen kiddo, powerlifters can beat you at powerlifting.

Boxers can beat you at boxing.

You're just a show cow who hits the heavy bag or does average ass speed mits for 2 minutes and gets tired.
Next you'll brag about your shitty 2 round sparring sessions.

I honestly hope you're 100% serious so that some day you might realize how much of a moron you really are. Learning that will be the real self improvement.

Completely serious, most likely older than most of you, definitely smarter and wiser than all of you.

Lol bunch of puffer fish over here in this bucket.
(I'm referring to Veeky Forums as the bucket. (bucket means not the real world.))

Oh boy, we have a 1st class moron here

nope, you're not him. This must be a troll

>definitely smarter and wiser than all of you.
We have a enlightened fat fuck here guys

>Your a fucking idiot if you think muscle sways outcomes of fights.
Not him but what are weight classes?

obviously the fat fuck is right, if you guys cared about functional fitness you'd all just be runners

>Completely serious, most likely older than most of you, definitely smarter and wiser than all of you.
... after reading this I was about to say "whoa Dunning-Kruger strikes again" but then
>Lol bunch of puffer fish over here in this bucket.
>(I'm referring to Veeky Forums as the bucket. (bucket means not the real world.))
you're really, legitimately, completely, utterly autismal. Keep it up my friendo
10/10, bookmarked, would mire such autism again

It's hilarious how you think all bodybuilders are the size of arnold. I weigh 170 run 5.50 minute miles and I'm extremely flexible. I also love how your acting like powerlifters have anywhere near as much stamina as someone who bodybuilds. I've literally never seen a powerlifter do any form of cardio in my life usually its the bodybuilders that do cardio if they are cutting weight. Also stop avoiding showing a picture of your pudgy ass body fatso

>(or as I call it the douchehouse)

lmao most powerlifters just waddle toward the platform, squat and then can't move for 20 minutes

awww is the bb.com miscer mad?

Don't care, just the fact that you care about how big your biceps and tits are makes you useless in every single contact sport, every single martial art, every single performance based sport.. except maybe arm wrestling but that's gay as fuck.

ur gay as fuck nigga

>hypertrophy
it works, my muscles have got more bigger after i started training for hypertrophy

That's why I won state 2 times in highschool when I first started bodybuilding hahaha your a fucking joke and I really hope this is bait. Have fun beating your dick off while I'm getting pussy :^)

won state for wrestling *

god this post is filled with so much broscience bullshit. read a book on exercise science you fucking retard

there are 2 kinds of hypertrophy, sarcomeric (real muscle, real strenght, explosive bs) and sarcoplasmatic (the one u whine about)

dont know pple here, but im happy looking thin but when shirts go off... hold my beer my dear bitches.
anyways if you had nothing but small to middle weight to lift, do it as fast as u can that way u avoid sarcoplasmatic hypertrophy

I love these coping mechanisms dyels tell themselves. "If a guy is big, that means he's out of shape and lacks any sort of mobility, therefore I am actually more fit than the average gym-goer." That shit is no different than "I don't go to the gym, therefore I am smarter than everyone that does go to the gym."

This is absolutely pathetic. Kill yourself.

Nobody cares about winning state in wrestling unless you're in 2 states. Texas and Oklahoma.

Any answer you give here, you lose.
Also you were gay in highschool lul

this is absolutely bait

I won state wresting when I was in high school retard

So what do I do if I want bigger muscles? I've been doing stronglifts for about half a year now but I think it's more about strength training. I'd like to transition to something that would help me look good.

Who cares?

No, such crystal pure autism is pretty much entertaining. Are you trying to get someone mad on a manlet pit forum to escape from your meaningless life, my dear smarter, wiser and older chap? nice pic of your euphoric persona btw

hypertrophy will always be expression of some improvement in strength and or resistance, you can't just "fake it" (as a natty). HST ( Hypertrophy-Specific Training ) is a method to promote (as a natty) the greatest mass in the fastest possible way. If you're following an hypetrophy-driven routine (as a natty) you'll acquire either explosive strength or resistance. Other theories (not completely validated, but promoted by many coaches) further distinguish between sarcoplasmic and myofibrilllar hypertrophy. Sarcoplasmic hypetrophy would represent a great increment in size without a corresponding amount of strength (it would just be an increment in sarcoplasmic fluid). Myofibrillar hypertrophy would increase muscle size way less but it would be more "functional". As a matter of fact (as a natty) you can't really have one without another.
So no, no one, as a natty, can really have "fake muscles". There are trainings anyway which try to avoid as much as possible hypertrophy in order to get the biggest possible strength in the smallest size. Usually, this kind of training is preferred by fighters.

"rep ranges" don't really represent hypertrophy, or strength, or resistance, and you're getting the wrong "rep ranges" anyway.

you have to admit it's an enjoyable bait anyway

>SL for 6 months
time to change routine. If you've been consistent.

>most likely older than most of you, definitely smarter and wiser than all of you.
the motto of any idiot

>If you've been consistent.
I have, missed two workouts at most and I made sure to keep upping the weight as often as I could. I feel like I haven't progressed as far as I should have (mostly diet, I need more food) but I'm still at the point where I want to change things up now.

>i lift for functional strength

pick a more aesthetic-oriented routine. Assuming you're at least halfway between novice and intermediate on symstrength, GZCLP is a pretty malleable routine. I'd say it's too early for pre-made specific ones like PHAT and PHUL. Try to educate yourself as much as possible and prepare for your future routines. I'd recommend reading the relevant chapters in docdro.id/vds9A30 , docdro.id/cipUhzV and docdro.id/1mrzW34

>"rep ranges" don't really represent hypertrophy, or strength, or resistance, and you're getting the wrong "rep ranges" anyway.
What's the main difference between those different kinds of training then?

Thanks for the tips man

strength = more muscle fiber recruitment
hypertrophy = making muscles bigger
the more muscle fibers you use the bigger you're gonna get so body builders need strength to get bigger

Why the fuck does everyone leave out training frequency? 4x10-12 doesn't mean shit. Is this once a week or 5 days a week?

4x10-12 5 days a week would be excessive wouldn't it?

broscience is literally science bro. Its even in the word.

Also if you don't believe me, read arnolds encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding. Who gives a shit if its broscience. It works.

>this 2006 broscience

IMO you should hit every muscle group a minimum of twice a week( x2 ),

or

maximum three times a week ( x3 ). Less than that isn't optimal, and much more is difficult without overtraining.

its not broscience. he's telling the truth

Fell for the "explosiveness is genetic" rippetoe meme

Such unadulterated bollocks. Rip is no. 1 for squats and shit for literally everything else.

>double brackets
You're autistic

That book is design for roiders and I hope you know it.

training for hypertrophy is getting the maximum of your muscle fibers worked at the same time, that means doing more reps, slower reps, and you can't do lots of reps if you go too heavy, training for strength is also training for hypertrophy, but in a slower pace, its all about training specific muscles to work harder at higher weights
its the same with cardio, a guy that trains to run the 100m sprint won't be as efficient as a guy that trains to do 2000m sprint

It's a thing. And it aren't fake muscles, the muscle fibers gained by hypertrophy training are just specialized more on endurance rather than pure short-term strength output.

So you actually gain a performance increase together with bigger muscles, the performance increase just doesn't show in the form of a weight PR, but rather in the ability to lift the weights for more repetitions and shorter rest times.

Not him but screen capped and challenge accepted, see you in a year

Hypertrophy training exists if you're gearing hard. There's absolutely no point in training it natty, because that's suboptimal. Natties should always train for strength, not hypertrophy, aesthetics, etc.

I just want a girl on her knees to look at me like this

Give a quick rundown on the truth then..you FAGGOT!

if anything, fake muscles come from synthol use

BicepTear.jpg

Just to use the actual terminology, pic related shows the difference between training for pure strength and training for hypertrophy.

>I do bodybuilding and also box
>doing 2 things that work against each other
kek