Swimmer's Body

Why do swimmers look... "different" from other athletes? Kind of like a superior otter mode.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Au7YQS4d
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm guessing it's because moving your body through the water would work basically everything you have at the same time, since nothing's supporting you.

Regular upper body cardio

It doesn't differ from other athletes in any significant way. They might have slightly bigger lats than the median but that's about it. It's just that you see swimmers with only swimwear on, you associate that physique with them. Other athletes wear clothes, do can you even tell me what they look like naked? Pretty much the same as swimmers.

Incorrect. Fighters, boxers, wrestlers only wear shorts or tights and they're half as aesthetic as swimmers at best.

My guess is that the type of frame that makes for a good swimmer has more to do with it than swimming itself.

They look exactly the same as far as their physiques go, swimming just favours a certain height and limb proportions, which makes swimmers look different regardless of their muscles. Just stop cherry picking and accept that there's nothing magical about swimming.

Hyrdodynamics matters in swimming

>father was top tier swimmer in his day

If i were to pinpoint anything, it would be the swimming...the shit gets really intense

This

People often put the cart in front of the horse. Swimming doesn't make you look a type of way (beyond being lean with big lats) - the type of person who becomes successful as a swimmer (and thus sticks with it) has a certain bodytype

Same way that powerlifting doesn't give you a 'blocky' shape (the thickening of the obliques is almost negligible) - the people who are successful at powerlifting are disposed to being blocky

OP got absolutely BTFO'd lol

I disagree. But those digits are superb.

Most swimmers go to the gym as well. Anons get so anal about what sports are "good for aesthetics" but don't consider the vast majority of semi competitive athletes do gym work

Because of excellent cardio-vascular health. What you gain in swimming works a treat when you pick up any other sport or activity. It's also fantastic on your joints (low impact) and it's great to do on rest days as it stretches out your muscles ready for the week to come.

t. swimmer for ages

Any swimmers in here able to give information on a Starting Strength program/routine equivalent for swimming ('Starting Swim'?). Also, any suggestions for protecting the skin and hair against chlorine in pools? My appearance is important to me, and chlorine trashes skin and hair.

First of all chlorine doesn't do anything to your skin and hair, take a shower afterwards you moron.

Second, swimming workouts are usually broken in 3 parts: Warmup, where you do 200-800 m of continuous, low intensity swimming / Main set where you work your goal of the day, this is way to general to fit in one sentence, you can either work technique or go full lungs to jesus sprint work or a myriad of shit and the cooldown where you swim about 200-500 m slowly.

Granted this is a normie approach of swimming, competitive swimmers are so above mere mortals that you shouldn't bother yourself with what they do.

Guys I wanna get into swimming. What is the best stroke to use?

I have forgotten to do front crawl and don't wanna look like an autist flopping around in the water if i try it...is breaststroke okay or...?

Anything I should keep in mind as an asthmatic individual?

Keep your inhaler handy

Well, the first thing you need to realise is that you will never be good at swimming. I have realised this too. You need to start young to get the kinetic archetypes in your CNS. My 100m time is 1.15 and it doesn't get lower than this.

As an asthmatic individual you will probably get gassed out pretty quickly. Don't be dissapointed and stick to it. You WILL see fatass women swimming faster than you, you WILL see little girls leaving you 2 pools behind, just don't be dissapointed.

It does nothing. Doctors have failed me in every aspect.

I find the positions in swimming don't aggravate my asthma much, but allocating my breath to power without becoming too light-headed can be difficult.

>Don't be disappointed.

pastebin.com/Au7YQS4d

I want to get into swimming but can't cause when water hits my eyes I become a pussy and try to drown myself, is there anyway to get used to water being in your eyes?

Try and do that at least once when you are in the water and gradually you will start to get used to it and keep your eyes open for more and more time.At least thats what I did when I started swimming semi-seriously and I was the same as you.Now I dont even care about my eyes burning.I kinda like it desu.Or you know just buy goggles.

Buy goggles nerd.

Swim strokes should all be used, and none should be ignored, much like large muscle groups in lifting. Granted, the butterfly stroke is the most physically taxing and generally requires the most muscle activation, but unless you're competing in a stroke-specific event there's hardly a reason to favor one stroke over another, other than personal preference(I fucking hate backstroke so I do smaller sets of it or just stick to doing it during IM's).
The key is to use good form- that means using your full body in each stroke and good rhythm.

Thanks will try that.
I don't want to rely on them, plus what if water gets in, I might die

Been swimming since 6 years old
Just swim, you autist. The Upper Body gainz are mostly achieved with Butterfly and Crawl.

You can't completely get over that, you just learn to stay calm. Get googles, unless you want to bump into every obstacle. Literally all competitive swimmers rely on them.

I want to FUCK Nagisa!

everyone wants to

>tfw you own the big stuffed plush head

Get goggles and let water in, you'll be getting your eyes used to eater minus the wild splashing. Don't take my advice though, I literally can't swim. Literally.

Thank you for the link.
What about for lat development? Development of latissimus and trapezoid muscles are my focus.

I'm all about Haru to be honest

And they could kill every swimmer that slpashes in the pool.

If your lifting for grils kill yourself or learn a good art

TFW can't swim due to new piercing

If you'd swim regularly from early childhood; you would have broader shoulders than if you hadn't. Like the cunts with huge jaws cause they've eaten though food all their lives.
>In addition to the fact broad shouldered guys become the best swimmers.

>half as aesthetic
Are you kidding me, have you ever seen the top heavy weight fighters?

>older brother almost drowned me as a kid, didn't want to swim after that
>Grown now, would love to swim for gains, don't know how
How can I teach myself to swim? Youtube videos? Should I pay for classes?

How to get into swimming? I can swim in the sea, but I swim slowly because I get tired if I swim quickly. My cardio is shit and my swimming technique is probably shit too.

just buy some damn goggles how fucking stupid can you be