BCE

>BCE

>not dating from the founding of the city of the Rome.

>History professor uses BCE and CE.

>expecting everyone to implicitly recognize Jesus as Lord.

>changing traditions for no reason
>distancing ourselves from the past in one more way
As lovers of history you'd think we'd want to keep traditions alive.

But we must ask ourselves, what is time?

but Jesus was born between 6-4 BC, its a stupid tradition because it's spreading misinformation. Call it CE if you're going to pick an arbitrary date or push all our calendars and records back 5 years to be faithful to the past.

You don't have to acknowledge Jesus as lord to use BC and AD

>professor uses BCE/CE
>he sometimes instinctively says BC/AD and stops and "corrects" himself
Truly pathetic

>As lovers of history you'd think we'd want to keep traditions alive.
I don't necessarily disagree with this but treating this as absolute is silly and frankly ahistorical. Traditions evolve over time and often for good reason (such as the fact that increasingly few people recognize Jesus as Lord). One of the things history teaches is that much of human beings do is wrongheaded and triumphalist. Common era is sort of a PC whitewash of history. I prefer the term Christian era as an acknowledgement of what our calendar is factually based around (or is supposed to be, Jesus was born no later than 2 BCE is Luke's infancy account is at all accurate) without forcing one to make any metaphysical assent to doctrines one disbelieves in. In any event the whole CE thing is already several centuries old, it started with early modern Jews not postmodern salty atheists.

do you know what AD stands for?

Yes, Anno Domini means "in the year of our Lord" but it is just a way of dating, you don't have to believe Jesus is your lord to use it.

My mistake, it's "in the year of *the* Lord"

>uses BCE and CE
>"at what moment did eras change?"
>when Jesus was born, but I don't recognize him as Lord, just as a hugely important person that changed eras

It is possible to say things one doesn't believe but some prefer not to.

>BCE and CE are retarded let's just stick to what's become common usage
>replies with a literal disquisition
I don't like this website anymore

There are plenty of silly traditions that the jews ignore, it's pretty obvious that the efforts to replace BC/AD are specifically an attack on white identity. I'm not christian but so many of the titans of western culture were that I think we should keep their christian names for things to honor them

The fact that he was hugely important is an undeniable historical fact, him being Lord is a far different metaphysical claim. See above

>>"at what moment did eras change?"
>>when Jesus was born
but that's not true, it was a few years after that

Sure, but that doesn't mean I still won't call BCE/CE stupid and pointless.

I haven't looked into this, but I predict that it originated with Jews since it is
>patently academic in origin
>pedantically spiteful of christianity

Why shouldn't history be secular?
It makes no sense to judge random wars in China or South East Asia by the time some man in the middle-east was walking around.

Why don't we use QSA (Qin Shi Huang) instead of bc? Just x years before QSA and x years after QSA. Unless you want every nation using their own stupid term which just complicates shit up so it's best to use a secular term since the year of our lord does not apply very to well to Japanese or Aboriginal history and early settlement of the Americas by American Indians.

Or to

>thinks Christianity has anything to do with white identity
user I've got bad news for you

Maybe it's just that I'm not a native english speaker, because for instance in spanish it's distinguished as "before Christ" and "after Christ", which is indeed something that distinguishes that specific moment, I understand that using Anno Domini has intense religious connotations and fedoratippers usually shy away from it.

At what moment, then, did eras change? And wasn't the calendar made with the thought that year 0 was the year Jesus was born, despite archeological evidence supporting otherwise?

woops fucked that last bit up

Yes, but that's originally when Jesus was thought to have been born, and that was the consensus for quite sometime. It's become so common though that there's really not a point in changing it. It's not negatively effecting society.

>Why don't we use QSA (Qin Shi Huang) instead of bc? Just x years before QSA and x years after QSA
Because it has nothing to do with our culture and we aren't interested in pandering to foreign ones

This. The primary belief system of all white countries has nothing to do with white identity

Read the full post before replying, retard. Yeah whites aren't religious anymore but our modern civilization was largely built on christian values by christians and it's important to remember that

you have complete freedom to call it whatever you want but some people take religion seriously.
is there literally anyway a non-Christian can speak honestly that you people wouldn't call spiteful? Stop being a snowflake.

Makes me laugh how many times I've seen this happen in class.
Still has the gumption to deduct points for it on papers when it means the exact same shit.

Whoopsies, meant the gall.

Pro-tip, there's no such thing as white identity or Christian values.

Is there anything more contemptible than a sinoboo?

try dating your papers Anno Hegira

Calling Jesus"Christ" also has religious connotations since Christ = Messiah.

You're misunderstanding.
He's saying that Christianity isn't white. Hence, why it has nothing to do with white identity. The pagan religions that whites actually embraced were supplanted via forced conversion by a semitic religion.

Except that's fucking retarded. It's like saying Buddhism isn't a part of japanese identity just because it started in India.

>is there literally anyway a non-Christian can speak honestly that you people wouldn't call spiteful? Stop being a snowflake.
This response proves it.

Here's a quick search on google
>The expression has been traced back to 1615, when it first appeared in a book by Johannes Kepler as the Latin usage vulgaris aerae,[5][6] and to 1635 in English as "Vulgar Era".[b] The term "Common Era" can be found in English as early as 1708,[7] and became more widely used in the mid-19th century by Jewish academics.

We live in a multicultural society and we make the best of it when we are accepting. Hence why we live in secular governments and allow natives on our land to practice their own cultural beliefs and speak their own language, since pushing Christian terms onto history is backward thinking. We don't push religion onto school children so why is it okay to push it onto collage children or people who may be immigrants learning in our great country?

so it started with a Lutheran?

Pretty sure there was supposed to be a comma somewhere

Except the Japanese are a unified ethnic group/nation as opposed to a hodgepodge of different peoples who have been killing each other non-stop the fall of Rome but happen to share a skintone and some vaguely similar religious traditions.

I meant collage people not collage children. Some may act like children but you get my point

I think there's a case to be made for it not being Japanese in origin, and therefore not Japanese. Granted, I'm really biased, because I find the great religions to be really boring. Their theology is weighty and boring where the local legends they tried to wipe out were often much more interesting - probably why they survived, really.
It's all about understanding your own retarded standards and the retarded standards of others. Can something be adopted and truly made into its own? I think most people would say "yeah." But purists are purists, and arguing with them is pretty much a waste of time.

What a pussy.

Yep, I was wrong. it was only popularized by Jews.

Keeping common usage is not "pushing." And I don't give a damn about your received multicultural ideals.I'd rather have a nation than gape at a rising GDP.

in order for BC/AD to come about someone had to push out the prior common usage.

This. Rome is love, Rome is life.

That doesn't imply we ought to.

>And I don't give a damn about your received multicultural ideals
as opposed to the nationalist ideals you totally made up and arrived at on your own?
If you wanna be poor and white somewhere go start a whites only commune in Idaho with Dicky Spencer and all your identity cuck friends. The rest of us will be happy to get rid of you, including those among us who take Christianity and realize that one of the messages of the Gospel is the irrelevancy of ethnic identity.

It's a form of non secularism and as such should be removed, especially in such a thing as important as Education It's why public schools don't teach the bible since there's millions of non Christians in our society and too push these religious terms onto them is wrong.

We're not talking about your Grandmothers old books or something we're talking about Education a highly important thing that best works when secular. It also is very unaccepting of other cultures, what if you had to refer to bc as The year of Muhammad and After Muhammad's death. As a Christian Armenian or Greek. You wouldn't like it very much

>as opposed to the nationalist ideals you totally made up and arrived at on your own?
Precisely. Imagine my contentment on learning that others had gone the same way.
>The rest of us will be happy to get rid of you
Now that we've built the country, sure. I wonder how long you imbeciles will be able to maintain it.

I honestly don't think you know anything about Europe or Japan.

>sisterfucking country bumpkin thinks he's responsible for building up western society

LMFAOOOOOOOOO

Do you get upset that the days of the week are named after Norse gods?

>Tiw's Day, Thunor's Day
fine
>Janus' Month, Mars' Month
fine
>Before Christ, Year of Our Lord
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHAT THE FUCK HOW ARE WE ALLOWING A RELIGIOUS REFERENCE IN OUR CALENDAR??????????

>It's a form of non secularism
That's reaching. It's mere common usage at this point
>g we're talking about Education a highly important thing
The average person lecturing us on the "BC/AD" problem can't tell me whether Jefferson's thought had more to do with Sidney or Rousseau. Nearly all of you treating education like some sacred cow couldn't muster up much more knowledge than a high school janitor, if put to the task.
>s The year of Muhammad and After Muhammad's death. As a Christian Armenian or Greek. You wouldn't like it very much
But I am not one and I invite anyone who wants a share of the benefits bestowed by Protestant work ethic to quit puling or simply stay at home.

>we're talking about Education a highly important thing that best works when secular.
That's not true though. Private christian schools outperform secular ones

>country bumpkin thinks he's responsible for building up western society
He probably is

>No, since you don't have to refer to them as that to be correct

No, since you don't have to refer to them as that to be correct since many other cultures obviously have different terms for different days of the week and that's simply the cultural understanding of that society .

If you don't use BCE and CE then unless someone can write during the year of Muhammad and after Muhammad 's death then education is not secular and Christian society is unfairly pushing itself onto education.

fucked up the formatting again. Fucks sake

>That's reaching. It's mere common usage at this point
See my point
>The average person lecturing us on the "BC/AD" problem can't tell me whether Jefferson's thought had more to do with Sidney or Rousseau. Nearly all of you treating education like some sacred cow couldn't muster up much more knowledge than a high school janitor, if put to the task.
And? Muh tradition muh Jebus

>That's not true though. Private christian schools outperform secular ones
Only due to better funding since you have to pay to go those and the state ones have to get whatever bomb money dosn't get spent. I bet a private upper class secular school would out preform any lower class free christian school

>I bet a private upper class secular school would
Homeschoolers taught by their unqualified parents literally outperform you.

Correct, different cultures have different meanings and different names for the days of the week

I assume your talking about America. Non-christians came to the country willingly, except for slaves and Indians and they converted. If I move to Saudi Arabia then I would use the Islamic calendar because that is the custom of the country. I live in Japan and I use the Japanese imperial calendar all the time. When you immigrate to a another country you have to adapt to its culture. It has always been this way.

>And?
And you're crying about the sacredness of education but are not even competent to vote.

You forgot July and August. I mean Caesar was deified which let Augustus call himself the son of god

>Homeschoolers taught by their unqualified parents literally outperform you.
Yeah because state schools are fucking shit. Like I said a secular private school with a one hundred thousand dollar entry free would out preform any education a bunch of old fucking nuns in a run down drug fueled community in a leaky shack with no power or technology could ever teach

So your solution is to take a system centered on Christ and rename it to pretend it isn't lmao

>year of Muhammad and after Muhammad 's death
You do realize that Jesus is a prophet in Islam? All you're doing is making yourself look bad

>Like I said a secular private school with a one hundred thousand dollar entry free would out preform any education a bunch of old fucking nuns in a run down
Why should I believe this?

Lets just get rid of the English language then since some of it comes from the Greeks and they killed people and did wars. Hurr Durr. This is your brain on strawman arguements

Actually make some arguments as to why it should be bc instead of bce instead of changing the goalposts to muh days of the week.

Read the rest of the post numbnut, also Muslims refute that Jesus was actually the last messiah and they refute a bunch more of his stuff. Like his crucifixion for one

How they explain the sudden change between BCE and CE? BC and AD just make more sense to me.

>we should get rid of the name of this since it is religious
>but keep a religious figure's birth as our reference point
you're just dumb

nice goalpost moving

I haven't seen any arguments apart from MUH TRADITIONS. We live in a secular society and the only reason your keeping it is for two reasons
1) Muh tradition, muh western culture fucking (((Jewish marxists)))
2)Christian

Do I really have to spell it out? You are not getting rid of the religious association. You are merely changing a name from butthurt. By all means, do it. I love to see you exert yourselves over trivial stuff like this and further alienate the general public.

They don't. In fact most people I know still use BC and AD. There are some people who attempt to use BCE and CE but they tend to still use BC and AD.

Yeah those Catholic run schools in Africa are way better then private secular schools in the first world.

I mean I'll rather go to a African christian school without any power or basic work sheets and you have to walk two hours to get over there. Rather then a middle-upperclass school in the US.

Ultimate brainlet

>Yeah those Catholic run schools in Africa are way better then private secular schools in the first world.
This is desperate stuff. Show me that your secular schools would be superior to our religious ones on average, since that is what you were saying.

Your dates still revolve around Jesus, retard. You can use whatever letters you want, but it still isn't a secular calendar and everyone knows it.

>ou are not getting rid of the religious association.
Yes you are, it goes from Before Christ to before common ere. That sure looks like the removal religious association to me, considering the official expanded version of one of them is in the year of our lord.

Also if it has no religious association then what's the problem with changing it then to a more secular one? We're already using it and like shown with it's creation many Jews and non Christian preferred to use it over the older one so it does have some retention of religious connection to it.

I actually understand why people are upset by this. It's dumb to just change some names around but keep the underlying dating system. I propose going back to the old AUC calender or creating a new calendar with the moon landing as the start date.

Well you show me where a Christian private school out preforms a private secular school on average taking into account socioeconomic factors. Also in case you're brainlet comes out again I want private secular not public since the public sector is fucking shit.

These private schools get more funding since they can make a profit ,can hire more qualified people, get people from higher up so their children are more behaved, they can expel troublesome children unlike public schools who have a much harder time and can even administrator physical punishment in some cases which keeps more children acting good which equals better educated children. The inclusion of a class on Jesus wouldn't help turn a shit school into a 10/10 school or a 10/10 school into a 11/10 one.

I'm going to ignore the guy replying to you and say you don't.

It's not necessarily wrong I don't believe in magical sky men but I have no issue with the Latin for "year of our lord (christian era): shit it just rolls of the tongue out loud.

Anno Domini.

We just need to Latin work the other one so we can all be talking about a purely figurative abstract lord who everyone isn't really sure it is just because mob rule picked a certain ((someone)) down the line.

Yea but until recently (wonder why) no one re adopted it because suddenly it became "popular" again...

>christians burned the library of alexandria.
Yeah, why are we honoring a group of crazed fanatics?

>adhering to a classical tradition seeped in history and meaning, unbroken for over 1,500 years
>this is the same as being a protestant or something
Are you fucking retarded user?
I think you should go back to ribbit, that seems to be more your speed.
B.C. is a cornorstone of the historical tradition, it's simply good etiquette and demonstrates a reverence for history within the Western tradition.
Why the fuck would anyone want to learn from a belligerent retard who changes a basic detail because "muh speshal sekoolarizm"

I never asserted it would. You made the assertion here.

Anyone who believes in universal suffrage needs to read this board

>all these christfags butthurt

Cope

Nice argument.
The age of the country at war is over and had nothing to do with cultural differences within Japan

muh domini

Thinks there’s a western tradition when in reality it’s just homo Spartans making alliances with the Persians or barbarian goths larping as romans. There wasn’t ever a western tradition, just a lot of Roman ass kissing and renassisance talk of homer. Literally just a mesh of cultures and histories fighting for power. Shit europoors chimped out on each TWICE in the last century. Go talk about your flimsy traditions somewhere else.

I think we should use BC and AC (After Christ) because they're objectively the most correct

It's not after Christ, though. He was alive until 33 AD.

After Death

I vouch for something similar, AC Ante Christum to comply with latin Anno Domini. But that often feels pretentious as hell, since it's use is outmoded, and the existence of Anno Christi makes it even more complicated.