just end it

>tfw probably won’t get to vote for a Duckworth/McRaven 2020 ticket

>choco-chip camouflage
Absolutely delicious

>in the army
>fat as fuck

>never in battle
>should be expected to be as fit as 20 and 30 year old ground troops

Not going all the way and blowing up Saddam with a cruise missile when they had the chance.

Actually, both Powell and Schwarzkopf were awarded Purple Hearts for their service in Vietnam. Schwarzkopf's quick thinking and wrestler phyisque in particular was commended for saving the lives of several men in a minefield.

Yeah, like 25 years before that picture was taken. Not when they were flag officers

True

No televised surrender from Hussein allowed Hussein to retain what he had militarily, declare to his people that they won the war and chased out the Crusaders, and kill kurds.

Huge mistake.

Because the destabilization of Iraq after we took him out of power in the Iraq war was a good thing? Brainlets everywhere.

>implying that wasn't inevitable and that leaving Saddam in power was merely forestalling it

Even though Schwarzkopf did everything great, he had many advantages, for example:
1. it's a fucking desert
2. air supremacy
3. technological supremacy
4. fighting Arabs

Outcome was never in question. He's just a good officer and he didn't make any mistakes.

Do you understand the significance of Tojo signing an unconditional surrender aboard our battleship, on television?

No, of course you don't.

>fighting Arabs

That was probably his greatest advantage.

Schwarzkopf himself once said that if the two sides had switched equipment, the Americans still would've beaten the Iraqis.

They were smart enough to set up for success. One 4 star general in theater; one 3 star, one 2 star, one 1 star. No conflict in command.

The thing they did that people don't really recall, and don't know how crucial it was, was to stage 3rd FMF off in ships, and practice amphibious landings.

That took all of Saddam's resources to block the shoreline, leaving the left hook and the southern border virtually free. Just a few minefields.

And yes, I was there, and yes, I saw Saddam's troops after they surrendered kill kurds. For weeks.

That is unforgivable in my opinion.

Of course he would say that, retardo

>tfw we will NEVER get a kino Stormin Norman biopic starring James Gandolfini

>6'3 bear mode
>implying he wouldnt beat the shit out of you

Well the performance of the Iraqis themselves backs up his claim. The overwhelming majority of them (with exception of the Republican Guard to an extent) surrendered en masse or fled back into the interior of Iraq rather than stand and fight. it's safe to say morale and Saddam's poor strategizing was the single-biggest factor in the lopsided victory. The technological advantage simple increased the kill ratio.

Our 500 man battalion took 3,500 EPWs. They couldn't wait to surrender. Some waited until our unit woke up in the morning to walk in and surrender.

Just realized he's a lefty.

Also, two watches.

Tell us Gulf War stories old man.

They're both lefties actually.

I got a gold watch just like that. Let me see if I can find it.

>two watches
Why? One for Iraq time, one for Washington time?

one in civilian time one in military time, duh

Didnt he called the CIA "faggy" or something?

We were kicking them out of Kuwait, not taking Iraq numb nuts. I think this picture sums up how much of an ass-whopping Saddam was given.

bump

>deep state war mongers

no ty

>that guncam video from a flight of cobras launching missile after missile

>Kurds live in north iraq
>Americans advanced from the south

You guys never reached kurdish territory liar

You honestly think a four star general would need two watches for that?

Link, please.

why didn't either of them get that fifth star

Because WW3 hadn't happened yet.

>I watched them massacre Kurds for weeks and did nothing even though they're my enemy??
Kurds deserve to get genocided along with their Judeo-American puppeteers.

Forrest, are you a veteran? Not trying to pass judgment or anything, just genuinely curious.

Did I miss it? When did it happen??

??? Nani the fuck???

DO IT AGAIN I WASNT LOOKING!

No I am not. I ain't inclined to become one either, seeing as I have no confidence the government and do not believe in the righteousness any of the wars we're currently in/will be waging in the foreseeable future.

Fair enough. Like I said, just curious.

Don't give him attention, he's an attention-starved idiot.

5 stars havevent been awarded since ww2 and probably will never happen again. I think MacArthur lobbied to get himself a 6th star but Congress(?) never voted or approved it

one is a trophy taken from corpse of the enemy as he was installing starts and stripes flag on top of iraqi presidental palace

Are those Delta in the civilian clothes?

yep

Is that tea they're drinking?

yep

bump

Deploying 500000 troops when they could have done the job with a third of that number due to absolute air supremacy and technological superiority. And the fact that the theater of operations is a fucking plain desert, nowhere to hide your equipment or take cover from air bombing.

Americans, shittest generals ever.

Also, Japan, the Saudis and Germany paid most of the bill and the 3 meals a day for all the dumb amerilards.

>Whopping Saddams ass
>massacring civilians and troops out of combat
Big stronk amerika

PASGT and BDUs were objectively the best era of U.S. military uniforms. Change my mind.

> Find a flaw.

Colin Powell never ran for President with Schwarzkopf as his Sec.of State.

>Because the destabilization of Iraq after we took him out of power in the Iraq war was a good thing?

It was good for Israel's security, as it eliminated Saddam as a conventional threat while pitching Iraq into a civil war, all of which was the reason for the war in the first place.

Vietnam era tigerstripes.

>killing troops out of combat
What the fuck am I reading? That's literally every operation of air power that isn't CAS.

That's a really cool picture, love how they used airborne and France's elite light infantry to cut off an avenue and secure the airfields, and then used armor to smash and roll them up from the south.

And your Israel shit has nothing to do with Operation Desert Storm. And besides, after the Iran-Iraq War and Desert Storm, Saddam was in no position of power.

It was arguably the third most potent land army after the Iran-Iraq War second to the U.S. and Russia, and our casualty estimates were severe. Thank God they were just so damn incompetent.

bump

>Disgruntled by the treatment of Vietnam veterans in the United States after the war, Schwarzkopf considered leaving the military, but ultimately decided to stay, hoping to fix some of the problems encountered by the military during the war.

He was a crusader, from what I heard from the old salt dogs when I was still in the military, the early to mid 90s, despite being mostly in peacetime, was one hell of a time to be in the military. The type of technological advancement was just mindblowing, you had guys still in that were brought up on good old fashioned map and compasses to get around being trained to use fucking GPS to move, shoot and communicate, use fucking LASER guided missiles like in scifi movies and fucking minigun turrets that can shoot incoming missiles out of the fucking sky. It must've been incredible to witness, I bet those guys felt absolutely invincible.

Figured so. Can't get alcohol in Saudi Arabia unless you're a member of the royal family.

He's a mega faggot larping baby boomer from /pol/. He posting "resistance" photo's but all he does is chug mountain dew and masturbate to documentaries about the battle of bull run

>baby boomer

You're about 40 years off

>mountain dew

I'd rather drink piss water than Mountain Jew

Did the airborne even see any actual combat or did the Iraqis disintegrate before they could be engaged?

It seems the armored divisions got most of the glory. Hell, the Marines barely saw any action even though they had what was probably the most critical task, liberating Kuwait City.

On the ground? No, they captured the highway and airfield, moved a FOB hundreds of miles in a day, and took thousands of PoWs. Desert Storm was a war of only around 100 hours.

Their gunships did some killing, though.

How about you take a step back and literally fuck yourself in the face.

The 1991 uprisings in Iraq were a series of popular rebellions in northern and southern Iraq in March and April 1991 in a cease fire of the Persian Gulf War. The mostly uncoordinated insurgency, often referred to as the Sha'aban Intifada among Arabs and as the National Uprising among Kurds, was fueled by the perception that then Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was responsible for systemic social repression and had become vulnerable to regime change.

Google "Road to hell Kuwait City".

Yes, you absolute mong, it would have been.

>Dumbest comment ever.

What the fuck do you people do on a history board when you have no idea how history is made? Just shit in your hands and eat it?

Desert Shield/Storm wasn't history?

Didn't the Air Force do most of that?

PRO-TIP: I CAN'T

I fucking love transitional gear clusterfucks.

> Did the airborne even see any actual combat or did the Iraqis disintegrate before they could be engaged?

No doubt they did, here and there but the point of the 101st and 82nd wasn’t direct combat, it was to block the Iraqis from moving any forces south.

The 101st captured a landing zone while the 82nd were truck motorized and moved in to reinforce it.

> Hell, the Marines barely saw any action even though they had what was probably the most critical task, liberating Kuwait City.

The purpose of the Marines was to hold the Iraqis in Kuwait, so that the Army could pull off the left hook and trap them.

The Marines even practiced amphibious landings on the coast of Saudi Arabia, to sucker Saddam into thinking they were going to storm the Kuwaiti beaches in Iwo Jima style, resulting in him moving his troops far forward and holding them there, as he thought the left hook maneuver by the Army was a feint.

>And your Israel shit has nothing to do with Operation Desert Storm.

Saddam was the leader of the Arab world and his influence was growing, not only by threatening Israel (see; Project Babylon and Osirak nuclear reactor, etc.) but also when he started strong-arming Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the other rich and decadent Gulf States to write-off the loans they had given Iraq during the Iran-Iraq War, (1980-88) where he “protected the Sunni Arabs from the scourge of the Shia Persian heretics in Iran”.

Israel’s security meant that Saddam had to be taken down and so Israel did what it usually does; get the Americans to do the fighting and pay for the whole thing.

Unfortunately for Israel back then, the U.S. still had one testicle left and Bush stopped short of an invasion of Iraq to overthrow Saddam, hoping the Iraqis (and Israeli agents) would kick off a civil war and do it themselves.

And we all what happened later when Dubya got in office…

Relevant for thread

youtube.com/watch?v=wKi3NwLFkX4

Stormin Norman's debriefing is pretty interesting even if it was cut for an audience of reporters and media. I'm pretty sure there will never be another one of these broadcasted because people would consider it too boring to be news.

>The Marines even practiced amphibious landings on the coast of Saudi Arabia, to sucker Saddam into thinking they were going to storm the Kuwaiti beaches in Iwo Jima style, resulting in him moving his troops far forward and holding them there, as he thought the left hook maneuver by the Army was a feint.

Was there any contingency to have the Marines actually perform an amphibious assault on the Kuwaiti coast if US forces were unable to break through Iraqi defenses on the border?

That was easy.

He just can’t keep getting away with it!

How does your own shit taste? Good?

For some odd reason I thought the post said air force, not airborne. Yes.

First to arrive in country: all woodland.
Next crew: desert cammies, woodland helmets and flak jackets, black boots.
Next crew: desert cammies, desert helmets, woodland flak jackets, desert boots.
After it ended: desert everything, woodland flack jackets.

Guy's probably 20 something and looks like a fucking nerd.

A nerd that could kick your ass in hand to hand combat or snap your neck silently with a single move.

I'm still not seeing your retarded point of view. Maybe you can slam your head in a car door a few times and report back.

>I used to break pencils, now i break necks

It's so much worse given that he seems to be the only person from the W. administration that recognizes how badly he fucked up.

>fucked up

It was all part of the plan senpai.

3rd Armored actually fought entirely dressed in woodland camo because the division didn't have enough uniforms on hand so they decided that uniformity was better than having everyone run around in mixed camos. Makes wish the brass that done the same thing during Iraqi Freedom. Troops would looked a lot more badass for the cameras if they had gone in wearing all woodland rather than wearing desert helmets which were a fucking eyesore (and obvious sign that the invasion force went in half-cocked) on top of being fucking useless.

THIS THIS THIS
military officers should be the only ones to hold government office.

the 90s US military was the most aesthetic army known to man. its simple fact.

steve albini

That's Sergeant Major Michael Vining, he enlisted in the Army in 1968, was one of the first men invited to join Delta Force, and was already a veteran of Vietnam, Iran, Grenada, and Panama by the time of the Gulf War

Fully agree. Even the chair force looked badass.

Well that would be handy.

Dad was in the 1st Infantry Division during Desert Storm
said he saw some shit in "the biggest tank battle ever", does anyone know which he is specifically talking about?

Battle of 73 Easting probably. Medina Ridge is another one, but I don't think 1st Infantry was present for it.