Is lifting mentally unhealthy?

Lifting culture is obsessed with running away from something. It is centered around insecurity, from phrases like "she squats more than you bro" to "don't be a normie, do your squats and oats" to "girls only fuck zyzz/Jeff seid men".

The people biggest into lifting tend to be ex-fatties, nerds who got bullied in high school, or washed up athletes who need to "rebrand" themselves and can deep down never move on from their peak years as the star of their small town high school football team.

You really don't *need* to lift heavy to be cardiovascularly healthy long-term, which is what really is the only thing that matters. desu by cutting out red meat, processed food and the typical amerifat diet coupled with walking daily like in Europe will net you all the results you need for a healthy long life.

Should this board be shut down?

what a fucking slowpoke you are, this board is about steroids, manlet shaming, feels and pointless arguments.

feel free to leave and never come back

Squats make you shorter so yes it does

>its wrong for people to better themselves and get on with their lives
>everyone should stay in the past and keep thinking about how they can move on but not act on it

wow OP, you sure do sound like a faggot

Your perspective comes from an insecure, rigid place.

Lifting is just a thing you do to strengthen your body. There is nothing mentally unhealthy about improving yourself unless you have some sort of mental issue that you use lifting to cover up for.

>"she squats more than you bro" to "don't be a normie, do your squats and oats" to "girls only fuck zyzz/Jeff seid men".

This also only happens on autistic places of the internet. It's just retarded nonsense, you don't have to squat, deadlift or bench press if you don't want to. There's many other options.

The people who take lifting culture on as an identity were already mentally unhealthy.

>wanting to live a long life
have not been on earth very long?

is there one exception to taking up crossfit?
you will never have another opportunity to be at the center of a group hug by sweaty musclefu teamates

delet

OP, you're coming off as rather insecure.I'd be willing to bet that you're probably scrawny and have never benched your own body weight. Stop using your weakness and shitty lifting experiences as validation to promote this discouraging anti lifting nonsense.

I have no comment on OPs question.

Just wanted to say that the girl in the orange top is named Thorisdottir, and I wouldn't mind mixing my seed with her Asguardian genes.

i just lift because i like being strong and it makes me feel good. grills and mires are just a bonus

stop projecting

>lifting culture

Found your problem OP. Since when is the culture ever indicative of the act?

Lifting is not mentally unhealthy, but gymcelling is

Lifting culture is a thing and it is very pervasive. Go on Instagram, any YouTube personality, or any marketing campaign for a supplement brand and see for yourself. Stringer tanks should not be a thing. mirrors in gyms shouldn't be a thing. thanks to shit like this you now have armies of 18-25 year old yoked autists who have shit cardio and still can't talk to women.

Every bodybuilding competition is filled with cringe. Powerlifters get out of breath waddling to their deadlift platforms. Crossfit women inject themselves with anavar because daddy wanted a son and they will never feel his paternal love. Crossfit men will never get over being cut from D3 football.

Lifting culture, barring actual athletic programs for actual athletes, as it manifests itself now is just a safe space for social rejects. Just like Veeky Forums. Just like Tumblr.

Lol @ Americans trying to fitness.

Butthurt in this thread is glorious

>The people biggest into lifting tend to be ex-fatties, nerds who got bullied in high school, or washed up athletes who need to "rebrand" themselves and can deep down never move on from their peak years as the star of their small town high school football team.

>rock climbing is just a way to "rebrand" yourself
>playing community sports is just a way to "rebrand" yourself
>learning an instrument is just a way to "rebrand" yourself
>trying to improve your career through uni is just a way to "rebrand" yourself
Seriously your logic is retarded. How is wanting change and improvement a mental illness? You want people to just sit around and wallow in either regret or nostalgia all day?

You're wrong, but I feel like a lot of people who take the gym/fitness life super seriously have some type of insecurity/personal issues that they want to get rid of, and use the fitness lifestyle as a means of fixing their problems.

That was worded awkwardly, what I'm trying to say is, a lot of people seem to use the gym as a way of covering up their personal problems, rather than facing their problems head on.

The gym itself isn't bad though, but it can be a vice for people who don't know any other way to deal with their personal struggles.

Everything in life works the way you described retard, are 14 or something

i started playing guitar to impress girls, but after a few years i really enjoy it on its own. Is playing an instrument a mental illness OP?? Should I stop? send help!

this dude gets it

Tbh I'd have kids with all 5 of the people in OP pic

>mirrors in gym are a bad thing

Bet you have great form kiddo

>injecting anavar

And you've reveleaed you don't have a fucking clue and just parrot what you read on the interwebz. Much more toxic than what you're hating on here

lol u mad

Holy fuck someone posted my oc. I drew that ages ago didn't think I'd see it again. Here the next one

What i always found funny is that a lot of people think lifting is healthy. I'm not saying the act is bad for you, but the culture is horrible. Drinking a whole bunch of stimulants to allow your body to work out harder. Injecting steroids to help you not stop. Eating meals that have a good macro profile over foods that are filled with vitamins and minerals. Cutting down to unhealthy levels of body fat. Not to mention that you have to be constantly unhappy with your self image/worth to keep going. If you were ever happy with yourself, it would be ok to just maintain. You would start skipping days. So you stay in a constant state of I'm not good enough, and are constantly improving becuase of it.

Somedays i wish body positivity was real, and i could just be happy with what i see in the mirror. But it's not, I'm not, and it's leg day.

delet this

you are confusing lifting culture with Veeky Forums

Some, not all, use their insecurity to do great things and overcome themselves. If this board reflects that, you want it shut down because it houses mountains of shit despite a few diamonds along the way?

>OP

The insecure one is you, because you feel a need to belittle people stronger and better than you in every way.

>had body dysmorphia (had to move back in with my parents because I struggled to even turn on the lights)
>joined gym
>still got BDD but I now feel like part of me looks objectively GOOD, whilst all my other features are subjective

It helped me majorly, but I'd say it was only 25% of the journey. If anyone wants any advice, AMA.

are you okay? i think you need help

these pictures are an expression of pure MOG

more healthy than video games, drugs, alcohol or any other means of running away from your problems

lifting INTERNET culture is unhealthy. IRL lifting is fine, you just lift hard, get nice endorphin rushes and think you look better every month because you don't realize you're weak as fuck and look like shit.

On the internet you see the best of the best fitness guys on every thread, in every discussion.

but in the end whos to say whats better for you?

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Lots of reasons. But the best one is
>injecting anavar
Lmfao famalam

What a funny kitty.

Go to the local powerlifting/hardcore gym in your area. Tell me with a straight face the people there are mentally healthy and well adjusted to the rest of society. Tell me the 19 year old boys who don't know any better posting progress pictures of themselves in their underwear (barely) on the internet is normal while mentally ill-gays fap and encourage this behavior.

Lol at everyone's nerve's being struck by this thread. No matter how much you diddle yourselves about deadlifts and scooby you will never know what it feels to have a balanced lifestyle.

You are the sad little nerds who got shat on by Stacy and no amount of bullshit supplements and "aesthetics" will change that. No amount of "not gonna make it's" will cure your fear of your latent homosexuality.

for the body, but what about mental?

I could never comprehend the idea of being sad because of someone else. i mean it is justifiable when somebody close to you goes away, or dies, but why the fuck would you keep your happiness hostage to a "qt" girl who doesn't give a fuck ? If you want her, just do normal conversation thing until you convince her that you're not autistic, and then you'' probably be happy. Will you be happy then ? To what end ? maybe your qt f will cheat on you, maybe you'll stop liking her, maybe she'll get fat or maybe you'd start liking some other girl and cheat. Getting hurt in some form is inevitable. Why not just do your thing ? Want a gf ? Get a gf. First step to happiness is being content with your life and knowing what you want. I know I don't want a gf , and if i got one I can't cheat on handle being cheated on, and I definitely don't want to hurt a girl by telling her I don't love her anymore. Basically just BEE yourself

>not all Muslims tier

Gtfo

>why the fuck would you keep your happiness hostage to a "qt" girl who doesn't give a fuck ?

Because the mentally-ill people who identify themselves with this shit never had anyone to teach them any real life lessons so they do low bar back squats and drink gallons of milk and wallow in self-hatred, body-dysmorphia and homosexuality instead of Going Outside.

>lifting culture
k

People at my gym are mentally healthy and well adjusted,lifting isn't a cure for everything but damn is it great.

>it can't be me and my peers
>it's never US, it's always THEM

me on the right

who are you quoting

what the hell is lifting culture