Premed / med student Veeky Forums

2nd year undergrad student here looking to go to medschool was wondering if any of u med school bois could give some advice for a faggot young one like me
what did you do/ currently doing to get into med school
what were your ecs/gpa/sgpa
mcat advice
have you considered hpsp
what is your alternate plan if medical school does not pan out
gl with it all bois if youre in this path currently

how much more should i be able to rackpull over deadlift

> Humblebrag post

Starting at "a school in Cambridge" in the fall. Mcat start studying now, block off 5 hrs a day for the first month or two and then maintain at 2h/day.

Gpa 3.8 with an ad hoc major of biophysics (northwestern university) and second major of chemistry

ECs I did some stuff about teaching health to inner city kids (Google peer health exchange) and some other stuff with general club leadership.

I started a blog about public health issues of our time and traveled to those places (Cuba, Madagascar) to take photos and interview people relevant

Rack pulls are useless

Premed senior. For ec's I'm an emt, volunteer at an old folks home, and play cello. Gonna try to squeeze in some research. 3.6 cum idk sci. For the mcat don't wait till the last 30 days to study like I did. My alternative plan is killing myself. Also why post this on Veeky Forums

sick congrats
what was your mcat and how many letters of rec did you get

not fit-related

fuck off and take your premed shit with you

>My alternative plan is killing myself.
fuck man same cause i am scared if this shit doesnt pan out which is why i was asking about other peoples experiences

2 letters of rec it's quality over quantity one was from my advisor and one was from a teacher who taught a class in the school of education and social policy because I wrote a paper about the importance of cultural studies and anthropology in epidemiology and public health

517 I studied probably 1000 total hours for that though

Tbh read the book grit and then everything becomes autopilot easy

I didn't read that book, but from my experience reading those kinds of books, reading the shortened versions gives you all the useful info without all of the over-long stories.

if you are so dedicated why don't you try for a job like investment banking?

im actually not dedicated to the whole premed journey right now i just realized over the last couple weeks coming out of my first year that i am actually fucked unless i start putting my shit down
trying to start now

Know 2 very close cousins who got in and around 4 close friends.

Med Schools are pretty situational, it's almost like they pick students out of a hat. (Race baiting (very powerful), "local volunteering", research, etc.)

For example, cousin 1 got a 55 percentile MCAT
and got into XXX School MD (local school and he showed his community love), friend 1 from out of state got a 97 percentile and DIDNT GET AN INTERVIEW for the same school... (he eventually got into another but still).

Remember, all these programs have a 1-2% acceptance rate. You must keep your GPA above 3.8.

>must keep your gap over 3.8

Not really mate. I mean sure it's beneficial but it's only one piece of the pie. My bro got in with a 3.4

out of country?

Was it MD or DO? Is he mexican, black, or a sea mexican?

Also is this the american system you're talking about?

>premed
>stressing about GPA
>competing for resident positions
>limited lifetime earnings

Sounds hard all the way over here with my Engineering degree.

Md school in America. His mcat was like 80th percentile and he had a lot of clinical experience. It's not common but it's not shockingly abnormal either

premed is fuckin hell man
gl with your eng though

>must keep above 3.8
>median is 3.6

Hmmm

I kind of screwed up hard my freshman year in terms of grades and finished with a 3.2 GPA, but I've been published in twice in journals with impact factors of >15 and as first author too.

I know I need to pick up my shit together with my grades, but can research help save my ass for Med School? Especially for a top tier one like Harvard, Stanford?

I didn't really decide I want to go to Med School till this summer after really enjoying my research

So this board is literally just a "post anything you want board" isnt it

These schools have a 1-2% acceptance rate, you must prove your worthiness one way or another.

>premed student asks an anime imageboard for advice/help

yeah, you'll go far

Like I said, Med Schools are very situational so I wouldn't fret too much. You just gotta give it your absolute all and hope you get lucky enough to get accepted.

Grades don't matter that much anymore when everyone can get 4.0s the schools stop caring. Research is very good and if you can get some volunteer work at a non medical type thing that will help you a lot. Have a friend in med school now, 2 years of volunteer work at john Muir was actually held against him because schools are looking for people with more "diversified" experiences and not medical autists. Seriously because he volunteered at a top tier medical center he was KEPT OUT OF FUVKING MEDICAL SCHOOLS.

Am second year med student. To get into med school you need:
1) GPA
2) MCAT
3) Volunteer Experience
4) Clinical volunteering
5) Research
6) Letters of rec
7) Hobbies

Picking which schools to apply to is the most important step as there is a lot of variability in what schools are looking for and applying to some is basically a waste of money.

forgot to add to my own post
8) Shadowing

also my stats were
3.8 GPA in a tough major and 33 MCAT with no studying and just a couple of practice tests.

medschool fag here, 6th year

don't do it bro, that's my only advice

don't...fucking...do it

>medical student in the caribbean whos applying for the match and didn't have to go through BS 4-year degree
whew

6th year? where do you go to med school? Also OP dont listen to this faggot. I am 2nd year and so far am having a good time and making gains still.

so its confirmed that veryone on fit is either an engineer or doctor right

I'm a physicist.

Serbia.
Yeah don't listen to someone who obviously has more experience.

Americans think their medicine is jesus

lol as if some shit unaccredited school in serbia comes anything close to our education here. Have you ever even seen an MRI machine?

Point proven

Army nurse here. Med school seems pretty cash once youre eventually done and a doc...except for the debt. Find a way to get that shit paid for.

Army pays it all away, but you're also an indentured serveant in the end.

Lol alright suit yourself

The point of all the stories is to show you the point in multiple different ways for a deeper and more lasting understanding