Why do gym trainers hate free weights so much?

Why do gym trainers hate free weights so much?

It's always "machines are better" with them.

Other urls found in this thread:

docdro.id/vds9A30
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Less chance of injury.
Less chance of actually making gains.
It'll keep you their client forever.

because you don't need minimal knowledge to teach someone to use a machine. Which is what most pt's have.

Machines are easier. And most trainers are shit with no knowledge of lifting. They only got a certificate by doing some easy PT test thats done in a week.

Noobs, grandmas, and manlets are more likely to injure themselves with big boy weights. It's so they don't get their pants sued off them in case their client shits the bed during a lift.

so pajeet ranjeet and middle aged soccer mom jo-anne won't destroy their rotator cuff or drop dumbells and break a toe and start a lawsuit.

If you go heavy youre just as likely to injure yourself. And technique is required by machines, too.

Because PTs are for new fags who would end up in snap city if they tried to do free weights. Also all the trainers at my gym are the smallest people there so they have probably just got their certificate and gone to be personal trainers before they have even built themselves up.

Good thing PTs don't ever let their guys go heavy and set the seat heights and weight for them.
I'm not trying to refute your post but PTs can mitigate machine fuckery with much more ease and convenience than with dumbbell and barbell work.

i'm a pt. it depends on the client and how retarded i think they are.

Not every PT is like that.
It seems that in some countries PT activity isn't really regulated. You take a class or just an exam and you're done.
Some PTs actually have a degree and have some real, actual scientific and medical knowledge, far beyond NSCA's guidelines (I still recommend any noob out there to read the NSCA manual)( docdro.id/vds9A30 )
Real PTs should educate trainees to proper use of machines and proper form of free weights, that's obvious. Furthermore PTs should educate about the logic beyond their routine schemes, about nutrition, about supplementation and generally speaking a non-professional lifter should be able to proceed on his own after no more than a year of PT supervision for the rest of their lifetime. Without hopping on reddit-tier pre-made routines.
It seems that in some countries (namely: USA) anyone can call themselves a "PT" and they'll try to get some clients for as long as they can, like chiropractors do in those same countries.

1: Most "trainers" don't actually know shit
2: Most trainers are lazy and want to do as little work as possible so using machines means they never have to spot you
3: Less risk of injury
4: Most people who use trainers are weak as fuck and you aren't likely to come back if you struggle to lift baby weight in your first session

I'm a PT. The first thing I teach my clients is that the barbell is the only thing they'll ever have to touch to get big gains.

Is being a PT something you could do part time?

yes, some of the PTs at my gym are older (50s/60s) who are retired and do PT part time for when they're bored, so I'm assuming you could do the same

What do PTs do when they get old? You rarely see any over the age of 30.

>mfw trainer shits on other trainers when they say free weights are bad
>in front of clients
>other trainers are almost DYEL, she consistently won national BB championships in the past 5 years
it's hilarious watching it happen

>Less chance of injury.

evry tiem

jesus

i hate that so fucking much. I can see people getting shot but I can`t see bones break, I just cringe so hard.

My trainer hates machines with a passion, used them in the beginning to get some basic strength and then he told me I could keep using them if I really wanted to or needed to do specific things but otherwise go with free weights and calisthenics

The only useful PT I've ever come across was a guy that was way over the age of 40, he taught me proper form sq/dl/bench/ohp/row and left me to it after that.

Then cunts shouldn't be trainers if they can't even show ppl how to exercise without injuring themselves.

Similarly, if those people who lift remain ignorant of the correct form especially in this day and age when there's an instruction for everything online then they probably deserve what they get - if those people have access to these resources but chose to remain ignorant.

>technique is required by machines

The only technique you need to learn is how to read the fucking instructions on the side of them. They are designed to isolate certain muscle groups while performing a single motion, completely idiot proof. There is nothing to "get."

I am pretty sure if you did a similar amount of weight with free weights your chances of injury would be even higher, yeah.

same here user, fuck how am I going to bulk today if I just lost all my will to eat

I had a trainer and he trained me on free weights almost exclusively.

The trainer sat down with me before our sessions began and basically addressed what I was asking for. Basically all I told the guy was:

>I want to become stronger and put on more muscle/weight

The ones that are put on the machines are typically old people and people that are borderline obese.

He is an idiot for locking out his knees, if he did it correctly that shit wouldnt have happend

I joined my first gym recently and started lifting.
Two different trainers tried to get me on machines, but they were nice enough to drop it once I explained I was going to use free weights instead.

Too much weight, machine or freeweight, and you are going to get rekt. Its not the weight in itself, but the improper form that occurs when people overload themselves. Dumbasses wanna make big bad gainz and bite off more than they can chew and resort to cheating and poor methods just to scrape through the set without ever taking into account the fact they arent working to full potential.

That webm is case and point: dude overloaded himself, and was locking at the top to buy himself a brief moment of rest between reps. Except he locked at failure and his shit got fucked raped so fucking hard. Now not only is he a gimp bitch, but he will NEVER reach full potential. He has to restart from zero AND never can get as big as he was aiming for.

If you cant complete your set to failure without cheating with improper form, then lower the weight. I dont understand how this isnt common sense but then again the average person is a mouthbreathing retard so i suppose this being a shocking revelation isnt surprising.

>in the uk you have to waste 4k to be certified aka bullshit toilet paper
>you cant freelance PT in most gyms so you gotta work using their shitty wage rates

theres a reason no one fit becomes a pt here. make more money as an "online coach" than this shit

So you lie to them?

Shit like this is exactly why I'll stick to squats and deadlifts for legs.

damn, you took the time to write that out?

they don't know how to use the free weights.

I was taking a godzilla shit

I dunno, both of the fitness trainers at my gym are professional bodybuilders. Alebit they are older now and past their peak but both are still in amazing shape and the male is probably the biggest dude in the gym. They give damn good advice if they know you're not a total noob and/or stupid.

my bro is a pt and heres why

1. Its about the sale n the degree of client commitment
-long commitment=bigger sale which leads to more shared knowledge ie nutrition/compound lifts etc
2. The perceived client potential
-If you fat as fuck they putting you in the cardio section. If you already built see #1
3. Client goals
-Not all goals require free weights ie explosiveness, stamina (cardio) etc
4. Liability
-You bust your knees on a squat session the pt can be held liable

>people actually pay for something you can learn on youtube

>explosiveness

Either free weight or bodyweight. Not machines.

you literally can't learn on youtube, that's why many self learners are horribly wrong
few of them realise their form is shit and ask for a form check on leddit, where a bunch of arm chair autists will spout all kinc of wrong advices
very few of them are lucky enough to find an old powerlifter spotting them and checking them for free, but realistically their routine is shit and after a year they'll totally stop progressing

It's not that they hate freeweights, but gyms realize how useless they become without machines. I built my own home gym for much less than $1000 dollars, meanwhile gyms will spend $1000 on a single machine. If people realized they didn't need machines, they'd just go out and buy their own home gym and stop paying a personal trainer and gym membership.

Maybe they like working out on a machine?

Athlean X helped me a fuckton

And check the treadmill prices, expensive stuff for something people can do for fucking free in the parks and even streets.

They dont want to rerack them. Its really that simple

My gym just bought a new treadmill cause one broke (we only have 3) and it cost like $4400.
Just ridiculous. We could buy a top shelf rack, bar and plates with that money.

>We could buy
>We
You're probably over-estimating your puny contribution to the gym net income. Wildly over-estimating. Treadmills and machines are the economic staple for any gym struggling to appeal to most users
>hurr durr but normies are retardos and don't know shit I want no treadmills only fat grunting guys
nice, go for it, create your gym and have fun paying bills. normie's subscriptions pay bills. autismal powerlifters are a niche.

I work at the gym.
I know how much money we have, and our clientele are mainly focused on strength training. There are other gyms in the area for normies, ours is the "old school" one.

>leg press and injury in one post
Ain't clicking that shit nigga

What exactly are the consequences of this? Is your leg permanently fucked? Can you ever do leg press again?