Did Japanese fanaticism was finnaly broken on Okinawa?

Over 7400 Japanese surrendered on Okinawa, was this a sign of faltering Japanese resistance? Japanese not allways killed themselves or fough to death it seems.

did yanks just kill their prisoners and claim they didn't give up?

>Did Japanese fanaticism was finnaly broken on Okinawa?

That was very common at the start of the war but far less so by its end.

A lot of Marines were distraught at witnessing the mass suicides of Japanese civilians on Saipan and alter Okinawa.

> "a secret [U.S.] intelligence report noted that only the promise of ice cream and three days leave would ... induce American troops not to kill surrendering Japanese."

Sorry for bad English.

>Official U.S. Navy foto

Citation needed.

Niall Ferguson, "Prisoner Taking and Prisoner Killing in the Age of Total War: Towards a Political Economy of Military Defeat", War in History, 2004, 11 (2): p.150

I don't know the details, but there were something like 40,000 conscripted Okinawans. Okinawans were treated like shit by the mainlander Japanese.

Imagine the USA annexed Mexico as a territory, tried to destroy Mexican culture, treat them like a colony, then used Mexico and Mexican conscripts as a buffer to protect the mainland from invasion from the south. Something like that.

Except that most of those who surrendered were ethnic japanese, not Okinawans. On Saipan 1000 Japs also surrendered and there where NO Okinawans present there. How do you explain that?

Face it, Discipline within ranks of IJA Okinawa was destroyed by the June 21.

This was a common occurance in the field, mainly due to the fear that surrendering Japanese would do thing such as hiding fused grenades in their armpits so that when they lifted their arms to be searched the grenades would drop and detonate, killing 2 or more soldiers. When surrender occured, it was common practice for US troops to demand that those surrendering strip completely. If you didn't have anyone to interpret this or in an environment which still had hostile combatants, soldiers would be more likely to kill the prisoner, seeing them as bait to lure them into the open.

>Imagine the USA annexed Mexico as a territory, tried to destroy Mexican culture, treat them like a colony, then used Mexico and Mexican conscripts as a buffer to protect the mainland from invasion from the south. Something like that
well, the Navajo and Niggers in the US Army fought bravely

btfo

Noice

There are also recorded instances of marines shooting civilians on Okinawa and never being punished for it.

>Japanese won't surrender to the Westerners
>surrender in droves to the Soviets
How backward.

>36$ to get to read the article
Anybody have PDF uploaded somewhere?

Kwantung Army still had several pockets resisting the soviets in Manchuria actually

So Hawaii

Someone tell me the craziest and most fucked-up things you heard about the Japanese military.

I heard that they had hooked all their soldiers on meth.

That was Japanese propaganda to encourage civilians to fight American troops. I get why people could potentially see this as a coverup. However seeing how militarized the Japanese populace was, its really not hard to see the connections.

That was the Germans
I don't know much about ww2 compared to ww1 but id imagine the Japanese could've done that and worse fuck the Japanese forever

Not too much apparently since they went on a rampant war crime spree like the Soviets did.

Those that got shot were the lucky ones.

Okinawa isn't a very good example considering they were viewed as second rate Japanese

All sides used meth in WW2

Good explanation.