/owg/ - A thread for the discussion of weightlifting and all things related...

/owg/ - A thread for the discussion of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>let's try to stay alive edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:

youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

heavy cleans tonight, I think I'll finally break 65kg

Got the red leistungs today. Exited to try them tomorrow. Feel lighter than the adipowers. And they fit tighter as well. I think I will be more stable with tthem.

let's keep it going y'all

Hey /owg/ any tips on getting that full knee extension? I always do those stupid donkey kicks on snatches, I just can't get the hang of fully extending the knees and sometimes just end up stomping my feet.

>heavy cleans
>65kg
post tits

unironically just jump

reminder

>I should be in the 94kg weight class
>I weight 72kg, most I've weighted was 80kg
>I left highschool, at my current height, at 57kg
FUCK

>tfw superheavy
I was actually planning to get back over 100kg as soon as possible anyway, happy this coincides with picking up weightlifting.
>left highschool, at my current height, at 57kg
Why would you do that? Are you aware that you most likely have irreversibly fucked your musculoskeletal development?

*I weigh

*most I've weighed

ftfy

guys i think i might have potential for this sport

short femurs + i seem to be very efficient with lift ratios, despite having godawful tech

eh, i think people take this too literal. kolecki was 185 cm and did best at 94kg. theres no way he would have been as competitive at superheavy.

>"but he's the exception"

nigga, bone structure/frame matters a lot too.

>Why would you do that?
Do what? It's just what I weighed - I wasn't starving myself or anything.
Thanks bruv, I'm not a native speaker.

>very efficient with lift ratios, despite having godawful tech
what did he mean by this

>I wasn't starving myself or anything.
>57kg adult male
pick one

He imagines he'd have a high Sinclair without even training? No idea desu senpai

Well, to be fair that was at 17 years of age, so not adult. :^)

jokes on u I weigh 15kg

You mean lbs?

Yeah, 195lbs

>try to heavy clean
>triple extension is successful
>drop down to catch the bar
>hold the position at the bottom for a full second
>bar slips out of my hands anyway and it falls forward
Anyone know what could be the cause of an unstable bottom position? I managed to fix it with lighter weights by having a narrower grip, but it started happening again when I increased weight

ex. clean to front squat ratio, not sinclair

I can't do a real snatch because once I get low in the catch my heels come way up and my balance goes to shit. This is with heeled shoes. Can't overhead squat/snatch balance either for the same reason. What do.

i m p r o v e o v e r h e a d p o s i t i o n
i m p r o v e d o r s i f l e x i o n

also soft tissue work for your popliteus

Depending on your ankle flexibility, have that checked out first.

What I would do is to do a weight that is easy for you to do, record it, and perform a easy analysis on it.

bump

m8 I don't mean to talk down on you but my max power clean when I first started was 85kg and my snatch was 65kg @80kg
Am I some sort of prodigy
I got to a 95kg PC in a month before I stopped since my deadlift stalled at 150kg and I'm more interested in that

m80, it was humor. You know I can't clean 65kg yet.

m8 my vertical is 20 inches. The most I've ever cleaned was 70kg, even though I can deadlift twice that for reps

Replied to wrong guy

>tfw 186cm
There's no way I am ever going superheavy though. Current record holder in -105 is 186 too, so I guess it's still a viable weight class for me.

>t 86kg twink

Keep your chest and elbows up. Dont let them drop. Upright posture / correct positions are very important.

Thanks m8. I'll try to keep those cues in mind when I clean heavy next time

How do you lads wash your wl shoes?

When you extend at the top, keep shrugging and pulling the bar up to your ears. Then your second pull will turn into the third pull aka pulling yourself under the bar. This way you wont drop down without the bar in close contact and get it crashing down on you. And always stay tight - dont let out all your air and tightness in the bottom, because then you wont have a tight and strong structure/support for the bar and will surely drop it. Hope this makes sense

40-60degrees for 60-90minutes in the washer. Done that with my adipowers and they look brand new each time. Didnt use any liquids though

no, you prob had previous athletic/lifting experience

I should be SHW but no fucking way I'm gonna bulk to that fat. If I'm LUCKY I'll get to 94.

How fucking small are you people that you get "super fucking fat" if you're above 100kg?

184cm

>what is frame
are you guys just legit lanklets with absolutely no robustness?

I'm 80kgs now and borderline skinnyfat. I don't know how much more lean muscle I can build. I've never trained my chest and arms properly. I'm still novice tier in my upper body but intermediate in my legs (according to Symmetric Strength). The other lifters at the club says it's gonna be really hard if not impossible for me to get to 105, my ideal weight. Coach says I should aim for the 94kg class. I'm 24 and I don't have the time to properly bulk to 105 unless I want to get more fat than strong.

I.e. you are a small framed beta
>mfw used to walk around at 115kg and people would guess I was 90kg

And I don't even train any hypertrophy since I don't have the time. If I'm gonna eat I'll just get stronger and bigger in my legs.

Since the data used was collected from elite weightlifters, I think this chart is supposed to show what a weightlifter's goal weight should be at the peak of their lifting career--meaning you should have built as much muscle as you can until you've reached a point of diminishing hypertrophy returns after years and years of lifting.

Dude, you gotta train hypertrophy.

Do any of you lift without shoes? I have pretty good ankle mobility, especially after a proper warm up and i can clean and jerk 135lbs no problem with great form. However, i have trouble with snatches and i cannot overhead squat to save my life. To be fair, i just started teaching myself to snatch so im guessing i just need more practice time.

Lay it on me, senpai. How necessary are oly shoes for these lifts? I enjoy being barefoot when im not at work, and i do these types of lifts as more of a hobby rather than training to compete in an event one day.

Tips for snatch progression? I have a good overhead position, and good front squat and deadlift form, but i cant balance worth a shit during an overhead squat.

Average build, just haven't been lifting long so pretty un-muscular. Also just 18yo, so I guess I'll grow some more.

You have small frame if you are skinny fat at that height and that low bodyweight.

The plus of that of course is that you can appear more jacked with less effort, but the con is that you have far lower muscular potential and since we compete in a strength sport, this is obviously bad.

Get shoes. Even if you don't compete, they're still nice to do front/back squats in. Also if you really like the movements, you'll enjoy them more if you got something to do them comfortably in.