Machines vs Calisthenics

Purely curious, I use free weights. Interested to hear thoughts on this.

What would produce superior results: an ALL machine workout or a pure calisthenics workout?

>Maintaining muscle
>Building muscle
>which is safer?

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

researchgate.net/publication/245766073_Periodized_Training_Program_of_the_Canadian_Olympic_Curling_Team
businessinsider.com/curling-physical-demands-and-workout-2014-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any takers?

Just speculating but I would expect that you would need to find a way to add weight. Just doing more reps increases endurance muscle, which wouldn't get you any size or necessarily more strength after a certain point.

yeah trade both for squats

First of all how do you measure results? That's the biggest thing here.

If getting big is the ultimate goal, machines without question - they possess the ability to overload which is not as feasible with calisthetics (yeah more reps but it isn't enough compared to adding far more mass as machines allow)

If you're goal is general health as seen by a medical professional/general population then most likely calisthenics as you'll be free from the problems associated with excess weight and likely have a better cardiovascular system due to the longer time typical from calisthenics

Safer, assuming you aren't retarded both are safe. Could slip and fall doing pull ups/dips or could snap your shit overloading machines. Neither hold a particularly large risk in my mind though, body weight/not overly long fall and safety on machines should mitigate most risk.

Like anything, depends on your goals as to which is better, they achieve similar but not the same sort of thing

>Maintaining muscle
>Building muscle
>which is safer?
Let's look at real life examples instead of larping and hypothesizing.
Professional bodybuilders' goal is to get as huge as possible. The competition uses gear so it's a level playing field. Two guys, training their whole life, twin brothers so identical genetics, same gear, etc
One guy can leg press 800 pounds for 20, the other can do a single toe pistol shrimp bosu ball inverted atg squat.
Who has bigger legs? I think you know the answer. If calisthenics had the same potential to get you huge, BBers would planche and dragon flag all day

>the other can do a single toe pistol shrimp bosu ball inverted atg squat.
Maximum keks. Good thought comparison though, agreed

what if your goal isn't really getting huge but.... /functional strength/ ?

My bro, fuck you

depends on your goals
bodyweight is safer just because cables and awkward grip angles on machines can strain your body in weird ways. also cause obviously you could just max out a machine when you're too weak to do it.

like everyone here said machines = hypertrophy and strength
you'll just run out of progression using only bodyweight.
if you can only do bodyweight you better be doing fuckloads of cardio, plyometrics, rock climbing, and static hold progressions, because those are the hardest things you can do without weights

>not doing both

this

move to California and suck dick, because only faggs think lifting barbells doesn't translate into real strength

>real strength
kek, a calisthenics fag can kick a meathead anytime

In case you don't know, deadlifts translate pretty fucking well into sports, combat sports included. Other compound movements too, kinda. This of course assumes that a guy isn't doing all lifting and instead has some lifting and is practicing a good martial art.

Never used a machine and never will. Calisthenics are far superior in every way. You will get far stronger and probably look far better in the process as well.
If you ask me machines are lowest of the low unless you have some injury.
Calisthenics isn't your middle school PE class warm up where you do a set of 20 push ups. I just wish people would bother to actually learn about calisthenics before posting anything that comes to their mind.

Post legs, traps and erectors
>implying you will

I dont want to post pictures of my erection on here but when im home ill take a pic of my legs

Erectors. As in spinal erectors. And traps too.
Calisthenics works great for abs, arms, chest, shoulders and lats. So, about 30-40% of the body.
Please prove me wrong

I will : )
Ill attach a pic of my erection with it as well since you keep asking

bodyweight will give you amazing body control due to working on your stabilizer muscles and you'll also know where your body in space is

machines are garbage all around apart from getting stronger because you can manage your overload better

Yeah cause i dont know where my body is without doing inverted shrimp bosu ball squats

No serious athlete only does calisthenics. Why do you think that is?

Lol

Exercise historian here.

Calisthenics are about 120 years old - they got invented by Freemason German Humanists (not kidding).

The barbell is about 150 years old and got invented by a French Communist (also not kidding).

Exercise machines are slightly older at around 200 years. They were originally used as treadmills for farm animals to churn butter and, in 1818, the Brits (a guy named Sir William Cubitt) invented a "neverending staircase", basically a stair master, to punish inmates (pic related, since it's the craziest of these). Inmates had to walk the stairs for over 6 hours to pump water, grind grain or just for the punishment.

The stairmaster was abolished in 1898 because of its cruelty, by the way, so come to your own conclusions about modern treadmills etc.

If it makes you feel better, though, dumbells are literally our friends since antiquity.

Name a professional or Olympic athlete who doesn't lift weights and only does calisthenics.

>Calisthenics are about 120 years old
Man people have been exercising using body weight for thousands of years. They might have plastered a name onto the theory but don't act like any one person invented calisthenics.

Bet the prisoners had giant calves by the end of their sentence

Also calisthenics is much older than 120 years old. The pommel horse for example was used since ancient times.

You want to be a professional or olympic athlete. Is that why you train with barbells? I hope to see you representing your country in 2020.

>dodging the question
Name an Olympic athlete who only does calisthenics. This is the last time I will respond because you can't.

The only difference between machines and calisthenics is that there isn't a difference and they both mean that you're a faggot.

I dont know any olympic athletes and i dont know how they train.
What do you want me to say?
Since you are asking such a stupid question I will give you a stupid answer, here is a pic of olympic athletes that probably dont do much strength training to begin with.

Anyone trying to demean calisthenics or machines should post their own picture so we can see the results of superior barbell training.
But you cant post pictures of other men.

Looks like you're a faggot
researchgate.net/publication/245766073_Periodized_Training_Program_of_the_Canadian_Olympic_Curling_Team

businessinsider.com/curling-physical-demands-and-workout-2014-2
>1:26
>it starts with a lot of weight training

>shoulder extension on BOSU
Kek keep making me laugh
Good luck in 2020 you'll do great.

Half of Veeky Forums thinks calisthenics is just 20 pushups and sit ups then call it a day. If you can
>One arm chins
>Dragon flags
>Front lever rows
>90 degree push ups
>Planche push ups
>Handstand push ups
You will look good. As everyone will say, it's pretty shit for legs. Doing alot of sprints, pistols and biking can bring your legs up to at least an alright size but they'll never be huge. Imo gymnast rings are the single best tool for upper body development and everyone should try to implement them into a routine.

The exercises you mentioned aren't even the hardest when it comes to calisthenics.
People here are either clueless or delusional.

I belive fucking lunges are calisthenics...

Not for olympic athletes they are not