/routine/ thread

Ctrl + F, 4 results, no relevant thread

The thread where newfags play with their shiny new toy, everyone gives shitty advice and nobody takes anyone's advice, leading to a complete waste of everyone's time. Post, rate, critique and don't forget to hate on people with different goals and preferences than you!

I want to train 4 days a week. Substituting front squats for back squats seems pretty legit, because if you do back squats you can't deadlift strong on the same day or for the next couple of days (and vice versa), while front squats barely affect them at all

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/how-to-build-mass-as-a-tall-lifter
startingstrength.com/article/into-the-great-wide-open-the-texas-method-and-5-3-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get in here faggots

I was thinking of changing my 3/week fullbody to an upper/lower split like the below as I just cannot recover in time anymore. Pls r8 and/or h8.

M:
>Upper strength

3x3 bench
3x10 bench
6-8xF Yates rows supersetted with situps to fail
Bi/tri/delt circuit until failure

T:
>Squat day

3x3 squat
3x10 squat
3x10 hip thrust supersetted with some kind of ab thing
Something else still? Calves? or just push presses for the hell of it?

W:
>Rest

Thurs:
>Upper volume

DB bench/row/Z-bar tri/Bi-circuit, 3 circuits of sets to failure
Delt raise/DB curl/legraises, 3 circuits of sets to failure
1-3 circuits of cable curls/tricep pushdowns/face pulls until fail

Fri:
>Deadlift

3x3 deadlift
3x10 deadlift
5xF pullups supersetted with hanging legraises

Sat/Sun

>Rest or some sort of sprints/swim of I feel like it.

Pls halp. Current PB's:

>Bench 140 kg
>Squat 200 kg
>Deadlift 240 kg
>Push press 100 kg

Your routine looks pretty similar to nSuns, just with different T1/2/3 lifts. Not bad I'd say, although I'd replace Chin ups with a row variation, and do chin ups as an accessory.

I'm running a modified nSuns 531 at the moment. Can you guys rate my accessory choices?

Why no ohp?
Why 1/week frequency on almost everything?
>Your routine looks pretty similar to nSuns, just with different T1/2/3 lifts.
It's pretty much copy pasted, I don't like deviating too much from "standard" routines
>replace Chin ups with a row variation, and do chin ups as an accessory.
I put in Chinups as a main lift for a reason, it's very easy to unconsciously cheat on a row but you have to consciously kip a chinup to cheat
Plus chin-ups offer a longer ROM for the shoulder extension and elbow flexion movements, which I like
>rate my accessory choices?
Solid. Maybe add leg raises and calf raises on lower body days

hi there

Too complicated and formatting too verbose but you squat >4 and pull >5 plate so who am I to judge

>Why no ohp?
I've never been really interested enough to focus properly. WHere would you suggest to have it?

>Why 1/week frequency on almost everything?

I was thinking on having a strength/size day for upper and squat/deadlift day for lower. I'm also shit at programming upper/lower, as you can probably see. My reasoning was that I'll do similar enough movements that they will support and complement each other (DB/BB rows and presses, squats and diddlies). How wrong am I?

>I put in Chinups as a main lift for a reason, it's very easy to unconsciously cheat on a row but you have to consciously kip a chinup to cheat
>Plus chin-ups offer a longer ROM for the shoulder extension and elbow flexion movements, which I like

Ah fair enough man. I often cheat the last rep on Pendlay Rows but will usually not count it if I do, so I get where you're coming from.

Tried posting this a bunch of times but haven't gotten any response yet. Just switched from PPL because ABxABxx fits my schedule better:

A:
-3x6 OHP
-3x6 Bench Press
-3x12 Lat raises
-3x12 Shrugs
-3x12 Cable Crossover Flyes
-3x12 Triceps Pushdowns
-3x12 Cable Curls

B:
-3x6 Squats
-1x6 Deadlifts
-3x6 Bent Over Rows
-3x12 Leg Press
-3x12 Leg Curls
-3x12 Lat Pulldowns
-3x12 Calf Raises

>46kg lat raise
Explain

A Texas Method variant for a tad more emphasis on ''''hypertrophy'''', one of Feigenbaums creations. All progression is standard TM stuff.

>Volume
5x8 Squats
5x8 Bench
3xF Chinups

>Light/Recovery
3x3 Front Squats
3x3 Clean & Press
3x5 Stiff-legged Diddly
3x5 Dips
3x10 DB Rows

>Intensity
1x5 Squats
1x5 Close-grip Bench
1x5 Deadlift
After the top set squeeze out as many submaximal sets/reps as you can, with the same weight, for about 15 minutes.

Arm stuff and direct ab work twice a week.

If you cheat (leg push then hip dip) it's not that hard to raise 23 kg per side for a single moment
Add chin-ups on A, move shrugs to B
Wednesday looks too heavy. Move SLDL on Monday
I'd 5rm normal bench on Friday, 5x5 normal on Monday and add some close grip on Monday after that like 3x8

All your questions can be answered by doing gzcl, ws4sb, j&t 2, phul, phat, c6w, nsuns 531 or literally any premade UL split
Your formatting and exercise selection looks a lot like candito's linear hypertrophy program or phul so start with one of those

tfw your front squats will never be this pretty

well ty for your comment, to me it really isn't complicated at all, I just use "effort" as a variable where other programs use fixed undulating percentages with concurrent reduced reps and/or volume (thus are more "complicated" to me)
I don't really test 1 RM on major compounds, at best I periodically check in the ~3RM range and estimates seem consistent
I'm trying to slowly rise the front squat/back squat ratio and the OHP/chest ratio as well
it's just a projected RM to fill the spreadsheet, it translates in 14 kg db in each hand for 12 reps (not even that much)
I'm pretty strict with form, I don't cheat with db, rows or OHP (well, some push press may kick in on the last OHP reps, but I tend to avoid it as much as possible)

Don't worry satan, it's cheating because he has knee wraps, everyone knows they pretty much support all the weight

I'm doing the super simple 5x5 from the sticky. I think I should put up some sort of pull up bar in my garage so I can do a few every day and actually progress on them. my goals are for the end of August. 6 ft

I'm trying to make a PPL

Does this seem good:

Push:
Flat bench
OHP
Dips

Pull:
Bentover Rows
Upright Rows
Pullups

Legs:
Front squat
Back squat
Deadlift

give advice thanks

>does this seem good
Exercise selection is 10/10
But it's not a program until you specify training frequency, %s, sets and reps

thanks
thoughts on this?

Mon/Thu Push:
Flat bench 3x8-12 @ 70%
OHP 4x8 @ 70%
Dips 2x8, 1xF (note: i suck ass at dips, so they're unweighted)

Tue/Fri Pull:
Bentover Rows 3x8-12 @ 70%
Upright Rows 4x8 @ 70%
Pullups 2x10, 1xF (note: I also suck at pullups)

Wed/Sat Legs:
Front squat 5x5 @ 80%
Back squat 5x5 @ 80%
Deadlift 3x5 @ 80%

I want more upper body development, but I still want a lot of strength in the legs.

Better. Recommendations:
1) Alternate which exercise you do first every day. Do the first exercise for same sets, less reps, higher %. For example, 3x3 Deadlifts or Bench at 85%. There are tons of benefits in undulating periodization which I'm not qualified to analyze rn, but there's a reason all serious programs include it.
2) If you suck at pullups do them first! Don't worry about doing dips first as they're an accessory, but pullups are a basic exercise so it's ok to do them first every other pull day
3) go get them

Is there a way to do TM on a 4 day split?

LEARN TO GOOGLE FAGGOT
TM has a 4 day split. It's in the book Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe. Read it.
There's several variations.
Week A
>Monday: Bench 5x5, OHP 3x8, LTE 3x10-12
>Tuesday: Squat 5x5, Power Clean 5x3, Chin up 3x10
>Thursday: Bench 5x1, OHP 5RM, Dips 3x15
>Friday: Squat 5RM, DL 5RM, BB Row 3x10
Week B
>Monday: OHP 5x5, Bench 3x8, LTE 3x10-12
>Tuesday: Squat 5x5, Power Snatch 6x2, Chin up 3x10
>Thursday: OHP 5x1, Bench 5RM, Dips 3x15
>Friday: Squat 5RM, DL 5RM, BB Row 3x10

6'3 200lb, chubby
3xweek, MWF, 11:00AM

>A Day
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
DL 1x5
Assisted chin up machine drop sets to failure
5-10 min of cardio

>B Day
Squat 5x5
OHP 5x5
Brorow 5x5
Assisted chin up machine drop sets to failure
5-10 min of cardio

Intermittent fasting, eating once a day around 5pm. Sedentary TDEE at 2,373, I haven't been tracking calories exactly, but I think I have been hitting below that.

I did SL 5x5 before for about 8 months and I never got any arms, stopped lifting for school, now back at it.
I want arms this time and the same numbers I used to lift. Starting over from the beginning basically, still making gains even when basically starving myself.

Any advice would be wonderful.

What page is that on I don't see it anywhere

don't remember and cbf to look it up. It should be around page 180-220
looks ok

Should I be alternating or super setting dips with the chin ups? I'm scared my arms will become imbalanced with so much pull with no extra push beyond OHP and Bench.

I'm pretty sure the original SL is only chin-ups on bench day (no dips) and only dips on OHP day. So no supersetting, just alternate between days
>I'm scared my arms will become imbalanced
Lol, don't worry, nothing of the sort will happen.
Even if the ONLY exercise you do for upper body is chin-ups (no other pushing or pulling) you'd still be growing delts, chest and triceps because they are used a bit in shoulder extension
Or look at it this way, on both A and B days you do 10 sets pressing and 5 sets rowing. If you add 5 sets dips on one day and 5 sets chin-ups the next, that's still 15-10 in favor of pressing. So don't worry, you aren't pulling nearly as much as you think. If anything, I'd superset dips with curls.
You can also superset chin-ups with calves, they don't interfere with each other so why not

Oh, well I never thought about it like that. So it almost evens out to be 15/15 push/pull if I chin up every day. I'm an idiot.

6'3" 207lbs built fat.

Wanting to build more mass and having trouble doing so with my tall body.

How does this look?

t-nation.com/training/how-to-build-mass-as-a-tall-lifter

Modified 5/3/1, combining 2 main movements and moving assistance work to other days for more frequency

>monday
squat 5/3/1
bench 5/3/1

>wednesday
ohp 5/3/1
deadlift 5/3/1

>friday
upper body assistance (dips, chin, rows, db bench) 5x10

>saturday
lower body assitance (good mornings, leg curls, leg press, abs) 5x10

I just pair DL with incline bench and squat with regular bench and train full body 4 times a week. Works much better for strength gains. The first lift of the day is done with joker sets and FSL while the second is done with just the minimum reps on the PR set because it's supposed to be a lighter day and some low rep FSL work. After the main lifts of the day I just do some back/bicep/shoulder work, 4 quick sets of each 4 times a week is solid volume.

rack pulls above the knee daily

Looks pretty solid to me. Just personal experience 2¢:
I used to do something somewhat similar
>Monday
Squat 531, DL BBB
>Tuesday
OHP 531, Bench BBB
Etc
It's not fullbody but it's similar in that I did super high intensity squat once a week and super low the next, same for the other lifts. So, even though the total frequency for everything was 2x week, the "high intensity squat" frequency was only 1x week
So when the next week came, I felt untrained in the 1+ set, despite having done 5x10 just 3 days ago
What fixed this for me and a couple gymbros who all were on 531 was either doing the assistance work at a higher intensity, say 5x5@80%, or doing lots of back off sets after the 1+ 95% set. For example, a joker or two at 105% (singles obviously) and 5x3 at 85% after. The second sounds like it applies more to you because your 5x10 are mostly not barbell movements
I'd also add a pulling move on Monday. If not pullups at least facepulls
Finally, an option if you find you get tired within few weeks is to condense your BB stuff on Saturday and move DL dai in Thursday, one day further away from squat day
Too complicated. Also, cutting ROM is a copout way to progress fast on the lifts without eating much. Just do a normal program.

bear with me here
i had been running 531 for a good while, maybe 8 months or so but due to traveling had to stop, to get back the strength I lost over the month or so I've been running SS, actually with great success. I know that linear gains/regains in strength are not sustainable, and I've already started to see that. I can only bump squat every other session, and press every second or third.
I've considered running a bastard version of SS or TM after my gains completely run out, something like picking squat and press for A weeks and bench and dead for B weeks, alternating similar to SS, and using the idea of a volume/intensity day for each.
Set up would be something like this:
Weeks A
1 - Squat/press volume, accessory work
2 - Bench/Power Clean, accessory work
3 - Squat/press intensity, set new 5rm, accessory work
Week B
1 - Dead/Bench Volume, accessory work
2 - Squat/press, accessory work
3 - Dead/bench intensity, set new 5rm, accessory work
The function of the accessory work would be to support the main 2 movements from the opposite week, for Week A that means support for bench and deads, Week B support for press and squat. As well as help with general strength development
Does this seem doable? This seems like a great way to accumulate some more volume and frequency, as well as develop overall strength faster than something like 531. Any suggestions or ideas? Am I being retarded?

/skelly/ here. I recently joined a gym and started a routine from one of the trainers. I can feel I'm getting stronger and fitter but Veeky Forums leads me to believe it's probably shit.

I'm thinking of doing phraks greyskull but there's only 3 sets of exersizes a day. Surely there's a a couple of more you do as well right? Is that something you can add on your own?

>seems like a great way to accumulate some more volume and frequency
More volume yes, more frequency no. From week 1 Friday to week 3 Monday it's 10 days without heavy squats. That's a lot of time to be doing just accessories.
Speaking of which, what reps, sets and intensity were you planning to use?
>as well as develop overall strength faster than something like 531. Any suggestions or ideas?
Almost every program is faster than 531. You said you want something slower than SS (daily) and faster than 531 (monthly). The answer is weekly.
Two excellent weekly progress routines are Nsuns 531 (even though it's "531" it's permanently on 5/3/1+ week so it's weekly progress) and TM.

i hadnt considered that, would it be possible to put a squat/press day in on the Wednesday of the opposite week? or similar? im not opposed to similar exercises, such as front squat or push press heavy on that day as well. I'm not really a huge fan of nsuns but TM might also be a consideration

>. Surely there's a a couple of more you do as well right? Is that something you can add on your own?
Only extremely peripheral stuff is recommended. You are inexperienced and will probably sabotage your recovery.
If I were you, I'd only add curls, calf raises, lat raises and facepulls.

I can't help you more without an overview of what reps, sets and %s you have in mind both for basic lifts and accessories

Thanks. Do I do all of them, or only 2 or so a day?

Also after how many weeks/months do I add more? Or is that just not recommended with phraks greyskull? I know it's a more beginner oriented routine, so maybe I should switch to an intermediate routine after 4-5 months?

shit, i saw that but totally forgot.
Intended to follow the method in TM, something like 5x5 80& 5rm on volume day, set a new 5rm on intensity days, then maybe follow that with 3x5 at 80% 5rm

>Do I do all of them, or only 2 or so a day?
All, or none, or 2. They're accessories, it doesn't matter.
>Also after how many weeks/months do I add more? Or is that just not recommended with phraks greyskull? I know it's a more beginner oriented routine, so maybe I should switch to an intermediate routine after 4-5 months?
You should switch to an intermediate routine as soon as daily gains stop and deloading doesn't help. From there, do whatever accessories that routine recommends

What about the accessories

accessories I typically do 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps depending on the exercise. typically try to go for "bigger" accessory too, like BB row, dips, pull ups/weighted pull ups, incline BB bench, etc. etc.

Need to change my routine.

Took up doing BJJ and immediately hurt myself, so stopped lifting for a couple weeks.

Coming back into lifting, I've found my 6x a week PPL program to not only make me fatigued as fuck, but the intensity is ruining my BJJ as well.

I train bjj 4x weekly, on monday, wednesday, thursday, friday.

Can anyone suggest how I should restructure my lifting routine? I homegym and have access to free weights, but only dumbbells.

Yeah, what I said here >From week 1 Friday to week 3 Monday it's 10 days without heavy squats
still stands. Obviously same doe DLs, bench etc.
You're honestly better off doing vanilla TM.
If you don't like cleans, move the DLs on Friday and do lighter DLs on Monday, or a variation like snatch grip DL.
For more volume than vanilla TM, add front squats and some OHP (basically, Wednesday's workout) at the end of the 3 5rm lifts on Friday. You can also add 3x8-12 incline bench on Monday. For accessories and back volume, add rows on Wednesday and some chin-ups on M-F.

Cool, thanks a bunch.

Please help me improve my routine anons... Thinking of moving the ab work from thursday to tuesday, also what a nice lower body exercise that I can add on my lower day that uses the hamstring primarily?

RDL

Is there a good program that is focused on core strength? doc told me to cut back the weightlifting until I strengthened my stabilizers

Routine a PT gave me, I was doing ICF before i joined a new gym which offered 3 free PT classes and he told me that this would be an overall better program.

Thoughts?

It's a lot of volume. The basic program is probably fine for a PPL, but I'd do the following myself:

Push
>cut either the 5x5 bench or the 5x5 OHP, and make the one I cut 3x8
>bring the 5x5s down to 3x5
>cut the machine chest press

Pull
>make deadlifts 5x3 at the same intensity (presumably 80%), alternate them with either Pendlay rows or snatch-grip deficit deadlifts
>drop the lat pulls, do pull-ups for a given number of reps every minute on the minute for a certain amount of time (e.g. 10 minutes, 5 pull-ups every minute), keep every set 2-3 reps short of failure
>drop one variation of rows (probably the cable rows)
>drop one variation of shrugs
>make curls 3x20, with a lighter weight, and a slower tempo

Legs
>drop the stupid calf exercises and do your cardio at an incline

You're hitting each body part once a week. This isn't the most optimal but that means you're hitting it hard IF you actually have the mental capacity to go hard after so many 3 x 12 sets. In my own experience, after 4 or 5 hypertrophy sets, my mind starts to wander and I don't even do exercise properly, my mind-muscle connection goes to shit and the workout becomes garbage. You don't NEED this much volume so I'd say cut out a couple. For legs, fuck doing calf raises AND seated calf raises. Pull day, why dumbbell AND barbell shrugs? You're not strong enough that it makes a difference on your traps

too much volume

I do full body routines 2-4 days a week depending on the week I usually go
2x Leg exercises
2x Back exercises
2x Chest exercises
2x Shoulders exercises
and then finish off with arms

I go 4 sets of 8 for each exercise and always do compound exercises except with arms obviously

Is this good or nah?

I've been lifting for nearly 4 years now and I'm bored. I've done PPL, Candito linear, Candito 6-week, Texas Method, my own 4 day program, some military prep program, various HIIT stuff and right now I do a 6-day-a-week bodybuilding program and cycle pretty much every day.

So, I'm looking for something different. I don't want to lose the muscle I've got (5'11", 182lbs, 12 BF roughly). On the other hand I want a challenge or something. Endurance events are pretty appealing but I don't want to lose too much muscle right now. Basically I'm looking for ways to make fitness fun again.

This'll be interesting. I know this can be done (I just figured it out) but I doubt Veeky Forums could ever manage such an intelligent routine. Give me your best.

Give me a brosplit that's:
* 2x/week frequency per muscle group
* 5 days a week, i.e. 2 rest days (good luck PPL)
* 1 heavy compound (deadlift, press, bench, squat, row/chinup) per workout
* deadlift and squat on seperate workouts
* 4 accessories
* linear periodization for main lifts
* some other form of high rep progression on accessories

>I know this can be done (I just figured it out) but I doubt Veeky Forums could ever manage such an intelligent routine.
Ι have 3-4 routines that fit your criteria but you sound like a fedoralord so no

Join a strongman gym

no you dont

>teasefagging
>implying I'll bite
Post 3 thicc grills to repent for your faggotry and I'll post them

ask and you shall recieve

Disgusting
Post 3 fit girls that look like they are on the upper limit of the healthy BMI range

fuck u

I'm right now doing this:
>A: Squat / Press / Power Clean
>B: Deadlift / Bench / Weighted Chinups
AxBxAxx, 3x5 on Sq/BP/OHP, 1x5 DL, 5x3 PC, Linear Progression

I'm looking to transition to a 5/3/1 routine sometime in september.
I'm away from 3/8 to 13/8, I'll have my last workout with the above routine on 1/8.
I was thinking I'd do a halfway routine from 14/8 until I switch to the proper 531.
Basically the same lifts as my 531 (Maybe some chinups thrown in here and there)
>A: Squat / Deadlift
>B: Bench / Press
>C: Deadlift / Squat
>D: Press / Bench
ABxCDxx, Now everything 5x3, again with Linear progression
I'd only do that for a month or so, basically do get the last bit of Linear Progression and get my lifts up as much as I can.

Once I get to mid/late september, this is the routine I'm going to do:
>A: Power Clean / Squat / RDL
>B: Bench / Push Press / Chinups
>C: Power Clean / Deadlift / Front Squat
>D: Press / Bench / Weighted Chinups
And some abs and calves every day
ABxCDxx, everything with the normal 531 percentages. First cycle 3x5, then 4x5, then 5x5 (with 1 or 2 FSL down sets respectively).
For the secondary Lifts, I was thinking 5x5, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go for higher reps for dat hypertrophy

startingstrength.com/article/into-the-great-wide-open-the-texas-method-and-5-3-1