For me it was Tuesday

What are some events in the history of your country involving another country, that are very important in your history and culture, but nothing to the other country?

For example, the Dutch invasion of Brazil is a major event in our history, every child learns about it in school as the beginning of Brazilian nationhood.

Most Dutch people are probably not even aware that they ever owned part of Brazil for like 15 years. Which is perfectly understandable given all of their immense history as a European country that they have to learn, but still.

Other urls found in this thread:

pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_de_Villegagnon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As an American it always makes me incredibly angry that the Brits consider the War of Independence a minor colonial skirmish.

As I understand it, it was roughly as important to them as the Vietnam War was to us.

Not like an existential threat, but still a substantial strategic and ideological issue.

In Argentina the British invasions of the River Plate (1806 and 1807) and the Anglo-French blockade of the Río de la Plata (1845)

>As I understand it, it was roughly as important to them as the Vietnam War was to us.
That would be over-egging the pudding considerably.

French were the first settlers in Rio. Do you learn about it?
pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_de_Villegagnon

The Toledo War

In the early 1800s Michigan tried to go to war with Ohio over the Toledo Strip. (There was no physical conflict in the end, but our militia men literally marched down there with weapons). The Feds told us to simmer down and gave it to Ohio because they were a state and we were a territory so our vote didn't matter. A rivalry still exists today. We got the UP from Wisconsin though, which was even farther away from statehood, and two tiny peninsulas in Lake Erie that Ohio wants.

Side note: It was realized in 1953 that Ohio had never legally become a state.

As an Australian, we were bombarded (no pun intended) with recounts of the Gallipoli campaign during the First World War against the Turks while in primary school and high school. It's considered by some pseudo-intellectuals as being the "founding" of our country, since it's apparently the first time Australians fought for their own country, under their own flag (ignoring the fact that we were still considered part of the British Empire at this point, and our army was called the Australian IMPERIAL army). So we're taught it's this hugely significant part of our history, whereas to the Turks it's just one of the many landing sights they defended in the Dardanelles campaign.

It pisses me off how much Australia obsesses over this, when it was a spectacular failure in military terms. Why couldn't they focus on our many victories over the Turks in Egypt and Palestine?

>nobody remembers the Charge of the Australian Light Horse

1) Philippines
2) Americans love to pretend this war never happened because it ruins their "Defender of Freedom" narrative.

Yeah, but at least we made it up afterwards.

battle of the gilded spurs for Flanders.
It;s our national holiday, that one time we fucked up the french really bad.
But we went on to lose the war and you'd be hard pressed to find frenchman that cares about that one lost battle.

>angincourt was the fist time the footfolk broke the mounted knight
>perfidious anglo boasting about being the first but we beat them to it

I know Americans talk quite a bit about the colonial theater of the Seven Years War, while for us if the Seven Years War is generally between two eras (Louis XIV and the Revolution), mentionned quickly. Similar situations with Napoléon III’s Mexican expedition, the Haitian revolution, quite a few colonial wars in general. Maybe that revolt in Flanders I’ve been told about, the Spanish theater in the Napoleonic wars, the Italian Wars, even the war of 1870. We did so much shit all over the world over so long that there’s always things we’ll miss. Note that we lost all of these, tho, so that might be the common element.

As for things that involve us but other countries might not consider important, I’m honestly not sure. Generally when France was involved enough that we still talk about it, it’s important. Charles Martel beating back the Arabs, maybe? Battle of Bouvines? Battle of Valmy (but other countries talk about the Révolution, so it probably comes up)? If anyone has any ideas, I’d love to hear it.

>series of battles in 10th and 11th century Ireland between the Irish and Norse settlers
>pretty much apocalyptic in scale for the time period, some of the largest battles in Europe until the Late Medieval period
>barely anyone in either Ireland or Scandinavia knows about them

yea the boeren krijg is an good example of this as well.
you frogs killed over 50000 mostly civilians
but compared to the rest of the napoleonic wars that's a mere foot note so I'm impressed that you even know about it at all

>mfw the "protagonist of history" memes are accurate

>One of the American presidents involved in this war was given a peace prize

I'm pretty sure most don't even know they took over the Philippines.

I did learn about the Dutch conquest of Brazil in high school, altough very briefly.
What suprised me back then having taken interest in the Dutch golden age was that the new world was mentioned very briefly. We got taught far more about Dutch colonies in the East Indies (unsuprisingly) but the capture of Elmina in Ghana was taught extensively. For all we got taught about Brazil is that it was a war spoil which got taken back some years after that by the Portugese

Spanish-american war, it basically killed the spanish nationalism and strengthened the basque, catalan, galician etc ones, and created a moral, political and social crisis in Spain that would last at least until the civil war.

in Canada it's the same story except with Vimy Ridge, although you can make a better argument for it being universally important than with Gallipoli, because it involved some fairly advanced tactical maneuvers (and y'know, we actually won)