There are people on this very board who haven't read this book and couldn't tell you what separates a novice from an...

>there are people on this very board who haven't read this book and couldn't tell you what separates a novice from an intermediate who think they are entitled to give advice

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/why-you-should-not-be-running
startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions
youtube.com/watch?v=K7-pxsFIBjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>thinking Mark is the end-all be-all of fitness

Fuck off

>there are people on this very board who take as gospel the advice of an obese geologist with zero accomplishments as an athlete and as a trainer (who also says you shouldn't do cardio)

His shit is literally based on science lad

Are you trying to say that you're above science?

Yeah, some obese guy saying you should never do cardio is some serious science.

Why do you say things that just are not true user?

Is it because you haven't read the book and therefore aren't entitled to discuss the topic?

Half the book is the Texas Method that came from Glen Pendlay, who does have experience coaching accomplished athletes. He and Rip spent a lot of time together.

startingstrength.com/article/why-you-should-not-be-running

>there are people on this board that look like this

I've probably read this about 5 times.

And incorporated what was useful to me.

People who have been training for 6 months? Who practical programming doesn't really even apply to?

Top lad

This, along with Scientific Principles of Strength Training (Israetel, Hoffmann, Smith) and the RTS Manual (Tuchscherer) are must haves IMO if you want to learn the ins and outs of strength training.

Agreed lad

Its really not even that good or user friendly, the
TM book by Jason whatshisname is way better

>what separates a novice from an intermediate
The ability to make linear progression.
You know, aside from lack of recovery which is explained here
startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions

Strength Training has been consistently proven over and over again to increase VO2 max, as well as muscle size, strength, etc:. While running has only been proven to increase VO2 max.

So for individuals looking to get "the most fit", strength training is a better alternative than running because strength training trains more aspects of fitness than running.
Disprove this

Smart lad

Your being reductionist. The article doesn't merely say "don't do cardio." It says, "if your fitness goal is to put on muscle or become stronger (which will involve putting on muscle), then cardio will impede that goal to a degree. If your fitness goal is to simply have a healthy heart and live well, then there's an argument to be made for weight lifting rather than repetitive cardio exercises like running."

Can you make a compelling counter argument along those lines?

This means that boxers like Mayweather are dumb for doing their running religiously in order to improve their cardio. They should be doing 3x5 low bar squats.

>this kills the Veeky Forums

pls dont listen to lazy fatsos and do your cardio.

youtube.com/watch?v=K7-pxsFIBjU

I understood it as mainly "cardio isn't the non plus ultra in exercising for health and wellbeing and has it's drawbacks too" but when he says you won't put on or keep muscle by doing cardio that's not really true. I mean sure it's not as effective and the results aren't as impressive as strength training, but for example cyclists, rowers, climbers have physiques that show some impressive development in parts of the body.

Not him but there's a difference between an average person wanting to get fit and a competitive athlete trying to stay on top of his/her game. I believe what he's saying is directed toward the former, not the latter.

Read the first two sentences of
>If you are a competitive distance runner or cyclist who is serious about your sport, this article has not been written for you. This highly informative discussion is intended for those people who have taken seriously the advice of doctors, Physical Therapists, exercise physiologists, and the popular media's dutiful reporting on these sources of common misinformation about what kind of physical activity is best for your long-term health and continued ability to participate in the business of living well.
Mayweather is not part of the intended audience of the advice

>can deadlift 700 lbs
>can't climb a flight of stairs
How do you see this scenario taking place?

my routine of cardio was doing 100 burpees in 30 seg burpees/ 30 seg rest, 2 times a week

It took me initially 11-10 minutes, then at after some time i was at 8 minutes

my sprint speed improved dramatically, also my stamina went through the roof, my depression disappeared and i felt full of energy all day

my work capacity in lifting improved a lot too, things that took me 2 minutes to recover i was 40 seconds resting and i already felt good to go again

do your cardio anons

It's good and right that he advocates strenght training for health reasons, but cardio is a must to bolster your fitness and health

>strength training increases VO2 max in untrained populations, meaning that there exists cardiovascular adaptations similar to that of cardio
>cardio has shown to delay the adaptation of strength training as a result of unneeded increased stress on the body
>lol do cardio

Look, the only time I would argue against doing cardio is when it's taking a huge chunk of your recovery that other aspects of your training (or just life in general) starts to suffer. Otherwise, I'm all for it for the most part.