Every Western European country is important to history and completely changed the world--except one. Britain, France...

Every Western European country is important to history and completely changed the world--except one. Britain, France, Spain, Germany, and Italy need no explanation, Portugal kicked off the Age of Discovery, the Dutch invented modern international trade, and even Belgium and Switzerland are solid secondary characters of history.

Why has Ireland always been so completely irrelevant?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloping_Hogan
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Portugal kicked off the Age of Discovery
That was Spain, retard.
This is elementary school history.
Fuck off.

Also, Ireland is not "irrelevant". They are too close to Engl*nd.

name 1(one) thing latvia did for anybody

At least Ireland and the Irish are distinct in America, lots of our cops and low-wage workers are of Irish decent

>Why has Ireland always been so completely irrelevant?
Because Britain kept it a withered member of the empire.
The Irish have done nothing in America but feed corrupt political machines and pollute our cities. The anglo/scottish derived people from the north of ireland, on the other hand, did produce some great men, like Andrew Jackson and John Calhoun.

>That was Spain, retard.
No, Spain was imitating Portugal.
>Portugal gets to India
>Tough shit Spaniard
Then Columbus comes along and suggests a different route than the Portuguese route.

Oh gee OP, idk. Maybe because Ireland was conquered and held as a subject colony by the British for centuries?

real stumper you got there

American politics were always corrupt.

I swear there's never been a Veeky Forums thread about Ireland that wasn't made as an excuse for shitposting.

T.retarded

portugal started it by sailing across the african coast

It's a tiny resourceless bog that spent centuries as several fractured kingdoms which often sided with invaders for personal gain. it then spent centuries under incredibly inept rule from england- iridh rebellions were almost all in response tk retarded english rule and a wish for more autonomy, the whole "brits out" is mostly a modern invention.
The irixh regardless were always a nation of scholars and warriors, despite spending a long time. being fucked over by utterly inept enlish rulers.

they were never going to be a major player. They did okay considering, I guess. Mighta been different if the post clontarf succession crisis never happened.

Irish folklore and mythology is very prominent in the fantasy genre
Also Irish writers like Bram Stoker invented Dracula

Ever heard of Scandinavia?

They invented jeans.
Latvia: 1
Eireland: 0

Given how many people wear jeans, they've had a huge influence

> Western European country
> Latvia
Learn to read.

> the whole "brits out" is mostly a modern invention.
Is this true? Weren't all the rebellions basically telling the British to fuck off

Apart from the United Irishmen Rebellion and the War of Independence, not really. Most of them were about wanting to force the English to be less retarded in their governance.

A major point of contention in the Williamite War in Ireland for example was trade. The Earl of Tyrconnell had repeatedly petitioned the English government to allow Ireland to control its own exports and imports. His formulation would actually have increased revenue for both Ireland and England and probably resulted in the bettetment of the population of both countries.

Westminster refused, simply because they didn't want to give Ireland any autonomy.

Almost all of Ireland's big rebellions in History were in response to english retardation.

Not even "muh oppression", it was simply that England's running of Ireland was so woefully gormless that the people grew to despise it. The "lol we genocided catholics" meme is just a meme, seeing as Protestants have pretty much always been a massive minority in Ireland and despite sweeping changes to try and change that the HUGE majority of Irish people stayed Catholic.
England's """rule""" over Ireland was basically a big fella poking a slightly smaller fella with a big stick and getting grumpy when he wouldn't dance. Had England given Ireland the level of autonomy they wanted they'd probably still be in the union desu, separatism makes up a very small amount of their rebellions. Even during the War of "Independence" the famous line " In my opinion it gives us freedom, not the ultimate freedom that all nations desire and develop to, but the freedom to achieve it." which was basically a case of "whether we want to be independent or not let us choose you faggots."

It makes posts and threads where English/British people act smug and superior over Irish people so weird since there simply was never a time when England can claim to have competently BFTO Ireland. Even Cromwell's memeing of the Island was horrendously fumbled and awkward. All of England's "conquering" and rule of Ireland has been one big inept, mishandled clusterfuck which most British people ignore or try to revise for sake of embarrassment while the Irish just sit there like one of Josef Fritzel's kids when he leaves the dinner table for a piss.

>it's another faggot ass Briton tries to make an anti-irish thread only to be met with Bogniggers and non-bogniggers pointing out his shit logic

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

Lmao, is this how you cope?

>at one point continental courts were so full of Irish scholars that natives complained about it
>irrelevant

Why would I need to cope? I'm not Irish. Most British people are well aware of this too. The only people who are so fiercely in denial about England's interactions with Ireland are those fags in Ulster, and anyone who takes their word on basically anything deserves to be laughed it.

But if you look at almost every single rebellion the end goal is pretty much always just increased autonomy or something, very few rebellions were actually about ending English rule. Even Hugh O'Neill, who's rebellion almost brought us to financial ruin wasn't about throwing us out but rather to stop us bullying the irish catholic septs.

The only wars I can think of which were about throwing us out were those under Wolfe Tone and I guess the War of Independence, but even then the WoI could be argued to have stemmed from a want for increased autonomy within the Union.

tl;dr - Ireland would almost certainly still be part of the Union had we not been so autistic in handling them. I guess we needed to practice for Empire building somewhere bigger than wales tho desu

>The irixh regardless were always a nation of scholars and warriors
Every single nation on the planet has had "scholars and warriors" in it, dipshit. Your "WE WUZ KANGZ" post is worthless and stupid, just like you.

But Irish were renowned for their scholars, at one point there was one in pretty much every court in Europe.

>source: your ass

Brief History of Ireland (Richard Killeen)
The Flowering of Ireland (Katharine Scherman)
The Island of Saints and Scholars (Sean McMahon)

Again, nobody's pretending anywhere that Ireland was of great importance or that it was the centre of anything at any point, but anglos being insecure about them are always a bit odd.

>heh... don't believe me? just read this entire book
>not gonna do it? looks like I win again kid

Ireland was a part of Britain

>multiple people say a thing
>"lol, sources?"
>list sources
>"um, no?"
Thanks for the bump, as it stands OP accidentally made a "lol england are shit at ruling" thread. Correct it or leave it as it, my guy.

You are why Veeky Forums is retarded

Heh... another internet debate won *chalks up another score on the board next to his PC*

Maybe they are good at music, which is only irrelevant to the complete fool

Why are micks so easily triggered bros?

And yet it was Spain which sacked Aztec Empire with mere 300 soliders a mere 34 years after Columbus discovered America. Tough shit Portufag.

>autonomy is good in the long run
Except Blair devolved Scottish goverment, but they can still vote on purely English matters whilst we can’t vote on purely Scottish matters making both sides want to leave the union
Source?
>implying ostland isn’t the border of western civilisation
/s

>Source?
The Irish in Early Medieval Europe: Identity, Culture and Religion by Roy Flechner, Sven Meeder (eds), 2016

>Belgium
Yeah stopped an Anglo-German war
Technically Germany could be removed from human history, the Germans instead being unified under Austria would cause just as many problems as historically
Andorra and the other Iberian republic could be removed from history, Monaco as well
With Switzerland burgundy doesn’t fall when it does, but it would have eventually fallen due to Charles the Bold’s flaws
Norway disappearing could have led to Denmark and Sweden making Danelaw and Harald Hardrada
Luxembourg also didn’t achieve much
Slovenia could also disappear if you think that’s western, because austria is western but Bohemia is Central European
Ireland’s irrelevant because it’s geography is shit, not fertile enough to create large urban communities without import, which is important to research and civilisation. The Irish conquest of northern Britain isn’t anything major because it’s tribals killing tribals

Why does Ireland have so many Pakis, you left the commonwealth before 46
Also do you know a history version of Sci-huh which lets you read papers for free

>relevant

Invented modern chemistry

>inb4 irish monk greentext

>post source
>okay *posts source*
>lmao kid you expect me to read a book? Haha this is fucking Veeky Forums I meant give me an image macro
I h8 you

A shitty decentralised system of government followed by tyrannical English rule that made most of the population into dirt poor and illiterate peasants.

Are you kidding me dawg? Ireland punches well above its weight in literature and science.

Irish have Low IQ

Hugh O'Neill wanted a relative of Philip II of Spain to become King of Ireland.

Unironically true.

ulster scotch descendents are all fat cousin fucking hillbillies while irish americans are among the highest earning

>ostland
retard

>heh you expect me to quote the specific text that backs up my point? lmao nah kid this is Veeky Forums, you need to read the entire thing and then get back to me ;) looks like I win again

>The mean IQ is normalized
>I don't understand the maps I'm posting
You are a fucking idiot.

>this post
>that picture
I feel bad for you man

>that giving up

>Why does Ireland have so many Pakis
It doesn't.

>Forgetting that Ireland was a place of knowledge, art and literature during the Dark Ages and early Medieval era
>Forgetting that Irish mercenaries were highly sought after as generals and the like
>Forgetting the Irish contribution to modern physics
etc

There is very little Irish contribution to modern Physics, just Anglo-Irish who are ethnically English

>I don't want to read books
>I won an argument by being so stupid the other person stops talking to me
Damn vro you really got my fuckin noggin a jogging dawg, I'm so glad that Veeky Forums has posters like you to elevate the discourse and to bring rational discussion based on a lust for knowledge to this board.

>just Anglo-Irish who are ethnically English
Cease this meme

It is true, if you're not ethnically Gaelic you're only a meme form of Irish

>muh DEE ENN AYY
>t. mutt

because referencing an entire book as a source to validate your argument is truly some next-level high quality discourse, user

I bet you're also a "race realist" who links 4 hour long youtube videos as "proof"

Ethnicity and genetics aren't the same thing but just being born in Ireland doesn't make you Irish in any meaningful sense.

Most Anglo-Irish did have Gaelic ancestry, normally on their mother's side.

Can we post about how terrible "Irish-Americans" are? Why does like every single fucking white person in the United States claim Irish ancestry?

>This is elementary school history.
lmao, you apparently need to brush up on it

Having some genetic ancestry doesn't make you that ethnicity though

I actually don't
You know it appears to me you're attacking a construction of your mind so as to have an easier time of it. You might could compare it to attacking a man made out of some flimsy material. Straw perhaps?
Maybe you should put down the anime and the video games and read some books sometime user, you won't be so stupid going forward!

To sound exotic and also muh oppression

>Divide and Conqueror

The kikes are it again. The Irish are pretty based despite having an oppression complex

The people that say your argument is invalid because they're too lazy to read or even slightly research a book are retarded, but the people that post books without actually posting page numbers/quotes they are talking about from said books are also retarded.

>divide and counquer
>on fucking Veeky Forums

This is what people mean when they say /pol/ leaking. They don't mean "NOTHING CAN EVER BE POLITICAL", they mean faggots like you. Faggots like you who think that anything that is even REMOTELY critical of a european country is some massive conspiracy. It's a fucking history board. People fucked up in history. Some countries fucked up other countries. Some people were good at things, some people were bad at things. People like to discuss this.

People who make these threads blatantly bashing a person/country/group are usually IN that group and just wanting to bait a discussion about it. You are a faggot. Your opinions and personality are spoonfed to you by an imageboard. I don't know what went so wrong in your life that lead you to this point, but I must urge you to please truly become a part of Veeky Forums by offing yourself as soon as possible.
For the future of your race, you need to remove yourself from the gene pool.

IT WAS SARCASM NIGGER

>Irish generals
Proofs I can read?

>call you out on something that you actually did
>b-b-b-but s-strawman!
You're not even making sense anymore. Are you delirious after getting blown the fuck out so hard?

After Cromwell many Irish commanders would leave Ireland and become generals to many nations like France, Spain, Portugal. For example there's this man en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galloping_Hogan
>The Williamite war continued until the Treaty of Limerick was signed in October 1691. But Galloping Hogan refused to accept the Treaty and carried on the struggle for a further six months finally leaving Ireland with the last contingent of Wild Geese to sail from Cork in late Spring, 1692. Years later he ended his career as a senior officer in the Portuguese army.[4] Galloping Hogan left Ireland for France where he became a General in the French Army. In 1706 he was forced to leave France because of killing a fellow officer in a duel in Flanders. He fled France for Portugal where he continued his military career.

>In 1712, he led the Portuguese Army against the Spanish at the Battle of Campus Maior. He remained in Portugal until his death and reared a distinguished family whom descendants of which still live in Portugal to this day.

>while irish americans are among the highest earning
lmao

Kill yourself you illiterate faggot

Look at this salt

Jeans come from genoa

Awful lot of goalshifting going on there, m80

How is he wrong?

Britbong IQ is wholly raised by foreigners lmao

Ethnically English hahahahahahaha

It should be noted that the man who did the iq test for the Irish used Dublin school children.

Maybe because they were too much isolated no?

Ireland gave the world tartan cloth, ans preserved western civilization during the dark ages. see the book 'How the Irish Saved Western Civilization'. Difficult to refute.

>Give source
>Sheeeit nigga you know I can't read

This guy is absolutely correct. You shouldn't send someone to the library in the middle of a Veeky Forums thread unless he asked specifically for book recommendations.
Especially not in the middle of a brief argument against someone asking for sources. But if you have to, at least link him the relevant pages of it.

Feeding Tammanny hall sure helped things, you mngoloid

>tartan cloth
Celtic doesn't equal Irish you retard.

He's absolutely right
9/10 of great irish are of english descent
Yeats, Shaw, Swift, Sterne, Berekeley, Goldsmith, Beckett
Whoops, there goes 99% of "Ireland's" famous great literature

Yeats was a massive Gaelophile, I don't think it's fair to lump him in with the others

>Belgium
>history
less history than fucking Canada

Doesn't make him of low irish stock

>Ethnic Brits count among their number - the most distinguished individuals in human history
>The largest non native diasporas are potato niggers and inbred pakistanis.
"Britbong IQ is wholly raised by foreigners lmao"

It's clearly bait dude.
Don't feed him

Holy fucking kek what is going on in this thread? I didn't realise it was so easy to trigger the bogniggers of Veeky Forums