Was he an American hero?

Best general of the war.

>face a foe of far inferior resources
>win only with high casualties
>spend the rest of your days as a dupe for big business
>le national hero face

>only high casualties
Nigga you what

Also there is a good reason for the high casualties. The AoNV had the home field advantage, they knew the terrain. They also had, by 1864, become experts at building breastworks and trenches. Keep in mind that Grant kept trying to flank around Lee and eventually managed to succeed in doing so, making Lee dig in at Petersburg, essentially dooming the South. Also keep in mind Lee lost a higher percentage of his army.

There was no way the Overland campaign was going to be anything other than a bloodbath, Grant was the only man who could have won it however.

>Grant was the only man who could have won it
Oh, my sides

A campaign into Virginia in 1864? Yes absolutely, nearly every other Union general would have run at the Wilderness.

>won a battle with more than twice as many men
Holy shit, fucking galaxy brain

>lol you won with more men so that means you are not a good general
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

The confederates in the eastern front had a history of winning battles like that overwhelmingly

It doesn't mean you're good. It just isn't proof of it.

>>winning the Western theater and then doing in a single campaign what other Union generals could not do in three years
>not a good general
What did he mean by this?

> Butcher Grant
> American Hero
World Hero more like making sure there are less of you

>winning the Western theater
With huge casualties. There isn't anything impressive about grinding down a small population with scarce resources.
>

>World Hero more like making sure there are less of you
This always makes me cringe since Sherman would be called a redneck today and has more in common with the confederates of the day than with whatever recent immigrant is spamming this stuff

He didn't get the name "Butcher Grant" because he killed Southerners but rather because of the misconception that all he knew how to do was launch futile assaults and getting his own men killed.

Don't turn a somewhat decent Civil War thread into shitflinging you autistic Sherman poster.

Real american hero with GI joe and kung-fu dick.

I was refering to grant killing of as many americans as possible on both sides thank you butcher grant!

t. southern inbred

He is not even wrong. Sherman was one of the most lenient Union generals and got angry whenever "Marching Through Georgia" was played

cope

Don't you dare try to pit them against each other, you whore, their friendship was pure and true!

>Despite being caught unprepared by the attack, Sherman rallied his division and conducted an orderly, fighting retreat that helped avert a disastrous Union rout. Finding Grant at the end of the day sitting under an oak tree in the darkness and smoking a cigar, Sherman felt, in his words, "some wise and sudden instinct not to mention retreat". In what would become one of the most notable conversations of the war, Sherman said simply: "Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?" After a puff of his cigar, Grant replied calmly: "Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow, though."[52] Sherman proved instrumental to the successful Union counterattack of April 7, 1862. At Shiloh, Sherman was wounded twice—in the hand and shoulder—and had three horses shot out from under him. His performance was praised by Grant and Halleck and after the battle, and he was promoted to major general of volunteers, effective May 1, 1862.
I read this entry once in a while to cheer myself up

Go look at the numbers, Confederates in the West got thrashed repeatedly with low-moderate Union casualties.

Their worst theater, and probably due to inferior numbers

You can't be implying Shiloh was an easy victory

Shiloh was sheer luck

This is exactly what I mean. This story is like straight out of a movie. There was another time, in Chattanooga I believe, where they had an argument over a chair that basically went:

"Take that chair, Sherman."
"Oh no, Grant, that's the chair of honor. That belongs to you, sir."
"Oh no, I insist, you're older and I respect you."
"Well, ok. If you insist c: "

It's so refreshing when placed in context. It's a civil war and the country is torn apart, but then there are these two men who seem like polar opposites and yet they are so goddamn polite to each other.

Years later someone shared an article with Sherman that just dredged up the late Grant's alcoholism, and Sherman wrote the guy paragraphs back explaining why it was bullshit. It's so goddamn pure.

I demand more memes of this.

I hope you know it wasn't just them, user, it was the etiquette of the times.

>special pleading

Nah, Lee was though. Army of northern Virginia was based

For special circumstances

It's like none of the Grant haters realize that an army with more soldiers/the army launching the offensive is going to have higher casualties. Fighting a defensive war is much easier than an offensive one you inbred fucks.
Number of armies captured by Grant: 3 (Fort Donelson, Vicksburg, Appomattox)
Number of armies captured by Lee: ZERO

Yes. He beat us when we had basically already lost the war, but he did it well and he did it with honor. Also, unlike Sherman whose only claim to fame was riding Grants coattails, Grant was actually a talented commander.

>Fighting a defensive war is much easier
Especially when you outnumber, outgun, and outspend the enemy

Actually Sherman's claim to fame is burning Atlanta to the fucking ground

He's making the exact same face

Quantity is a quality of its own. Any good general knows this

And Charleston

Ok, he wasnt the best Union general, let alone the war.

Yes, as we all know, Lee was always on the defensive. Some people even argue if he fought more aggressively, he might have won the war.

I am woefully ignorant when it comes to American history, but that is a great photo

Other way around, Lee was much too reckless with the limited resources available to the South, and his constant demand of more troops, more artillery, and more supplies deprived the Confederates in the Western Theater of resources needed to fight off the Union advances there.

Lee could have held the army of the Potomac until 1870, but that wouldn't have changed the fact that the Army of the Cumberland was working it's way towards Richmond the long way.

>a 19th century sociopath would be called a redneck today

damn...

Will Russell Crowe play grant in the inevitable biopic?

He's on the $50 bill so someone must consider him a hero.