ATG squats

Is ATG a meme?

t-nation.com/training/real-science-of-squat-depth

I'm honestly confused now. I was going to majorly lower my squat weight because I could only go to slightly below parallel, but apparently ATG is a literal meme and a "full squat" (as described in SS) is this slightly below parallel position, rather than ATG?

Shit, some pages talking about the "benefits" of ATG Don't even show true atg, but this slightly below parallel position!

>but this slightly below parallel position!

That's literally the lowest she can go though

What is actually described as a "full squat"

Its not referring to the image, thata clearly atg. Its referring to the topic in the post; the slightly below parallel full squat.

1. Do you do weightlifting ?

Then do atg

2. Do you do lifting ?

Go slightly below parallel

3. do you lift for fun

Pick what fits right and stick to it as long as it's below parallel

"The depth of an Olympic squat should not even be a topic of discussion, but because there has and continues to be discussion among coaches and athletes in sports outside of weightlifting, it warrants at least clarification: proper depth is full depth; full depth means full depth. Full depth is not parallel, it is squatting to the lowest position possible without surgical alteration of body parts while maintaining correct posture" - Greg Everett

low bar squat has different depth

Just do what is comfortable for you that is below parallel. Everyone has different mobility and going deep AF is only really needed for olympic lifters. Stop fucking caring about all this shit and add weight to the bar *WITHOUT* quarter squatting.

all squats are a meme des', they're an okay exercise but you don't HAVE to include them in your routine

leg press is better for quad hypertrophy, hip thrusts are better for glute hypertrophy, compound movement are basically just high-speed cardio

ATG = Ass to Gastrocnemius

>compound movement are basically just high-speed cardio

what am i reading.png

Again, thighs slightly below parallel.

Blaha is a proponent of ATG and checking you ego at the door
therefore i am too

Isolation exercises of course have more impact on the specific muscle they isolate, but as a compound exercise the squat is great, you faggot.

That is hideous, this is literally a trick used by twinks so that they don't lift pathetic weights all the time, DISGUSTING!

Yea do 3 movements to mimic one

Ass to grass is good for low weight, but I've learned the higher you go the worse it is for you.

High weight = Go parallel
Low weight = Ass to grass

This is primarily because you are more likely to put pressure on your lower back going ass to grass, and also can hurt yourself by bouncing when you reach the bottom for momentum.

T. Fit officer

you only go to the depth you can achieve without your lower back rounding. that's the only thing to base the depth on, really.

for 99.9% ppl this will be at or below parallel, but there's some genetic outcasts that can't even hit parallel before they round because of their physiology

hitting depth just means hitting parallel, or slightly below parallel, everything after that is more of a "bonus" than anything. do it if you can, if not don't worry about it

>stop caring about good form and damaging rom
>just lift shit bruh who cares lmao

going a2g is a pissing contest that insecurefags use to try and silently feel superior to their fellow gym goers.

Unless you're gonna lift competitively, just get decent depth and tut

No it's not a meme.
In low bar squats, ATG is just below parallel, going any lower will make your knees go forward and now it's a high bar squat, not a low bar anymore.
In high bar and front squats, ATG is the lowest you can possibly go for the biggest ROM for your quads.

wrong

Correct me, then.

Reminder that this is proper squat form.

Reminder not to fall for the low bar squat meme

Reminder that if you're incapable of squatting like this then it's because your mobility sucks because of decades of sitting unnatural on a chair

Reminder that a toddler has more respect than an egotistical retard like you who thinks people care about the illusion you give off by doing good mornings and quarter rep low bar squats

Reminder that Olympic High Bar Squats and Olympic Front Squats are the only proper way of squatting with weightlifting

If you disagree, you're a dumb American who has his head far up his ass. Shut up and work on your mobility.

proper unweighted form*

big difference budster :)

Godly ankle mobility, what kind of stretches does that toddler do?

>that
>good ankle mobility
it's actually not that particularly great his knee is just over his toes it's his hips that are mobile

>other than hand placement, there's a difference between squatting and squat exercise

>knees over toes meme

I thought this meme died

my .02 is that I was going a2g and feeling it all in my quads

when i did slightly below parallel i could feel it in my core, lower back, glutes, and hamstring as well. the "bounce" also helped me put up more weight as well. i do slightly below parallel because i'm trying to get generally stronger and i want braphog gains

Explain his image please

that's not even an argument. it's basically just "I'm right because I say so"

? that's where his knee is look at the picture

i didn't say anything about how it shouldn't track any further over the toes which is what you are thinking i impled

Toddlers have completely different proportions to a fully grown adult you utter moron.

viral marketing for a video game iirc

But I am right because I say so.

Also I was referring to another expert in the matter of the depth of the squat.

ass to grass is just a saying you fucking autist it doesnt literally mean put your ass on the floor

Babies also have more bones because they haven't all fused yet.

there's nothing tight about the first pic you posted, budster :)

>What are ratios?

ATG is a meme. High-bar vs low-bar (vs front), aka back angle, is what actually matters

Just squat as low as you can go without pain.

If that is not at least parallel then you need to work on form and mobility.

If you don't have the mobility to go atg, you don't go atg. You won't have good form, and it will be more damaging. You can't be retarded enough to not understand basic concepts as this, surely?

i know youre trolling but /ic/ checking in to let you know proportions change drastically as you age

Yes exactly. Babies have different ratios to fully grown humans. Long torso, short limbs and a relatively larger head give them the ability to squat like that. A man who is 6'5 with long legs can not squat like that.

Well you can stretch to improve on that a lot. I stretch every workout a lot to make sure I can ATG without any back rounding.

Lanklets, when will they learn?

I'm 6'6" and atg high bar 270kg.

Oly crew checking in

Don't weightlifting shoes help a lot with that kind of squat in the pic?

if you can't squat ass to grass BAREFOOT you are a defective human being

It should be:
>1. Do you want to target glutes?
Do ATG

>2. Do you want to target quads
Do parallel

>3. Do you want to target full posterior chain and quads
Do ATG

>squat
>get hemorrhoids
>stop squatting
>hemorrhoids go away

never doing that shit exercice ever again in my life

It's fun and all but if you don't do oly lifting you're better off slightly below parallel.
Also, most people can't go ATG without weeks or even months of stretching and mobility work

ATG is a meme for anyone except oly lifters. They don't go ATG because it is better for leg development. They go ATG so that they don't have to pull the clean as high. They can clean more weight if they can catch it lower.

Everyone else is better off stopping just below parallel.

>3pl8 x 3 ATG squats
Feels good
pretend its a meme though