Did these guys ever contribute anything of worth? What's the point of them?

Did these guys ever contribute anything of worth? What's the point of them?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/scottus-eriugena/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So what does it say?

This isn't a videogame or a novel. A country doesn't need to have a purpose to exist other than history and culture that binds the populace together.

hmmm

>The Untold Story
>Untold Story
>Untold
So, it's fanfiction. Gotcha.

Didn't you just try and make this thread already?

Also is a shit book and shouldn't be believed. It's basically just a glorification of "yeah there was a bunch of irish thinkers all over europe and they made a bunch of records and shit imagine if EVERYONE ELSE lost all their records and Ireland didn't lol"

>Post
>Everyone calls you a retard, thread descends into shitposting
>Panic and abandon thread
>Try to remake the thread, post in it several times
>Probably about to be laughed out of your own thread again

Go back to work Nigel.

NS WATP GSTQ

Odds are if you met a European who spoke Greek during the medieval period they were either Greek themselves or Irish. This had a pretty massive influence on European philosophy and theology, where Irish philosophers came up with all sorts of kooky gnostic ideas, to the point where "Irish porridge" became a byword for "confusing or esoteric theological theory".

They tried to save Europe from the tyranny of pants

Ahahahha the delusion

Have you literally anything to suggest otherwise? Eirugena's work and life are well documented and easy to find and source.

Yes I do, Greek inscriptions were found even during the late middle ages in all of the former Byzantine territories in Europe

Whoa... so this is the power of paddy autism...

It's not something that's hard to verify, just read the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy article on Eriugena

plato.stanford.edu/entries/scottus-eriugena/

Read this

Moran, P. (2012). Greek in early medieval Ireland. In A. Mullen & P. James (Eds.), Multilingualism in the Graeco-Roman Worlds (pp. 172-192). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/CBO9781139012775.009

>Show me evidence to suggest that most of the Greek speakers in Europe weren't either Greek themselves or Irish Scholars
>Well as you can see here, in territories held by byzantines (including greece) there are greek inscriptions

What the fuck man

>learned Irishmen could read New Testament Greek to a reasonable standard, a uniqueness among early medieval European scholars
>Classical Literature and Learning in Medieval Irish Narrative, Ralph O'Connor, Boydell & Brewer Ltd, 2014

Centuries after those territories were not part of the Byzantine empire anymore, retard.

>Odds are if you met a European who spoke Greek during the medieval period they were either Greek themselves or Irish.

Read the chapter "Greek learning in Ireland and Carolingian Evidence for Scholarship in Greek and Virgilian Studies" in Heroic Saga and Classical Epic in Medieval Ireland by Brent Miles, if you can't stomach a whole book.

And several of those territories bear striking resemblence to maps of Greek colonies, as well as noting the huge Greek exodus to italy in the latter half of the 15th Century, particularly to Venice and Florence. This is noted to have contributed to the Renaissance.

All you're showing us is that evidence suggests that there were Greeks outside of Greeks, likely Greeks who wrote shit.

meant for

Are you going to read any of the sources being suggested to you?

No you fucking retard, Greek texts and inscriptions were used by principalities all over Italy and the Greek alphabet was used well up to the 13th century in some of them

not him but it's a dumb feelgood meme book meant to appeal to paddies. It asserts that Irish monks copied and preserved many works in Ancient Greek and Latin, and it saved democracy so that it could be reborn after the medieval period. Except they weren't the only copies, and Ireland really did nothing to end theocracy and feudalism in Europe.

I bet you're american. Americans have to turn everything into a competition. Most nations in the world really haven't contributed much

> only Americans hate and shit on the Irish
retard

>durr what did x small country contribute
>hurr what goes on in x small country? I'm a retard please spoonfeed me
how about read a book faggot

Prove him wrong

Calling them a tribe of desert nomads is retarded. Like calling Aryans a tribe of Black Sea Nomads. At some point, Jews stopped being Nomad around similar times other groups did.

Why are there so many threads about Ireland?

It's a fertile ground for shitposting, you have IRA posters, UDF posters, Cromwell posters, Irish aren't white posters, Dixieboos complain about getting beaten by paddies, Irish-Australians shitposting about fuck Britain, the list goes on

Dude wtf?
What are you on about? I literally only posted that brainlet pic.

Don't forget about BorĂº posters

Could do with more BorĂºposting tbqh

neat

Agreed

They have a faggot prime minister and over 70% of population support faggot marriage. Le most "progressive" catholic country on Earth!

I think Brazil "10% of our metro's male population are gay" or Spain "Gay Marriage in 2004" take that honour.

I dont care about faggots and didnt vote in any of that, but at least they have to shut up now.
I'd say its a lot better than having a tranny prime minister with a woodchipper for a fanny and 70% of the population who believe in creationism