Who else here Orthodox Christian? Trying to get Lenten compliant food tips

Who else here Orthodox Christian? Trying to get Lenten compliant food tips.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KKhhcUnfajs
youtube.com/watch?v=WAbegI_drqs
greekboston.com/religion/fasting-rules/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Im Baptist
oh well, at least you arent catholic

A little late for lent isn't it?

What about Wednesdays and Fridays...

I wouldn't refer to those as lenten. But basically you just eat shit. Your best bet is to find some non meat sources of protein like beans, lentils, nuts, quinoa etc. Vegetarian Indian cooking might be a good thing to look into.

Reminder that Veeky Forums is a Catholic board.

Shrimp, kalamari, anything without a spine

T. Greek orthodox

if you're serious about your faith then don't go looking for anything tasty. embrace the suck

beans, quinoa, green vegetables,

Is Orthodoxy pozzed like all the other denominations or are they still keeping the faith?

Remind to stop touching yourself if your Christian.

Jambalaya. Just replace the sausage with kalamari or something and replace the rice with quinoa.

keeping

t. Antiochian orthodox

friendly reminder that saul-cum-paul was a lying hebe.

Last Lent was brutal I forgot to add in healthy fats. Subpar protein and fat intake dropped my test though the floor felt like I had Alzheimer's.

Get some almonds and macadamia nuts to go with all the spinach stuffed mushrooms you can eat. And then eat shrimp til their gross to look at.

Hi, I'm an atheist but I want to get into Orthodox Christianity for the aesthetic.

Got any tips?

Evangelicals have the least appealing aesthetics out of any branch of Christianity. Gross.

Look up "Greek Orthodox Church near me" call them or go there on Sunday and talk to a priest about it after the liturgy. If you want to convert be willing to accept Jesus into your heart and don't just do it for the aesthetic.

Greek Orthodoxy is has mostly stayed true to its roots and there are many English speakers. Russian Orthodoxy is mostly in Russian and old church slavonic. Other Orthodox are more similar to Catholics.

Go fuck yourself. How dumb do you need to be in order to fall for orthodox christianity meme? Even over here in russia young people don't fall for it. Its a sick meme. Can't say much about greek orthodoxy, but russian orthodox church is probably the most corrupt church in the entire world, even fucking Vatican is less corrupt.

I'm willing to be open to the idea of God, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the aesthetics of your religion that drew me in.

>not joining the one true Church, founded by Christ and headquartered at the Vatican
Never gonna make it

I don't see how any self respecting man would bend knee to the authority of the current Catholic Pope.

>tfw greekfag
>tfw more than 5 churches within walking distance from me
>tfw last time ive been into church was many many years ago

This orthodox priest is the new meme in Greece. He is protesting against gay pride parades, he kicks the shit out of ATM machines telling they are "satan's devices" and he spitted on a jewish momuent about the holocaust (for which he got arrested)

youtube.com/watch?v=KKhhcUnfajs

youtube.com/watch?v=WAbegI_drqs

Yet it is I who got dubs. Your move, sedevacantists

Roca > MP
MP is corrupt.
Not a Greek fag, just think that that's the best starting point for a person looking to convert.

Can't argue with those results

Go back to /LGBT/

Orthodoxy or death

Greek orthodox here. Maybe I'm wrong but the orthodox faiths are all interchangeable in that the only thing that is largely different is the language. Have had many Ethiopian orthodox and Russian orthodox people attend our church due to it being the only orthodox church in the area and, as I remember, they're still allowed communion.

It's a nice religion and very traditional which, given the changing world, is welcome stability for me. To the atheist that wants to join please consider it but only if it's for more than the aesthetic. In terms of God look at it this way. We live in a causal universe. Something necessarily had to start it, and it makes a lot of sense for something existing outside the boundaries of the universe to have begun it.

Deus vult!

Good post.

>that one time jesus started a religion

But he didnt

You're thinking of Veeky Forums
Veeky Forums would probably be /muscular Christianity/ and last time I checked, Veeky Forums was Orthodox.

Would peanut butter be a good fast-friendly protein and bulk source?

Veeky Forums is about as gay a Muslim board as you can find.
If you disagree it's because you're a fucking newfag

Keeping the faith. That's why I joined.

>tfw lifting to choral music in my garage with only a lamp on in the corner for dat dere ambience and meditative state
>tfw neighbor walks in through a bay and asks for help moving his refridgerator but halfway through his sentence he stops and gives me a weird look because all he sees is me shirtless and hears what sounds like satanic chants to him
>tfw rumor going around street that i'm a devil worshipper and the next day someone invites me to their church
>decline because theyre filthy protestants

Visit a church for sure. Tbqh I was an atheist before I discovered Orthodoxy, and I slowly accepted it. But also definitely read "12 things I wish I'd known" it's an article on what to expect on your first visit to an Orthodox Church.

I unironically completely agree with this. Bump.

>tfw when want to join the Church
>Nearest Orthodox Church is 300km away

I want this to be true.

>it makes a lot of sense for something existing outside the boundaries of the universe to have begun it.
That doesn't make more sense at all

>I know this feel.

You're correct, the major orthodox churches are all in Communion with one another. You could walk into a Russian church and partake of the sacraments without doing anything wrong.

Yep, all Orthodox Churches are part of one church, all with the same theology. Only difference might be in language used, but my church pretty much just uses English.

On big fast its usually spagetti with tomato sauce and beans, hot sauce and chips.
PB&Js and fruits and veggies and bread. Also almond milk.
Lost 20 pounds between the Orthodox fasts and quitting sugar.

Thanks father.
Also
>you're

Smarter men than I have explained it more eloquently. Look into the concept of the prime mover if you want to more know. Essentially, being a causal universe means every cause has an effect. Necessarily, every effect also needs a cause. Following the total causal link back to the beginning presents a conundrum because the very beginning of the universe presents a situation in which there is an effect (first instant of the universe) without a discernable cause. One strain of thought is that there exists, outside the bounds of our universe, a prime mover who set things in motion to put in as simply as possible. It makes sense to me. If it doesn't make sense to you maybe look up actually philosophy on the subject if you're interested. If not, I did my part in at least bringing it up but it's your choice at the end of the day and I respect it

Kek, American evangelicals mean well but trend towards brainletism

I can't argue with this logic.

Lift for the Lord.

So does mine and it pisses me off. The service sounds so much better in greek and it loses some of the traditionalist appeal by using more English

Stop being Christian

I'm pretty sure that this level of autism is heresy.

Varg has spoken, so fuck off

And yet your post ends in an 8.

>8 - Stop vargposting
Ironic

Calamari is meat m8

Even on days when fish isn't allowed shrimp and other spineless animals are.

It's completely acceptable if the aesthetic drew you in. It's just that you should probably be open to the idea of God, since it's pretty much the entirety of what Orthodoxy is about. Definitely visit a church and try it for yourself though!

I actually hadn't heard about this, is it a practice specific to Greeks/Russians/another division of the Church?

From an outside perspective it might seem aesthetic but remember that more than half of the year is fasting

stop being pagan

John Chrysostom said "come forth and feast, those who have observed the fasts and those who have not." Observing the fasts isn't required, though it does help develop spriritual maturity. Also, remember that the other half of the year is feast days.

Well, kinda not really. Exiled russian empire/early soviet union era priests weren't any less corrupt than modern ones. Of course MP is more corrupt, because it effectively consists of people who cooperated with bolsheviks and now cooperate with the current cleptocracy.

I'm Russian Orthodox but I'm pretty sure the rules are the same everywhere.

greekboston.com/religion/fasting-rules/

Only know about greek portion myself but this is what we do. First 40 day fast I did I ate so much shrimp and kalamari I was sick of it halfway through

If you want to go to communion fasting is pretty important.

Should I contact someone there first? I wouldn't know what to do at a mass.

Have you ever been baptized in water? If you have you can stay for the entire liturgy. Some stricter churches don't allow non Christians in the church after a point in the liturgy.
But wait until after communion when the priest is holding a cross that people kiss. Go after most people have gone and ask about converting.

yes, also almond butter is excellent

Yeah, I was baptized as a child

Perfect. Have you found the church you will go to?

I actually found one that does Into to Orthodoxy classes online, which I think is perfect

Is Greek hard to learn?

>for the aesthetic

plz just kys

But that's a sin

Most likely. Many Greek churches will conduct most of the liturgy in English however.

May God help you on your journey to find the truth.