onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/jphysiol.2003.057711/full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23197410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2375453/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4065556/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I already skipped a run this week, might have to skip another one
feelsbadman

what's the issue my dude

Ran a decent 14k in 1 hour 5 minutes yesterday.

Did my long run today. Early 40something. 13.1 miles in +27 degree heat. +90% humidity. Sub 2hrs.

Monday was cause laziness. Today I might simply not have time (Could have woken up earlier but didn't)
Forgive me father for i have sinned.

I'm glad you're still alive user.

Got me a pair of Hoka Clifton 3 at 1/2 price, so comfy. Long run tomorrow, aw yissssss

Bros. I'm getting bored of just lifting and am looking at doing triathlons, probably just a sprint to start with. Has anyone here managed to do endurance races while maintaining muscle and/or losing a bit of fat? I'm around 5'11 182lbs 12ish% BF and the absolute lowest I'd want to go is 175lbs 8%. I'm not concerned with being competitive, just looking for a challenge

How do I run faster?

Had to miss the last week of runs for popliteus injury

Might not be ready for NYC marathon

Going to have to eat $2,600 in fundraising fees since I can't run

Kill me. Literally kill me, Pete

i walked a mile yesterday. then i ran 3/4 of a mile before i started getting really hot and thought i was dying.

>Feet hurt progressively worse whenever I run
FUCK
I want to run every day but my body won't let me. I'm gonna rest two days for this foot thing to go away, apparently one day wasn't enough.

13 miles on 3 runs this week, my highest mileage since I started. Also doing 3 days strenght training.
Considering that some months ago I was depressed, smoked, drank everyday and did coke ocasionally, I'm doing great. Running might save my ass.
Anyone with a similar story?

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Anyone else fucking hate treadmills?
It seems like I run slower and shorter distances when on a treadmill, I can't get myself hyped/motivated like I can when running outside.

i don't hate them, but i've noticed this. one year, when i was learning how to jog, i ran a mile in under 10 minutes, which made 0 sense to me, because i couldn't maintain a 6mph pace on a treadmill for 10 minutes.

>tfw flat feet

i cant run more than 2.5 miles without getting a headache

ran a mile in under 10 minutes at the local track, i mean.

treadmills are a meme but i'm considering trying them out again to limit my pace for easy runs

Yall should consider jump rope, easier on your knees and burns more calories

Go to a track. Sprint one lap then walk one lap then sprint one lap and walk one lap. Continue until exhaustion.

Gotta lower my three mile time for a fitness test.

A perfect score is 18:00 mins and my best time is 20:48.

I've been alternating long distance three days a week and sprints two days a week to drop my times.

Any other advice lads?

20:48 is a good time. Consider doing some extra ab work and push ups.

My goal is sub 20

>tfw noticed i use my right leg more than my left because its more muscley but when manually try to use my left leg my breathing gets all messed up

aahrhghhg

Lifting again after a log break and doms hit me HARD. Is it a stupid idea to go running with intense squat and diddly doms or am I just making up excuses to skip cardio?

Bought new shoes today so did a easy run, 9km @ 47:23 in the summer evening rain, one of the best runs this year just because of the weather.

Running in the rain is amazing! I don't get why people avoid doing it.

I did too much hill running, now I have achilles tendinitis real bad in my left heel. If this were a just world, you'd be able to heal injuries by pushing yourself harder instead of taking time off.

Just do uphill biking, it has a higher carryover to squatting diddling anyways.

Plus if you do it with HIIT you'll get a leg pump from hell.

Does running kill gains?

It does if you do way too much, since it burns calories way too much your muscles don't get some.
But 2 hours is ok unless you eat like a chinese fucker.

I am getting back to exercising, cause enough of faggotry right. should I bother running (I like it, used to run 10k regularly, was fun) when I am fucking skinny and never managed to get weight?

Guys I'm supposed to run 8.5 km tomorrow.
Last time I ran anything or did anything cardio related was probably 4 months ago. And I barely did 3km (though I stopped because of leg pain, not because I couldn't go further). Also, I've not been to the gym since last month.
My question is: what are the chances I'm actually going to make it?

Strap it up, neck anti-inflammatories like a mofo and limp that bitch to the finish.

>searches
>popliteus injury

oohh fuck that.

>ex-smoker, expothead, bit of a fatty.
>eventually stopped the substances
>dropped some weight with diet
>was cycling "and fit"
>did a run.... 2 miles
>New World of pain
>AndWonder.gif
>oh em gee
>CanIDoThis.user
>Keeps running
>buys shoes
>drops weight
>changes diet
>>No drink, drugs, lean protein, oh my pasta
>cardio-bunny
>carbs are great!
>have to put KT tape on nipples to stop chaffing

One more thing.... I also suffered really bad depression. Real nasty meds I was on too. Now? I dropped the meds (they were ultimately counter productive), and haven't "been depressed" for a long long time.

That runners high? Fucking true.

try using your feet
My turn....
>TFW you search for images of runners online, find clipart of "runners" and think "Hmm, with that long stride you're gonna injure yourself"

>rest day
>wish I was running
>tendons ache
>damn connective tissue

Any quicker way to heal shin splints except rest?
>can't rest because I have training with my hurling team 2-3x per week

I had to taper off running because of an ingrown toenail, and even after surgery it hasn't fully healed. What the FUCK am I supposed to do?

>should I bother running
Yes.

I'll be honest with you user, if you're fitness is still alright then I reckon you can do it. It will be slow and probably a bit painful and will include some walking, but doable. On the other hand, if you've turned into a fat fuck then forget it.

Need to do just over 25 more miles and I'll have run the most miles I ever have in a month. Record is almost bang on 202 whereas I've run about 177 so far this month. Aiming for about 10 tomorrow with hopefully a longer one on Sunday so should easily beat it. Feels good man.

that's because you're not listening to heavy metal on your runs

I CAN'T STAND RUNNING HERE ANYMORE. THE PAVEMENT IS SO FUCKED UP AND IT HURTS MY LEGS REEEEEE

Everytime I run I get like half a mile out and I look down the road and realize how much further I have to go and Im like fuck, and then my legs start getting heavy and my shoulders slouch and Im breathing faster and faster and getting sad
and then Im just jogging there painfully hating my life as my feet slam against the concrete with every step

Please god someone help me tell me how to run

bump

mental exercise. think about something else, like how not to into faggotry.

>I can't get myself hyped/motivated like I can when running outside.

I get views like this when i go out for a run... feels good.

I've been doing couch to 10k for about a month and a half, and ran about 4.5k tonight. Feels good to progress quickly

>I look down the road and realize how much further I have to go and Im like fuck

Actually, this is one of the things that having a fitness watch has helped me get over.

I see my heart rate drop when i feel sluggish, then i realize i should push harder, so i pick up my cadence. i have my garmin set to shorter 1k laps so i get more frequent updates on my split times.

the small things like that are helping me keep up my pace, I run alone, so that's the only thing helping to keep me motivated.

it's helping out a lot.

Well I'm still in good shape, I've done mostly bodyweight exercises instead of going to the gym (too hot to lift heavy weights) so let's hope it's going to be fine.

any recommendations for stretching regimens? i just broke 1hr today and i do some shit set i found on a buzzfeed-tier website, scared for knees and don't want to hurt myself

Been running for half a year a couple of times a week. Can barely run 3km. What am I doing wrong ?

Recovering fatfag here, I've started jogging and this is my progress so far. My pace is consistent since week 4 (about 5 mins per km). Should I work towards 10 k directly after the end of my program or should I wait? Any general advice?

Have you tried magnesium supplements every now and then?

Nice 13km run today with a hangoved, just under an hour which I am happy about, nice gentle pace and finished up fresh as fuck.

Starting to get my kms up as spring is getting close and I have missed longer runs, may do a marathon this year for the firstime.
Is it worth it? Did you feel like you accomplished something?

Ive done a few adhoc half marathons sub 1hr45min where I go for a run and keep going, aint no thang, never gone past 23km, I get bored.

>tfw havent ran in 3 weeks because of flat feet and plantar faciitis

Ok guys Im out now. Lets see if I can run 10km with a short break for drinking (30sec>). Were gonna make it

I just take ibuprofen and keep going

Ice baths, i always have one after a long run

How do I up my VO2 Max, just lots of running?

800m interval repeats.

Because I don't want to stop every 10 minutes to wring out my shirt. The only reason I run in it is for practice in case in does rain on raceday. If I was doing it specfically for fitness, I would say fuck it and do my runs on the treadmill when it rains.

get a waterproof jacket

>wearing a jacket in hot weather even if it is raining
No thanks.

Anyone else training for 1.5 miles in under 11 minutes 11 seconds?

Best way too reach this goal

What's the problem with rain if it's warm then? Surely you don't run in cotton

RAF Bro? I'm trying to do exactly the same thing.

The advice I was going was to do a 3mile run once a week, an interval sprint halfway through the week and then test your 1.5mile run at the end of the week.

Might aswell quit desu

Read my original post. No, I wear polyester. Last week it rained so hard that I had to wring out my shirt 6 times while running my 16 miler.

tfw did 4x 10 minutes with 1 minute walk inbetween yesterday and the first 10 minutes were the toughest. Epinephrine is hell of a drug.

(Couch to 10k first week)

current goal is to reach 12 min 3k again after that aim for sub 1.45 half marathon i guess

>used to run 30 miles a week, 8:00 min/mile
>finally getting back into it
>slowly, but it's there

To make sure I don't fuck my legs up like every other time I try running again I'm doing c25k.

Bigger strides and better form.

>Bigger strides

Solutions to annoying calf cramps while running?

Did you keep hydrated?

Run on the grass, man. It's better for your legs

I found that using military cadence songs helps you with improving your time and your endurance during the run!

If you are just getting into running, follow a couple of and the US Army Rangers or US Navy Seal playlists for almosr instant improvement!

Cadence playlist. Go.

i feel ya bro, i've gone from running every day to every other 2 days, less distance/duration/intensity, and just light walking in the inbetween days. also plenty of warming up on the feet beforehand and after, and those calf stretches

>tfw haven't been able to run for past 3 weeks due to jaw surgery
>tfw I won't be able to run until my jaw fully heals

no greatest joy in the world other than feeling the world ZIP by you in a speed you set yourself with your own body. no treadmill will ever get you that, it's like wearing a condom for sex

Working on my mile time because I want to do JAG. Two weeks ago I hit 12:33, but it went up to 12:55 last week. Tomorrow I'll shoot for 12 flat. I'm down to one walk break, from like 5-6 when I first started training, which accounts for a lot of my gains.

14k in 1 hour 5min? So about 25kmh for an hour?
Didnt know even runners e-stat to feel better

startingstrength.com/article/why-you-should-not-be-running

of course mark's word is not law. you can definitely still make strength gains while doing cardio, but as a beginner you shouldn't do both (unless you're trying to lose weight)

Jesus, it's like Mark has not read any material on why almost every sport does cardio except for a few studies that confirm his view point. Cardio is most important in developing strength because it is the capilliarization that occurs which helps facilitate recovery faster and more efficiently. He talks about dogma yet spouts common bodybuilder dogma that they use to avoid any kind of cardio. He might as well said: "don't do cardio, it ruins muh gainz".

And endurance athletes don't do strength training? More bullshit. I lift heavy three times a week and I've completed four marathons with a PR of 4:02. A guy in my running club can do 1/2/3/4 and has completed a 100 miler in 25 hours.

>endurance athlete
>4 hour marathon

what

>tfw named forrest and Forrest Gump came out a few years after I was born
>always got run forrest run throughout school any work
>hated cardio because was fat and short
>become heavy smoker
>get into lifting, little bit of progress and confidence
>tried hiit on stationary bike yesterday
>have absolutely no endurance for non-lifting activities

God damn it. Tennis shoes also look stupid and goofy.

What do I do /run/?

get good running shoes and start running, in the beginning run really slow, most people run way too fast in the beginning.
If you are overweight, start with some walking, since running may be bad for your joints.
You can try plans like Couch to 5k or just run slowly and increase the distance

running (and cardio in general) is really enjoyable after you build a bit of endurance, and also it's really fun to progress, get PRs and so on

and also make an account on a website like Endomondo or Strava, and upload your runs, walks, rides there, it is really motivating, and it gives you lots of statistics if you like them (I love statistics, so it encouraged me to run more)

also, consider stopping smoking, you will feel better, and running will help you with not smoking too.

Decent running shoes can be gotten for like 50-70 bucks. See how far you can run before you're wheezing for air and chest is burning. Two days later do the sample thing but go a little farther. Repeat every 2-3 days for a few months and it gets easier. Make a circuit that ends near your house or whatever. Sprint the last hundred feet or so.

Source some studies or ill beat you up

>born with flat feet
>parents pay out the ass for them to put some metal nuggies in my feet to fix them
>still don't run

Look up angiogenesis and exercise recovery.

>higher rates of recovery from diseases angiogenesis
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4796623/

>impaired angiogenesis involved in cardiovascular diseases
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4101916/

>exercise induces angiogenesis
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/jphysiol.2003.057711/full

>exercise cited as one way to repair muscle without it getting to the fibrosis state
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23197410

>aerobic exercise helps in muscle recovery due to angiogenesis even into old age
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2375453/

>angiogenesis helps muscle stem cells repair muscle
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4065556/

Great shoe. Pissed the 4s are shit but looking forward to replace my 3s at a reasonable price. What's your mileage so far in em?