Any doctors or medical students here?

Any doctors or medical students here?

Got a blood test and my "C-reactive protein" was at 27,9mg/L, almost three times above the normal range. What does this mean? Will I have a heart-attack?
I'm not even fat, been thin all my life.

Not a doctor, but a RN.

CRP usually has to do with inflammation in the body. Not sure why you are talking about heart attacks?

Did you break your arm or been ill for a long time recently?

I've read it's related to heart diseases
Actually no. Haven't had any injuries.

Maybe it's cancer.

Isnt CRP just the metabolic waste from almost every bodily process?

Med student here. It can mean either an acute inflammation or a chronic inflammation. Not a very specific marker. Elevated CRP levels around 6 to 10 are associated with obesity, hypertension and nicotine addiction. It also translates into increased fat plaque build up, so be on guard for atherosclerosis. Age, any presenting syptoms? Race and sex? Family history of diseases? I'd ultrasound your abdomen and run tests for pancreatitis, hepatitis and a lipidogram just to rule out all subacute inflammations.

And just to be clear, are you feeling unwell? Fever? Respiratory problems? Coughing?

- 24 male
- never smoked
- haven't tested recently but my blood pressure is usually low
- two of my grandparents died of heart attacks but they were already 80
- felt like my immune system was low because of a cold and the doctor asked for a bunch of tests. Only gonna see him next week.
- The unusual things that came up were: 27.9mg/L CRP, 133mg/L AGP, present of giant platelets
- no cytomegalovirus, no HIV.

nothing besides some light sinusitis

Blood morphology, what is your red blood cell count, MCV, white blood count and platelet count? Do you have a percentage of basophiles in your lab results?

Also. Bone pain, yellow skin or yellow eyes and faster onset of exhaustion on exercise? Has a doctor palpated your lymph nodes? Palpated your abdomen to feel for liver or spleen?

Ah, this explains the CRP, but may not be everything to it.

>what is your red blood cell count, MCV, white blood count and platelet count?

everything in normal range
RBC 5,480,000/mm3
WBC 6,500/mm3
MCV 87.6 fl
platelet 405,000/mm3

>Do you have a percentage of basophiles in your lab results?
1%, 65/mm3

>Bone pain, yellow skin or yellow eyes and faster onset of exhaustion on exercise?
nope, nope, well I'm a bit weaker and get tired more easily than I used to when I was 20.

>Has a doctor palpated your lymph nodes?
yes
>Palpated your abdomen to feel for liver or spleen?
no

I'm probably freaking out over nothing yeah, will see

Alright, everything's okay so far. I would suggest luring your doctor for a quick palpation of your abdomen just to be sure. You are in the ripe age to suffer from blood cancers of all sort, but you are not presenting anything and your lab work came up good. Doctors always think type 1 diabetes when exhaustion is mentioned. If you didn't lose weight, pass water as before and haven't suddenly started drinking 6litres of water a day, I'd say it is related to fatigue from perhaps cutting or poor nutrition, in combination with the sinusitis. Get it treated user, it can turn your life into shit. Speaking from my own experience.

will do ano, thanks. appreciate the help, you'll be a great doctor.

>final year med student here
Dude calm down, the guy said it himself he had a damn cold when the blood was taken... that's the reason its a little high... don't worry it means nothing.

>not letting him get ready for Step by helping OP

So you got a blood test but a doctor didn't consult you about the results?

You either live in a third world country or you're an utter moron.

Not that user
>Doctor orders tests
>Do tests
>Call after a few days for results
>Make doctor appointment for consultation on results.

that's how its done in most countries. You can skip calling in for test results and let a doctor explain it immediatly

I'm bored as hell dude, I received a lot of sound fitness advice on this board, might as well help. I'm into immunodeficiencies and haematology. More and more people are born or diagnosed with immunodeficiencies, and I am not talking about HIV in gays. Goes along with low testosterone levels, as higher cortisol levels cause not only that, but also supress proper immunological response, which in turn drags out infections, meaning your 3 day cold turns into a 5 day feverish nightmare.

See shit like this is what gives people hypochondria.

This was a nice friendly thread. Nobody had insulted any body. But then YOU had to come along...

Hear it? You give people hypochondria..

Nahh m8 jk, I know you're right about everything you mentioned, its just really easy to confuse and scare people over the internet because we use medical words and always have a list of all kinds of possible causes in the back of our head its better not to go into too much detail if its not absolutely necessary.

Good luck with your studies. I'm going to be a urologist myself.. hope I can land a residency next year ...

Maybe talk to your doctor about it instead of here?