Veeky Forums goes /out/

Anybody on here go /out/? Hiking, camping, climbing, diving, etc.

Where do you go? How did you get started?

>Where do you go? How did you get started?
Outside. Though the door.

Dirt bike riding and camping in the mountains, sometimes places I'm not suppose to be.

Favorites

Stanislaus Calif.
Trask Mountain Oregon.
A lot of places Rocky Mountains Colorado, I see a lot of trail hippies around 11,000 feet on mountains near Granby.

You can get a basic set up for camping a few days for under $500. Just ask some friends to go with you and bring an ice chest you fill with groceries and beer. You can find maps online and discover the trails that aren't on them while you're there.

If you go into the wilderness of buttfuck nowhere(the best camping places) I would recommend a large caliber hand gun to bring along, moose and bears are not friendly.

I'm very tempted to buy backpacking shit and go out on my own for 2-3 days, but it's a couple hundred dollars to get what one needs

definitely a worthwhile investment if the zombies ever come

I'm waiting for summer to end before going out and hiking/climbing. I know I could always go in the morning, but the weather here is too hot even for then.

if the zombies come and society fails, I don't even want to survive it'd be a massive pain in the ass
yeah the rape may be fun for a while but not worth it

money is just a thing, getting out is important.

I do trail running, hiking, backpacking, fly fishing, and hunting.

I did my first and only technical climb this summer in Zermatt.

Usually I backpack around segments of the AT/PCT.

I fly fish mostly in Georgia and Colorado.

Trail running I do wherever I get the chance, now mostly upstate NY.

I hunt in Georgia, Alabama, and Texas.

I grew up around guns, learned deep sea fishing when I was young, and switched to fly fishing during my late teens. I started trail running this year. I picked up backpacking when I went to college four years ago.

Please congratulate me on just now finishing college I am a very smart boy

richfag detected

I got all around the world climbing really big mountains, have done 5/7 summits. Everest might be next.

Got started when I realized no one gives a shit about your working out in the gym a lot, but if you do some sort of event like a marathon or other spectacle then everyone's excited about it.

Yes, I work hard for my money

I go outside and walk to the gym. Then I go outside of the gym to walk back home.

how tf do you learn to fly fish? My uncle has taken me a few times but I just get pissed off and cant even cast. Fucking makes me want to snap someones neck.
t. pleb MN fisherman

*your parents

You need to spend hours and hours practicing on your lawn with YouTube videos on your phone.

Also go to an Orvis store, they frequently do free casting lessons and then give you a 20% store discount so you can cop some sweet Simms waders afterwards

They're wealthy and I grew up wealthy, yes, but I now work a demanding job to earn enough to allow luxury travel during the few weeks a year I'm not working.

I go wake-boarding and surfing. Good ways to show off gains.

I go hiking and climbing in the Alps.

I go backpacking. started out in scouts years and years ago, and just been doing it ever since

you need to put together a team for backpacking. unless you're experienced, its pretty dangerous to go out on you own. risk of injury is high

i go climbing, im in the southeast but id imagine most places have at least boulders. basically just climb indoors to git gud and meet some folks there to go /out/ with
>bonus points if they have gear you can use

This.
Doing almost anything violates the NAP and will get you and your dog shot.

did somebody say dog?

No sir Mr. ATF sir.
Absolutely no canines here, no sir.

Furthest I've gone is the arctic, the mosquitoes were insane.

>Pic extremely related

WTF MAN

What really gets you is how loud they are

ALL THAT SUNSHINE, FRESH AIR, OPEN SPACE, VEGITATION, FUCK NO, GIVE ME A DIRTY CITY HELLSCAPE!!! I'M FUCKING SERIOUS!!!FACT!!!

Hike every weekend in the summer.

that's a nightmare. how do you stop them from biting you

You can't really, I had a bug net jacket thing but it broke day 3. I tried using bug spray but that only works a little and you'll still get mauled. The only time there was no bugs was after you set up the tent and killed everything inside, but every time you went out it would fill up.

Do you like walk around constantly in a bee keeper suit? Because I would. What the fuck man.

hell no I would lose my mind I hate those little fucks.

what other places have you gone to?

I wore pic related over a tilley cap but it was only so effective. It kept them completely off the face but they'd still get your arms and hands so I wore a sweater and gloves (they could bite through a t shirt and jeans easily too, you had to keep them a quarter inch from your body or they'd eat you).

Honestly the arctic is the most exciting/adverse but other than that I was in Jordanian desert for a while. My goal is to chill out in the Serengeti at some point but I don't want malaria so idk if it'll happen.

Cool man, i hope to also travel to some really remote regions when I have the money. But damn idk about the arctic after i see this.

Yeah don't go to the arctic unless you're 100% certain about what's up there and where you're going. After 2 weeks I was willing to die, but I got to go to Wilberforce falls and be the only person there which was the most surreal thing ever

I lived 10 miles up the road from Rocky Mountain National park for a couple years
Did a lot of day hikes to waterfalls and what not but I didn't even scratch the surface there are 1000's of miles of trails up there

What kinda places do you want to go to?

That's pretty ridiculous.

I got pretty much all my /out/ stuff from Sierra Trading Post. They're a closeout chain that usually has pretty good deals on things that are no longer made. If you're in the US check them out, and if not I'm sure other anons know of good discount places for outdoor gear. Sometimes local stores will have good sales and you can also try Craigslist.

To answer your question OP, I usually go 2-3 times a week to a trail with free parking within an hour of where I live for day hikes. Luckily there are plenty of good quality trails, and some of them go through national forests. Occasionally I'll make the trip to Rocky Mountain National Park if I go with other people, but paying $20 for a day sucks when the park is packed with tourists and there are so many open national forest areas nearby where you can camp dispersed for free. Planning on getting one of those interagency passes for $80 soon to negate the NF/NP costs.
My nigga

Forgot to mention I also live an hour and a half from some of the best rock climbing available, and there are tons of good bouldering/scrambling spots close by as well. Got into it because my family used to go camping sometimes, and when I moved out I couldn't stand indoor tracks or sidewalks for running. Hiking a trail with some elevation gain is way better cardio than running in circles on gravel or concrete, and has some of the most scenic views for such a simple activity. Helps take your mind off the fact that you're getting heavy exercise because you're focused on the views and getting to your destination at the top. Couldn't imagine living in urban sprawl.

I didn't make any concrete plans yet because I'm only studying and won't be able to afford it for at least a couple of years. I'd love to visit some mountainous high planes and just travel really deep in the woods. Not seeing any sign of people for days would be so relaxing.

Went for a week-long expedition in Hornstrandir National Park just over a month ago. Stunning place, pic related.

Multi-day hikes will kill your lifts though. I dropped 3kg bodyweight in a week and was weak as shit when I got back to the gym.

Hiking climbing and caving.
Started hiking as a teen with my brother, kept it up in college. Started climbing indoor in college, after I graduated I got into outdoor so I wouldn't have to pay as many gym fees, climbing gyms are expensive. Went on a caving trip in college to pettijohns cave in Georgia, just recently started going again. I don't try to be too bold with that, heard way too many horror stories

Forgot to mention the park is the very north-western tip of Iceland.

Oh and I recently acquired qt climbing and caving gf. So I should have photos of me doing shit sometime soon.

Ive been interested in /out/ings my whole life i love hiking and riding atvs thw most a few years ago i got to hike across the negev desert which was amazing but mostly i stick to northern maine i am hoping to do the entire appalachian trail. I guess i started the first time i went into the forests behind my house as a kid

Festival
Popping molly

>"""Demanding"""
Kek. Let me guess you're a finance guy or lawyer.