Veeky Forums martial art

What martial art is the most Veeky Forums and why?
I want to start practicing a martial art, but i was wondering which one goes most hand in hand with bodybuilding (high intensity under a short period of time).

None of them.

All of them.

Some of them.

What would you recommend then?

If you're goal of practicing a martial art is to become a bodybuilder, then don't bother.

>tfw want to learn boxing
>tfw all gyms in my city are ~$130/month

Judo is high intensity under a short period of time, randori part of it at least.

BJJ is the most Veeky Forums

Intense grappling in a short time frame, also sweaty wrestling on the floor with a man, you can't get more Veeky Forums.

Absolutely none of them, you tremendous fucking mong. If you walk into a kickboxing gym and insist on training "high intensity under a short period of time" you're gonna get mauled by your sparring partners. Trust me, every serious fighter in your gym, big or small, will take great pleasure in sending you home with a bad concussion just to show that stereotypical meathead what real fighting is.

I'm guessing you bodybuild, which is fine on its own, but because of your weight you're gonna be fighting taller, thicker guys who actually use every ounce of their weight to their advantage. If you wanna succeed in any combat sport, you need to drop all that excess weight or else get BTFO by someone with a 12" reach disadvantage who's naturally stronger anyway.

bodybuilding does NOT go hand in hand with martial arts.

Also, if you're serious about combat sports, Veeky Forums is absolutely not the right place to asking for advice.

Sherdog or some other MMA-focused site is what you wanna spend your time in. I come to Veeky Forums for powerlifting advice, because having that little bit of extra horsepower is good for fighting, just not kilos and kilos of muscle cultivated through hypertrophy training.

None.

Martial artists are purpose built, most if not all martial arts rely on speed, explosive force and technique.

Muay Thai fighters look like starved kids but can pound you into jelly before you even figure out what's happening, the built muscular boxers and fighters lift aside from working on their fighting technique.

Wrestling could be the closest thing to using your weight and muscles to pin down your opponent, but meh if you're getting into it for self defense lots of other better options out there, and if you want to get Veeky Forums SS or a simple body weight routine will take you there.

OP here, i'm not trying to compete or do anything that "serious" in a martial art. I just want to attend a social sport, and fighting is just something i've alwats wanted to learn. But thanks for all the answers anyway.

I'm not really big or have a lot of "excess weight". I'm more just a bit bigger and more moscular than the average non working out male. So i don't think my size would be a disadvantage.

I was told i should start with judo, then move to boxing and then maybe get into MMA if I see myself fit. I've been going to the gym for quite a while and I'm feeling good about where I am but I want it to be practical as well. Your opinion matters to me, so what do you think?

>Want to get Veeky Forums
>Do a bodyweight routine

Pick one.

I'm like this too. 5'11" and a natural 220, but I have to cut down to 205 to make the LHW division, otherwise I'm fighting 6'5" freaks who're both tall and broad. I've got a naturally wide frame and muscular body, which is both good and bad for fighting. It means I'm usually stronger than the people I fight, because the average LHW is around 6'3" and of average build (because those few extra inches in height generally means extra weight). The trade off is reach, but you can make up for this by becoming a good in-fighter, like Mike Tyson or Jack Dempsey.

Trust me, bodybuilding and fighting are almost complete polar-oppisites. You can do some powerlifting for that strength advantage, but keep in mind that's quality, explosive muscle you're building. Either way it's not like you'll be deciding how big you are, because if you're serious about pursuing combat sports, you body will self-regulate size due to the amount of cardio and roadwork you'll be doing.

Boxing Tyson Furry and Anthony Joshua lift. Olympic wrestlers lift. Just focus on deadlift and rackpull for Posterior chain..Focus on barbellmine unilateral pushes and ohp for punches. Pullups too No big titties, which means no bench except you are a lanklet.

Forgot that you should use elastic bands while lifting for explosiv strength.

As far as conditioning goes, ground grappling has nothing on standing grappling.

- user who trains Judo, BJJ and wrestling

boxing, muay thai, kyokushin karate, bjj, sambo, judo, wrestling

Muay Thai
BJJ
Boxing

MMA is the most effective but generally leads to more injuries

Where the flying fuck do you live? I'm in fucking Australia - the most expensive country in the world, and it still only costs $64 / month

Muay Thai

Hey guys, i've decides to go with muay thai, and maybe if i like it and actually become descent at it i could be moving on to mma in a couple of years, who knows. Thanks for all ur answers, i will strive to become the first bodybuilding roidhead

To become an mma champion.

Tang Soo Do.

It's the Chuck Norris martial art

we have this thread literally every day

BJJ coach here. You're completely wrong.

Different countries have different business models. A lot of other countries subsidize sports and/or have club models.

You won't be an MMA champion. You are clearly retarded/delusional. I work at the desk I coach at; people like you are always good for a laugh. Most of them are mentally deranged.

Im thinking of trying out judo next week. Any tips for a total beginner?

Im about 5'11 and 205lbs, decently fit but my cardio is pretty shit.

I tried out muay thai for a couple classes but it was like 150 a month and basically just a cario class with a little bit of work on a punching bag, seemed mcdojo-ish. The judo gym is only 50 a month, and members participate and place in competitions fairly often.

Yes, do what the coach tells you and stop being poor.

Are you twelve?
Because if you're not, then it's already too late for you.

Not poor, just didnt want to pay so much for something I could do at home.

Yeah ive heard respect is a big thing in judo

I don't mean to discourage you, but that's highly fucking arrogant of you.

What is considered standing grappling? Wrestling, Judo, and Sambo I'm guessing?

I'm fucking joking guys, thought you would get the sarcasm but i was clearly wrong.

If you're gonna be huge then yeah Judo

Clearly you are both poor and retarded. You couldn't do that at home.

The excersizes we were doing I could is my point.

Half the class was "warmup" which was jumprope into burpies / planks, the other half was just practicing basic strikes with the instructor correcting form 1 or 2 times (too many students).

My point wasnt that I could just do muay thai at home, but that this particular gym was not very good for my goals.

boxing bro

Yeah drop that shit

Seek someone who already does muay thai and offer them the same money for some classes

He will laugh at you, you will get your ass kicked (in a good way, both in intensity and in asskicking) for a month or two but you will improve like if you were going for a year to the other classes in so short time, it will feel like fucking steroids

Good luck bro, be sure to start your first fight this month against an experienced fighter, it will help a lot on your progress to become champion! you will learn lots!