Bulk or Cut first if Skinny Fat?

So I've been searching this all day now and all I'm getting are conflicting answers. I'm new to lifting and pretty much the definition of skinny fat.

In case you wanna know, I'm 6'3 and 146 pounds.

Other urls found in this thread:

skinnyfattransformation.com/why-you-shouldnt-do-starting-strength-as-a-beginner/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you are new recomp is the best, eat right your TDEE (need to accurately count calories for that) and workout

Bulk, i was skinny fat for months even though i ate clean and did massive amounts of cardio.

6'3 146? That's twig status did you mean 246?

cut, being at lower BF% helps later

>6'3
>146

jesus fuck

Bruh, this is what I mean, it seems like there isn't a straight answer on this issue.

Jeez I don't think I'm THAT small

fpbp

You should just lift, eat more or less like you normally do and your body will change greatly. Come back in 2-3 months and reassess your situation.

I used to be 6'3 and 135, and yes, you are that small but you don't realize it.

I bulked up to 210 over 3 years and looking back I was a skeleton wrapped in skin. You don't need to cut or anything man, eat more and lift weights.

You weigh the same as me at 5'8 and I get called skinny frequently

You are one hell of a spooky skelly

You're a skeleton. Eat something you freak.

Recomp is essentially just Eating more than your TDEE on lifting days and Eating less your TDEE on rest days right?

TDEE isn't a daily thing, so you can do that or just eat at maintenance over the week, it's the same thing. But don't recomp, you need to BULK. You're fucking skinny so there's no point to you recomping into even more of a skeleton (since muscle is more dense than fat, you'll just look skinnier).

Your minimum healthy weight at 6'3 is something like 175, so you should bulk up to that before considering recomping, and you should be at least 200 before even using the word "cut".

the guy who said cut is a fucking idiot. No fucking way should you cut whilst already being a twig. Eat more and lift weights.

Cut first

t. ex-skinnyfat

guy in pic is not "skinny"...

I'm 6'3 at 200 and I'm skinny fat OP. You need to eat more and lift.

That's an incredibly low weight for your height, even if it is mostly fat. I'd suggest clean bulking, I wouldn't even bother counting calories until like 165lbs, just shovel chicken and milk and eggs down your throat all day.

bulk first. cutting is really hard when you see that after all the suffering you're still gonna look like shit

let me tell u one thing.

forget about it.

dont worry about how you look. The gym mirrors arent meant to be there to check your hair out etc, they are there to check your form.

most people going to the gym have 0 fucking clue on what to do. dont do the gay machine weights use free weights.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench press etc

every time you go in the gym increase the weight a little bit, start with no weight on the bar (empty bar)

if you focus on improve your strength being able to lift more and more a side affect is you will become much more better looking.

if you focus on how you look you will hate it and just become frustrated.

try and lift more and more and in time I promise you your body will get better.

bro youre probably just skinny not skinnyfat, just bulk
I'm skinnyfat and I'm 5'11 175

He doesn't have narrow shoulders. His shoudlers are actually fairly wide.

That was him when he fell for the SS meme. This is him today.

If you're skinny fat, FUCKING BULK. The reason you look skinny fat is because you have little to no muscle mass, not because you have excess fat. Do a clean bulk and you will look amazing after you add some muscle.

That's actually called wasting your fucking time

whats wrong with SS?

skinnyfattransformation.com/why-you-shouldnt-do-starting-strength-as-a-beginner/

According to him, all it got him was fat and stronger.

what about 5x5 for beginners will that give skinnyfats a nice body?

the amount of contradiction is confusing?

just tell me a good workout routine and I will stick to it for 6 months etc.

The better term is "weakfat". You need to stop being weak and stop being fat. You're not skinny, you just store more fat in your legs... like a woman... because you have low test. You have >30%bf, but you look smaller. The truth is, you're obese, but you look average.

Bulking and cutting isn't a useful concept for weakfats. Bulking & cutting is only needed by experienced lifters (at least 2 years in the game) who have a significant amount of muscle and high degree of adaptation (meaning gainz are hard to come by). It's also highly questionable now whether or not anyone should bulk/cut, as leangaining has gained a lot of traction lately. Only competitive bodybuilders seem to using bulk/cut, mostly because drugs make it easier to undo the negatives of bulking.

Weakfats need to just workout and eat cleaner. Stop eating junk food. Lift more weights. Lift for the 8-12 range, so you're sweating more often, on a 5 or 6 day split for an hour at a time. This might sound like a cut to you, but the result is going to be more muscle as well.

tldr: recomp

His face is fucking weird.
Gives creep vibes.

I think this skinnyfat meme has gone for too fucking long.

Its just anxiety fat for eating at improper hours on random days.

Cut and lift anyway. Eat adequate protein for your lean body mass. Then once you're "done" cutting, you can bulk with that basic foundation that you should have developed.

stop eating

how to recomp?

Im at 228 at 6'2, got some strength and been lifting a while tho. 185 working weight on bp

Dude what the fuck is wrong with your body, you have a BMI of around 18.5 which is underweight as fuck. How the fucking hell are you skinny fat, I'd be surprised if you had ANY fat on your skeleton body.

Are you on any weird meds?

Would you guys consider me skinny fat or just fat?

For reference I am 201 pounds and 6 feet tall. 22 years old if that helps.

you are not skinny by any stretch of the imagination

you are overweight for the amount of muscle on you.

Keep lifting. Lift heavier, more frequently, more volume, shorter rest, slower tempo, longer TUT, whatever combination of factors you can track and make progress on.

Keep eating clean: no "I'm eating this candy bar and drinking this coke because I'm on a bulk". No "I gotta eat my slice of cake after my workout because of muh glycogen".

Lift like you're bulking, eat like you're cutting. You can eat at maintenance or just below if you're counting calories.

Big message is to look at the bigger picture, and keep training consistently for two years, uninterrupted.

Also, if you're doing 3 days a week, you're probably not getting all you can get. I recommend a 5- or 6-day split such as PPLPPLx (or Push-Pull-Cardio) for skinnyfats. An hour per day working out.

Ah, so just fat it is then. Would you guys recommend an aggressive or slow cut? I've only been lifting weights for 6 months as of now.

op pic isn't skinny fat. that's just fat.

you aren't really that far out of the ideal weight range so a slow cut would probably be best, will probably mitigate any strength loss too

go hard man

he need to lose like 1/4 of his total bodyweight lmao

>whats wrong with SS?

one of the worst templates out there for anyone, beginner, in termediate or advanced.
it just doesnt work.
but ppl just wont be told about this, so i recommend doing it and finding out for yourself

well im doing 5x5?

wtf should I be doing?

>wtf should I be doing?

how cani answer that without knowing what your goals are. you might be an 18 yo rugby plyaer hoping to go pro or a 55 yo post-surgery obese woman?

he needs to weigh 150 lbs at 6 feet to be healthy? are you retarded?

Do ICF for a year, use the 5x5 app to track your weights etc. After that just check and see if you can still progress on your weights, if you can, keep milking the routine till you can get as close to 1/2/3/4 as possible. Then switch to a bodybuilding routine.

People here keep forgetting that SS, and SL are meant for rapid strength increases so that newbies can move onto something else quickly. It's not meant to be a lifetime routine. And again no one looks ripped without being strong.

Looking good takes years. Keep your expectations realistic. You will only really start seeing aesthetic improvements after about 2 years.

So stick to 5x5 if you want to, but I do recommend ICF instead.

>muh calories don't matter for weight loss
But there are hundreds of scientific research indicating that it does, apart from the experience of thousands of athletes in different sports.
> b- but muh insuline!

The sticky tells me to lose weight (if obese) before I bulk up.

Why the fuck is everyone telling me I should be bulking right from the get go? Won't that just make me even more a fat fuck?

>ICF
Holy shit dude, why are you doing this to people? They might actually take your advice and do that shitty routine created by a guy who doesn't even workout.

>People here keep forgetting that SS, and SL are meant for rapid strength increases so that newbies can move onto something else quickly.

SS as bill starr wrote it (and who rip stole it from) was never intended for anyone except pre-season college-level american football players.
it has very little utility outside of that demographic, certainly not a good fit for beginners imo.

>shitty routine

It's literally starting strength with higher volume and more upper body work for an even looking physique to prevent t-rex mode.

For a noobie it's ideal.

I am curious then. What would you recommend for a newbie who knows nothing about lifting?

The reason why ICF, SS, SLare good for beginners is that it employs linear progression and is some and easy to follow. Both of which for someone with less than a year experience lifting is ideal.

If you're a fat fuck you'll still gain muscle on a cut since your body already has the calories it needs from your fat stores.

So ignore the guys telling you to bulk. Increase strength gains while cutting for as long as you can.

If you are obese you should be losing weight. Don't bulk, you'll look like shit. The best and faster way to change how you look when you are fat is losing fat, not gaining muscle.

The programming is all fucked up. It's terrible for everyone. Just look at day B:
>squat 5x5
>deadlift 1x5
>OHP 5x5
>row 5x5

In other words, fuck your back. That's why Blaha looks like shit: no one can really workout like that without getting hurt.

All he did was ripoff StrongLifts and add in more shit, which is exactly why it sucks. He made no consideration for programming a routine, he just added shit to more shit.

>easy to follow
That's only good for morons. Just because you haven't lifted before, doesn't mean you have a low IQ.

Not the guy you're replying to, but Linear Progression 5x5s should not be recommended for beginners. They involve too little frequency, and put too much pressure on joints while strength building without giving enough aesthetic gains to keep the new lifter motivated. 5x5s are powerlifting programs. Intermediate bodybuilders can use them to cope with stalls.

i dont like 5 reps as a scheme for newbies. i prefer 1-3 reps with 75% 1RM to learn form (75% for a newbie isnt equivalent to 75 for an intermediate or advanced, so no-one flip out over this), and 8+ reps for some hypertrophy work.

cookie cutter programs rarely work for anyone though. you need to learn as much about lifting from lots of different source - Veeky Forums fit isnt a very place to do this research. get hold of the classic texts and read as obscure webites as possible.

here's a brilliant site to begin with:

tight tan slacks of dezso ban (wont let me link the sit unfortunately)

just turned 19, about to have my jaw wired shut for 3 weeks so i might lose alot of muscle and fat from that.

What do I do after I have recovered from my surgery.

Im fatter and more muslcer than the average person my age I would say.

Only been doing 5x5 for two weeks, started with empty bar (20kg) and now I added it up as it instructs in the book, so my deadlift is 50kg etc.

Use to lift around 2-3 years ago but quit and pretty much lost everything.

To any noob interested, I bought the Eric helms book "Muscle and Strength Pyramids", and after reading like 250 pages, he gives this routine to beginners.
(HH= Hip hinge; SL = Single leg; St; Standing; Se; Seated, I think the others are obvious).

It's a 4 day routine:
Monday- Lower
Tuesday- Upper
Wed - Off
Thursday - Lower
Friday- Upper

>I'm 6'3 and 146 pounds.
RATTLE RATTLE EAT MORE CATTLE

skinnyfat fag here
going to get a fat caliper to gauge my bodyfat soon
how do you gauge your caloric deficit? i heard its safest to lose 1-2 pounds a week but how do you measure all that and make sure youre not overshooting?

im a sentient fuck and dont have any gear lol been considering body weight and HIIT since its all thats raelly available to me? no energy though but trying to get started

how can you be 6'3 146 and look like that.
get your test checked man looks like you missed puberty.