What benefit do barbell rows offer that deadlifts and weighted pull ups do not...

What benefit do barbell rows offer that deadlifts and weighted pull ups do not? I have been doing rows lately and I've been progressing at a good rate, but I feel that they are more of a distraction from deadlifts and pull ups than they are a quality exercise.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xGsbwVeTtfk
instagram.com/doctor.deadlift/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm struggling with the same question. What is the benefit over chins, pull-ups or deadlifts?

absolutly nothing

pretty much no benefits apart from minor differences in muscle usage.

its more of a preference thingy

Is this true? Do you have anything to support this claim?

I've been told that barbell rows are good for preparing yourself for bench press. I've heard that it's good to pull ok the same plane that you push. Is there truth to this statement or is this just a meme?

I'm on StrongLifts, good you substitute rows in this programming with chins?

Pullups for width deadlifts and rows for thickness

What specific muscles are targeted more in a row than a pull up?

I feel that rows work my rhomboids and traps better than pull ups

Please no meme answers

rows = scapula retraction

So if I do deadlifts, pull ups and face pulls, then rows are not necessary?

yes from a shoulder health perspective you'll be fine but you won't get as much growth and strength as if you used some kind of rowing - dumbbell, cable or barbell

Most of the programs done by guys that know about lifting includes a row type movement a lat pulldown/pull-chin up exercise (at least in Eric Helms routines, and Lyle Mcdonald) and a deadlift variation.

Why not include the 3 exercises?

REEEEE I guess it is worth it to do rows then

I would rather focus on my pull ups. I only have so much time to spend in the gym, so when I do rows, I do not do pull ups.

>why should I do a horizontal pull when I can do a vertical pull?
>why should I do a horizontal push when I can do a vertical push?

Depending on the row: rear delts, spinal erectors, lower traps, rhomboids.

Somehow fucked up my wrist doing rows

Deadlifts and pullups have you covered. Don't bother with rows.

>What is the difference between a horizontal pull and a vertical pull?

retarded lol

greater activation of the upper back/rear delts

Widen your grip

chose your grip carefully and "pull with your elbows". If it gets heavy, don't curl your wrists trying to get the bar closer to you.

Yep, there is no difference between a horizontal pull and a verticle pull.

Make sure your forearms and wrists are straight. When the weights too heavy lifters tend to curl th wrists. Just look at the diagram in the OP, straight wrist and forearm

Deadlifts have very little lat activation. Your back is gonna look like shit if you only do deadlifts.

Just so we're clear, there's 6 major movement patterns:
>horizontal push (bench)
>vertical push (ohp)
>horizontal pull (row)
>vertical pull (pullup, chinup, or lat pulldown)
>knee-dominant (squat, leg press)
>hip-dominant (deadlift)

Deadlifts are NOT a vertical pull. H/V Push/Pull refers to working your shoulders, not your hips. Yes, there is carryover to back muscles because of how much they have to stabilize the weight through the deadlift, but it's not a vertical pull.

You're all autists. Just try out the fucking exercise and feel it out for yourself.

It will look imbalanced yes, in a way that it will give you thicc spinal erectors, big fuck off traps as well, most people (95%) dont do deadlifts so they have SHIT traps and SHIT erectors.

When I saw my lats lagging behind I added weighted pullups and T bar rows..

Do people on do one exercise per muscle group? Why not do all?

Say it again!

Enough small differences that rows can support your deads (also squats and bench) if you're stalling.
It's an assistance exercise.

barbell rows are not essential

if you're squatting and deadlifting you don't really need the extra lower back work. just find a row variation you like and stick with it

machine rows, cable rows, dumbbell rows, t bar rows it doesn't really matter

absolutly nothing

Deadlifts and weighted chins are all I do, and my back has a pretty good shape even though I my body fat is a bit too high.

Neutral grip chins, in my experience, give you the best lat activation. Deadlifts cover the rest of the back

Fuckin' hate barbell rows. They make my lower back sore, which is weird because I have no problem bracing for deads and have perfect form. What am I doing wrong, bros? I can do heavy dumbbell rows just fine.

It's my favorite lift when I'm doing back

>tfw doing heavy barbell rows only and fully ditching deadlifts

Strict form Pendlay/barbell rows suck ass.
Ed Coan rows and Seal rows are fun.

>not doing the weird ass rows from youtube.com/watch?v=xGsbwVeTtfk
>not trusting a guy that can deadlift 915 at 6'2" 200

That vid has some wisdom in it
>Point is there's not one way, try stuff and see what works for you

>not doing all 3
>never gonna make it

Barbell rows are a good combination to things like lat pulldown and seated cable row to get that juicy looking back.

I do them as my first exercise for every pull day with 4x6-8.

Well for one, rows train completely different muscles than deadlifts and pull ups you moron. Pull ups train your lats, so the width of your back, rows train the thickness of your back.
You need to do both or you'll end up having a wide but thin and weak back.

I only did weighted pull ups and DLs and developed middle back problems

6 months physical therapy

Added in pendlay rows and I'm good

Just one data point fwiw

Suckon my dicp

Well, row is a horizontal pull, pull up is a vertical pull. Different muscles are involved.
Just do rows on the days you bench, pullups on the days you do OHP.

Same. I didn't do rows because I disliked them, so my back became wide but weak apart from the lats, so I started having back pains all the time.
Do your fucking rows people.

If you want a good bench then you have to row. Pullups and chins and deads and rows should all be in your program

post pic of your back faggot

Based answer
I would also add that without rows your rear delts and middle/lower traps will lag

I'm going to vertically pull your nerd son's underpants up his poorly-wiped buttcrack.

wait is this pic accurate, I've been doing rows to my chest this entire time

I do t-bar rows instead without the v handle thing. Hits the lats better for me personally.

no wonder then bruh. bout ya dong.

There's different ways to do it. The pic is for using your lats more, chest is for focusing on your upper back.

This is actually true. Horizontal push/pull vertical push/pull hip hinge and I forget what squat is I think it's plantar flexion or something but if you don't have these in your program in unison with one another your missing out on gains.

If you bench you should be doing rows, common rule is you should be able to row as much as you can bench this is good for your joint health and muscular balance

theyre easier

>bench 305
>can row maybe 205
just

>barbell rows are for lower back
Dyel

Reading comprehension. That wasnt what he was saying. He was saying that the only real benefit from barbell rows vs other types of rows is the slight lower back work which is completely negligible and unnecessary. He was saying that any other row variation would be just as effective.

cant bent over row to save my life, but can pendlay row all day

wowo thanks brian alsruhe, not everyone is a freak of strength

Listen bro if you want to be a latlet drop rows. Deadlift and pull ups wont make you grow side wings like rows will.

I can row about what I can bench. Not that difficult if you pull as much as you push

rows are great
chinups and pullups make my right shoulder click for some reason and while i can do them im kinda worried that i shouldnt do them

tfw row significantly more than I bench
tfw bench max is just short of 3pl8

I prefer t-bar rows

I don't have easy access to a pullup bar where I live right now. Can I get by with just rows and DL?

nigga anything can be a pullup bar--basement rafters, thick tree branch

don't feel like I get a decent ROM with those

Nor did we all have access to the same experminetal military superroids that he had.

What's the main difference between an overhand and an underhand grip? Is the underhand grip more for the lower lats?

I row inbetween bench press sets. If I don't my bench decreases.

Was stuck at 425 deadlift for a long time and decided to try adding pendlay rows. Once I could rep 2pl8, I got up to 485 fairly quickly. Don't knock something till you try it for awile.

most if not all good deadlifters do rowing as assistance work for deadlifts

i just alternate the grip each row-day to avoid having to read up on which grip is better

>deadlift 915 at 6'2" 200
Unrelated to rows, but why isn't he the center of focus of every thread or fitness blog if he really deadlifts 91% the WR at like 60% bw?
Isn't that the best deadlift Wilks by a huge margin? Am I missing something? Fake plates?

maybe it's because he's sumo-ing it?
instagram.com/doctor.deadlift/

not sure, he's outstanding anyways, think he has a WR in his class anyway

Your penis is so tiny and cute bro! Aww!!!!!

are you resting the weight in the floor?

>because he's sumo-ing
I don't sumo either, but come on now.

wut

I'm resting the scrot on your face, faggot. That answer your question?

m8 i'm just trying to find a reason why he might not be posted more often. Only heard of him through the supertraining vid as well

ITT: clueless, weak morons who can't row for shit so they act like the EXERCISE is the problem and not the fact that THEY are just little dainty bitch boys.

bro, how much do you row

your mum + your dad so about 2 tons

Rows work traps in a way that is different from deadlifts and work lats in a way that is different than pullups. Rows also work rhomboids better than either of those exercises. Rows are also better for rear delt development than pullups, and I'm sure we could all use more rear delt work.

Quit being a bitch and do your rows. Doesn't have to be bent over barbell rows. Could be pendlay rows, seated cable rows, single-arm dumbbell rows, t-bar rows, a mix of all of these, whatever you feel most comfortable with. But you should have some kind of horizontal pulling exercise in your routine to balance out your horizontal pushing exercises (bench press).

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO HIS DAD IS MtF AND HIS MUM IS FtM

xxxxddddddddd

I do them on the same night. Deads first. Then rows, pullups, etc. It's hard after deadlift. Mostly fucks my arms

I'm doing a push/pull split at the moment.

3+ plates for reps. stay mad ya weak moron.

i bet it's micro plates to match your micro dick

So what muscles do horizontal rows work that vertical ones don't?

nope. stop projecting, dainty little bitch.

The horizontal ones, idiot.

if insulting is projecting, then you just admitted to being dainty, little, and a bitch.