>Spaniards and Dutch waged war for 80 (eighty) years
Who was in the wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury_at_Mechelen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Naarden
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Antwerp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury#Spanish_Furies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Spanish were declaring bankruptcy like it was going out of fashion and would soon lose their entire colonial empire, meanwhile the Dutch would become filthy rich and have very high living standards despite being a fraction of Spain’s size, so I’d say the Spanish were overall in the wrong.

But why did they fight for 80 years?
How the fuck did that happen?

>The Spanish were declaring bankruptcy
No, retard, the "bankruptcy" start when Dutch, Portuniggers and catalonians start to revolt.

Spaniards export much of their shit to Netherlands. Then they try to secede like traitors.

They got what they deserve.

the eternal Spaniard
the Dutch and the Portuguese were damn lucky to escape, we Catalans had to stay and be stuck with the filthy Manolos
well, we will keep trying as long as we exist

>They got what they deserve.
do you mean independence and being much better than Spain for the rest of history?

No, get killed how the scum that they are.

Spain went bankrupt fighting muslim slavers and now the Dutch import them en masse.

Papists

The situation in Catalonia seems more parallel to the false secession of the south than the American Revolution to me

>half of Dutch supported Spain
>Spaniards and Dutch
This meme is getting old

only the union of Arras (Francophone Netherlands) supported Spain and Luxembourg had nothing to support because they were occupied all the time. All of the union of Utrecht supported the war against Spain.

the eternal Moor obviously.
swarthy cowardly m*doids slaughtered women and children by the thousands.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury_at_Mechelen
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Naarden
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Antwerp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Fury#Spanish_Furies

subhuman spics vs white people

hmmmmmmmm.......................................

Fucking trace italienne bullshit.
You spend an eternity to take every tiny shithole and by the time you reach any sizeable town your money has run out.

The fought for 80 years because the Spaniards had a lot of other bullshit to deal with causing them to not be able to focus on the Dutch and because the Dutch REALLY valued freedom of religion and not having to pay taxes to the Spanish.

>Karel V: Filips II I know you're my son, but listen to Willem van Oranje
>Filips II, son of emperor Karel V and therefore lord of the Netherlands inherited Spain
>Spain: Netherlands, you're Spain now so pay your taxes to finance our ridiculous wars
>Netherlands: lol no, fuck off please.

so, 16 replies in and the only thing i learned is that people are still butthurt about events that happened 400 years ago

What else do you want to learn? Just ask?
Most anons here have a highly informed knowledge of the finer details of that war

Is Bismarck's American Besty still the top source in english for this conflict or has nobody else written about it extensively yet

Alright, here goes my attempt to inform you

The 80 years war wasn't a long, single war. It was more similar to the hundred years war. It was a string of battles few and far between, which were often sieges that could last a year or two.

The Dutch could keep this up, after they conquered most of the modern-day Netherlands (which happened pretty quickly, relatively speaking). In fact, they would've pushed into the Spanish Netherlands (modern-day Belgium) if the twelve years truce hadn't been signed.

The Spanish could also keep going, but it became gradually harder later on as they became involved in many more wars abroad, which is why they signed the peace treaty in the same year as they signed the peace treaty for the thirty years war.

>would soon lose their entire colonial empire
the fuck? spain had their colonial empire until the napolonic wars

Stay butthurt Chorizo

Dutch for breaking their feudal ties and declaring a monarchical republic