Whats your views on 5/3/1?

Whats your views on 5/3/1?
anyone had good results?
what variations have you enjoyed?

Quite possibly the single worst pseudo-program in existence

Get a real coach.

unless you know how to modify 5/3/1 to have more frequency and volume, don't do it

it doesn't work well out of the box

It's actually quite good. Reason people don't like it is because they're not consistent with it.

I wouldn't do it to get big though.

It's a pretty good program if you're an old, tired, and broken powerlifter with joints you're not even sure work anymore. If you're still young and fresh, get yourself a program better fitted for you.

Such as what?

people don't like it because the original iteration of the program was almost completely nonfunctional (unless you were a beginner or talented and could progress on one working set a week + accessories) and still sold 10 billion copies because of t-nation pushing the program

Madcow 5x5 > Texas Method

Fuck you 531 is fine. just do one of the body building variants

What is the alternative to 5/3/1?

You'll need to be more specific to get accurate answers. Wendler's churned out a staggering number of variants and modifications that have warped the original program beyond all recognition.

Very good routine

Mongs on Veeky Forums don't like it because it isn't SS

Do 5/3/1 with boring but big and your choice of accessories. It basically becomes a solid upper/lower split. More fun than squatting 3 times a week at least.

Yea SS is ok for some time, thats it.

Basically what variation do you feel helped you reach your strength goals?

Did BBB on alternating days (if main set bench, accessory was 5x10 OHP etc) for four or five months. Made moderate gains for bench and squat, but my OHP and DL plateaued, then regressed. Still feel like any gains I made were thanks to all the accessories rather than the main program. Now doing a six day PPL instead.

Should add, I didn't just do BBB accessories. Also did lots of weighted dips, chins, curls, back exts etc.

Once in a while i do the body building variant (not the mens fitness one but the other one) with the bbb 3 month challenge. its fun in its own way

I want to become stronger (just about hit 1/2/3/4) but I also want to grow a little bit more muscle mass. Is 5/3/1 the way to go?

All these people whining that it does not have enough volume are apparently ignorant of the fact that there are dozens of variations of it, some of which have every high volume.
Wendler designed one called 5/3/1 Boring But Big and it has tons of bodybuilding in addition to the 5/3/1. Very high volume, and very good routine for muscle mass.

I did the boring but big 3 month challenge and it added a retarded amount of weight to all of my lifts. However, it is by far the hardest program I have ever done. Sheiko is piss easy compared to it.

The 3 month challenge is every cycle you increase your accessory by 10%. So the final month you are 5x10 at 70%.

Use your real maxes not 90% like weddler says. The program outside of boring but big seems terrible compared to pretty much everything else

Just eat more you twink

How much did each of your main lifts progress in those 3 months? And did you do it natty or on gear?

Natty. I had been lifting for about a year and a half prior and was already past 1/2/3/4 doing SL 5x5 for that time.

Previously:
Squat - 440
Dead - 440
OHP -145
Bench - 240

After
Squat: 480
Dead: 480
OHP: 175!
Bench: 270

When I did Sheiko I saw similar results my first 8 week program and I'm about to see if I get it again the next 8 weeks but I found 5/3/1 superior simply because of the conditioning as well. The conditioning doing the 3 month challenge was fucking retarded. I think on one day (which wasn't even the peak of the program) I calculated I squatted a total of 20950lbs during that session. That's fucking retarded.

I wouldn't even be able to do most of the the conditioning work at my gym because we don't have weighted vests or a lot of the other stuff

That' not what I meant. I mean the fact that you are doing your sets then your assistance work is 5x10 at 50%, then 5x10 at 60% then 5x10 at 70% is the conditioning. When you are done 5x10 at 70% you will barely be able to stand up, I guarantee it.

It made a huge difference in my stamina and recovery. Like I said, Sheiko feels like a joke to me and it's because of 5/3/1 conditioning.

Oh. So you didn't do the conditioning work either that Wendler included in the program? Stuff like running on treadmills with a weighted vest on and shit.

To my knowledge you don't do that with the boring but big 3 month challenge version. I don't see how you could because after squats and deadlifts you will barely be able to function and OHP will make you not want to lift your arms for the rest of the day.

Why can't you mongs just be your own coach? You have to follow a meme routine? Start with something basic like a push pull split doing bench, squat, overhead press, dip, deadlift, rows, chin ups. Start with 5 sets of 3 or 5. Keep reading up and modify to work on your own goals and weaknesses as you find them developing.

That's a good plan user. You might want to work some simple periodization in there as well. Almost sounds sort of like the basis for a family of programs!

Are you fucking stupid? If OP is asking about 5/3/1 he is clearly already at advanced level, a pleb tier 3x5 or 5x5 linear routine won't work anymore.

>advanced
Doubtful bro

do what you want as long as you do it eat right and sleep you will get stuff done

I did the program variant "triumvirate" for four months. In my opinion, it was not enough "heavy" lifting to really progress. Benching heavy only once a week will guarantee that you stall very quickly. I made progress on squats an deadlfts but nearly no progress on ohp and benchpress. I think for any natural lifter, a program with squatting and pressing at least two times per week is much mure suitable.

At the moment i am doing Canditos Linear Progression and its been working great.

Well if he's not advanced then he shouldn't be starting a 5/3/1 routine yet. He probably is at least at the end of intermediate range.

whats a good intermediate routine?

c6w is hard and will challenge your willpower

Candito's Linear Program (hypertrophy version) is one of the best in my opinion. Has 4 workouts every week.
ABxCDxx
A= Heavy lower body day
B= Heavy upper body day
C= hypertrophy lower body day
D= hypertrophy upper body day

I make strength gains every week, and gotten considerably bigger in a few months, absolutely fantastic routine that can work for 30min sessions to 2+hours with as much changes as you want

Lift frequency could be better, but you can add that in yourself, and a bad day can make a bad week, but sgut happens and it doesn't affect you overall

Did bbb and ssl and had amazing gains on both. You could literally stay on this program forever.

Got an app which does all the maths and planning for me as well which gives me goals for the day, week, cycle and a few cycles ahead, which helps my motivation

It's great. I do BBB with FSL + joker sets and making my best gains.

Do you do FSL after the main set but before Joker sets? What's the point of FSL? Which assistance exercises do you use?

After joker sets ofc.
The point is to add more volume/practice on the main lifts. You can either do 1 AMRAP set or do 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps.

i don't like the 5/3/1 programs, but i've used the weight/rep calculator on composite exercises ever since i stopped progressing on linear overload.
there are probably better periodization systems out there but i'm not aware of any good apps for them.

It worked well for squat and DL, added 20 pounds to both in 2 months, but it's ass for bench.

Horribly low volume but you will get stronger. If you wanna get bigger, do BBB and add a lot of pullups and curls.

>175!
>1124449491085736328304109938642204255210926338928074644824004638489082006275333290972493383366025810760784721148670387931016867466241864043097971934380608571667663656813479380532220559625623957805983663469624056384461365161184611811666936997356618263665919666081369067104501760000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
>overheadpressing a black hole that's ~1x10^277 times heavier than the most massive black hole known to exist.
Mirin

>Horribly low volume

You can literally add as much volume as you want. Read the books

Yes which is why I advised on doing BBB and adding pull for for size. When someone starts discussing 5/3/1 I'm pretty sure they don't intend on buying/pirating the book so the only thing they go off of are the hundreds of articles with the core program and maybe first set last which is still way too little volume. You will get stronger, despite the low volume because constant deloads and said low volume lets you recover fully. But it's not optimal for strength or size.

The triumvirate or BBB template can work quite well for size and there are good templates for powerlifting too, but I'm not too familiar with those.

it's not fucking rocket appliances. if you're a beginner you can lift more frequently. when your numbers get reasonably high, you have to lift less frequently to recover. 5/3/1 is a less frequent lifting program.
with that said, you have to figure out which lifts require that less frequent lifting. when i did 5/3/1 i made gains on all my lifts, but my bench stalled much earlier than the others, and conversely my deadlift was shooting up insanely. 5/3/1 worked for my deadlift (and squat to a decent degree) but not for my bench. moving to higher frequency for my bench made it go up much faster.

5/3/1 is perfectly fine for beginners if they can learn how to do joker sets.

literally all you need to do is type "5/3/1 pdf" in google search and think about what you've read

I did 5/3/1 BBB and starting I had a 430 dl 405 squat 315 bench 190 military press. By the end of the 3 months I had 480 squat a 495 deadlift 345 bench and a 225 military press. I did lots of accessories and I was conditioning 6x a week with hill sprints prowler sled drags battle ropes and all sorts of carries. It was pretty hard and by the end of the 3 months I was burned the fuck out especially with adding joker sets and amrap sets

Anyone know if n-suns 5/3/1 is a good intermediate routine? Been lifting for 6 months and am looking to transition to a new routine, this one seems like the most fun.

It works but have fun doing 17 sets of squats and deadlifts.

Its total shit

t. brainlet

Beyond 531 with BBB has worked great for me.

Good combination of heavy sets followed up by volume and accessories

I found Madcow 5x5 to be too little volume, personally.

the base program is low as fuck on volume, so unless you are doing FSL and/or jokers it is kinda a waste

It's a very good program. Make sure to at least read Beyond 5/3/1 before doing it though.

Why can't you fucking retards just do Candito's Six Week Training program?

Why can't you fucking retards just do Wendler's 5/3/1?

because I'm not a fat autistic powerlifter

>I don't need to get strong to be le aesthetic

>implying Candito's program is not about getting strong as fuark and hitting new PRs every week.

Candito runs that for meet prep. 5/3/1 is for people who want to run something long term at a slower pace.