Was historical Japanese (before Meiji standardization) the hardest written language on Earth?

Was historical Japanese (before Meiji standardization) the hardest written language on Earth?
>Used traditional Chinese
>Used cursive Chinese characters(even harder)
>Used "hentai-ji script". Basically many alternate hiragana letters for the same sound.
>Un predictable ateji
>Kun semantic reading that change based on okurigana
>On readings that are unpredictable and has many variant sounds from different periods
>Jyubako readings that mix on-yomi and kun-yomi
>Use of classical Chinese that was modified to be be read in old Japanese

It's a fucking nightmare

Other urls found in this thread:

pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Despite this it saw a rising literacy rate during the Edo period.

it saw functional literacy among the commoners, which was obviously much simpler

for me the difficult part about the chinese script is the fact that all characters are just tiny little scribbles and are nearly identical, differentiating them and remembering every single one is nightmare mode

the fact that it's combined with hiragana is really not that difficult, the difficult part is the base chinese characters themselves

This rub

Is it the same person making all these shitty posts?

Holy shit you are an ultra brainlet. Hanzi are not hard at all to remember, they are not even close to being identical. They are made up of different pieces called radicals that are used to construct all the different characters. By the time Chinese children reach middle school they can read and write thousands of them.

You've obviously never studied Japanese.

It's not just "Chinese characters+Hiragana" you brainlet.

The character for "bright"(明)has 3 On-yomi phonetic readings
呉音wu sound 明ミョウmyo
漢音han sound 明メイmei
唐音tang sound 明ミンmin

And for kun-yomi semantic readings, one character can be read so many ways. For example the character for "life"生 can be read as
生きるi-kiru
生むu-mu
生やすha-yasu
生nama

Then you have jyukuji which are Japanese words attached to random set of characters. For example 大和 isn't read as "dai wa" because the native Japanese words for Japan is forcefully using the kanji for "great peace"

Hardest to learn/practice maybe, but I'd wager Mayan (yes, the maya had a true written language, pic related) was the hardest/most of a pain in the ass to actually write down, simply because their characters are as complex as hieroglyphs/pictographs

>By the time Chinese children reach middle school they can read and write thousands of them.
they learn them since childhood, of course they can read them

im comparing them to alphabetic scripts, if you are from Finland for example, by fifth grade you are literate, you can write down any word of your language because you know the alphabet, in china the characters are thousands upon thousands and have to be memorized

i dont know what's so hard for a low iq brainlet like you to understand here, i have to write a fucking paragraph for you imbeciles to understand a simple sentence i wrote, morons like you should not be allowed a computer

Am i supposed to understand your mindless ramblings or are you going to elaborate? what the fuck is "On-yomi"? what the fuck is "wu sound"? You want me to start speaking bulgarian to you and call you a brainlet because you dont understand me?

I find the concept of pictographic languages so interesting. How the fuck did kanji/pinyin come about? Were they really cave paintings and pictures that got converted into characters? How were new words made?

>The problem of reading is often a touchy one for those in the China field. How many of us would dare stand up in front of a group of colleagues and read a randomly-selected passage out loud? Yet inferiority complexes or fear of losing face causes many teachers and students to become unwitting cooperators in a kind of conspiracy of silence wherein everyone pretends that after four years of Chinese the diligent student should be whizzing through anything from Confucius to Lu Xun, pausing only occasionally to look up some pesky low-frequency character (in their Chinese-Chinese dictionary, of course). Others, of course, are more honest about the difficulties. The other day one of my fellow graduate students, someone who has been studying Chinese for ten years or more, said to me "My research is really hampered by the fact that I still just can't read Chinese. It takes me hours to get through two or three pages, and I can't skim to save my life." This would be an astonishing admission for a tenth-year student of, say, French literature, yet it is a comment I hear all the time among my peers.
pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html

Read pic related. It isn't a pictographic system, it's a(n hilariously bad) phonetic one.

> How the fuck did kanji/pinyin
Do you mean kanji/Hanzi?

interestingly, our modern alphabets evolved the same way, the phoneician script evolved from egyptian hieroglyphs and they all meant something but only represented a single sound, for example the phoenician aleph(A) meant an ox(and it even looks like an ox head with two horns) which was adopted in greece as alpha and later in latin and cyrillic

The book you recommend is hilarious bad either, kek.
Also Chinese is not hard to native speakers at all, your egotistic moron.

>lol X language isn't hard to the people who grew up speaking, listening, reading, writing, and being educated in it from birth lmao

>X language isn't hard to the people who grew up speaking, listening, and being educated in it from birth lmao
I know, right? But it seems the other user(maybe it's you) doens't think so, they think they're too stupid to understand it which means it's hard for everyone.

>But it seems the other user(maybe it's you) doens't think so, they think they're too stupid to understand it which means it's hard for everyone.
who implied such a thing?

could it be that you have an inferiority complex and perceive attack when there is none?

John DeFrancis is the most influential and respected Chinese language scholar in the western world, and David Moser, who argues that Chinese is an absolutely hard language in that article I linked, has achieved among other things:
>[a] Ph.D. in Chinese Studies from the University of Michigan, with a major in Chinese Linguistics and Philosophy. He was a visiting scholar at Peking University in 1987-89, and a visiting professor for five years at the Beijing Foreign Studies University, where he taught courses in Translation Theory and Psycholinguistics. In the early 1990s, he worked as a research assistant in the Cognitive Science department at Indiana University, and with a joint cross-cultural psychology research project with the University of Michigan and the Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Psychology. Moser is currently Academic Director at CET Chinese Studies at Beijing Capital Normal University
But thanks for the hot opinions.

I don't think that was anyone's takeaway from his post, except for you

>Hurr they are hard for me so it's must be hilariously bad phonetic one
Umm, no sweetie, it's logographic system.

speak english you brainlet

>Xe is so butthurt that he can't stop spamming..

>Chinese is an absolutely hard language
Yeah, I know it's hard for you gweilos.

sorry, my slanty eyed friend, but you're the official thread brainlet

Not even him but why so assblasted?

>Xe is so butthurt that Xe has to screenshot Xis own dynamic IP shitposts on this shitty weebsite for arguing

wow your ass is on fire mate

keep posting those reaction images, they might mask your flaming asshole

>Not even him but why so assblasted?
(You)

Unrelated

>Easily derailed
You still seem mad.

>implying I have the time to photoshop (you)s into screenshots on an anonymous Napoleonic lolicon symposium

hahaha sore loser, lost the argument now has to spam his buthurt

keep going cunt i can do this all day

I wonder who is so assmad to spam same shit three times in a row and even forgot to delete them. Thanks for the screenshots btw. Kek

Just Google it if you don't know, you're obviously in the wrong place if you want to look for a straightforward answer for the Japanese language

keep posting, loser

Top Kek

Yeah it's pretty clear you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, so why don't you fucking shut up

why dont you suck my dick?

God damn illiterates