What did people in the Americas especially the American south like the people who lived in the Alabamas do to keep cool...

What did people in the Americas especially the American south like the people who lived in the Alabamas do to keep cool or from going insane before A/C?

They didn't live in European style houses that need shit like fans and air conditioning.

The South was kind of a shithole with no serious industry or economy other before AC.

Apparently here in Phoenix people just wrapped themselves up in wet blankets and napped through the hottest time of the day. Houses were also built with high ceilings with large open spaces for better air flow and for the heat to rise above people-level

fucked their slaves

Iced tea

You board up the plantation house and spend summer closer to the sea

>the Alabamas

Like the Commonhood of Alabama.

Nothing. It was fucking hot, and you worked like a dog, from sun up to sun down. If you were inside, it was sticky 9 months out of the year. You still need to shower twice a day, and you get sticky stepping into your car in the morning.

This is the only valid point I can account for. The weather in summer would be absolutely intolerable to yankees, pre AC, and the south was overwhelmingly agricultural, with people working in the open air, and just drinking a lot of water and generally trying not to die. I, as a Texan, contracted for a while, and digging a plumbing trench in august nearly killed me, at 22. I still have scarring, from a small patch on my shoulder, I forgot to sunscreen.

Nothing, the heat went to their heads and they became rednecks.

Actually this. Have you ever been to the deep south? Everyone talks like mush mouth, and they enjoy butchering the English language more than they enjoy butchering blacks.

This got thinking, what did people do to prevent sunburns before sunscreen existed?

thinking emoji

fans

They wore hats and used umbrellas

AC is the only thing cooling the planet and stopping global warming right now.

This. It's no coincidence the Ice Age happened when the AC filled city of Atlantis disappeared.

Same here (Balkans).

Sleeping and trying to avoid exerting yourself.
t. Southerner

> from sun up to sun down.
really? no siesta?

Got a good base tan, or thin cotton shirts and lands with a hat

It's called "tanning", a natural reaction of the Human body to adapt to continued solar exposure.

No global climate change back then.
Planet was far cooler and more liveable.
Thanks to industrialization we now have a runaway greenhouse effect going on.
The ice at the poles and glaciers will melt
The seas will rise
More animals will go extinct in the next 50 years than in any other point in history
Temperatures will rise to the point that you can boil an egg at the North Pole by just dropping it into the water
There will be extremes in both heat and unimaginable cold
All this because a bunch of old white guys want more and more and more money
We still have time to stop the genocide of our grandchildren, but we must act within the next 6 months or it will be too late
Robert Mueller is investigating a global conspiracy to destroy the world for the benefit of the elite 1%
If he is fired before completing his task, I urge to take to the streets
Trump and the globalist cabal must be stopped
The very existence of humanity hangs in the balance
If we do nothing the blood is on our hands
Welcome to Trump's America, a world with no future

Maybe today. Back then, white people worked the land, and built the buildings.

>Ctrl-F swim

You were supposed to go skinny dipping in the nearest river as soon as the heat got so bad you couldn't stand it.

They built barns to cool themselves. Or basement.

They made niggers do all the work to avoid overheating.

>Planet was far cooler
The climate is barely a degree hotter. Didn't read the rest of your post because I can tell by its bulletin format and your gross error that the rest of it will be equally silly.

All of Southern Europe did just fine even with a nice afternoon siesta.

This thread is pretty dumb. As if the American south is the only spot on the globe which is hot and wet in the summer. It's not even the fucking tropics.