How to make brain gains?

What should I start with? I am trying to actively avoid becoming a dumb meat head.

Other urls found in this thread:

pnas.org/content/105/19/6829.abstract
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read books at least 20 minutes a day, but not sci-fi or fantasy or any of that bullshit. Read quality works by good writers. Check out Veeky Forums for a more in-depth response.

study at least an hour a day. You probably go to school right? Study whatever you are taking classes in.

Don't worry, you'll never be a meathead.

Sci-fi and fantasy are fine you dirty nigger. Writers like Orson Scott Card and Isaac Asimov have put out some masterpieces.

Op, start with books you actually enjoy, so you can read them with an honest focus. Don't pickup a book that is beyond your intellectual reach just to impress people. It's a waste of time and money.

Your vocabulary will expand and your attention span will sharpen with each book you read. Always be reading something, and put some time away each night before you sleep for at least 15minutes. Get to it, kiddo.

>start with books you actually enjoy
I agree to an extent. Just don't read distinctly bad writers OP.

There are tons of scifi and fantasy books worth reading. All of Tolkien for example. Just don't waste your life reading 10,000 pages of George R.R. Martin's sex fantasies

Study maths and maths-related fields.
Solve problems, ones that take genuine ingenuity. There's a lot of collections online from Purdue Problem of the Week to Project Euler.

pnas.org/content/105/19/6829.abstract
read books
try new things
challenge yourself with shit you've been afraid to do or been putting off for too long
talk to people

any good fantasy books you recommend? (for a beginner)

Brain Force

Rangers apprentice was fun (low fantasy)

>reading makes you smart

MEME
E
M
E

Asimov's sci-fi is fantastic obviously, but his other writing is also great. He's one of the smartest authors I've ever read.

>Boring Greek shit is the only acceptable reading

Read around whatever field you enjoy OP.

No joke my favorite book series when I was in middle school.

If you havent read Tolkien yet I'd recommend starting with Silmarillion. It's like a sum up of the mythology and history of the fantasy's universe. A good introduction albeit a little heavy to read but totally worth it if you can bear it. Kind of like reading the bible but I think because of all the lore it would make reading LoTR so much more enjoyable afterwards.

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein

Harry Potter by JK Rowling

Seriously, they are classics for a reason.

Also

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Of course reading by itself doesn't make you smart. Thinking about what you've read can certainly help.

>jk rowling
nice meme, she's a terrible writer

Learn a useful trade or skill, such as programming, welding, or learning another language or to play an instrument.

>consuming media in a form best suited to convey complex yet concrete ideas
>not making you smarter

New media will rot your brain

Nigga why are you recommending Harry Potter? Literally what do those books have to other other than a story about a teen age wizard running around flying on brooms and shit?

this guy is right

all these things are with you all the time

The vast majority of authors have nothing meaningful to say. Unless you're reading textbooks, all you'll be getting is marginal gains to your vocabulary.

I wouldn't disagree that the writing itself is bad, but the world and characters are good. He asked for beginner fantasy, this is about as basic as it gets.

How is LOTR books compared to movies?
I found the movies to be incredibly fucking boring, are the books more fun?

If you thought the movies were dry, you will not get through the first chapter of fellowship. Tolkein was a fantastic world builder, but a storyteller he was not.

Honestly, if you found the movies boring you probably won't like the books. Tolkein is very descriptive in his writing, and the books have much slower pacing than the movies, at least in my memory of reading them.

Ok thanks guys

I watched the movies first like back when they were released and didn't like them either. I read the books and enjoyed it. Then I watched the movies again interested in seeing how they put the things on the big screen and I liked them more than previously.

Basically they left some stuff out of the movies and the source material is always better than the adaption anyways.

Good selection, a lot of them not recommended for beginners

Learn chess, or better yet, Go. Go players push chess players around and call them brainlets.

Read philosophy. Marcus Aurelius' Meditations is a good place to start.

Read history. Military history is easily accessible for guys.

Don't watch TV. Stay off Veeky Forums.

Yes Harry Potter is a book series written for children. Not optimal for brain gains.

Take some time to think

For philosophy i also recommend Locke: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding. Not an easy read, but a good foundation on understanding

>Harry Potter by JK Rowling
t. 12 year old

If you want to keep up on current events the most intelligent and objective source imo is the Wall Street Journal. If you're a student its $15 for 15 weeks and you'll look scholarly as fuck reading an actual newspaper.

>Go players push chess players around
citation needed

The original Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin; if there is such thing as patrician fantasy, this is it. She's the most talented fantasy writer I've ever read, the world and characters are mature, engaging and engrossing, and each book is better than the last. Most of the novels deal with some pretty trite (or "classic" if you want to call it that) themes and plot lines, but the world feels so original and handcrafted that you won't get exhausted reading them.

Just don't read the other books after the first three.

Number of possible chess games: 10^120
Number of possible Go games: 10^(10*48)

Christians: 1
Xbox: 0

>just don't waste your life reading the current popular fantasy series
>but LOTR is fine!!!

What do you want? If you want actual brain gains, don't read for pleasure. Read things which are hard to understand

It's be hard but it'll humble you.

Scifi is for nu male man children. Reddit-tier behaviour from you user.

We need to know where you start

Give stats
>Highest level of education
>What was the last thing you read? And how long ago?
>How much of a brainlet are you?

You're welcome.

>Comes to the hallowed halls of Veeky Forums for guidance on how to get smrt
>Throwing all this shit at someone who more than likely has a reading level at or below highschool level

Just start reading things that look interesting to you, keep it short/simple enough to get through in a couple of days. Keep doing this until you get faster, look up words/phrases you don't fully get but don't pick a book that you'll need to constantly look shit up or you'll run the risk of losing interest halfway through.

Yes it is fine because it's not pop fiction trash. It's a calssic. You should always read the classics first to have a good point of comparison. If you want to read fucking Martins autism sperg-outs afterwards you might actually enjoy them more as a result.

whats the point of reading "The Prince" now, it has no meaning in todays world. Most of the stuff thats talked about in that book doesnt apply in this world, theres no tradional kings etc... Someone explain this to me....

>actually recommending ayn rand

edgy

Philosophy aside, she's a terrible writer

>Not being economically illiterates means i'm a Bernie cuck
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs"

Everything helps train your brain. Even fitness or simple social activities.

But the best thing to do, is something completely new.

>starting with the silmarillion
Good god, we want him to enjoy reading, user.

god i miss /fitlit/

Just finished The Black Company. I would recommend starting with it over LotR unless you're just really dedicated to the idea of reading Tolkien first.

I'm a history major, so it's interesting for its original context. Same as reading any other primary source.

>I'm a history major
Don't you mean barista?

Fuck I've got to get around to tackling math fear. When I was in school I remember I'd have some success grasping individual lessons. But as they tended to build on what was taught before I tended to forget older lessons and my comprehension just crumbled. Planted a seed of doubt that my memory may be terribly weak.

>starting with Silmarillion
that's a great way to make sure this guy will never read another fantasy book again

Go is great and all but I don't think I've ever met a person that could play, understand or even appreciate a game of Go. In western societies players of chess are plentiful and almost everyone can at least tell what's going on.

Asimov and Orson Scott Card are literature before they are science fiction
the problem is loading up on the reverse, like Heinlen.

>Harry Potter
fuck off

Was Cesare Borgia a king

fake news

>suggest a non-academic journal
begone, brainlet