/career thread/

/career thread/

I'm up a bit later tonight working on some configs, documents, and finishing up some work

Anyone want to talk about work, IT engineering world? I'm putting in some late night work so don't want to get too bored tonight. I'm an engineer..

Other urls found in this thread:

udemy.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What do you look for in an intern?

>Don't have one

I was an educational paraprofessional, because I had a shit degree that doesn't get me a job.
But I was pressured to move.

And god forbid, getting that same kind of job again is hard.

I started as an intern. Work hard, have something to say and get to know people

In meetings, study as much as you can so you would have something to bring up, they might not listen at first since you're an intern but if you know what you are doing and you have some background in your field don't be afraid to speak up. That's what every field needs is someone with a backbone and someone who can mix/mingle with many different people around the office and with other depts...

Coffee making skills, preferably female and attractive, if male then beta and slav-like

Find something else to do and get in, careers and industries change all the time. With some work and some persistence you can find something.

ty career pepe

Oh boy, now I can even share my sob story on Veeky Forums!

>fell for the math major meme
>been making $11/hr after I graduated
>my peers are all high school grads
>depression and lack of motivation have made it difficult to take online programming classes or anything of any use

You can learn programming online

udemy.com

What do you need help with?

Infosec (mainly cryptography) and wireless engineer here, ama

Dude math can be big in my field, I'm this user

If you have a math background you can be doing a lot in the crypto field. Anywhere near Cali?

I earned my teeth in the field starting with infosec

Whats your role? You mention crpyo.. so I'm guessing you work in a GS type role? Tier 1 at a MSP?

>interview for a $45/hr position on thursday
>spent $400(all of my savings) on a nice outfit

fuck me i hope i get this job. I wanna be middle class.

I work mainly in FIPS-140 validations and consultation now.

You'll make it man, just put your heart into the interview, be sincere. Got me my job, I was making min wage for years, that job saved my life.

>FIPS-140
You have a clearance lvl?

Are you former military ?

I'm currently trying to learn programming, right now I work night shifts at a retard home so I can do basically whatever during my shift but it's only for the summer, I'm starting college this fall.

Right now I'm planning on going into medicine and it'd be nice to know programming to be able to do some freelance work and things like that, and maybe get a career in it if I get good enough, but is it realistic to become a freelancer if you're self taught?

I always keep reading that the amount of jobs available for programmers is greater than the amount of programmers out there but can you really get a job if you don't have a college degree in the field?

>You have a clearance lvl?
Yes, but honestly don't need it too often.

>Are you former military ?
Nah, my brother and best friends were in it, saw how it was draining and trapping them and decided private sector was for me.

You have to practice, and honestly I wouldn't like programming as a career, but if you want to try for it, go ahead. I just was never the software type, more networking and whatnot

Unfortunately no, although I have a friend out in LA that really wants me to move out there with him. If I find a job I'll move anywhere. Do you need additional education? My GPA was only 3.24 because of a creeping depression that really wrecked my grades, so I'm not super stellar on paper.

It's not that it's hard, it's just hard to motivate myself. I got so burnt out studying this thing I used to love that turned into writing proofs and set theory and other shit I didn't care about, and after I graduated and couldn't find anything that would hire me I got into this slump.

I think Data Science might be up my alley, but paying for more school sounds like a terrible time.

Starting bachelors of science in Mech Eng in 3 weeks, any tips?

Bachelor's and preferably some knowledge of computers and a crypto understand. Applied crypto and crypto engineering both books by Bruce Schneier would be a good start.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd do it as a career but I could probably do it a few years if I could actually find something that doesn't require a degree but that seems pretty unlikely unless you get into some small startup company or something like that.

>tfw left my career as a subsea engineer to get a masters in aerospace
>trying to pretend to be a poor college student again

Learn time management and it's easy. Pretend studying is your job.

Thanks, do you recommend getting a master's right after bachelors or do what you did?

>tfw been sitting around most of the year doing fuck all while waiting to get through several hurdles to get into grad school

fuck this shit

Don't hold yourself back due to previous set backs...

How hard is Computer Science? I'm gonna start university as a comp sci major next month

depends on how smart you are, how good are you with math and logic

i'm good at math if i work really hard

also what do you mean by logic? If you mean by solving puzzles, I'm alright at it.

Also, what's the difference between Computer Science and Computer Engineering?

Engineering is a lot more focused on the actual parts that comprise computers. CS is more concerned with the application of rapid computation to algorithms and stuff like that.

Computer science is much more abstract and conceptual, engineering is solving real world issues

Computer "science" won't give you a decent job in IT. Study something more practical and what's just started to trend in IT world

Comp Sci dude here

I'm not planning to go into IT and im not OP either

oh ok i see.

>Hard
>Computer science
Choose one

Might vary a bit by culture, company (smaller and/or less bureaucratic is usually better, pure IT is probably more likely than IT dept in a non-IT company too), sector (e.g. not banking etc), ...
At my company (small, pure IT : custom development services for medium and big companies) we've had several people with unrelated college degrees, some with no college degrees, and one who didn't even finish high school.
If you want to get hired without a degree, you best have (at least 1, preferably at least 2) :
-experience
-a nice portfolio that proves you're passionate about IT and can learn by yourself
-good social skills
And expect to start at a lower pay grade until you get a chance to prove your worth

I recently got a project manager/marketing manager position for a real estate investor. Pretty cool gig plus I can do some construction work if I felt like going out and getting my hands dirty