Is there any point for a regular...

Is there any point for a regular, non-Olympian person to incorporate the Olympic lifts in their routine or are they just used for showing off?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspot.sk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
youtube.com/watch?v=ALRviFplPD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah if you like them. If you're a regular, non-Olympic person who gives a fuck what you're doing in the gym. just do what you enjoy.

I have the same exact doubt and since pic related is my goal body i always wondered if i should focus on clean & jerks and snatches

Idk should people who play basketball after work with their friends do it because they want to show off or because they enjoy the sport?

Functionality? High pulls and trap bar jump squats.

I'm talking about if there's any benefit in doing them compared to other lifts

>Is there any point for a regular, non-Powerlifting person to incorporate the Powerlifting lifts in their routine or are they just used for showing off?

>Is there any point for a regular, non-bodybuilding person to incorporate bodybuilding lifts in their routine or are they just used for showing off?

I think you missed op's point. Assuming you deadlift, squat and ohp those are all movements that the olympic lifts also incorporate into one explosive movement which is considered a prime display of strength. I mean, I am not entirely sure since I don't do those but i assume someone with great numbers in deadlifts, squats and ohp would also have good numbers on snatch/c&j

read

Lifts that require technique, and discipline to perform as well as requiring the entire body to be in shape to perform said lifts.
You tell me.

Shut up.

Compelling argument

>Is there any point for a regular, non-Olympian person to incorporate the Olympic lifts in their routine or are they just used for showing off?
they reward power and strength and they demand mobility, coordination, and technical mastery. a person who is competent at the Olympic lifts will have a strong deadlift, squat, and OHP; the converse is false. (bear in mind that most people lack the mobility to even overhead squat.) there's a steep learning curve, but maybe you enjoy developing mastery. whether you want to do them or not is up to you

Is there any point for a regular, non-bodyweight person to incorporate bodyweight exercises in their routine or are they just used for showing off?

they are a combination of lifts so they require great technique. for gains you are probably better off doing default ones

They're fun to do and good for you.

they're not worth learning unless you have a coach. you'll plateau and never make progress

>non-Olympian
What the hell does that even mean
Do you eat food despite not being a competitive eater? Fuck that was dumb
Depends on your goal
>aesthetics
Absolutely, categorically, no
>athleticism
Probably yes
Keep that shit in next time

any good oly routine for beginners?

Yes, get a coach

>(12 KB, 167x250)
Is this bait?

can't, no one does oly where i live

>A
Snatch 6x2
Power clean + push press 5x3+3
Press 5x5
High bar squat 3x5
>B
Clean & Jerk 6x2
Power snatch 5x3
Press 5x5
Front squat 3x5

If you don't like doing shrugs and don't want to break a barbell with rackpulls abive the knee, olympic lifts or just power shrugs are great for overloading your traps.

Other than that, they're mostly just leg work. If you have good technique, your max clean is pretty much your max front squat so it's good for legs. The snatch is more about overhead stability and isometric upper body strength.

All in all, it's just for fun. If you don't intend on competing, there's no reason why you'd do cleans, snatches or jerks, unless you enjoy doing them.

Olympic lifts are how we scale power (the amount of force produced divided by the time needed to produce it) as we increase our strength (just force)
Using Olympic lifts can help a person become more explosive as they come up from the bottom of a squat, resulting in an easier lift.

Olympic weightlifting provides a certain amount of benefits over other "power" focused exercises.

Unlike sprinting, sprinting can't be incrementally loaded. Sure, I can just keep running faster, but the benefit of a Clean over sprinting is that it actually trains muscles that matters
Unlike dynamic effort deadlifts, it's possible to fail. Dynamic effort deadlifts are those stupid things where the deadlift is wrapped to the platform with rubber bands. It's possible to grind out a dynamic effort deadlift resulting in less force production over a period of time. With a clean, within that second of triple extension, you've either were able to generate the power required, or you weren't able to.
The similar thing applies to "speed" exercises where the main goal is to preform lighter weights but very quickly.

Ask any questions you want about olympic lifts. I'll answer them to the best of my ability

When you lift, you should have a goal in mind.

If your goal is to be good at Olympic lifts, you need to practice Olympic lifts.
If your goal is to show off using Olympic lifts, they are kind of required to meet that.
If your goal is pretty much anything else, not doing the Olympic lifts isn't really going to interfere with your goal.

>If you don't like doing shrugs and don't want to break a barbell with rackpulls abive the knee, olympic lifts or just power shrugs are great for overloading your traps.
another user, another suggestion: clean pulls and snatch pulls are good lifts for someone to practice if they don't have access to an oly coach. (Torokhtiy has some beautiful videos of them.) they, esp snatch pulls, can be treated as assistance exercises for the deadlift

The reason why it's so impossible to make a general purpose beginner olympic weightlifting routine is because we use different types of exercises in different occasions.

If a beginner has difficulty learning the drop in a clean or a snatch, we would tell him to preform a tall clean for a higher amount of reps. If a beginner has difficulty engaging the traps, we would use a muscle clean

It really also depends on what stage you are. If you are a complete novice, you'll just be better off sticking to a strength routine for now. If you're a intermediate, you'd need to focuse on learning the lifts. Once you've gotten that down, you could start to specialize in doing Olympic weightlifting routines like Bulgarian

Why are my shoulders unable to brace the weight once my snatch gets above my head?
A couple times, the bar almost sank into my noggin. My OHP is fine, but somehow the snatch opens my shoulders to a point where weakness emerges.

>any idea ?

I just do them cuz they're fun lel. Also helps in explosiveness if you play an actual sport. (Read: Team Sports and Track/Field)

Explosiveness. My sprint speed and agility and tackling ability went sky high after I started learning olympics.

It's probably because you need to get a better position holding the bar. You'd want to angle your arms in such a way that they are "locked" in position.

It also depends on your arm length. If your arms are too short, you might want to consider narrowing your grip a little.

For tips, here is a section from Olympic Weightlifting by Greg Everett
>Squeeze the upper inside edges of the shoulder blades together forcefully
>Squeeze the elbows forecefully in full extension
>Orient the bony points of the elbows approximately halfway between down and back
>allow the hand and wrist to settle in with a relatively loose grip, keeping the bar in the palm slightly behind the middle of the forearm
>Keep the head up and pushed forward slightly through the arms
>Keep the barbell vertically above the base of the neck
It's a good and thick book. If you're serious about learning the lifts, you should check it out

Also, practice doing overhead squats for the meanwhile.

I think I need to make sure the "inside" of my elbows are facing forward, so there is no chance of collapse except for severe damage. Kind of like your person in red in the pic.

Thanks for the tips.

Well yeah, that's what
>Orient the bony points of the elbows approximately halfway between down and back
meant

I said just to practice overhead squats because it could be a little bit troubling for beginners to learn the correct muscle patterns. You might find yourself going to the incorrect position when you land the catch

But really, practice makes perfect. First few times overhead squatting for me, I fell on my ass and nearly broke my neck. It's a great assistance exercise

>I don't want to look like a show off
I've being training olympics lifts on a regular gym and I don't think people are giving a damn. Or maybe I just don't care anymore. I mean, there will always be that guy that will be judging you no matter what, but as long as you have your goals set up and you're not bothering anyone in a significant way, don't let their judgement annoy you.

>incorporating olympic lifts to a regular gym routine
Based on my experience, training oly weightlifting helps a lot to strength, to mobility, flexibility, explosiveness. If you get the proper diet and suplements it could help to your aesthetics to.
Despite this, I highly recommend to find a coach. The lifts are difficult to master. No matter how many vids you watch, how many articles you read about them, you'll be having a hard time getting the proper technique just by yourself.

I've seen there are different schools. When I was new my coach had me training the basic stuff (squats, over head squats, front squats, press) along with the oly lifts.
>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspot.sk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq

WRONG

The LSUS weightlifting team has a decent template posted. Just practice jerk and OHS on push day, and practice the snatch and clean on pull day. Try it for a few months, and make changes based on what you suck at.

Not bad. Only change I would make is to clarify that you power clean your strict press.

Tight shoulders from bench press. Overhead squats and drop snatches can be one solution

>Your person in red
>Not recognizing Dima
Every day we stray further from Klokov's grace

>Every day we stray further from Klokov's grace
In the name of our Father, yes blyat. youtube.com/watch?v=ALRviFplPD4