Is calisthenics a meme for nogym poorfags?

Cannot currently afford a gym membership (living in BE for the summer, fuck me right) but work gives me access to a small "fitness room" with machines and a few kettle bells. Am I better off using the machines (which i'm not a fan of because muh compounds) or doing calisthenics with a variety of pushups and whatnot?

for background have been doing SS for about a year but only been taking my diet and sleep seriously for a few months

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
youtube.com/watch?v=4dF1DOWzf20
youtube.com/watch?v=NHjsROer218
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Depends, do you want to work out to actually become strong and athletic? Then do calisthenics, if you want to work only to look big and get laid then go to the gym

This.

Also, doing something is better than nothing

>Depends, do you want to work out to actually waste your time while increasing autism? Then do calisthenics, if you want to work only to look big and get laid then go to the gym

>Waste your time
I know right, look at those Olympic gymnasts, calisthenics are such a waste of time, they should only lift to get laid instead because that surely isn't a waste of time

Listen up fag, your olympic gymnasts lift fucking weights, and have help with their hormones on the side. Good luck to you with your natty calisthenics goals. Keep us updated on your progress.

>stronglet detected

You really think those dudes dont lift weights? Seriously?

calisthenics aren't a meme.
you can look just fine doing only calisthenics.
I'm 6'3" 185 and all I do is bodyweight.
I've seen plenty of other calisthenics guys in cbts look good as well

Weightlifting is a very small part of their training you retards, these people train for hours a day from the age of 4

both would be nice (obviously) but i prioritise strength. i feel like strong is always possible, looking big is a luxury when i can afford creatine and gym memby etc
good shit, i'd be happy to look like that as long as theres functional strength behind it. do you have a strict program or is it a case of train what feels weak?

simply progressing toward big movements like iron crosses, 1 arm chinup, 1 arm handstand pushups etc.
just look up progression programs and stretches. don't go too fast or you'll tear/strain tendons super easily.
look into buying a 30 dollar set of rings

yep, but just how long did it take you to look like that?

sports in school, lifting since 2008, but never super serious. I don't pay attention to calories or macros, I don't meal prep, I work out 3 days a week, stretching on rest days
been doing calisthenics for about a year only getting into progressions in the last few months

how do you "progress" to a 1 arm CU? surely either youve got both hands on the bar or one?

various ways of taking weight off of one of your arms. currently I do a lot of archer pullups with a 1 arm negative on each rep

Archer chin-ups/pull-ups are a good intermediate

I'd get started with calisthenics until you have a solid baseline fitness and then complement it with weightlifting if you feel like you want more size, but you can go very far with just calisthenics.

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

When you're doing calisthenics you need to progress to more and more difficult exercises. If you can buy gymnastics rings and have somewhere to hang them then that's great because with rings you can do all kinds of exercises, from super easy stuff to things that almost require superhuman strength like iron crosses.

as i say, i've been on SS (gym at uni) and historic cardio for sports purposes so the baseline is bretty gud if i say so myself but i've never really looked into calisthenics beyond crossfit memes.

fucking perfect, this looks like just what i need, most progressions i've been able to google have 3-4 steps max. gracias.

>tfw progressive overload weightlifting plus low body fat allows you to do all those meme exercises while still looking good

Can someone explain to me how to do a proper push-up? As usual the internet has confused the fuck out of me.

1. lie on floor
2. push
3. fall down but slowly
4. repeat

...Okay.

Calisthenics can work if you put in twice as much time to workout

I was in great shape doing 80% bodyweight workout with 20% weights, but that was when I had time to workout 6 days a week for 90 minutes a day

The average person working out only 3 times a week doing calisthenics will look like shit compared to the person putting in the same time weightlifting

antranik of reddit can,
youtube.com/watch?v=4dF1DOWzf20

calisthenics is better for upperbody strength AND hyperthrophy

barbells are better for lowerbody strength and hyperthrophy

This is actually pretty good. Thanks, user.

>lifting for 10 years already
>yeah man, I only do calisthenics
So if someone wants to look good like you only doing calisthenics, they need to first lift weights for 10 years.

If you ran a PPLPPLx from now until Christmas, you'd make some serious aesthetic gains. You're limiting your potential.

You're retarded beyond help.
Olympic gimnasts only supplement their bodyweight training with weights. That means that weights are only a tiny part of their training regimen.
If it was otherwise, Klokov would be able to do an iron cross. However, we know that he would break himself trying to do one.
Stupid cunts.

Calisthenics are great if you know how to properly progress. Standard pullups, dips, pushups, squats, lunges and handstands can get you into pretty decent shape. Past a certain point you need to start doing levers, paralette and ring work to ascend to elite levels of strength. But by the time you get there you probably won't have this hangup about needing to do just one kind of training.

As an aside, gymnasts do use weights, but not in the way that you think. They will do weighted muscle ups on rings, dips, pullups, etc. They will do squats and calve raises while holding their teammates. And they also use dumbbells to simulate ring work - particularly inverted crosses, planches and Maltese crosses, which dumbbells are very effective for training.

This is not bad, however
>increase by no more than one rep every session
Huge waste of time to progress that slowly.

>never do pushups and dips the same day
There is no reason for this.

If you want to be strong and athletic then you should do sprints and plyo shit not spin around on a bar for a bit.

>hurr durr autism
>hurr durr you smol

Do you realize how much upper body strength is required to "spin around on a bar for a bit"? You wouldn't even be able to swing back and forth on the bar for more than a minute

Nobody has an almost 600lb deadlift and 135 bench

weighted push ups
weighted chins
dips
kettlebell swings
hill sprints

I can't go to the gym either now, but I've done some lifting for about a year or so, I weigh around 180lbs at 5'10 and my goal now is to have visible abs (which I have) and a better lower body. I do street workout stuff, which isn't great, I know, especially for legs, but I compensate by doing it every day and it's the best option I have atm. I also do stuff like chin ups and whatever, probably not as frequently anymore since I started to focus on abs and legs, but I used to do it daily as well, remnants from trying to do Greyskull at a bro gym. I can do muscle ups, around 5 at a time, not flawless but not bad either.

So one time I come to the pull up bar to do some stuff, and I see these 2 DYELS there. One is kinda chubby, other weighs around 110lbs and is like 5'6. He says he's been doing gymnast and calisthenic shit for some time. His muscle ups are impeccable, he's very low body fat, but he's a fucking twig and literally never did legs in his life, and how hard are muscle ups at that weight anyway?

My point is, don't be like those fags.

Calisthenics are good enough for the military.

I mainly lift weights but I have a pullup bar and some rings at home.

Is it a good idea to do some dips, pullups, levers, etc on my days off, or should I only do it on training days?

Of course you donkey, it's a joke.
Get a clue.

>doing taxing exercises that you can most likely only half-rep on rest days
Try it, provide feedback.

I can do 15 pullups and about 10 ring dips at a time. Can't hold a proper lever or planche though.

I personally love calisthenics. Rings can give you a great workout. If you can do
> Archer ring dips
>One arm push ups
>Archer pill ups
>Tuck front lever rows
>Handstand push ups
>Shrimp squats
Then you'll look pretty good. Toss in L site or dragon flags for abs, ring face pulls and chest fly's and some ring curls and tricep extensions and you'll be golden.

youtube.com/watch?v=NHjsROer218

just a reminder the subjects of those greek statues primarily did calisthenics. weights are a jewish meme

You talk like you can only do one or the other. Why not do both?

So according to you powerlifters aren't the autists here.

you missed the part about me not taking lifting very seriously.
I enjoy only working out 3 days a week.

So we all know there are only so many planes of movement for the human body right, and both bodyweight and bar work can be interchanged for them. E.g. horizontal push:
>bar: bench press
>calisthenics: (weighted) pushups
My question is, what's the bodyweight equivalent of the vertical push, the overhead press? And could it be dips? Obviously one pushes with arms oriented upward, the other downward, but they're both on the vertical plane , right?

Handstand Pushups

"Athletcism" is relative to the sport. If you think one type of training is more "athletic" than another you are an idiot.

To answer your question OP, do what you prefer. Personally I would do calisthenics like I already do now, you could incorporate machines and kettle bells into your workouts as well, its all up to you.
How is calisthenics a waste of time? I think you are the autust here.
Agreed. Pic related is me.

I don't get why poor calisthenic fags don't just incorporate cheap dumbells from wholesale places into their routines.
For $100 you can get two 45lb kettlebells. If you want to be really cheap, you can just get sandbags and wrap them in canvas and ducttape.

Either way most people can get decent leg gains doing split squats and lunges with 90lbs of weight. Obviously tying a 45lb weight to your waist for chins or dips will massively increase strength over time.

Tell me how a cheap dumbbell will aid my training and ill get one

>not using Starting Calf and carrying a growing calf on your shoulders every day
You'll never be like Milo of Croton

>People who get big from lifting weights are weak
When will this men die?

Yes. Any and all decent "calisthenics" guy has a gym membership.
>actually become strong and athletic
neck yourself, as a natty strength IS size (with very few exceptions) and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is a meme.

What makes you think all decent calisthenic guys have gym memberships?
Some of my favorite ones have memberships in gymnastic gyms, but not commercial gyms.
I dont have a gym membership either and id say im "decent" but not advanced yet.

tfw you'll never go down in history as dying when "attempting to tear a tree apart when his hands became trapped in a crevice in its trunk, and a pack of wolves surprised and devoured him."

hah look at this guy, thinks "size" of muscles and strength are related!

*snorts into gluten free whey*

Okay.
You can't do this program with bodyweight only
>3x3 jump squats with 45 lbs
x3 max height jump attempts
You will never increase your jump height as much as a person who trains like this. Without greasing the grove with weight, you can't trick your CNS into allowing higher jumps. Depth jumps only go so far.

A 180 lb person who can pistol squat two 45lb dumbells could casually enter a novice powerlifting squat comp with a week of practice and squat over 315. A bodyweight only person can't do that.

A person who can lunge with 90lbs for 30 steps can maintain high sprint speeds while bicycling that a bodyweight only competitor would struggle to match.
I primarily train as a rower and I've never met a person who can do 2000m in under 6:30 who doesn't train with at least some lifting routines.

Bodyweight exercises can make decent climbers but not good overall athletes.

Hmmm did I miss something? When Did I say I want to jump high or sprint fast? Are you a track and field athlete yourself?
I don't compete in any sports since I stopped wrestling in high school so I dont know why id be worried about any sport let alone jumping.

Ronnie Coleman could row over 5 pl8.
do you think he can do a 1 arm pull up?

I get what you're saying though.
a person who does 1 arm pullups with 85lbs strapped to them will be stronger at doing 1 arm pullups than a person who does them with no weight
this only applies to exercises that can go no further in terms of difficulty without adding weight though.
that's not even taking endurance into consideration.

I'm 6'1 and 150lbs, been running pplpplx for a month now. Will I be aesthetic for Christmas?